Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2020, 16:29   #166
BHPian

re: Volkswagen T-Roc spotted in India EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 19.99 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMvW.Rajat View Post
So, this has got me in a real fix. I've been planning on upgrading my Polo to an Octavia TSI L&K DSG but since the T roc has been announced, I've gotten really confused. I've been in touch with a couple of Bangalore VW dealers, they've said that it'll be priced between 25-26. Where it gets confusing is when I compare the two cars. The Octavia seems like better VFM mainly because of two reasons, 1) I'll be getting a bigger motor. And 2) based on all reviews that I've seen online, the quality of materials on the inside is really bad, like hard and scratchy plastics. Could you guys help me out here? Thanks
I have some thoughts about T Roc based on the expected features, specs sheets and YouTube reviews.

Though Octavia's engine makes 27 horses more than the T Roc, on-road performance of both these engines are more or less same (T Roc's 1.5 is infact 0.1 sec faster than Octavia:s 1.8 in the 0-100 acceleration).

Octavia scores over the T Roc with better space and independent rear suspension. But T Roc fights back with better equipment(assuming it will be priced around 25-26L OTR ) compared to the similarly priced Octavia.

T Roc may not be using softer plastics like the Octavia, but I think it would still look premium with that soft Vienna leather, Pano Sunroof, Door ambient lighting and Virtual Cockpit.
carenthusiast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 21:57   #167
BHPian

Again, wondering if there is more than one variant on offer!

Screen shot from volkswagen india twitter.

https://twitter.com/volkswagenindia/...098284546?s=19
Attached Thumbnails
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-1584376003002.jpg  

Old 17th March 2020, 00:02   #168
BHPian

Quote:
So, this has got me in a real fix. I've been planning on upgrading my Polo to an Octavia TSI L&K DSG but since the T roc has been announced, I've gotten really confused. I've been in touch with a couple of Bangalore VW dealers, they've said that it'll be priced between 25-26. Where it gets confusing is when I compare the two cars. The Octavia seems like better VFM mainly because of two reasons, 1) I'll be getting a bigger motor. And 2) based on all reviews that I've seen online, the quality of materials on the inside is really bad, like hard and scratchy plastics. Could you guys help me out here? Thanks
Personally I am not too bothered by the international reviews on the quality of plastics, nor would I suggest that you should be as they largely compare it to the interior quality of the Golf (a fairly expensive premium hatch) and the interior quality of other VW cars. All reviews mention that it is an excellent car bar the dashboard plastics. The main issue they note is the quality vis-a-vis the top variant price of GBP 28K+.

While I'm no psychic, I assume that there is truth in all the Indian dealers quoting an ex-showroom price of ~20L. At that price point, there's not really any competition in India which offers the track record of safety and build quality that VW offers. To get the same driving experience, build and interior quality you would have to go for the Jeep Compass whose top spec is significantly more expensive than the expected price for the T-Roc.

I find it a no brainer if you're in the market for a well built compact SUV and want to stay away from the frankly sub-standard Koreans and the ageing American. The Skoda Karoq could be something that you might fancy if you want a more butch T-Roc.

Do let me know your thoughts! 🙂
AamodB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 01:30   #169

I have booked a Seltos HTX IVT but still waiting for other options. My max budget is around 21 lakh. Despite the fear of unknown regarding after sales support and availability of spares, I am keen on T-Roc ONLY IF it's priced right. VW guys insisted on booking the car, mentioning that booking amount is refundable, but I did my small bit to discourage VW from greedy pricing by refusing to book the car without having seen it in real life and a test drive.
With maximum 2500 units ( maybe less if that quota includes other models from VW-Skoda) VW ain't gonna make any fortunes anyway. Better price it right and that way compensate the buyers for being "real" brand ambassadors.
Old 17th March 2020, 10:47   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamodB View Post
Personally I am not too bothered by the international reviews on the quality of plastics, nor would I suggest that you should be as they largely compare it to the interior quality of the Golf (a fairly expensive premium hatch) and the interior quality of other VW cars. All reviews mention that it is an excellent car bar the dashboard plastics. The main issue they note is the quality vis-a-vis the top variant price of GBP 28K+.

Do let me know your thoughts! 🙂
I agree, quality of plastics is first about the appearance and only then the haptics. If the appearance is not indicative of being hard or cheap or scratchy, seldom does one touch the surface to see if it is or it is not so.

On the other hand, if it looks visually cheap, then people tend to touch it and knock on it to see if it is so. Case in point is the pre-face-lift Ecosport (which I have) has dashboard plastics that are very hard and scratch and also look hard and scratchy. People were then going gaga over the face lifted Ecosport's interiors, because it appeared much high in quality. In reality, the improvement is visual more than it is an actual transformation in quality of plastics etc. Yes, the plastics are a bit better quality but not all that different, but they do look higher quality due to the dark color, fewer grains and surface coatings.

So, I would not worry too much about plastic quality on the T-Roc. I am sure it looks fine, from what I can see on videos. The professional reviewers may have done the scratch test and knock test, but you or your co-passengers are hardly going to be doing these tests every day.
Old 17th March 2020, 16:09   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Rajat,
Grab the 1.8TSI Octavia L&K if you still can, you won't regret it ! The interiors are really plush and the car does have a significant road presence. The 1.8 litre engine with 180 horses and DSG combo are a joy to drive. The L&K model is loaded to the hilt and everything feels really premium inside the cabin. Couple of things that make the drive particularly enjoyable for me are the virtual cockpit and the Canton sound system. I picked up mine in Jan. this year after evaluating all options including currently available cars and future launches planned for this year. Hope this helps ! All the best ! Cheers
Timothy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 17:14   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Hi Rajat,
Grab the 1.8TSI Octavia L&K if you still can, you won't regret it ! The interiors are really plush and the car does have a significant road presence. The 1.8 litre engine with 180 horses and DSG combo are a joy to drive. The L&K model is loaded to the hilt and everything feels really premium inside the cabin. Couple of things that make the drive particularly enjoyable for me are the virtual cockpit and the Canton sound system. I picked up mine in Jan. this year after evaluating all options including currently available cars and future launches planned for this year. Hope this helps ! All the best ! Cheers
Thanks a lot man. That was really helpful. I was going to finalize on that, this launch really confused me. If you can, do share some details regarding the ex-showroom price that you paid. Thanks again.

Last edited by manson : 17th March 2020 at 18:16.
Old 17th March 2020, 17:49   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot man. That was really helpful. I was going to finalize on that, this launch really confused me. If you can, do share some details regarding the ex-showroom price that you paid. Thanks again.
Hi Rajat, I paid the full amount for the car in December 2019 (delivered in January 2020 though) and there were really great year end deals going around. The discount I received on ex-showroom price was 2L. Delhi, where I stay, is generally more competitive than the Bangalore market though.
I have owned a Honda Civic and a Honda City for several years and this car is a significant upgrade over these. If you are able to lay your hands on one, I would say just go for it! Lemme know if you need any other info from my end. Cheers!

Last edited by manson : 17th March 2020 at 18:16.
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 21:35   #174
BHPian

T-Roc Online Launch at 11:30am tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-troc-launch.png  

AamodB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 23:41   #175
BHPian

Quite a few of us have already booked the T Roc ( and also Karoq). The car definitely has received good reviews. But then there have been serious issues with engine juddering as well, notoriously called as "Kangaroo effect".While taking a TD we should definitely remind ourselves to check for any hint of this issue. Otherwise its going to be a pain for ever. Unlike in UK, one can not return a car here. Any sign of this issue would be a "No Go" for me!

I had raised this topic in this post:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4756813
tristis2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 11:15   #176
BHPian

Just noticed the VW website is updated with the Introductory price - 19.99 lacs. Not bad I would say?
dhruv45in is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 11:29   #177
BHPian

Should costs 25 Lakhs OTR Bengaluru as per SA. Nice pricing though.

T Roc also comes with rear independent suspension as per the website.
Attached Thumbnails
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-screenshot_20200318113327.jpg  

Last edited by carenthusiast : 18th March 2020 at 11:48.
carenthusiast is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 11:39   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruv45in View Post
Just noticed the VW website is updated with the Introductory price - 19.99 lacs. Not bad I would say?
Good pricing, 19.99 for a fully loaded CBU is a steal. Hope VW will bring lower trims via CKD soon & price them at around 15 L to compete against Creta & Seltos.
Old 18th March 2020, 11:58   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Volkswagen T-Roc Launched In India; Priced At ₹ 19.99 Lakh.

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-13.png

- The new offering comes to India as a Completely Built Unit (CBU) and is sold in a single, fully-loaded variant

- 1.5-litre TSI EVO petrol engine tuned to produce 147 bhp and 240 Nm of peak torque

- Paired with the 7-speed DSG automatic transmission.

Quote:
LED daytime running lights, projector lens headlamps, a panoramic sunroof, dual-tone alloy wheels, leather upholstery, auto climate control, touchscreen infotainment system, Virtual Cockpit and much more.
Quote:
safety systems in place including six airbags, ABS, ESC, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) and more. Volkswagen India plans to offer the T-Roc in six colour options - Curcuma Yellow, Pure White, Ravenna Blue, Energetic Orange, and Indium Grey. Five of the colours will get the dual-tone treatment with a blacked-out roof, while the Deep Black Pearl shade will be a single body-coloured option.

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-.png
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-b.png
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-c.png
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-d.png
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-e.png
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-f.png

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th March 2020 at 12:10.
Old 18th March 2020, 11:59   #180
BHPian

19.99 is pretty good pricing IMO. With the T-Roc as much loaded as the Creta GT line, the pricing is acceptable. There may be small difference in features, but the T-Roc is worth the extra money IMO.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed