Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2020, 13:32   #391
BHPian

Re: Maruti Vitara Brezza 1.5L petrol, now unveiled

Checked carwale for Mumbai onroad prices, and it says 11.40L for vxi auto vs 9.8L for nexon xma auto.

Did carwale make a mistake, or has suzuki committed harakiri by pricing the mid tier automatic so high? That too after Tata updated the nexon to look so premium!

Has Maruti Suzuki been infiltrated by a competitor? Tata Motors should increase production of nexon petrol automatic and aggressively sell it against the Brezza.
guptad42 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 13:38   #392
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Vitara Brezza 1.5L petrol. Edit: Launched at Rs 7.34 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar View Post
I don't think so Maruti will provide UV cut glass in all the variants.
If they would have provided UV cut glass, it would have been restricted just to the ZXi+ variant just like driver armrest
Very much possible.

I guess this is the first time apart from M800 brochure when such a small stuff is mentioned so prominently.

Also what does PEDAL RELEASE SYSTEM mean? Its listed under Safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptad42 View Post
Checked carwale for Mumbai onroad prices, and it says 11.40L for vxi auto vs 9.8L for nexon xma auto.
Brezza has indeed become so much more expensive. For Ranchi, OTR Nexon XMA is Rs. 9.05 Lacs while the Brezza VXi AT is Rs. 10.7L.

PS: Had taken screenshot of older Diesel's pricing for my city. Comparing the two:

Maruti Vitara Brezza 1.5L petrol. Edit: Launched at Rs 7.34 lakh-20200224_134158.jpg

Maruti Vitara Brezza 1.5L petrol. Edit: Launched at Rs 7.34 lakh-20200224_134215.jpg

Last edited by Leoshashi : 24th February 2020 at 13:47.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 13:45   #393
BANNED

This pricing has 'given' Maruti an 'opportunity' and 'need' to launch a 1.2L Lxi version at 6.5L, and a Vxi AMT at 7.8L.

On the side steps of this launch, Maruti shares are trading in negative today at around 3.3%. Should be some indicator for the company.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 13:50   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

Also what does PEDAL RELEASE SYSTEM mean? Its listed under Safety.
As per Wikipedia:

PRS stands for Pedal Release System or in German "disengaging pedals". This safety device, originally developed by Opel for the Astra, works in such a way that the clutch, brake and accelerator pedals are folded down in the event of a frontal collision, which can reduce the risk of injury to the driver's feet by these pedals: If If the motor-gearbox combination is pushed backwards by a frontal impact, pedals can be pushed up without this device.

Last edited by jigar : 24th February 2020 at 13:52.
jigar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 13:51   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
About stooping down to "that level" like you mentioned, how low did they go when they gave inferior car for India and safer car for the rest of the world? Just asking
Let me clarify. I wasn't talking about stooping to any level actually. I was talking about the cost vs. benefit. Simply taking into consideration the investment needed in re-engineering the structural design of the chassis.

A structural change to the monocoque that can actually result in a poorer safety level - would need quite a bit of work on the design & re-engineering of manufacturing steps & robotics. I simply meant that given the amount of (lack thereof) changes that MSIL has done - I don't think they'll have invested further in just making the chassis any inferior. In case of other cars - the cars were made different for EU market and different for India from the word go.

As for stooping - I don't think there is any level. Its just business. While we hate MSIL for the double standards, we cannot forget that other players have done worse things also. Like Renault going ahead and claiming that the India bound Captur was the same solid one that did well in tests in the EU - when in fact it was a totally different platform (Clio-Duster). An older generation Hyundai i20 used to run on our roads with a sticker on its rear glass saying "5 Star NCAP rating". I am not really sure if it was the same car sold in India or there were differences in the one that was tested in the EU. At least MSIL has never done anything like that. They are always correct by the book. And they write their books smartly.

Last edited by Reinhard : 24th February 2020 at 14:21.
Reinhard is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 13:56   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar View Post
As per Wikipedia:

PRS stands for Pedal Release System or in German "disengaging pedals". This safety device, originally developed by Opel for the Astra, works in such a way that the clutch, brake and accelerator pedals are folded down in the event of a frontal collision, which can reduce the risk of injury to the driver's feet by these pedals: If If the motor-gearbox combination is pushed backwards by a frontal impact, pedals can be pushed up without this device.
Hope this is not the same system/mechanism which had failed in Suzuki Celerio in UK when braked hard.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...k-tests-393122

Quote:
Suzuki Celerio sales have been suspended in the UK and Republic of Ireland with immediate effect, and all customers advised not to drive their cars, after two test vehicles suffered total brake failure during controlled tests by Autocar and What Car?.
Quote:
"The condition was experienced during an emergency brake test from very high speed and relates to retraction of the brake pedal."
Quote:
During the first full-force braking test, however, all stopping power was immediately lost upon application of the brakes. The brake pedal became stuck in the fully depressed position and had no effect on the Suzuki's speed. No braking effort could be exerted by forcing the pedal up and reapplying it.
Quote:
Autocar understands that focus of the investigations is on right-hand-drive versions of the Celerio and includes those sold in the UK, the Republic of Ireland, Australia and New Zealand. Cars sold in Japan, India and Thailand are not affected, according to the manufacturer.

"The Celerio model has been on sale in India and Thailand since 2014 and so far Suzuki has no prior experience or knowledge of this phenomenon," concluded the official release.

A Maruti spokesperson said “The braking system of the Celerio in India is different to the Thai version and hence the India model is not affected.”

Last edited by Leoshashi : 24th February 2020 at 13:59.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 13:58   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Hope this is not the same system/mechanism which had failed in Suzuki Celerio in UK when braked hard.

I guess this is the same system
Old 24th February 2020, 13:58   #398
BHPian

This is how Brezza 1.5 petrol fares against competition.

Maruti Vitara Brezza 1.5L petrol. Edit: Launched at Rs 7.34 lakh-cuv.jpg
*Plotting is based on price vs feature quotient as much as possible

1. XUV 300 is the only one without an AT option.

2. Ecosport has AT only in Titanium +. I don't understand why they removed the VFM Trend AT option

3. MS charges 1.4 lacs premium for the ancient 4 speed TC while Ford charges just 90K for the 6 speed TC. Even Hyundai charges only 1.14 lacs for S Turbo DCT over the S Turbo (though 1.56 for SX+ DCT over SX, there are additional features like sunroof over SX MT)

4. Venues offers the lowest entry price among CUVs though the 1.2 petrol is just avg compared to the rest.

5. Brezza 1.5 & Venue 1.2 NA are the only 4 cylinder options.

6. Hyundai, TATA & Mahindra offer turbo petrol options while Hyundai has NA option too.

It'll be tough for Maruti Suzuki to maintain the volumes since Brezza falls short on features too apart from not having a diesel option.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 24th February 2020 at 14:08.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 14:00   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

That is old news. The system had been rectified and sales resumed since.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th February 2020 at 14:01.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 14:01   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptad42 View Post
Did carwale make a mistake, or has suzuki committed harakiri by pricing the mid tier automatic so high? That too after Tata updated the nexon to look so premium!
Let's not forget that the Brezza gets a proper 4 cylinder smooth engine. Nexon's 1.2 RT can only dream of matching its NVH levels. 4 cylinder engines are considerably costlier to build. Even without a turbo. Then - there is a torque converter transmission, thats again costlier than an AMT.
And the SHVS that the Brezza gets. While I feel the system is useless - it still has a significant cost of the MGU and LiIon battery pack. Nexon doesn't have it either.

So I think Maruti is betting on this not being a clear apple-vs-apple comparison & is convinced that they can make sufficient number of customers believe that the price difference is justified and worthy. While I would never be looking for a large petrol car as long as diesel is available - if I were shopping - I'd probably pick the Brezza over the Nexon even with the price premium. The sheer smoothness of the sweet Suzuki petrol motor would be enough for me to spend that much more.
Quote:
PS: Had taken screenshot of older Diesel's pricing for my city. Comparing the two
Is it just Carwale yet to update their page details or the Brezza AT will actually be badged as "AGS" by Maruti? I believe AGS is used for AMT cars as "Auto Gear Shift". I hope the car comes with an "Automatic" badge like the AStar/previous gen Dzire etc. and not the "AGS" blue sticker on the boot!

Last edited by Reinhard : 24th February 2020 at 14:10.
Reinhard is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 14:01   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
The BS4 Brezza had a 4 start NCAP rating, correct ? Now that Maruti has announced that they are not going to send their cars for NCAP tests, is it possible that there is a change in structural reinforcement ? Might sound like a troll, but I am genuinely asking because we all know how the Swift had different ratings for India and rest of the world. Since the engine has changed in the Brezza now, it would be difficult to see if the structure has become lighter or not. Any opinions ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I don't think they'd go to that level.
At the same time - I won't be too surprised if some parts of the body go lighter on the face-lift. Door sheet metal panels etc. Because now its going to a petrol engine & lighter car means savings on money as well as better mileage on a petrol engine. These panels if shed a few grams of weight, don't immediately turn the car unsafe though.
Quote:
Let me clarify. I wasn't talking about stooping to any level actually. I was talking about the cost vs. benefit. Simply taking into consideration the investment needed in re-engineering the structural design of the chassis.

A structural change to the monocoque that can actually result in a poorer safety level - would need quite a bit of work on the design & re-engineering of manufacturing steps & robotics. I simply meant that given the amount of (lack thereof) changes that MSIL has done - I don't think they'll have invested further in just making the chassis any inferior. In case of other cars - the cars were made different for EU market and different for India from the word go.
Atleast this is one part which I can confirm. There has been no change in the Bodyshell of the Brezza ever, either w.r.t. sheet metal thickness or chassis alterations.

Regards,
Shashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
That is old news. The system had been rectified and sales resumed since.

Link
Indeed that's an old news, but you never can be too sure of what's being dished out in our country.

Quote:

Is it just Carwale yet to update their page details or the Brezza AT will actually be badged as "AGS" by Maruti? I believe AGS is used for AMT cars as "Auto Gear Shift". I hope the car comes with an "Automatic" badge like the AStar/Dzire etc. and not the "AGS" blue sticker on the boot!
That's Carwale's fault, Brezza isn't being called AGS by MSIL. Also the AT cars don't have any extra badge except the SMART HYBRID one.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th February 2020 at 14:13. Reason: Merging posts
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 14:05   #402
BHPian

I have cancelled my booking and have asked for a refund. None of the automatic variants have been priced sensibly.

I'll try hunting for a used Brezza AMT.
Dieselritzer is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 14:16   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Brochure of the updated Vitara Brezza:
Thanks for the brochure.

Quote:

Also the features list feels as if it has been compiled by some intern.
Maruti Vitara Brezza 1.5L petrol. Edit: Launched at Rs 7.34 lakh-img_20200224_141314.jpg
Is this something special to mention or a new feature in itself?

Maruti Vitara Brezza 1.5L petrol. Edit: Launched at Rs 7.34 lakh-img_20200224_141329.jpg

What are these features? Different types of seatbelts? Central one has always been a lap belt, have they changed it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
New Brezza Petrol launched at 7.34L.

ZXi+ (Dual-tone) Rs 9.98 lakh
That's pricey. I paid Rs. 9.96 lakhs ex-showroom for my ZDi+ Dual Tone in 2016!

Last edited by BoneCollector : 24th February 2020 at 14:23.
BoneCollector is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 14:24   #404
BHPian

They have completely missed out on adding below features to the updated car:
- Round steering wheel that rotates.
- Indicator stalk with "tick tick" sound.
- Iron rod with premium black finish to hold up the bonnet.
Dieselritzer is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 14:28   #405
BHPian

I can be almost certain that the SHVS is very useful to add performance. The SHVS usually does not light up when accelerating at night due to higher electrical load from lights. I always feel that the engine is sluggish at night. Since I have repeated this test countless times, I am sure that the acceleration is significant to be felt by us.
So the SHVS system in Brezza must be useful to get a peppy ride considering that a dedicated Lithium battery is now used along with a higher voltage system(?)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks