Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2020, 00:40   #736
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristis2008 View Post
Cool. Are you ordering Pro version ? Where are you getting this from ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harneet.S View Post
Yes ordered the Ultimate version from the Lithuanian website.
From which site did you order from and what about shipping and customs?

I saw an Instagram post by Harmonixx Tuning stating they have OBDelven in-stock locally. https://www.instagram.com/p/CCYPNB0BJEj/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd August 2020 at 14:52. Reason: Minor spacing
Old 27th July 2020, 09:49   #737
BHPian

Quote:
I'm mostly looking to activate Auto high beam & Scandinavian DRL's just to see how they would look (might go back to normal later).
I googled for Scandinavian DRLs but could not get a specific answer. Is it just the front DRLs and tail lights ON all the time? Can you please shed some light on it? Thank you.
Old 27th July 2020, 11:00   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron999 View Post
Another miscellaneous point, there's no TSI badging on the engine cover, when you open the hood.
One more point I forgot to add : The TD car had a rather weak sounding horn. No dual horn VW is(was) known for. The SA did say that they can add one on request before delivery.
Old 27th July 2020, 11:13   #739
BHPian

Quote:
I'm getting an OBD11 device to start tinkering with the car within this week. Weekend project, ahoy!
I did some extensive reading about this device and its pretty cool to have one. Looks like we can enable a host of features. Waiting to hear more about this from you. Keep us posted.
Old 27th July 2020, 11:58   #740
BHPian

Quote:
What you say is correct, and I missed writing that early on, this is DSG coasting. The gearbox disengages and let
s you coast with minimal drop in speeds. All to eek out another kilometer from that litre. This is the manual transmission equivalent of coasting in neutral (which is illegal in many countries). If the gearbox is in DSG coasting, it will show only D instead of the gear you're in, like D5, for example. You can tap the brake to turn it off, though. Flick the gearbox into Sports to get rid of it.
Quote:
- One thing I noticed was that when you leave the accelerator (I observed ~50kph), the car seemed to coast along without any drop in speed. Not sure if the gearbox has been tuned to allow coasting.
This coasting behaviour is seen in the Karoq as well. Something which is not there in my GT TSI. I love this since it improves mileage significantly...where the GT keeps the clutch engaged and downshifts as the speed comes down, in the Karoq, the car keeps cruising with minimal loss of speed. Like Harneet says, tapping the brake or accelerator immediately puts it in gear.
cpabhijit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 12:33   #741
BHPian

Quote:
One more point I forgot to add : The TD car had a rather weak sounding horn. No dual horn VW is(was) known for. The SA did say that they can add one on request before delivery.
I too observed the weak sound of the horn during our TD, but attributed it to the well insulated cabin. Would the extra horn come free of cost?
Old 27th July 2020, 14:20   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
I did some extensive reading about this device and its pretty cool to have one. Looks like we can enable a host of features. Waiting to hear more about this from you. Keep us posted.
After a little more digging about OBD11 pro, here are some of the features I came across that can be enabled on the T-Roc:
  • A small honk when locking and unlocking. One honk for lock and two honks for unlock.
  • Scandanavian DRL's (I'm a little unsure about this functionality)
  • Backround colours for the virtual cockpit as well as the touchscreen display. The standard colour is dark blue and that can't be changed, but after plugging in the OBD11, there are 30 different colour options to choose from and a new setting is added under Lighting
  • A small dotted animation in the virtual cockpit when changing through menus.
  • The style virtual cockpit dials. Note that this can be changed only once, and if you wish to change it back, the OBD11 should be plugged in.
  • Holding the unlock button down to open all the 4 windows as well as the panoramic sunroof and vice-versa.
  • The active high-beam assist can infact be activated since the CBU version already has a camera sensor in the windshield (that's the minimum requirement).
  • Locking/Unlocking the T-Roc with the engine running.
  • Traffic sign assist can be enabled but it might display an error when no sign is detected. Not sure if I would enable this particular feature.
  • The car alarm can be activated.
  • Leaving home:-When the unlock button on the keyfob is pressed, the headlights turn on for 30 seconds.
  • Coming home:-This is basically the follow-me-home function. After parking the car and switching it off, the headlamps switch on for 30 seconds after the driver's side door is opened.
  • Throttle sensitivity can be adjusted though I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Heated seat memory:- If you turn off the car with the heated seats on, the next time you get in and start it, the heated seats will turn on automatically.
  • When the climate control is in auto mode, for some reason it doesn't display the fan speed. This can also be changed to display it.
  • The seatbelt chime can be deactivated

All these features can automatically be adjusted with a touch of a button in the app. However, it does require some in-app purchases if you're looking to make a lot of changes.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd August 2020 at 12:11. Reason: Adding 1 more point
Seahawk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 17:02   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
From which site did you order from and what about shipping and customs?
I saw an Instagram post by Harmonixx Tuning stating they have OBDelven in-stock locally
I ordered from the OBD11 website and they shipped it last month. Shipping was included in the cost but customs I'll come to know about when the post office guy rings the doorbell.
I also came across the Harmonixx website and have ordered another one for my cousin who also wants one.

Quote:
I googled for Scandinavian DRLs but could not get a specific answer. Is it just the front DRLs and tail lights ON all the time? Can you please shed some light on it? Thank you.
The front DRL's and rear tail lamps remain on all the time, yes. I used to love this on an Audi I drove for long distances in, once.

Quote:
Single tone horn is what you get with the car, it's a downer but my family thinks it sounds like that of a milkman or 'Dodhi' for the punjabis here

Quote:
Yup, I've been waiting to get it for a while now. I also have requests from two of my friends who want to deactivate the 80 & 120 kph chimes as well. I smell a few cold brews coming my way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
This coasting behaviour is seen in the Karoq as well. Something which is not there in my GT TSI. I love this since it improves mileage significantly...where the GT keeps the clutch engaged and downshifts as the speed comes down, in the Karoq, the car keeps cruising with minimal loss of speed. Like Harneet says, tapping the brake or accelerator immediately puts it in gear.
It really does improve mileage and I'm getting used to having a high number in the Average kmpl readout these days.

Quote:
After a little more digging about OBD11 pro, here are some of the features I came across that can be enabled on the T-Roc:
All these features can automatically be adjusted with a touch of a button in the app. However, it does require some in-app purchases if you're looking to make a lot of changes.
I'm looking to do long coding, I used to do it for my polo back in 2011 when I had a friend's RossTech cable. All the features can be turned on that you've said, but there are a few with limited functionality. Even though I'm getting the device with credits, I'm going to do all adaptations manually and code as far as possible cause I like to know what I'm changing. If there's a fault or error code, I need to know I can code it back rather then relying on a credit system(and pay again!) to change settings back to what they were. Plus, its a lot more indulgent.

For example, Changing the dials sometimes leads to an erroneous speed readout, the high beam assist kicking in above 60kph, things like that. Actually, out of all of these the one with the most dynamic response is changing the throttle sensitivity, which is dialled down for efficiency. Car should feel like its in sports plus mode lol.
Harneet.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 12:44   #744

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-screenshot-20200728-12.37.05-pm.png

I was double checking whether we are paying a high price or a low price. I went to UK VW website, and configured SE Trim, and with the current variant options available in Indian edition, it comes to around 32785 Pounds, so about 31 Lakh INR. That vehicle is being sold at 14 Lakh INR in India today (considering 45pc GST goes to Govt). So that is about 55 pc discount for an imported CBU vehicle. Isn't that a steal ? (find the screen shot of the config)

The other options like Driver Assistance with ACC etc are also available with addition of 1200 Pounds, so looks like there may be an option to retro fit additional equipment in future.

Link for configuration: https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/t-r...option=MTKV4F2
JOKARR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 00:24   #745
BHPian

Experts, what issue this T Roc owner could be facing?

https://twitter.com/rajan_1905/statu...774781440?s=19
Old 30th July 2020, 00:53   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKARR View Post

I was double checking whether we are paying a high price or a low price. I went to UK VW website, and configured SE Trim, and with the current variant options available in Indian edition, it comes to around 32785 Pounds, so about 31 Lakh INR. That vehicle is being sold at 14 Lakh INR in India today (considering 45pc GST goes to Govt). So that is about 55 pc discount for an imported CBU vehicle. Isn't that a steal ? (find the screen shot of the config)
UK pricing is absurd. For an Item that is USD100 in US the equivalent UK pricing is usually GBP100. As an example just look at any camera or other electronic item that is available in both US and UK and you will see what I am trying to say. Somehow they don't take into account the currency exchange price in UK.

If something is USD 100 then it becomes GBP 100 in UK.

The T-ROC is Australia is priced at just AUD 33k. See this link. And the spec comes more fully loaded then what we get in India.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news...specifications

So I don't think VW is discounting the Indian TROC at all. Infact it is under spec'd when compared to the Australian version and costs nearly the same.

Last edited by Traveler : 30th July 2020 at 00:55.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 02:34   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

But in EU( which UK is part of till recently) prices displayed include VAT. In case of cars it's 19%(do not know exact %) included in the pricing.
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 09:20   #748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

The T-ROC is Australia is priced at just AUD 33k. See this link. And the spec comes more fully loaded then what we get in India.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news...specifications
That is a good point on UK pricing. Saw the Australian one, but it misses on leather seating, sun roof etc, that is priced extra. Else comparable to the Indian version, without the Adaptive Cruise Control that is 1200 USD optional fit. So in comparison to Australia pricing, it is still 20 to 25 pc discount, looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
But in EU( which UK is part of till recently) prices displayed include VAT. In case of cars it's 19%(do not know exact %) included in the pricing.
Good point, I missed it, so if we deduct that 6000 bpd, still it is a good 30pc discount compared to UK ex-showroom pricing.

Overall, I highly doubt if VW Headquarters office will be making any margin in this deal at all !

VW needs a mass market model and T-Roc won't be the one in India, and it will be Taigun. This T-Roc is most likely a test bed / exercise for their newer launches like Taigun which seems to have a lot of commonality to T-Roc in terms of functionality.
Old 30th July 2020, 14:14   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristis2008 View Post
Experts, what issue this T Roc owner could be facing?

https://twitter.com/rajan_1905/statu...774781440?s=19
Could be that rats have chewed off some pipes. I had a similar issue in an earlier car of mine. One fine day I started the car and there was smoke everywhere...Rats had chewed off and cut some pipes to the aircon.
cpabhijit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 14:50   #750
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen T-Roc Review by Evo India

AutoX review

Last edited by Venkatesh : 1st August 2020 at 15:08.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed