Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2020, 20:50   #526
BHPian

Re: Maruti Vitara Brezza 1.5L petrol. Edit: Launched at Rs 7.34 lakh

I did not mean to get into an MS Vs Hyundai build quality debate by any means. However, i just wrote what i felt currently. The Venue though has better feel, i am not too sure about it since the platform is shared with Santro. You are right about the current gen Ertiga and it's a shame regarding Half hearted efforts of Maruti to force the Heartect platform on consumers and charge a bomb for it. I only referred to Brezza and the S cross as i felt that these are good safe cars. Regarding the new gen Creta and Seltos I guess they are safe , regarding the old Creta I can share an instance of my friend suffering a lot of suspension wear and bad mounting issues on his 2015 Creta . The only problem was he had to take it through some rough roads everyday and the boffins at Hyundai blamed him for rough driving. That was the base of my inference on the old gen Creta. Another friends Brezza has taken a lot of abuse for four years and as per him it even doesn't need a wheel alignment for a very long time. So maybe it all depends on your luck or whatever.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st March 2020 at 22:00. Reason: Please use emoticons provided in forum text editor for a consistent reader experience.
Shwet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 08:25   #527
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
Took delivery of a silky silver Brezza ZXI+ AT last night.

AT gearbox is slow but smooth. This car is clearly meant for relaxed driving.
Congratulations ! Well said on the AT. Give me a smooth but old AT gearbox over the jerky "new" AMT any which day. I'd never be able to live with an AMT.

I also like the bottom end of the 1.5L petrol. It's very practical.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:55   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwet View Post
I am amazed that some people are still quoting the build quality of Hyundai. The build quality of both the Santro and the i20 is a big sham. I must admit i thought they both were well built, at least the i20 definitely felt sturdier.

Also, I would like to add, going by the Venue's NCAP rating, I do feel the Indian version isn't as well built and would score maybe a 2 or 3 Star in ratings.
True statements. I think this awareness should spread more among the masses which will force manufacturers from pushing inferior products to India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwet View Post
You are right about the current gen Ertiga and it's a shame regarding Half hearted efforts of Maruti to force the Heartect platform on consumers and charge a bomb for it. I only referred to Brezza and the S cross as i felt that these are good safe cars.
Maruti will make politically correct statements and escape until some form of crash testing is brought in India - very unfortunate. The Heartect Platform seems to be an unsafe one from the crash testing reports of the recent Maruti cars.
Old 2nd March 2020, 11:22   #529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of a silky silver Brezza ZXI+ AT last night. Was looking for a beater car to do daily duties and could be used for city runs.
Congratulations! Wish you & the family unlimited safe happy city miles with it. Nice garage there! Where a compact SUV is a beater & one of the cheapest cars in the spectrum .

The car sure looks fantastic in this colour.
Quote:
10. Maruti needs to do a a better job with the multimedia system. The screen is a decade old resistive panel. The sound from the stock speakers is pathetic.
The speakers is no surprise. MSIL stock speakers have always been poor. But resistive touch unit? I read elsewhere on the forum in the Official review (Maruti S-Presso : Official Review) that the SPRESSO comes with capacitive touch head unit now. If thats the case and Brezza gets resistive unit - Well, slow clap to MSIL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Doubtful that it comes without head-rest. Arent head-rests mandatory now ?
In the videos available on YouTube, it indeed is a flat one like the M800 of 90s. Shocker really.

Last edited by Reinhard : 2nd March 2020 at 11:34.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 12:38   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Congratulations.

Now that's lightening fast by all standards!

That's a healthy mix of AT cars in your garage. Hope to see an ownership report of your Brezza soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congratulations ! Well said on the AT. Give me a smooth but old AT gearbox over the jerky "new" AMT any which day. I'd never be able to live with an AMT.

I also like the bottom end of the 1.5L petrol. It's very practical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Congratulations! Wish you & the family unlimited safe happy city miles with it. Nice garage there! Where a compact SUV is a beater & one of the cheapest cars in the spectrum .

The car sure looks fantastic in this colour.

The speakers is no surprise. MSIL stock speakers have always been poor. But resistive touch unit? I read elsewhere on the forum in the Official review (Maruti S-Presso : Official Review) that the SPRESSO comes with capacitive touch head unit now. If thats the case and Brezza gets resistive unit - Well, slow clap to MSIL.
Thanks guys!

GTO, the nice bottom end of the 1.5 mill is the only reason one is able to live with this ancient 4 speed gearbox. It makes the car build speed gradually in a nice progressive manner.

Reinhard, yes the screen is resistive, even lower range pioneer units have better resistive panels. Also, i don't understand how manufacturers think. Charge us more but at least put better sounding systems. Even the Innovas had pathetic stock system for a car costing 26 lacs on road each. Had to change the entire system in the first week only.

Update after driving for another 200+ kms:

1. The short wheelbase is very evident on bumps or a bad patch of road. Perhaps this is the only sub 4m car i own which is why the feeling is very evident.

2. Steering feel is weird, feels too disconnected.

3. The way the MID has to be operated using the 2 stalks is obsolete. So, the cheaper baleno gets advanced colour MID and more expensive brezza gets this unintuitive MID?

4. I had a chance to use this car during the rain and i have to say i am not a fan of the dual beam LED projectors. I appreciate the ability of this car's headlamps to make people give way when you flash the lights but visibility of the road is much more important to me. Perhaps its the colour spectrum of the LEDs. I find the same problem on low beam LED projectors of the crysta.

5. The MID shows the car is returning 10.7km/l. The car has run 348kms till now with around 310kms of highway running. Would be interesting to see the fuel economy once the car completes the run in period.

6. Exhaust end-can has been painted black in the facelift. Looks less uglier that the earlier one. But couldn't maruti do a better job of hiding it? None of the competing cars have it visible the way it juts out in brezza.
ramneek009 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 13:18   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
If its white LEDs, they have their fair share of shortcomings during our monsoons. I am one of those who used fairly costly genuine Philips Ultinons for a while & went back to halogens and HIDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
LED bulbs (Ultinon / Chinese based) are pathetic.
When you bring in true LED projectors (chip based) like this Brezza has, they will blow away everything else. I’ve been using aftermarket LED Projectors on my Verna and that thing does road lighting brilliantly (even better than OEM offerings) - be it fog, rain, clear night, haze etc etc. Also one flash and people give way instantly. Will never go back to Halogens ever.
Quote:
4. I had a chance to use this car during the rain and i have to say i am not a fan of the dual beam LED projectors. I appreciate the ability of this car's headlamps to make people give way when you flash the lights but visibility of the road is much more important to me. Perhaps its the colour spectrum of the LEDs. I find the same problem on low beam LED projectors of the crysta.
I guess that rhymes with what I had anticipated. LED no matter how well designed or projected, has the inherent issue of temperature and spectrum range during rains in our poor road conditions. Without proper road edge / lane markers or reflectors, the diffused white light just doesn't give too much confidence.

Indeed - the quick acting white high beams do scare the oncoming traffic and make them move away faster. But then that isn't the primary use of the lights. I would really have been surprised if MSIL gave such good quality projector LEDs that worked fine in rain also. Very few car makers here are doing anything genuinely good with headlamps sadly. For truly good light, one still has to go the aftermarket HID or LED projector route.

Last edited by Reinhard : 2nd March 2020 at 13:26.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 16:16   #532
BHPian

MODS: I cannot edit my last post, so please do the needful if required.

Sorry guys, my bad!

The screen for the multimedia system is indeed capacitive. Today was the first time i got to sit in the car during the day and take notice of finer details, i realised the front panel of the multimedia system is glass. Its the laggy interface that made me feel its a resistive panel. There is a good half a second delay between the press and the response which all this time made me feel if it was a resistive panel and i was trying to apply force instead.

1. With the front seat in my driving position (i am 5'10), there is more legroom in the rear compared to my 2018 Verna.

2. The plastics and interior quality is laughable. Every panel flexes and makes some sort of noise. The cowl over the instrument cluster flexes like a rubber squeaky duck.

3. No, auto door unlock or am i missing something?

4. The camera quality is very average, the image on the screen is very grainy.

5. Steering only adjusts for tilt.

6. The storage space in front of the gear lever is difficult to access in the P position.
ramneek009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 17:04   #533
BHPian

Quote:
3. No, auto door unlock or am i missing something?
The Auto door lock and unlock can be programmed as per your liking. Please refer to the owner’s manual.

As an existing Brezza owner can relate to all the points you mentioned.

Last edited by smileline : 2nd March 2020 at 17:06.
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:03   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

The media reviews from all usual houses are now published on YouTube etc. Typical vague reviews. Not ready to say "bad" for what is "bad". Not bringing any useful information other than what appears like an extended advertisement! The restraint shown in not saying that some of the things that were already old, and remain old is remarkable. And not many are talking about the price, which is currently the main polarizing factor. Some feel its high, some feel its justified.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:06   #535
BHPian

True, all the reviews are very vague and not detailed except for a couple of them.

I still did not get a clear picture of how the engine performs in the Brezza.
Old 3rd March 2020, 17:36   #536
BHPian

Experts, Any idea whether the new Brezza holds the same platform as before (the NCAP 4* rated) and built ?, My Nephew in market and he asked for an opinion.
Old 3rd March 2020, 18:10   #537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post
Experts, Any idea whether the new Brezza holds the same platform as before (the NCAP 4* rated) and built ?, My Nephew in market and he asked for an opinion.
The platform as well as the body shell is the same so it should be G-NCAP 4*. The new one is a facelift with a heart transplant, nothing to do with the main structure. Now this could change if the 1.5L engine has been accommodated after any changes to the front member. In that situation, the star rating may change. But there is no way to know this.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 18:18   #538
BHPian

Perfect ! Thanks a lot, i believe i can suggest him to get one, He was more inclined with Brezza with its looks for a while, just that he was waiting for Petrol engine as his usage is very low.
Old 3rd March 2020, 22:32   #539
BHPian

Took a test drive of Brezza petrol MT.

I had a 2nd gen Dzire diesel MT and drove around 80k KMs. I am looking for a worthy replacement to it as a city car.

Here are my observations -

Pros
1. Low end driveability is amazing. The car could pull from 40km/hr in 5th gear (~1k rpm).
2. Clutch is light with a short travel.
3. Visibility is great from the driver's seat. Gave me more confidence to maneuver from tight spaces when compared to dzire.
4. Seems a much better managed space package than dzire with similar dimensions.
5. Loved to red line it with a nice engine sound and power at around 4k RPMs is great.

Cons
1. The mid range (~2k rpm) is poor, with no sense of urgency. Missed the turbo kick here.
2. Steering is vague. My dzire steering had a much better connection with road.
3. Interiors are no doubt plain and simple.
4. There were slight vibrations on engine start up.
5. The engine was audible even when idling.
ank.nsit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 23:32   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Took a test drive of Brezza petrol MT.
Cool thanks for the update. How did you find the NVH in the car while cruising and also when red lining the engine? Do you think this engine can comfortably carry 5 adults and luggage and is good enough for city and highway drives without any strain?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed