Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2020, 09:36   #376
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Actually if you look at the old VW Jetta and the Octavia TDI, both had almost identical dimensions and the same 2.0 L Diesel, but the main difference between the two was that the Jetta had a multilink independent rear suspension and the Skoda a torison beam.

I believe the Karoq will come with a torison beam and the T-Roc with an independent multilink. There has to be some perceivable mechanical differentiation between the two and will also allow for Karoq's costs to be kept down, but it is primarily the enthusiasts who will relish the independent suspension.
Yup I'm aware of the Jetta and there was a valid reason for doing that. The Jetta sold in India was the A6 model. This was based on the older PQ35 platform. The PQ35 platform was rear multilink through out.

The Octavia when launched was the first car to move to MQB platform. The decision to put the torsion beam for 150PS and below was taken when the MQB was announced. This was why the diesel and 1.4L Octavia had torsion beam but the 1.8L TSI had multilink.

VW/Skoda were widely criticized for this cost cutting measure globally and not just India.

From what I remember in 2019 which is 7 years after it moved to torsion beam, VW decided for the Golf alone, they will go back to multi link. The T-Roc being inferior to the Golf did not get this update.

The T-ROC has always been below the Golf in features and quality internationally with harder plastics, lesser features and less fun to drive than Golf as well.

This T-ROC forum also mentions that only 4motion cars get multilink:

https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=664

So does this review by EVO india:
https://www.evoindia.com/cars/volksw...t-drive-review
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 13:10   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The T-Roc being inferior to the Golf did not get this update.

The T-ROC has always been below the Golf in features and quality internationally with harder plastics, lesser features and less fun to drive than Golf as well.

This T-ROC forum also mentions that only 4motion cars get multilink:

https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=664

So does this review by EVO india:
https://www.evoindia.com/cars/volksw...t-drive-review
Actually the EVO India review is on the T-Roc 1.0 L Tsi generating 114 BHP which normally would come with a Torsion beam set up.

The Golf & T-Roc are pretty much the same with the former being more fun to drive, since it is a car as opposed to an SUV. I, for one would always a choose a car over an SUV any day if it wasn't for our bad highways and at times poor quality city roads with huge speed humps /bumps & water logging.

But it would indeed be interesting if the T-Roc comes with a torsion beam rear set up while being promoted as having multilink independent suspension. First the incorrect length and now THIS !! If this actually comes out to be true then they should be taken to the cleaners on social media !
Old 22nd May 2020, 13:28   #378
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The T Roc is more for the enthusiasts and Karoq for the family man , hence the additional 3 airbags, powered drivers seat and a bit more space in the latter.
A bit more space for the family man is ok, but additional airbags and powered driver's seat not for enthusiasts?

From what I have seen Skoda iterations have a bit more sporty edge compared to the corresponding VW models. VW looks more family oriented and sedate compared to a Skoda or a Seat.
Old 22nd May 2020, 13:55   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Yup I'm aware of the Jetta and there was a valid reason for doing that. The Jetta sold in India was the A6 model. This was based on the older PQ35 platform. The PQ35 platform was rear multilink through out.
Hey @Vid6639 - If I remember correctly the mk6 Jetta's sold in the US came with a Torsion beam rear axles, they were also built on the PQ35 platform and assembled in Mexico, the same place I believe the CBU parts for Indian Jetta's came from...
Old 22nd May 2020, 14:17   #380
Senior - BHPian

The multilink does come with 4motion for sure. However even with Golf cars having 150 bhp or more and FWD the rear suspension is indeed multilink. So I guess we will need to see for ourselves what rear suspension actually comes with Troc.

Having said that, the difference in ride quality of both these types will be minuscule in my opinion. The added advantage of torsion beam being less maintenance and less wearing out of parts. I am okay either way. It is really hard to fault either of the suspensions since the difference is quite minimal except if you really driving a super car where these things matter.

Last edited by manson : 22nd May 2020 at 18:06. Reason: Typo.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:38   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also there had been some confusion with regards to the rear suspension. It is now clearly mentioned as independent multilink :-)
Quote:
I will still call this as a mistake and won't believe it.

It is very safe to say T-ROC will be torsion beam non independent rear suspension.
Quote:
I honestly refuse to believe they could have made a glaring error like listing a fixed torison beam suspension as multilink suspension.
Quote:
This is same in Karoq as well. Skoda followed this in the Octavia as well. Anything with 150PS and lower gets torsion beam and above gets multi link.

This is my deduction and I would love to be proven wrong.
Quote:
You guys know these companies better with your vast experience in this field, but honestly I still can't fathom that a company like VW can make a mistake like this.
Quote:

I believe the Karoq will come with a torison beam and the T-Roc with an independent multilink.
Quote:
This was why the diesel and 1.4L Octavia had torsion beam but the 1.8L TSI had multilink.
Quote:
Actually the EVO India review is on the T-Roc 1.0 L Tsi generating 114 BHP which normally would come with a Torsion beam set up.

But it would indeed be interesting if the T-Roc comes with a torsion beam rear set up while being promoted as having multilink independent suspension. First the incorrect length and now THIS !! If this actually comes out to be true then they should be taken to the cleaners on social media !
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Hey @Vid6639 - If I remember correctly the mk6 Jetta's sold in the US came with a Torsion beam rear axles, they were also built on the PQ35 platform and assembled in Mexico, the same place I believe the CBU parts for Indian Jetta's came from...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
So I guess we will need to see for ourselves what rear suspension actually comes with Troc.

Having said that, the difference in ride quality of both these types will be minuscule in my opinion. The added advantage of torsion beam being less maintenance and less wearing out of parts. It is really hard to fault either of the suspensions since the difference is quite minimal except if you really driving a super car where these things matter.
Hope someone gets under that poor T-Roc and checks once and for all .

Frankly as Traveller has pointed out it makes little difference 90% of the time. Only if you're lucky enough to be regularly doing 80+ km/hr on curvy and slightly wavy roads can you really make out. I speak from my experience in driving 110K km on my Cruze (torsion beam), and then 57K km on my Octavia 1.8 (multi-link).

The multi-link is great for mid-corner potholes or raised undulations which can make the torsion beam 'skitter', thereby forcing the rear end out of line. The former just takes it in its stride. On really bad roads (where you're going at walking pace to avoid damage), the wheel articulation is a lot better with the multi-link rear axle. The torsion beam 'disturbs' the rear end far more. But such roads are usually avoided unless absolutely essential.

The torsion beam is preferred for straighter and/or better maintained roads where it stays flatter especially under load and at speed. The multi-link always feels more 'twitchy' in identical circumstances. At unmentionable speeds on an excellent highway (say between Madurai & Kanyakumari), i liked the comfort and hunkered down feel of my Cruze compared to the more 'nervous' Octavia.

Each to their own but for a small crossover like the T-Roc it's really not going to make a difference.
itwasntme is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 08:35   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Mods, One suggestion is to let one person/account from each major manufacturer have access to this form to answer specific technical questions. I am sure VW are following this thread but may not see a way to clarify this particular question? Their posts should be moderated and pre-approved (like a newbie’s) to make sure they are only answering technical questions and not marketing or selling their products. Am sure there are pros and cons, but just thought of sharing this suggestion.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 23rd May 2020 at 08:37.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:41   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Mods, One suggestion is to let one person/account from each major manufacturer have access to this form to answer specific technical questions. I am sure VW are following this thread but may not see a way to clarify this particular question? Their posts should be moderated and pre-approved (like a newbie's) to make sure they are only answering technical questions and not marketing or selling their products. Am sure there are pros and cons, but just thought of sharing this suggestion.
That a very good suggestion. It will be great if we can have manufacturers have a separate section on TBHP where they can post pertinent information about their cars. Of course it will have to be moderated. Lot of times we are struggling to find details of cars we love but keep bumping in the dark.
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:35   #384
BHPian

I did contact my sales advisor about the demo cars and any other updates on the cars arriving in the showroom.

He denied having any updates yet.
In NOIDA.
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:43   #385
Senior - BHPian

Which trim level are we getting the in the T-Roc brought in as CBUs? Whether SEL, or Design trim though it is not quite the R Design
Old 23rd May 2020, 13:08   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Mods, One suggestion is to let one person/account from each major manufacturer have access to this form to answer specific technical questions..
Team-BHP is on twitter. Why don't we use that platform to engage with the manufacturers? We can have an admin team to handle the Twitter "handle"
Old 23rd May 2020, 14:09   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Which trim level are we getting the in the T-Roc brought in as CBUs? Whether SEL, or Design trim though it is not quite the R Design
It's sort of in between Design and SEL but closer to the SEL trim with standard features (LED lights and DRLs, Active Info Display) and a couple of options (leather seats, pano roof). However there's also a few feature deletions such as ambient lighting and customisable dash inserts. Plus the alloys offered are the ones from the Design trim.

If you spec the India specification on the VW UK website it comes to about GBP 32-33k.
AamodB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 14:52   #388
BHPian

I hope in near future VW launches the T-ROC R which is a 2 litre, 300 BHP, 400 NM monster ! Watch from 1:38.

shaheenazk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 20:56   #389
BHPian

VW T-Roc looks very appealing with classy lines. I really wish they launched it with the 2 Litre engine.

Here is how the T-ROC compares against the competition in power to weight ratio under 40 Lakhs.

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-power2weight.jpg

Last edited by Godzilla : 23rd May 2020 at 20:58.
Godzilla is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 17:02   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

Here is how the T-ROC compares against the competition in power to weight ratio under 40 Lakh
The Venue 1.0 turbo can be included in the list which would make for interesting comparisons. As per Team-BHP official review, power to weight ratio for the 1.0 manual is a very healthy 108 BHP/ton
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks