Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2020, 20:52   #721
BHPian

Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Booked a test drive for the T-Roc atleast a month ago, finally its coming to our place for the test drive. Will go ahead and book it if the drive goes well. Planning to get the Indium Grey.

A few things I know T-Roc misses out on but I'm okay with:-

1. Soft touch interiors - I honestly don't understand the hate its receiving for the overuse of hard plastic in the interiors. I recently sat in the Seltos, Compass and Harrier (neither of them I believe are the competitors to the T-Roc because all are cater to different type of buyer altogether but I tried it for the closely matched price) It's just my personal opinion, they felt even cheaper than T-Roc. What I can agree with is that its not on the "Volkswagen" levels of quality but its definitely build to last and anyway better than competition. (NOT talking about the Karoq here)

2. Cruise Control - Looking at it as a slightly bigger car to replace my beloved 1.2L Polo which means 90% of its usage will be in Delhi traffic I'm sure atleast I won't miss having CC in a city car in Delhi. My 2019 BMW X1 also misses out on Cruise Control.

3. Space - I don't know why I see people comparing it to the Skoda Karoq. As of today the difference between these two cars is Rs 6.5 Lacs, to put it into perspective its like getting a T-Roc AND a Polo Comfortline for the price of the Skoda Karoq. To me that difference is huge and not something an average Indian customer will overlook. For a car which will mainly seat 2 people on daily basis and occasionally a few friends and upgrading from Polo. The size makes perfect sense for my needs atleast

4. Powered Front Seats - Going by experience. Since the day I took the delivery of my BMW X1 which was more than a year ago, I have tinkered with my seat settings just twice. So although it's pretty cheap of VW to exclude it from the feature list, if the T-Roc delivers good on the driving feel with that sweet sweet 1.5 TSI, compact size and that wide stance, I'm willing to forgive this.

Will be able to add more to this after the test drive tomorrow.

Still confused about the rear suspension, My SA is quite confident about the Independent link suspension, I even asked from 3-4 different dealers and their technical staff.

There's already a lot of pictures in the forum but if anyone wants some specific pictures then tell me because the car will be at my place for atleast 2-3hours.

Will update tomorrow

Last edited by namanchaudhary : 21st July 2020 at 20:55.
namanchaudhary is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 22:06   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
discontinuing the car very soon?
Its quite possible, if they cannot sell all the cars in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post

1. Soft touch interiors
2. Cruise Control
3. Space
4. Powered Front Seats

Still confused about the rear suspension, My SA is quite confident about the Independent link suspension, I even asked from 3-4 different dealers and their technical staff.
It was known from European reviews that the interiors are going to be hard. I feel BHPians here did not anticipate them to be so bad that even the door handles creak. As described in all reviews, the plastics are "VW UNLIKE" in this car.
VW seems to have compensated this cost cutting in Europe by way of providing host of driver oriented features. Sadly they made it to Indian variant. Dropping CC was shocker in my view.
Space is definitely about individual requirement. However for adults, sitting at the rear, they certainly feel that they are sitting very close to the front seats. And also there isn't ample head room, but is just sufficient.

As far as the powered seats, I never expected them to add this, as this is not there in EU in any of the variants. It could have been a pleasant surprise if they had done so and won some hearts !

As far as suspension is concerned, it indeed is torsion beam. There are pictures of the suspension elsewhere in this thread. As far as independent suspension is concerned, that's offered only in 4 motion variant elsewhere, if I am right.

Irrespective of the disappointment, the car is still nice to own, albeit with those shortcomings.

BTW, the cars seem to be manufactured in Dec 2019. Got one VIN verified. If one is going for the purchase, there is no point in delaying.
tristis2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 15:26   #723
BHPian

Happy to announce that I went ahead and booked the T-Roc after seeing an Indium Grey color in person which was there for delivery.

The test drive car which came to my place was white and a brand new vehicle which had only done 340km in total. A few pointers -

1. The car seem/is wide specially if you consider how low the roof line is, being the sportier cousin of the conventional looking T-Cross. The stance inspires confidence.

2. Interiors are lacking in quality, there's no two way about it but not THAT bad. Willing to let that go because of the drive and feel of it while sitting in the driver's seat. They will eventually grow on you.

3. Size is just perfect for what we needed. A compact, high riding, fun to drive crossover for city runs and occasional high way runs. Karoq is bigger but if Skoda would've brought in the Kamiq via CBU route that would be a fair comparison.

4. Even after having plenty of experience with the DQ 200 DSG in the GT TSI. It felt different in the T-Roc, much more smoother and seemless. in S mode the car is properly quick. Drive in a linear manner in D mode and you'll be rewarded by how good the performance is, while being efficient and the NVH levels are quite low in D mode and a good snarl comes in the cabin in S mode.

5. VW's version of Audi's Virtual Cockpit is a joy to look at and takes the eyes away from the hard plastics. Pretty functional for someone who uses Google Maps a lot.

6. The test drive car had Michelin rubber on it with a Goodyear spare wheel. The Indium Grey which was there for delivery had Continentals. So, the SA told me they have no control on which brand of tires are going to come with it, depends on the lot.

7. Automatic lights sensor seemed to be too sensitive for my liking. Even around 4pm when I drove it there was plenty of sunlight, the lights remained on in auto mode.

8. The windshield washer spray makes a VW logo on the windshield. There are a few more touches like that all over the car.

9. 1.5 TSI Evo paired that suspension setup is a joy for driving enthusiasts.

10. The bonnet creases look particularly great and I get why VW has gone with a lil more 'funky' colors for the seats. I drove the 5 seat version of the Tigaun when it came and I remember how my parents complained it to be too 'dark' inside for their liking with black leather seats and black interiors. And even in international markets VW positions T-Roc as a 'funkier' and bolder option as compared to their conventional offerings

So, all in the all I feel that at 22.8L on road Delhi the car is not priced bad at all. Its not a steal as well but consider that it's a CBU and in true sense there are no other direct rivals to it, the price isn't bad at all.

It's a pretty well packaged car and even with the few features it misses out on, it makes up for it nicely once you start driving it. It caters to a very specific type of buyer and definitely those type of buyers exist in our market but not for someone who'll compare it to the Harrier or Seltos or Compass etc just because of the price.

Last edited by namanchaudhary : 24th July 2020 at 15:36.
namanchaudhary is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 15:36   #724
BHPian

I had booked a T-ROC in March. Cancelled it yesterday. I test drove one.
Drives great. Is very wide and feels like a very big car from the drivers seat. I would have preferred this Car, had I been in my 20's and required single driving car.
However, it fails as a family car. The rear seats are low and tight. This, when compared to the Kia seltos showroom, just next door in Noida, makes the Kia a no Brainer.
Old 24th July 2020, 15:54   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
Happy to announce that I went ahead and booked the T-Roc after seeing an Indium Grey color in person which was there for delivery.
The test drive car had Michelin rubber on it with a Goodyear spare wheel. The Indium Grey which was there for delivery had Continentals. So, the SA told me they have no control on which brand of tires are going to come with it, depends on the lot.
It's a pretty well packaged car and even with the few features it misses out on, it makes up for it nicely once you start driving it. It caters to a very specific type of buyer and definitely those type of buyers exist in our market but not for someone who'll compare it to the Harrier or Seltos or Compass etc just because of the price.
Congratulations. As you said there are people in the market for this type of vehicle. It is far better than the Seltos or Creta if you don't need a bigger car.
My Father-in-laws T Roc came with Bridgestone Turanzas all round.
Amsdoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 16:06   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
I had booked a T-ROC in March. Cancelled it yesterday. I test drove one.
Drives great. Is very wide and feels like a very big car from the drivers seat. I would have preferred this Car, had I been in my 20's and required single driving car.
However, it fails as a family car. The rear seats are low and tight. This, when compared to the Kia seltos showroom, just next door in Noida, makes the Kia a no Brainer.
Yes, I can agree with this. It cannot be a primary family car, the rear seats are best suited for 2 average sized people. As I said, whatever I wrote was from my perspective. I'm in my 20s and either way in my garage it won't a primary car, there's very specific void in my garage that this car fills nicely.

That said, car buying process today is a personal choice hence I won't get down to any comparison. So, wish you all the best with the Seltos.
Old 25th July 2020, 21:26   #727

I went and saw Tucson today. For 3 more lakhs OTR, is this is a better buy? I really liked the space, both interior and boot, liked that it has electrical front seats, cruise control, bigger panoramic roof, and plusher interior quality.

Also, considering Tucson is assembled in India, maintenance will be easier. I mean VW couldn't even give me an estimate of when T-Roc Indium Grey will be delivered, and if they are so bad in planning a car that is already in their yard, what can I expect if I have to get a spare part?

On the negatives, I've heard bad fuel economics for Tucson. No Lane assist or front assist either. Any more negatives in comparison to T-Roc that other can fathom?

I am going to do a test drive in a couple of days (pre-facelift car's TD as the new version TD car has not arrived). I want to check the ride quality essentially.

After ditching Compass for T-roc, I may ditch T-Roc for a Tucson :-) now, let's see.
Old 25th July 2020, 22:02   #728
BHPian

A lot of prospective buyers have the grouse that there is no cruise control in the t roc, whereas it's there in the higher spec models of the t roc in Europe. My question is , can't one buy it as an accessory online from VW Europe and have it fitted in the car. It shouldn't cost more than 20000-30000₹.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troika View Post
A lot of prospective buyers have the grouse that there is no cruise control in the t roc, whereas it's there in the higher spec models of the t roc in Europe. My question is , can't one buy it as an accessory online from VW Europe and have it fitted in the car. It shouldn't cost more than 20000-30000₹.

Found this link. Might be compatible with the 2020 t roc.

https://wibutec-shop.com/Retrofit-ki...om-August-2018

Last edited by Vid6639 : 25th July 2020 at 23:19. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
Old 26th July 2020, 12:17   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harneet.S View Post
Side note:
In Chandigarh, Lally motors(the sole dealer) is *launching* the T-Roc and Tiguan All-space and now has a TD vehicles for both as well. So TD's will begin tomorrow - for people in/around Chandigarh who are interested.
Took a TD of the T-Roc from Lally yesterday.
The thing I liked about the TD was that he accommodated my request for a slightly longer route. Also took it to a really really bad patch for off-roading near the railway station.

Here're my impressions:

Looks:
- The first time I looked at the car in the Noida showroom, it looked really small from the outside. But this time I looked more closely, and realised it's not that bad. It's quite wide, and that strikes you first.
- It is surely one of the best looking compact SUVs available today, if not THE best. As already mentioned umpteen times, VW design language ensures that the cars' looks don't age. I'm sure the T-Roc will look relevant for years to come.
- From the drivers seat, you can see the hood and it gives the sense of driving a bigger car. The creases on the bonnet look amazing.

Engine, and Ride:
- The ride has got to be the redeeming factor for the T-Roc.
- It handles potholes reasonably well. Passengers at the back were happy.
- Took it off-road for a small patch. It's definitely not a cushy ride, and is firm. But it had an elegance to the way it handled.
- The VW rep told me to drive it faster on one section of the rough patch. The car was definitely not happy with that but wasn't unsettled either, and on two occasions I could hear thuds from the dashboard where the car really crashed into the sharper edges. But again, the rest wasn't bad at all. No rattles anywhere (it was a rather new car though).
- Brakes are quite sharp.
- Didn't really go too fast, but must've touched ~90kph at some point on the drive. The speed wasn't really felt on the inside. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. The motor didn't feel as punchy as I had expected. Having driven both the 1.2TSI (Polo GT), and 1.8TSI (Octavia), the 1.5TSI EVO felt a bit lacking in terms of outright punch.
- One thing I noticed was that when you leave the accelerator (I observed ~50kph), the car seemed to coast along without any drop in speed. Not sure if the gearbox has been tuned to allow coasting.

Interior:
- The door handles do creak. But they don't seem loose or flimsy by any means.
- No soft touch anywhere is surely sad.
- Seats feel really good.
- Space at the rear is less, but manageable. Should not be much of a problem.
- Manual adjusters for the driver's seat is a let down.
- Steering wheel is same across the VW board, and although good, doesn't make you feel special.

Another miscellaneous point, there's no TSI badging on the engine cover, when you open the hood.

Overall, I liked the car quite a lot. The exclusivity you'd get on owning one is an added plus.
We're toying with the idea for purchasing a compact SUV. T-Roc sure is in consideration.

Side note: This thread needs more pictures!
Here're the only pics I clicked y'day.

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-img_0893.jpg

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-img_0895.jpg

Last edited by veyron999 : 26th July 2020 at 12:23.
veyron999 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 12:37   #730
Distinguished - BHPian

For those who are sitting on the fence, or haven't got a chance to check the T-Roc fully yet, here's a comprehensive walkaround by Auto Trend:

Parth Oomphy shares this:

Quote:
For 5 Lakhs extra of Skoda Karoq over VW T-Roc you get:

1. Bigger car with more space and 200mm ground clearance (same as XUV 500)

2. Vienna Leather Dual tone beige and black interiors like Superb L&K or Kodiaq (VW has all black)

3. 10 colour Ambient cabin lighting

4. 4 way Electric Lower back support (lumbar) in driver seats (VW has only 2 way manual lumbar support)

5. Way Bigger panaromic sunroof and boot space

6. Electric drivers seat with memory function

7. Auto dimming outside rear view mirrors with memory function

8. iBuzzer and fatigue alert system

9. 8 speakers & 9 airbags (Troc has only 6 speakers and 6 airbags)

10. Navigation with live traffic updates

11. Cruise control

12. Full LED Fog lamp projectors (Troc has halogen reflectors)

13. Skoda's simply clever things like boot storage management, in car dustbin, ticket holder, umbrella under front seats, rear camera washer, etc.

14. Better built interiors in Karoq with soft touch materials (like superb & Kodiaq). Troc has hard plastic on Dash and doors (like polo, vento).

I hope those who were confused b/w the two will benefit from my analysis.
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 15:28   #731
BHPian

Hello Bhp’ians. This is my first post and I’m ecstatic to be a part of this esteemed community. I look forward to expressing my views, ideas, participating in discussions, and most importantly receive valuable advice/opinions/thoughts from the passionate people of this community. My father and I are huge petrol heads and it’s an honor to call myself a Bhp’ian.
Now coming to the T-Roc, we’ve been following it ever since the news broke that it's coming to India and it piqued our interest quite a bit. My dad and I keenly watched the T-Roc launch live by Stephen Knapp. We were happy with what we saw and booked it immediately. We had an eye on the Karoq as well but after the pricing was announced, we were quick to eliminate it out as an option due to the 5L premium over the T-Roc. Following up after the launch with our local dealer, they said they’ll bring it over once it arrives. After a long wait due to the CO-VID/lockdown situations, it took more than 3 months for the TD vehicle to show up at our front door.
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-20200725_205240.jpg

Thoughts/Impressions:
• Love the classy Volkswagen design language - The LED lights, the perfectly sized wheels, the creases, the sloped rear-end, and the stance. It all blends together beautifully.
• Yes, its small. I don’t think it deserves the Volkswagen’s “SUV(W)” status.
• It has full LED headlamps and taillamps but no LED fog lights. This irks me as the inclusion of LED fog lights would have perfected the front facia.
• Sitting on the driver’s everything falls into place, the virtual cockpit is crisp & refreshing to look at, and the touchscreen display is angled towards the driver makes it a tad more convenient. The interior quality is not up to Volkswagen’s standards, I found it to be just fine, and it definitely isn’t a deal-breaker for us.
• Ingress and Egress into the rear seats might be a bit of a task for some folks. Once I climbed in, I found the rear seats to be really snug (I’m 5’10). It’s not very roomy, and the rear hump does eat some of the space, however for 4 people it shouldn’t be an issue, 5 would make it cramped.
• The lack of powered front seats doesn’t bother us too much, although it should be offered considering its price. The rotary dial for adjusting the backrest is annoying to use, Volkswagen could have used a simple lever instead.
• Heated front seats is a feature that we’re never going to use considering the climate we live in.
• Coming to the drive, I only got an insignificant portion of the TD run, since my dad did most of the driving. After an extensive drive over some various sections, we decided that this is the crossover to buy. Sitting in the passenger’s seat, I could make out that the T-roc had plenty of power and the DSG gearbox was also pretty slick. Ride quality is firm over bad sections of roads, but if the tarmac is smooth, the T-roc cruises comfortably. We’re also okay with the fact that the T-Roc doesn’t have cruise control, since we’re not used to having cruise control.
• Overall, the T-Roc may or may not be suitable everyone’s tastes, It’s a niche car for a niche crowd. It’s definitely unique and I’m happy that Volkswagen is testing out the market to see how it reacts.

After a week after the TD run, we went to the showroom to check out the Ravenna Blue colour, since Mom wasn’t a fan of the Kurkuma yellow. Seeing the colour in person, our family decided collectively that this is the colour to go for.
Though we are fully convinced to go ahead with a Ravenna Blue T-Roc, we have postponed our purchase to Oct/Nov. We hope the CO-VID situations by then would come under control, so we can enjoy some long drives in our new ride.
Seahawk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 17:16   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron999 View Post

The motor didn't feel as punchy as I had expected. Having driven both the 1.2TSI (Polo GT), and 1.8TSI (Octavia), the 1.5TSI EVO felt a bit lacking in terms of outright punch.

- One thing I noticed was that when you leave the accelerator (I observed ~50kph), the car seemed to coast along without any drop in speed. Not sure if the gearbox has been tuned to allow coasting.
The engine map is in Eco mode. And it remains in Eco mode all throughout. You have to put it into Sports mode and stomp on the throttle to extract performance. The engine might not perform crazy, but the way it remains flat in the corners is surreal. I did not believe crossovers, especially ones this cheap from mainstream brands could do this. This is all, I think, due to carrying over a non homologated EU suspension setup into India. I hate to do this to the tires, but I love throwing the car into corners.

What you say is correct, and I missed writing that early on, this is DSG coasting. The gearbox disengages and let
s you coast with minimal drop in speeds. All to eek out another kilometer from that litre. This is the manual transmission equivalent of coasting in neutral (which is illegal in many countries). If the gearbox is in DSG coasting, it will show only D instead of the gear you're in, like D5, for example. You can tap the brake to turn it off, though. Flick the gearbox into Sports to get rid of it.

I'm getting an OBD11 device to start tinkering with the car within this week. Weekend project, ahoy!
Harneet.S is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 19:10   #733
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the pics, and the superb write-up. The car looks stellar, indeed! It does have that 'age-less' feel about it. This silver is the best in its iteration that I've seen so far. I'm looking forward to the new XUV500, or else would have put this in my consideration set. Minor irritant, if I may add here; VW made a mistake in providing heated seats in such a hot country as ours, bit of a misfire there. Seltos has very good cooled seats (as a benchmark)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron999 View Post
VW design language ensures that the cars' looks don't age. I'm sure the T-Roc will look relevant for years to come.

Last edited by Sebring : 26th July 2020 at 19:19.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 20:33   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harneet.S View Post
I'm getting an OBD11 device to start tinkering with the car within this week. Weekend project, ahoy!
Cool. Are you ordering Pro version ? Where are you getting this from ? Now, you will be able to enable some of the useful features supported by hardware. Try enabling speed limit detection function. Not sure if it works only in conjunction with NAV. Per my understanding camera should be enough for this. By the way did you go through the user manual ? Some features can be changed with some sequence of button combinations.
Harneet, please start ownership thread, otherwise things get mixed up here as more owners join in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristis2008 View Post
But the following two bothered me
1. I am not sure what this behavior is all about. Is it the DSG getting confused ?
I had a brief about this with the dealer and they don't understand this behavior. Also I had posted about this issue on T-Roc forums UK, given that the owners have been dealing with these kind of things more there, esp on 1.5 engine. Few updates here :

https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtop...rt=2460#p22540

Last edited by tristis2008 : 26th July 2020 at 20:41. Reason: added more info.
Old 26th July 2020, 22:20   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristis2008 View Post
Cool. Are you ordering Pro version ? Where are you getting this from ? Now, you will be able to enable some of the useful features supported by hardware. Try enabling speed limit detection function. Not sure if it works only in conjunction with NAV. Per my understanding camera should be enough for this. By the way did you go through the user manual ? Some features can be changed with some sequence of button combinations.
Harneet, please start ownership thread, otherwise things get mixed up here as more owners join in!
I am planning to put up the thread this weekend; I'm making notes

Yes ordered the Ultimate version from the Lithuanian website. I've been wanting to get the Honk on locking function working which the VW people won't do. I'm mostly looking to activate Auto high beam & Scandinavian DRL's just to see how they would look (might go back to normal later).
Speed limit will work even without NAV and yes it uses the front lane keeping camera; It shows a small info screen everytime the car will start but I don't like the function itself just because of its limited use. I have used these features on VAG and non-VAG group cars in Europe and North America and even where all limits are properly marked, it messes up. For example, if I go from an A road with a limit of 60 kph to a B road which is unmarked or the sign is not visible to the car or covered with foliage, it will keep showing 60. But the inverse is irritating; if I go from a B road with a limit of 45 to an A road and it doesn't see the sign (or the sign is non existent- more likely) it will keep showing a nagging 45 kph sign on the digital cockpit. It has very limited functionality in India.

Off topic : This engine is extremely frugal when you want it to be. Extracted 19kmpl plus from my within speed limit Sunday drive. I usually just get about 10 kpl when I'm rushing to work.

Last edited by Harneet.S : 26th July 2020 at 22:23. Reason: Something to add
Harneet.S is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks