Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2019, 11:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Maruti Vitara Brezza to get 1.5L petrol engine option

According to a media report, Maruti Suzuki is likely to offer the Vitara Brezza with a new petrol engine. This is the same 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder unit that powers the Ciaz and Ertiga and is expected to feature Suzuki's Smart Hybrid tech.

Maruti Vitara Brezza 1.5L petrol. Edit: Launched at Rs 7.34 lakh-brezza-1.jpg

The 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder was introduced in the Ciaz last year as a replacement for the 1.4-litre unit. The engine produces 103 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 138 Nm @ 4,400 rpm. In the Brezza, it could be paired with 5-speed manual and 4-speed automatic transmissions.

Maruti was reportedly considering the 1.0-litre BoosterJet petrol engine from the Baleno RS for the Brezza. However, it was found to be more expensive and less fuel efficient. The Brezza 1.5 petrol will not qualify for the excise duty sops extended to sub-4 metre cars with engine capacities under 1,200cc. This means it could cost more than some of its rivals.

Maruti is also likely to swap the old Fiat-sourced 1.3-litre diesel engine for an in-house developed 1.5-litre unit that produces 94 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 225 Nm of torque @ 1,500-2,500 rpm. The new engine could be introduced in the Brezza later this year.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 11:15   #17
Oxy
BHPian

re: Maruti Vitara Brezza 1.5L petrol. Edit: Launched at Rs 7.34 lakh

A welcome move if true, though it might not set the sales charts on fire due to the higher cost compared to it's rivals.
Old 16th April 2019, 11:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

A welcome move IMO.

But what i desire from the new Brezza is an overhaul in the styling, specially the interiors. The competition (read Nexon/XUV300/Ecosport et al) are offering more modern and better quality interiors.

What is also hoped from the new Brezza is the introduction of an Automatic transmission with the petrol engine.

Last edited by GTO : 17th April 2019 at 12:49. Reason: typo
DCEite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 11:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Maruti Ciaz & Ertiga 1.5L Diesel ready for launch. Edit: Ciaz launched at 9.97L

1.5L petrol engine will not have the tax advantage of 1.2L, so the price may come around the current diesel engine. If 1.5L diesel too makes entry in Brezza, then perhaps Maruti can maintain the price gap between petrol and diesel engine.

In my opinion S-cross should have been prioritized for 1.5L petrol, as there is no question of tax saving in S-cross.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 11:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

Carwale.com 's upcoming car section already have an Image of 2019 Brezza with air intake scoop on the hood.

Maruti Vitara Brezza 1.5L petrol. Edit: Launched at Rs 7.34 lakh-marutisuzukinewvitarabrezzaexterior152362.jpg
Image Source: Carwale.com

Some Extracts of Carwale.com Preview.

Quote:
The new 2019 Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza facelift will be launched in India over the next few months. The compact SUV will feature substantial changes to the front and rear fascia. The new Vitara Brezza will come with the redesigned front bumper, new grille, and re-profiled rear bumper. The SUV will feature an air intake scoop on the hood, while the internals of the tail lamps will be revised as well.

The Vitara Brezza facelift could come with an all-new in-house developed 1.5-litre E15A DDiS 225 diesel motor that will be mated to a six-speed manual gearbox. The oil burner will reportedly produce 94 bhp of power and 225 Nm of peak torque. The new motor will be BS-VI ready and will comply with the upcoming emission norms by early 2020.
Carwale.com Preview.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 11:47   #21
BHPian

With the impending launch of Hyundai Venue, MSIL had to put out this news to hold on to Brezza's sales numbers.
Brezza is the only model not to offer a petrol engine among Nexon/XUV300/Ecosport/WRV/Venue.
anthusiast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 11:48   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
A welcome move if true, though it might not set the sales charts on fire due to the higher cost compared to it's rivals.
Brezza is now a cheaper option in the segment - with the Ecosport, XUV3OO and the upcoming Hyundai Venue carving a premium niche among the sub-4m SUV space.

And this positioning is unlikely to change with the new petrol Brezza as well - as the others also have big (1.5 dragon / 1.4 VTVT) or complicated (1.0 Ecoboost, Mahindra 1.2 turbo petrol, 1.0 Hyundai GDi) petrol engines adding to the cost factor.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 12:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Maruti Ciaz & Ertiga 1.5L Diesel ready for launch. Edit: Ciaz launched at 9.97L

Even the EcoSport 1.5 petrol does not get any tax advantage and yes, the 1.5 diesel Brezza pricing will be higher that means price gap will be mantained.

Hoping to see some facelift or cosmetic update on that one. Looks a bit outdated to me now.
Old 16th April 2019, 13:59   #24
BHPian

The fight we see in the CSUV space today is what we saw few years back in the C2 sedan space,
Honda City, Hyundai Verna, Ford Fiesta, Fiat Linea, Skoda rapid and VW vento, Tata Manza, Suzuki SX4, Mahindra Verito (not sure which segment), Nissan Sunny, Renault scala.
Today only handful of these cars get attention and facelifts (not a new platform). All attention has shifted to the CSUV space.
aniyo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 14:28   #25
BHPian

I currently own a 2016 Brezza Zdi.
I bought the car as soon as it was launched. As it was a tried and tested engine.
However, I would have preferred a petrol engine to this diesel.

Its almost dead under the 2000 rpm.

If Maruti launches this in Petrol, with the ciaz petrol engine, I am a buyer again.
car_crazy1400 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 15:01   #26
BHPian

Brezza petrol will actually be a great option for those who are opting for the top end Baleno/Dzire but are apprehensive of the build quality of these two cars. Brezza, which scored 4 stars safety rating no doubt feels better built.

Also among the compact SUV segment, Brezza petrol will definitely come out as a no nonsense fuel efficient petrol motor.

Looking forward to it. I'm sure the petrol motor will sell in great numbers.

Although, I don't think Maruti will be able to keep the price significantly lower than its diesel variants, since the petrol motor is a 1.5L unit, which won't carry excise benefits. But even a 60k to 70k difference would work out to be great considering that the diesel engine indeed feels old now.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 16th April 2019 at 15:03.
Sherlocked is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 12:53   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Having driven the 1.5L petrol extensively, I will say this is good news. The motor has a very good bottom-end and the driveability is simply fantastic. While it is quick, its not as redline-happy as Honda's i-Vtec though.

This will only expand the Vitara Brezza's appeal in a market that has moved big-time to petrols. I know lots of folk who would have preferred a petrol, but still bought the diesel variant as there was no choice.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 13:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Having driven the 1.5L petrol extensively, I will say this is good news. The motor has a very good bottom-end and the driveability is simply fantastic. While it is quick, its not as redline-happy as Honda's i-Vtec though.

This will only expand the Vitara Brezza's appeal in a market that has moved big-time to petrols. I know lots of folk who would have preferred a petrol, but still bought the diesel variant as there was no choice.
I think for most average Joes like us, low end grunt is more important than hitting the redline every time, especially for city drives. I have hardly pushed my City beyond 3500 RPM even while overtaking on single lane highways. Also, a Brezza with this tractable 1.5L engine will surely find a lot of traction as you rightly pointed out.

But I wonder why Maruti didn't consider the 1.4L engine earlier, considering there isn't a world of difference in power and torque numbers between the two engines. It was surely better than the 1.2L iVTEC on the WR-V. Maybe the demand for the diesel variant itself was so high that Maruti never really considered the petrol in the first place.
nikipedia87 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 14:13   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

This is indeed a great news. I guess Maruti is feeling the heat because they're launching a new variant, with an all new engine at the time when BS6 norms would be kicking in in less than 1 year. Moreover, there is news that a facelift is also in works. Either they'll launch it with a BS6 engine or maybe with a facelift directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I know lots of folk who would have preferred a petrol, but still bought the diesel variant as there was no choice.
Count me in. Had this been launched in 2016 with a petrol motor, I would have gladly picked it up.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 14:29   #30
BHPian

This is brilliant news. Just wish it came a few months back and I could have had a Petrol Brezza instead of the diesel one. I had to remap the Brezza to get rid of the turbo lag and get some low-end grunt. It still wont match the 1.5L Petrol motor in in-city driveability.

I have driven the Ciaz and felt it was a great engine for those who dont want to rev the nuts off the engine. Once can easily cruise at triple digit speeds on highways, and have a strong motor for in-city drives.

30-40k cheaper than the diesel, and it'll have buyers by the drove. Good to see Maruti reacting to market and covering bases. I guess they'll leave the premium CSUV segment for the Toyota version of the Brezza.
krish3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed