Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2020, 11:44   #751

Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
Could be that rats have chewed off some pipes. I had a similar issue in an earlier car of mine. One fine day I started the car and there was smoke everywhere...Rats had chewed off and cut some pipes to the aircon.

No new updates yet, from that Twitter account. Not sure what happened.

In terms of Rat as root cause, how did you prevent from this re occurring?
Old 4th August 2020, 11:53   #752
BHPian

Hello fellow BHPians, I want to share my little experience with the Troc. Details are as follows:

So I was looking to buy a car between 20-30L bracket Give and take 5L. Here are the cars I checked out:
1)Troc
2)Creta/seltos 1.4 Turbo DCT
3)Harrier Auto
4)Civic Petrol AT
5)Karoq
6)Superb Sportline
7)Endevour Titanium+ 4x2
8)Compass 2.0 4x4 AT
9)Tucson GLS 4x4
10)Tiguan Allspace

My priorities were as follows:
1)Enough space for a family of 4
2)Quality interiors with premium feeling interiors (material quality, ambience, etc)
3)Fun to drive car with good driving dynamics, refinement & NVH levels (0-100 preferably under 10 seconds)
4)Enough Ground clearance to tackle bad Indian roads (especially Delhi roads in Monsoon)
5)Automatic gearbox (preferably dual clutch, as I’m used to seamless shifts in my Ameo 1.5 TDI DSG)

I test drove all the above mentioned cars and Here I’m going to share my Experience with the Troc

1)Boy it’s a looker. I booked a test drive at home itself & when the car (in white) came in my gated society, many were attracted towards the car and instantly came to have a look at it (also no one new what it was or when it was launched). I also booked test drive for the new Creta (which also came at the same time as Troc), and Creta’s white colour was looking very dull compared to the Troc (see pics below).
2)It’s not very tall in size, but it’s longer and wider than creta/seltos (looks low and wide from front, giving it a very sporty stance). You can call it a crossover at best.
3)When I sat inside, experience was completely opposite to what I felt from outside. The cabin felt very small & compact (almost as big as my Ameo, just a bit wider). I immediately noticed part sharing done by VW with my Ameo (even in Tiguan), like the steering was exactly the same, gear lever was same, light switches, indicator & wiper handles, window up down switches & even the key was identical. Also the plastics on top of the dash & door panels were very hard (same quality as my 2018 Ameo, which was ₹12L car compared to this ₹24L machine).

Surprising ommissions/features I didn’t like:
1) No cruise control (even my Ameo has it), electric driver’s seat & navigation in the Troc (so you mirror navigation on virtual cockpit display as it doesn’t work with google maps when connecting via Android Auto/Apple CarPlay).

2) Pathetic sound system for a car at this price (6 VW speakers without a subwoofer, almost same quality as my Ameo). All the other cars at this price were offering such good quality speaker set (at least 8 speakers). Eg: 8 speaker Bose system in Creta/seltos and 9 speaker JBL system in harrier.

3)Sunroof was barely panoramic & I wasn’t impressed (especially when looking it side by side with Creta’s massive panoramic roof). It didn’t extend till the back seats at all (which a panoramic sunroof should), to make room for headspace (as it’s not a very tall car).

4)Very less rear seat space (I’m 5”10, & I barely had space left when my father was driving the car). It’s definitely not a 3 seater at the back and it feels claustrophobic due to no “true panoramic sunroof”, all black interiors & very less space).

Things I loved about Troc:
1) 1.5 TSI + DSG combo (it’s a blast to drive):in my test, 0-100 came in 8.5 second seconds (fastest after superb sportline which was under 8 seconds). It was Even faster than my friends Punto Abarth (which is a dedicated hot hatch) & the heavier Tiguan Allspace (although it has 2.0 TSI)! Disclaimer: I didn’t use Vbox for all my testing, so take my numbers with a grain of salt. I’m telling you my actual drive experience with all the cars.
Also I want to mention here that although Troc does have the same DQ200 as my Ameo, it felt a bit smoother & faster in the Troc.

2)Chasis, brakes & steering : ride is very planted & keeps the car stable even at higher speeds. You feel some bumps at lower speed (as suspension is typically European, so a bit stiff for our bad city roads). But Steering feel is superb & breaks are excellent (improvement over my Ameo). This combo inspired a lot of confidence to drive it at good speeds & the car drives very well.

3) Build quality: It feels like a tank from inside. As soon as you open the doors, you can feel the heft in them & the car is solidly build (even the hard plastics feel they are build to last, typical VW quality).

4)Exterior looks, Paint quality & exclusivity factor on road: it attracted a lot of attention when I was test driving as there is nothing like that on the road & it comes in flashy colours which look just fabulous. It was easily my favourite looking car (along with the civic) among the all cars I test drove. I prefer it’s looks even over GLA & Q3 (Both of which are there in my society & we compared them side by side with Troc when it came for test drive, sadly forgot to take picture of the same).

Here are some of the pics of my test drive with the Troc:

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-cc2e3b9b5fd74157bdb84a7f6134a449.jpeg

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-3ea7c022de3946a7af399b788bb0310c.jpeg

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-aaa8716f09e34fb5b8e9d2df548a5183.jpeg

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-a0558ac7dd2741189f79a6948759e518.jpeg

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-4bece01f8c384bd5b89c02c8feb3c41f.jpeg

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-d263fbb7bce14ba197e26a586dcd58c3.jpeg

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-985d6ef257234489a860686a71ad53e7.jpeg

My Final thoughts:
1) It’s a good car for the price & it’ll definitely appeal to you if you are in your 20s & 30s. It’s a bit tight on space for the segment but it’s more than enough for a bachelor OR one who has just started a family OR who isn’t looking to use it as primary car if the family is big (more than 4 people). If size & space is the main concern, then please look into: XUV 500/Innova/Hexa or the upcoming Gravitas (Troc isn’t for you).

2) If you drive yourself & want the best performing car (simply put, if you’re a petrol head like me), Troc is a no brainier (given that you can let go some extra features which especially the Koreans offer at this price point). It’s driving dynamics, ride, handling, steering feel, braking & engine + gearbox performance = top notch (even the engine sound way sweeter than Korean’s 1.4 Turbo Petrol which I also tested).

3) If you want good resale, cheap service cost & peace of mind experience, just buy creta (Hyundai’s service network, reliability, parts availability, resale value is all top notch in this segment). VAG car aren’t particularly known to offer good service experience & peace of mind! (Although I have had no problems personally with VW till date).

I really liked the Troc but Finally ended up buying the Karoq after test driving all the other cars.
For detailed explanation/reasons for the same, you can have a look at my blogpost here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-review-7.html (Skoda Karoq : Ownership Review)

Last edited by Parth Oomphy : 4th August 2020 at 12:09.
Parth Oomphy is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 13:13   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKARR View Post
No new updates yet, from that Twitter account. Not sure what happened.

In terms of Rat as root cause, how did you prevent from this re occurring?
So for me, they installed a rat mesh after fixing the pipes and the very next day there was a horrible smell coming from the bonnet. It was the rat which had gotten stuck in the mesh and died. I had to take the car back to the service center to get the rat removed and the mesh cleaned!
cpabhijit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 20:50   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth Oomphy View Post
Surprising ommissions/features I didn’t like:
1) No cruise control (even my Ameo has it), electric driver’s seat & navigation in the Troc (so you mirror navigation on virtual cockpit display as it doesn’t work with google maps when connecting via Android Auto/Apple CarPlay).
Are you referring only about virtual cockpit and that there was no issue on composition media system / infotainment system ?

As for the maps, I did quick check on T-Roc forums and I see owners have been able to use android auto with Google Maps and Waze on media system, of course some are facing issues.

https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=590
https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=488

Harneet, do you face the same issue ?

Last edited by aah78 : 4th August 2020 at 22:34. Reason: Typos fixed.
Old 4th August 2020, 22:15   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristis2008 View Post
Are you referring only about virtual cockpit and that there was no issue on composition media system / infotainment system ?

As for the maps, I did quick check on T-Roc forums and I see owners have been able to use android auto with google maps and waze on media system, of course some are facing issues.

https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=590
https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=488
I meant to say that you can not see maps in your T-Roc’s virtual cockpit because it doesn’t have built in navigation in Indian models (like Tiguan, Karoq, Audis, etc). So it doesn’t show option of “navigation“ in the virtual cockpit screen as well.
Google maps work via Android Auto/Apple CarPlay but the map is shown on the infotainment screen (not on virtual cockpit).

See the Karoq’s picture below:
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-b1676b527ff9423bb202bf1d8292e46c.jpeg

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-0c9c9ca993a84fa8b54e4f17bcbc7c4f.jpeg

Google maps only come in the infotainment screen (which you can also do in T-Roc). But the navigation functionality in the virtual cockpit is sadly missing in the T-Roc (has it doesn’t have built in sat nav).
I hope this clears your doubt!

Last edited by aah78 : 4th August 2020 at 22:33. Reason: T-Roc
Parth Oomphy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 07:23   #756
BHPian

Quote:
I meant to say that you can not see maps in your T-Roc’s virtual cockpit because it doesn’t have built in navigation in Indian models (like Tiguan, Karoq, Audis, etc). So it doesn’t show option of “navigation“ in the virtual cockpit screen as well.
Google maps work via Android Auto/Apple CarPlay but the map is shown on the infotainment screen (not on virtual cockpit).
Thanks. Its clear. Not exactly the issue we are talking about, but the earlier composition media / cockpit software did not work well together to show maps on active info display, and it was one of the crib points ( see earlier reviews of Autogefühl ). It was subsequently upgraded, is what I understand. Of course SAT NAV system did not make it to our shores.

see at about 38m.

I felt little disgusted with VW, having understood your comments differently in the beginning that even google maps cannot be used. Thanks for clarifying.

Am wondering, when will be the official reviews on T-BHP be out for this car, if they are under works !

Last edited by tristis2008 : 5th August 2020 at 07:36. Reason: statement corrected!!
tristis2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 12:00   #757
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Karan for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

ACCESSORIES PRICE LIST FOR TROC AND TIGUAN ALLSPACE:

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-acc01-copy.png

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-acc02-copy.png

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-acc03-copy.png

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-acc04-copy.png
blackwasp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 11:35   #758
BHPian

Hey guys, should the reliability concerns be more than Polo GT TSI or similar for TRoc since both uses the same DQ200 DSG gearbox?

As we know, it was limited to 175 NM in Polo. However, TRoc is using it in maximum tune of 250 NM.

Should we rely on VW's generosity to replace it even after the warranty period ends or there has been some improvement done here?
Old 6th August 2020, 12:56   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Hey guys, should the reliability concerns be more than Polo GT TSI or similar for TRoc since both uses the same DQ200 DSG gearbox?

As we know, it was limited to 175 NM in Polo. However, TRoc is using it in maximum tune of 250 NM.

Should we rely on VW's generosity to replace it even after the warranty period ends or there has been some improvement done here?
Hello Abhi, so about the reliability of DQ200: I’m using AMEO 1.5 TDI DSG since past 3 years (it has 250 nm of torque which is right at the maximum limit which DQ200 can handle, just like the Troc). I have had no such problems till date with my car and the gearbox is super slick and fast.
Also in my testing, it’s been further improved in the Troc & Karoq (it has become smoother at city speeds & faster too).
Those horror stories of DQ200 are past now, VW also know the issues (being a Dry clutch & a tropical country like India), it has made various improvements to the same. Also VW gives 10 years warranty for the gearbox, so you can have a piece of mind while using it.

PS: Although wet clutches are perceived to be more reliable, they are actually expensive to maintain (compared to dry clutch) as they require fluid top ups with every service (something you should know). Also they particularly don’t offer any smoother or faster experience than the dry clutch gearboxes (so performance is same in both).
I hope this clears your doubt.
And By the way, TROC does have auto hold function for city traffics, so no worries of burning your “dry” clutch in DQ200 or overheating in city traffic (when you come to a halt, auto hold with automatically shift to P, disengaging the clutches, so you don’t have to keep shifting to “N” mode in traffic to save your gearbox).

Last edited by Parth Oomphy : 6th August 2020 at 13:02.
Old 6th August 2020, 13:37   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Also in my testing, it’s been further improved in the Troc & Karoq (it has become smoother at city speeds & faster too).
Those horror stories of DQ200 are past now, VW also know the issues (being a Dry clutch & a tropical country like India), it has made various improvements to the same. Also VW gives 10 years warranty for the gearbox, so you can have a piece of mind while using it.
1. Note sure if the DQ200 in TRoc CBU has been adapted to Indian driving conditions. May be its done for Polo, Vento and other cars made here in India. I did not not get a smooth ride at slow speeds during my TD. And I could replicate this behavior in my subsequent drives easily. And I have shown this to their SA, who has taken it up with their senior technical team, supposedly.

Also, Harneet had similar experience. May be there are ways to circumvent this behavior by changing over to manual mode. Of course my drives of cars with DSG gearboxes have been very limited .

I have shared a video record of DSG behavior which is shared in the post below. Please take a look.

Quote:
But the following two bothered me
1. I am not sure what this behavior is all about. Is it the DSG getting confused ? I was driving slowly through rough and pot holed road and my foot was off accelerator. The gearbox was in D2. Then it decided to go to D1 and then the RPM increased a lot ! And again it decided to goto D2. I managed to record it after being able to reproduce the behavior . Is it normal with DSG boxes ? It did cause some discomfort in the passengers. I don't have driving experience with them and I don't see this type of behavior with my Vento's TC, a lethargic fellow.
2. I did not see 10year warranty anywhere mentioned. Did you get it for your Ameo? Was it also given in writing for Karoq ? I checked with the VW dealer also. They are not aware of any additional warranty for DSG. I know that in markets elsewhere where VW had bad run with governments, they eventually came up with 10year warranty. There may be some goodwill fixes though.

The thread below is very useful:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...t-gearbox.html (DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox)

Last edited by tristis2008 : 6th August 2020 at 13:39. Reason: added ref.
Old 6th August 2020, 14:21   #761
BHPian

Quote:
1. Note sure if the DQ200 in TRoc CBU has been adapted to Indian driving conditions. May be its done for Polo, Vento and other cars made here in India. I did not not get a smooth ride at slow speeds during my TD. And I could replicate this behavior in my subsequent drives easily. And I have shown this to their SA, who has taken it up with their senior technical team, supposedly.

Also, Harneet had similar experience. May be there are ways to circumvent this behavior by changing over to manual mode. Of course my drives of cars with DSG gearboxes have been very limited .

I have shared a video record of DSG behavior which is shared in the post below. Please take a look.

2. I did not see 10year warranty anywhere mentioned. Did you get it for your Ameo? Was it also given in writing for Karoq ? I checked with the VW dealer also. They are not aware of any additional warranty for DSG. I know that in markets elsewhere where VW had bad run with governments, they eventually came up with 10year warranty. There may be some goodwill fixes though.

The thread below is very useful:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...t-gearbox.html (DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox)
Hi there, So in my experience, DSG in Troc was smoother than in my Ameo for sure. I frequently drive Ameo in the city and I can tell that it’s sometimes a bit jerky at lower speeds. But Troc was smooth at lower speeds and not at all jerky (I didn’t use manual mode). No weird behaviour noticed.
Also, I bought the Karoq and it has been 2 weeks now & DSG is working as smooth as butter (no jerks there as well). Maybe your test car had some issue IDK, but no reviews on YouTube also never mentioned such issue.
It’s a luck factor I believe, some cars may show such behaviour, God knows

About the warranty, I know about 10 year warranty because my friends Polo GT TSI had some DSG issue and the bill amount was in Lakhs. VW gave him free of cost replacement (saying that it is covered under 10 year warranty or 1 Lakh km). Although I too haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere on their website as well
Old 7th August 2020, 11:50   #762
BHPian

Quote:
I did not not get a smooth ride at slow speeds during my TD. And I could replicate this behavior in my subsequent drives easily. And I have shown this to their SA, who has taken it up with their senior technical team, supposedly.
Referring to your earlier video, I too experienced this on the Karoq a couple of times where at low speeds, it shifted to D1 and the RPM shot up. This is not a behaviour common to DSG. My GT TSI has never exhibited this behavior ever. Usually the DSG sticks to D2 unless you almost come to a halt.

So on the Karoq, I turned off the engine start-stop function and drove on bumpy roads at very low speeds and I could not replicate this behaviour. The DSG just stayed in D2 and pulled smoothly with throttle input.

Will try this for a few more kms and see if this is indeed the reason.
cpabhijit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 16:14   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Referring to your earlier video, I too experienced this on the Karoq a couple of times where at low speeds, it shifted to D1 and the RPM shot up. This is not a behaviour common to DSG. My GT TSI has never exhibited this behavior ever. Usually the DSG sticks to D2 unless you almost come to a halt. So on the Karoq, I turned off the engine start-stop function and drove on bumpy roads at very low speeds and I could not replicate this behaviour. The DSG just stayed in D2 and pulled smoothly with throttle input.
Will try this for a few more kms and see if this is indeed the reason.
This is a very common thing on the Polo DSG. I have experienced this in multiple Polo GTs at low speeds. Interestingly however much I tried , I could not reproduce this on the T-Roc. Also I think people have wrongly reported this as the kangarooing effect on our T-rocs and Karoqs which is a totally separate thing. I have no idea why some cars are exhibiting the gearbox behaviour (I don't think it is an issue as it hasn't caused any problem on our polo which has been doing this for many years) and not others.
Amsdoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 23:07   #764
BHPian

Quote:
So on the Karoq, I turned off the engine start-stop function and drove on bumpy roads at very low speeds and I could not replicate this behaviour. The DSG just stayed in D2 and pulled smoothly with throttle input. Will try this for a few more kms and see if this is indeed the reason.
In fact, so did I. I ensured that the start/stop function was turned off; just not be influenced by it. Indeed one has to go through bumpy roads; try Thanisandra main road from Bharat gas Petrol Station towards Rashtrotthana School, especially near the Railway bridge. I took my foot off the accelerator in these sections and the car was at speeds less than 10kmph. Also I must say that this behavior is not always seen. But in this stretch, its been consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdoc View Post
This is a very common thing on the Polo DSG. I have experienced this in multiple Polo GTs at low speeds. Interestingly however much I tried , I could not reproduce this on the T-Roc.
Yes, I could replicate this behavior on a Polo GT TSI (1.2L ). I drove two T-Rocs and on both I could see this issue. In fact I demonstrated this to the technician at PPS Nagawara. He lectured me on DSG functioning and said that's how it is; although Tiguan Allspace did not show this behavior at all. He was dead against driving in M1/2 in these sections.

Given its also in Polo, I reckon it has only got to do with DQ200; perhaps its too quick in decisions. Otherwise the drive on this car is really enjoyable.

Quote:
The rear doors on both the sides have some panel gap issue due to which, mud/dirt gets inside the door while driving even when all the doors are completely closed.
Off topic : I also checked the cladding on the rear doors of TRoc, having noted the issue in Karoq. the cladding seems fine and I feel the mud is unlikely to enter the cabin. I forgot to take pictures though !
Old 8th August 2020, 00:36   #765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
About the warranty, I know about 10 year warranty because my friends Polo GT TSI had some DSG issue
It's likely he received goodwill warranty which is not the same thing.

If VW has a ten year warranty on the DSG on any model, they would be shouting about it from the rooftops!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks