Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2020, 09:05   #511
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Vitara Brezza 1.5L petrol. Edit: Launched at Rs 7.34 lakh

Drive Reviews:

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th February 2020 at 09:06.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 09:12   #512
Senior - BHPian

As expected, the manual seems to be the pick being 1.5L cheaper and letting you have better control of the gears. The 4 speed AT although smooth seems to be fit majorly for city usage.

If this was from any manufacturer other than the big 2, even 4 digit sales per month would have been a distant dream. But being a Maruti it might still end up doing numbers similar/better than the Tata/Mahindra. Hyundai must be delighted

Source: ZigWheels

Last edited by SoumenD : 29th February 2020 at 09:24.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 11:50   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileline View Post
Totally agree, Lack of rear headrests, is a glaring omission in LXI.
Brezza LXI never had rear headrests so technically its not a mission. The way to see it is that now the new LXI has more features as compared to pre facelift LXI.
Old 29th February 2020, 12:23   #514
BHPian

Took delivery of a silky silver Brezza ZXI+ AT last night. Was looking for a beater car to do daily duties and could be used for city runs.

My father calls me at 11:30 am and asks if he should order a brezza AT. I agreed and he placed an order with Autocars, Kirti Nagar. Later in the evening i call my driver to ask him to collect something from our factory to which he replied that he was at Autocars to take delivery of the car. Yes, the car was delivered to us within 6 hours of confirming the order. These are the same people who delivered my Verna 1.6D SX(o) AT within 3 days of launch. Hats off to their customer service. Perhaps being friends with the owner helps.

Our garage consists of 2 Innova crysta ATs, Verna AT, Elantra AT and a Vento 1.6 Tdi, so all the initial impression are based on comparison with our current rides.

1. Petrol motor is very refined. Sitting inside, you cannot tell if the car is running.

2. The door mirrors fold when you lock the car and they open automatically only when you start the car.

3. If you leave a cabin light on inside the car and try to lock, the car sounds a beep and refuses to lock. Very unlike Hyundai where all the lights go off if you try to lock the car.

4. LED dual beam projectors and LED fogs lamps are nice. They come with manual height adjustment for the beam. After driving it for good 50kms last night, i feel my verna with 4300k HIDs in the projector setup lights the road better.

5. AT gearbox is slow but smooth. This car is clearly meant for relaxed driving.

6. The overall build quality of the car seems a step or two below the VWs and Hyundais.

7. Request sensor is present on the passenger side of the door as well. Very unlike Hyundai

8. Suspension soaks the bumps decently and brakes do a good job.

9. LED tail lamps and dual tone alloys look great. The DRLs in the headlamps function as indicator.

10. Maruti needs to do a a better job with the multimedia system. The screen is a decade old resistive panel. The sound from the stock speakers is pathetic.

Will update once i spend 500+ kms with the car.

Maruti Vitara Brezza 1.5L petrol. Edit: Launched at Rs 7.34 lakh-e443e56fad494cbe9d5fabfa4d7aa63d.jpg

Maruti Vitara Brezza 1.5L petrol. Edit: Launched at Rs 7.34 lakh-eca8161b10ba44e28460e8142c8b9879.jpg

Last edited by ramneek009 : 29th February 2020 at 12:30. Reason: Additions of points.
ramneek009 is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 13:38   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
Brezza LXI never had rear headrests so technically its not a mission. The way to see it is that now the new LXI has more features as compared to pre facelift LXI.
Agreed it wasn’t there in LDi, but considering it as a basic safety feature, Maruti had the opportunity to give the adjustable headrest along with other features as a standard, which they clearly missed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_restraint

Last edited by smileline : 29th February 2020 at 13:43.
smileline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 13:49   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
Took delivery of a silky silver Brezza ZXI+ AT last night.
Congratulations.

Quote:
Yes, the car was delivered to us within 6 hours of confirming the order.
Now that's lightening fast by all standards!

Quote:
Our garage consists of 2 Innova crysta ATs, Verna AT, Elantra AT and a Vento 1.6 Tdi, so all the initial impression are based on comparison with our current rides.
That's a healthy mix of AT cars in your garage. Hope to see an ownership report of your Brezza soon.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 20:06   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Drive Reviews:
From the reviews the Brezza seems to be building on the strengths of the previous model in terms of practicality and dependability.

The manual GB seems to be excellent and well paired with the 1.5 petrol which seems to come into it's own after 3000 rpm. This would be a dampner for those used to the driveability of turbos but I don't think it will make much of a different to the buyer Maruti is targeting.

And given that the Brezza is going to come in 2021 with a new platform shared with Toyota I think Maruti has done just enough to keep the fundamental strengths of the Brezza intact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
Took delivery of a silky silver Brezza ZXI+ AT last night. Was looking for a beater car to do daily duties and could be used for city runs.
Congrats! That was double quick! Wishing you happy miles.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 21:06   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
The way to see it is that now the new LXI has more features as compared to pre facelift LXI.
Seems like you have missed the point.

I appreciate their feature addition in even lowest trim but if I am not wrong this is their safest car in our market, they could have or rather say must have added at least the integrated ones. I have no idea how much bucks they are making while skipping on headrests. It does not feel nice when largest car manufacturer in the country though providing mandatory "advanced" safety features, neglecting the basic ones.

Even cheaper Wagon R and Celerio LXIs have them , although integrated ones.

P.S- We had 2nd gen Wagon R Lxi for few years, it had proper adjustable headrests at the back.
JJay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 21:41   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
And given that the Brezza is going to come in 2021 with a new platform shared with Toyota I think Maruti has done just enough to keep the fundamental strengths of the Brezza intact.
Maruti is going to change the platform within a year after this facelift ? No way. Probably with next generation after 3-4 years
Old 1st March 2020, 00:54   #520
BHPian

The LXI seems to make most sense but I wanted to ask Maruti if they are going back in late 80's & 90's, no rear headrests.

Shame in you maruti, I just hope you have hid the slots for headrests underneath the fabric. The most possible explanation for this is that they are complying with the government regulation's and it is not necessary to provide safety for necks at rear.
revvharder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 09:31   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
The LXI seems to make most sense but I wanted to ask Maruti if they are going back in late 80's & 90's, no rear headrests.

Shame in you maruti, I just hope you have hid the slots for headrests underneath the fabric. The most possible explanation for this is that they are complying with the government regulation's and it is not necessary to provide safety for necks at rear.

Screenshot from Gaadiwaadi's LXI walk through shows absolutely no head rest present in the rear seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Vitara Brezza 1.5L petrol. Edit: Launched at Rs 7.34 lakh-lxi.png  

anthusiast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 10:27   #522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthusiast View Post
Screenshot from Gaadiwaadi's LXI walk through shows absolutely no head rest present in the rear seat.
Doubtful that it comes without head-rest. Arent head-rests mandatory now ?
Old 1st March 2020, 13:33   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJay View Post
Seems like you have missed the point.
You are quoting me out of context . Nowhere I have disputed the safety aspects of the headrests or supported Maruti not including them in the base version. I have simply mentioned that they have never been there in Brezza's base version so technically its not a 'omission' as claimed in one of the post. However, now the base version is a little 'better equipped' than its pre face lift avatar. People have bought the LDI in numbers inspite of no rear headrests and the prospective base variant buyers now have more 'features' now as compared to its pre face lift avatar.
T.S. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 15:58   #524
BHPian

I am amazed that some people are still quoting the build quality of Hyundai. The build quality of both the Santro and the i20 is a big sham. I must admit i thought they both were well built, at least the i20 definitely felt sturdier.

The crash tests have revealed them to have unstable structures with Santro even being lower than a Wagon R. To be honest it's quite pathetic. Never go by the tactile feel of the vehicle to judge it's build quality. The chassis forms an integral part in structural stability. The Brezza is an authentic 4 star rated vehicle. The C platform it's based on underpins the original Vitara as well. The original Vitara is known internationally as a rugged vehicle. The S cross is based on the same C platform and i have a feeling it might fare slightly better than Brezza in a crash test but we don't really know and can only speculate.

Regarding Hyundai's compact SUV venue, we know it's underpinned by the Santro's platform so can't vouch for its safety. Yes , it scored 4 stars in Australian NCAP but then we know how Hyundai is known to make different cars for different geographies. Plus the Australian venue was equipped with 6 airbags. One can't be sure whether the Creta itself would have a stable structure? The India Spec version has not been tested yet.

Last edited by Shwet : 1st March 2020 at 16:07.
Shwet is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 17:16   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwet View Post
I am amazed that some people are still quoting the build quality of Hyundai. One can't be sure whether the Creta itself would have a stable structure? The India Spec version has not been tested yet.
I would still say Hyundai has a better built quality than Maruti Suzuki, any given day. The first generation i20 was 5 Star Rated by Euro NCAP. Even if the Indian version wasn't as well built, I am sure it was quite a safe vehicle thanks to the 6 Airbags it offered a decade back. The Indian made second generation i20 with Dual Airbags was tested by Global NCAP scoring 3 Stars whereas the Euro Spec got 5. Hence, it would be safe to assume that India is also getting the former and moreover even with inferior built quality, the first generation i20 in India too would be a 3 star.

In retrospect, the Indian current generation Swift has got 2 Star in Global NCAP test, whereas the Baleno has got 4 Star with Extra Safety Pack in Euro NCAP. Hence, again I would assume here that the Indian version wouldn't get beyond 2 Star.

Regarding Santro gaining two star, the WagonR too has received the same but then again, I don't expect much from this segment in terms of built as both the manufacturers has to build the car at a lower cost keeping wafer thin margins. The other Hyundai and MS vehicles like Eon, Celerio, i10, Second Generation Swift all has scored 0 because all the vehicles tested weren't equipped with Airbags and as we know, NCAP fails the vehicle without Airbags irrespective of the built quality.

Now, Coming to Creta, the current generation which is similarly specced to the latin one was tested and has scored 4 Star. Also, as per a few reports I have read, the Indian Creta is indeed exported to Argentina. The upcoming Creta & Seltos are based on the K2 Platform which currently underpins the Elantra. Hence, I am quite sure both the cars are extremely safe for Indian conditions as they wouldn't be selling sub standard product in the market because both the manufacturer itself is charging a premium on the vehicle and their global versions have received rave reviews (IIHS Ratings for K2 Platform, ANCAP rating for Seltos) moreover, consumers haven't complained regarding the safety of S Cross as people are aware it's a well built car. Even the Vitara for that matter is quite safe, it's the overall perception which kicks in, for e.g MS commands almost 12 Lakhs for an Ertiga and that gets a 3 Star rating in terms of safety. Furthermore, it's the metal quality which consumers are worried about, especially the way an MS vehicle crumbles in a mishap.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, Hyundai being slightly better in Build than MS as per various data and consumers supporting that isn't wrong in any way. Peace out.

Also, I would like to add, going by the Venue's NCAP rating, I do feel the Indian version isn't as well built and would score maybe a 2 or 3 Star in ratings.

Last edited by YashD : 1st March 2020 at 17:22. Reason: Added Venue.
YashD is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed