Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2019, 00:01   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Used Cars: How old is "too old"?

In the NCR, a car starts ageing about two to three years before it's life period is over and before it is likely to be deregistered, courtesy the NGT ruling. Many owners are getting NoC's and selling these cars out of the NCR for a better and hassle free life afterwards.

In other parts of India, "old" should mean discontinued car models (models only not car brand) by any manufacturer, that are not in vogue and for which spares may be tough to get in a few years time.

Also doddering car makers' car models' need to be labelled as "old." By doddering I would mean those companies, that are not in a financially good health. Such manufacturers, it needs to be feared would close shop (operations) in our country anytime. Daewoo, Opel, Chevrolet, Fiat and Ford are good examples of manufacturers of such a kind.

And lastly, some cars age faster than the others. Thats because either their build quality is not as good as should be or because of abuse at the users hand. Many a time, the owner/ driver abuses his/ her car and within two to three years of use, these look tired and run down. Thereafter, these can be sometimes spotted in the used car markets. Such cars need to be avoided, even if only two to three years old.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 05:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

While many prefer to buy within the factory warranty period, the depreciation curve is still pretty steep when you're in the 2-3 year/30k mark. For most cars, this is where the curve starts to flatten out so if you want bang for your buck, I'd go over this point.

For me, good deals are around the 40k-50k mark for three or four year old cars. Of course, finding a good example also gets harder at this point but there's still more than enough out there.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 10:40   #18
BHPian

Personally I prefer all vehicles new, whether it is 2-wheeler or 4-wheeler.

For the first time, I bought a second hand car - Toyota Corolla, 2006, 68000+KM, in 2017.

Since in Mumbai, you have to be vary of the Rust factor in buying second hand vehicle due to the rains as well as the near to sea coast.
So while buying the Corolla, the factors tilting the decision in buying a 10-year old car were
1. Service record - Got a car with all service records from the ASS.
2. Mechanically sound - Upon going for a health checkup before the buy, got the thumbs up from service center as to the car being accident free and also no major mechanical work required.
3. Covered parking - Got a car which was always parked in shade.
4. Low mileage - 68K for a 11 year daily use car is ok for me.
5. Spares and engine life - No worries on this end as the ASS is still able to maintain this model as well as the Corollas are heard to be working for 1.5L kms without requiring an engine overhaul.
6. Pricing - Got it for a price equivalent to a new Nano.
bajica is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 12:52   #19
BHPian

This question has been plaguing my mind ever since I came across a 10 year old BMW 530d on OLX which I can pick up for the same price as a Nexon.

2nd owner, 84000 kms done, with complete service records. Thoughts, anyone?
Old 15th April 2019, 13:17   #20
BHPian

With the majority here. Around 3 to 4 year mark and below 40K is what I would (and have) restrict my purchase to. Brought a used Brio and a Civic within these limits, and enjoying both to the hilt.

To be honest, in hindsight one can extend these limits and still not complain, as all cars in our garage have aged really really well. Two 3rd gen Honda City vehicles almost 10 year old are a great example, still no niggles or squeaks and a completely fuss free ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Note: I would prefer the primary car to be new, if it is used then only from Honda, Toyota and Hyundai depending on condition but this would be last choice.
Agreed, and it's a sentiment shared globally; so many people across nations and cultures cannot be wrong! (I would still be a bit wary of Hyundai though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
This question has been plaguing my mind ever since I came across a 10 year old BMW 530d on OLX which I can pick up for the same price as a Nexon.

If you would pick the Nexon otherwise and are thinking of not a really large difference in ownership cost, then my friend you need to read a lot of posts on this forum, and the answer is an emphatic: don't even think about it

Last edited by avisidhu : 15th April 2019 at 13:18.
avisidhu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 14:10   #21
BHPian

I have bought my Linea Emotion pack in 2015 when it was around 2 years old with 32K on ODO. It was one of the best decision I have ever made as I get to drive the top model with all the bells and whistles with the cost of less than 60% of the new car. It's around 4 years now since I bought and the ODO stands at 85K and still going strong. No niggles so far except for the fact that I had to wait for few days for some critical and not so common spare parts. Though, I believe it has nothing to do with the new/old car but something to do with how Fiat keeps their inventory stocked.

With this experience, my thumb rule to consider a used car is age 2 to 3 years and ODO less than 30K. Of course, the physical condition and service history is a key point to consider while deciding a purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post

I remember GTO quoting in some thread that a luxury car for sale even at one-tenth of its cost would still be a luxury car when it comes to service. The spare parts would cost you the same as that of a new car. Hence, if you have the moolah and the will to spend this much on a used car then you can take a call.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th April 2019 at 17:16. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
grevvity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 14:18   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

How old is "too old"?

It depends on several parameters like

* the manufacturer,
* the year of manufacture
* the overall reliability of the car, and then
* one's own desire to own a dream car but within a certain budget

A well maintained Fortuner (like @Manujj's on the forum (which he bade goodbye to) was at 2.15 L kms and 10 years but still looking good for another 10 years. Most Fortuners and Innovas are fill it - shut it - run it type cars.

Toyota's older models(ones manufactured between 2005 and 2011) can go on and on and on due to their corrosion proof construction and simple design

With this as a basis, I would list down least risk age and kms for various brands:

1. Maruti, Tata, Hyundai, Honda, Mahindra and Fiat - <3 years and run< 30,000 km
2. Toyota and Japanese Suzuki - <8 years and run ~1,00,000 kms
3. BMW - as long as the service package exists but ideally same as point#1
4. Mercedes, Audi, VW - <3 years and run <30,000km

Individual opinions would differ but these are from my experience.

I've typically got cars at 6-7 years old and held for another 3-4 years.

Last edited by vigsom : 15th April 2019 at 14:23. Reason: formatting
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 14:21   #23
BHPian

Have pre-owned Punto Diesel 2014 model. Using since last 2 years. Been serving well except the safety aspect. In dilemma to xchange for another car with ABS/Airbag. Just contemplating yet. But, car is neat and good. No worries with service till now.
Old 15th April 2019, 18:55   #24
BANNED

I'll deviate a little bit and include motorcycles as well.

1. Impulse - I wanted something to take me through waterlogging and mud rocks and sand. I didn't have much choice. And it's Honda's engine, so I didn't mind buying a 5-year-old product. Hero service center promised to take care of it and I was okay.
2. Navi - this one was still in production at the time of purchase. I'm not sure how much longer it can chug along. The market rejected it so the depreciation was great. And the new product price wasn't too high to begin with. I got 22% depreciation for a 4-month old motorcycle with 150km on the odo.

For something like the Corolla, I wouldn't mind going for a 2003 model today. But I'd prefer the next generation (Altis) even at a slightly higher price. Assuming, they're both in equally good, working condition. However, I wouldn't put my hand on a VW petrol or automatic. VW is not good at petrol game in my opinion. But, I wouldn't mind a 70000km diesel manual.

I also tend to stay away from the new-gen products or something with new tech inside. E.g. I'd not take the Ciaz 1.5. At least I'd stay away from the first year batches. But the Nano automatic again proves that I don't stick to a rule, and my decision varies from car to car and manufacturer to manufacturer.
Old 15th April 2019, 23:00   #25
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

My dad built his first car a 1989 Contessa with an Isuzu diesel swap before these engines started to come standard from HM. He dreaded the ownership so much that for the next 3 decades we never saw a second hand anything in the house.

I recently bought an i10 as a stop gap car for my wife to drive to her work. Bought a 2008 model DL registered i10 being sold for 1.40 Lac since the second owner bought it just before NGT bannned fitment of CNG kits in cars nearing or greater than 10 years old. Used the car for 12K km. Sold it for 1.55 Lac. Total money spent since it was bought new = 25,000 /- (Tyres, Registration, 50K km service and miscellaneous additions from boodmo just to make the car look presentable.

From this experience, I would say that
  1. Usage History (doesn't matter if it has run 80K or 20K) should be regular and at ASC
  2. apparent signs of abuse and poor upkeep (shoddy repairs, missing trim, shoddy seat covers, dirty carpets, bald tyres etc.)
  3. Test Drive (some cars are built to fall apart)
are the three things I would look at before making a decision to buy a Mass Market used car. I wouldn't touch a non-mass market used car with a barge pole, at least not a one which is out of warranty.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 08:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

Maruti(post 2005) and Tata cars wear out very fast mechanically and aesthetically, life expectancy 40K km/4 years. Hyundai and Honda cars survive for 5 years or 60K km. Entry level cars of Tata and Mahindra are least preferred in used car market. Brands like Skoda, VW, Renault and Nissan are at the mercy of the owners.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 08:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
I remember GTO quoting in some thread that a luxury car for sale even at one-tenth of its cost would still be a luxury car when it comes to service. The spare parts would cost you the same as that of a new car. Hence, if you have the moolah and the will to spend this much on a used car then you can take a call.
That holds true if you have a moolah of 9 lakhs and are deciding between a 1 year Vento or a 7 year old BMW. But, if you are deciding between a 1 year old Benz and a well maintained 7 year old Benz it makes total sense to go for the luxury car at one tenth the price since you have already factored in the service costs. If old luxury cars are getting sold at one tenth the price and the service is also cheap we would be seeing them as mainstream passenger cars like the Ciazs and Swifts on the road. Also, personally for me i love older gen cars over the current gen (Read point 2)

Have been in this situation many a times while checking used car classifieds. When checking cars when i put the filters to less than 4 years old i am worried i maybe losing on some really sweet deals that are a couple years more older.

1. I am fine with cars that are as old as 8 years too which i can use for 2 more years and sell it off. It all boils down how well it has been maintained (read all ASS records) and the asking price.

3. Seller/ owner profile matters most. I live in a society with all retired judges and i'd be happy to buy used cars from them. Likewise, buying from someone who drives like my dad. Older people tend to not abuse their cars and use them strictly for business. Abused cars are mainly driven or raced by youth. Strictly, no modded cars. Even funky stickering is a turn down.

2. Somehow, i have always (read nearly 100% times) appreciated the looks of the older generation cars than the newer ones. Like say old BMW 520d over the newer one, old Honda CRV over the newer one, old Safari with the spare on the boot than the new one, old Innova over the Crysta, old C class over this generation (infact i love all old gen Mercs over the new ones), old Q7 over the now one, old Civic versus new one. I hope you get the drift. I think i have a fetish for older cars with classic, timeless designs.

3. My brother drives a Linea that's 6.5 years old and well maintained like most other's bhpian's cars. Not even a single known problem, everything in top shape, ready to go on a long trip at the drop of a hat. I am sure good number of people both on and off tbhp maintain their cars that way. If for personal reasons he decides to sell the car for a suv etc i'd be happy to be the second owner of such cars.

4. I buy cars as daily drivers only. So, no sitting in the garage for few weeks. Shut companies forget however sweet the deal is. Example Chevy. Spares availability is and parts support for discontinued models is important.

5. I see some very vintage Merc and BMWs. The owners maintain them very well with genuine spares etc. That's something you can't buy new and i'd like to own such. Spares availability is important and that too in the ASS.

6. I prefer to send all my cars to the ASS itself. Strictly, no servicing outside and having to procure spares, worry about genuine ity, worry if the alternate replacement will perform like the OEM one, warranty post installation, quality of the work etc. Add to that overall peace of mind and time saved.

Last edited by bharatbits : 16th April 2019 at 08:41.
bharatbits is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 10:55   #28
BHPian

I sold my 5 years old MJD Punto last month and bought Abarth Punto. I always wanted to own an Abarth.
Decision to sold my diesel Punto was purely based on long term service availability issue. Car was in fantastic condition. Buying new Fiat product was out of discussion. Before Abarth I had test rides of Rapid, Vento, Ecosports, Brezza, Nexon, XUV 300, Honda City, Creta & Kicks. None of them could manage to satisfy driver in me. One fine day, wify asked about my desire to own Abarth. I got inspired again to own Fiat, irresptive of risks associated with it. Had two test rides and I was sold.
For me, it's mind game.
Swap_Abarth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 13:47   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post

2. Somehow, i have always (read nearly 100% times) appreciated the looks of the older generation cars than the newer ones.
Me too, I think our minds are designed that way, we are resistive to changes
Old 16th April 2019, 14:48   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
I have bought my Linea Emotion pack in 2015 when it was around 2 years old with 32K on ODO. It was one of the best decision I have ever made as I get to drive the top model with all the bells and whistles with the cost of less than 60% of the new car. It's around 4 years now since I bought and the ODO stands at 85K and still going strong. No niggles so far except for the fact that I had to wait for few days for some critical and not so common ....................f its cost would still be a luxury car when it comes to service. The spare parts would cost you the same as that of a new car. Hence, if you have the moolah and the will to spend this much on a used car then you can take a call.
Same story with a Fiat. Their cars though very good are a depreciation disaster. And this works beautifully when you are an enthusiast looking at the second hand car market.

I picked up my car - 9 months old, 5.7K Kms run at a price that was 50% of the on road price.

It was a dealer owned car - and best part, my warranty started the day I brought it home - I got the full 3 year warranty.

The car in question is the one on my DP.

In this case I just got lucky - but if I went the traditional route - then I would look at the following in the same priority

Model of the Car - Complexity, Rarity, Known Issues, Quirks
Condition of the Car - Service History, Damages, Insurance and Tyres
Owner - Meticulous? Involved? Urgency? City? Usage?
Usage - Heavily used? Occasionally?
sai_ace is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks