Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2019, 17:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata to launch EVs in the sub-Rs. 15 lakh segment

According to a media report, Tata Motors is planning to launch more electric vehicles (EVs) in the sub-Rs. 15 lakh segment. These could include the Altroz EV and an H2X-based electric SUV.

Tata to launch EVs in the sub-Rs. 15 lakh segment-h2x3.jpg

At present, Tata Motors produces the Tigor EV for the government. It is expected to be made available for the fleet market outside the EESL. The Tiago EV is likely to rival the upcoming WagonR EV, while the Altroz EV would be positioned higher.

Tata had showcased the H2X concept - a compact SUV at the 2019 Geneva Motor Show. It is expected to spawn a new model that is likely to be positioned below the Nexon. Reports suggest that an H2X-based electric SUV could take on Mahindra's all-electric KUV100.

Tata Motors is also reportedly working on a higher range of 200-230 km per charge model. The company is also developing new connected vehicle solutions for its upcoming electric cars.

Source: Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 17:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata to launch EVs in the sub-Rs. 15 lakh segment

Tata can use Tesla's top down approach to introduce electric, SUVs being at the most desirable end in India, they can opt for the compact-SUV first, later by other hatchbacks. Good thing is that, unlike other segments, they have some respected name plates like Safari, Sumo to help them out.

Being a Tata owner, first thing they need to address is their sales and service, sales being the worse of the two! Somehow the dealers seem to operate like an Independent body, where Tata has almost no control.

Having good products is one thing, they need to deliver the products first, haven't seen even a single Tigor JTP in flesh so far, says so much about the implementation.
Old 17th April 2019, 19:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

It is one thing to launch an (any) EV while it is a whole new ball game to launch one which is not a compromise. I believe the Tigor EV (supplied to EESL) puts out a meagre 40 bhp

While we do not expect P100D levels of performance, it is quite reasonable to expect that the EV would not be less powerful than the IC engines car on which it is based on. With Indian customers not really ready to pay a premium for an EV, I hope Tata Motors does not launch lame electric versions of modern cars like the Harrier and the Altroz
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 07:49   #4
BHPian

There's no reason for private vehicles to be electric at this point in time. Electrification should be aimed at city fleet vehicles initially for their many benefits and economic structure. The economies of scale as a result of this will enable private EV ownership down the line.

For now, just take a basic cab and give it 250 km city range and see magic happen. It beats me why nobody is doing this already.
sreeharipv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 08:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeharipv View Post
There's no reason for private vehicles to be electric at this point in time. Electrification should be aimed at city fleet vehicles initially for their many benefits and economic structure. The economies of scale as a result of this will enable private EV ownership down the line.

For now, just take a basic cab and give it 250 km city range and see magic happen. It beats me why nobody is doing this already.
Very well put together. This is how government should move ahead with EVs, and i think they are going in the same direction. Look at FAME-II incentives, they are squarely aimed at commercial / fleet vehicles and not for private owners. I think the government is working in a very haphazard manner, they need to structure it a bit to see the magic happen. And yes, lack of good products is one big deterrent.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks