Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2019, 19:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Asahi's RTO-approved dark green UV cut glass

BEAT the sun film ban: Fully LEGAL tinted glass now available!

AIS (Asahi India Glass) has brought a solution for this issue in the form of Dark Green UV Cut Glass. These glasses block the harmful UV rays from the sun and are RTO approved, therefore completely legal.

This is quite a good news and more so for people with skin ailments who found it tough to travel under direct sunlight. The Dark Green UV Cut Glasses perfectly complies with the Indian regulation for light transmission of 50 per cent for sidelights. Further, it is a lifetime solution of this issue as compared to the regular sun-control films, which although have already been banned for use in India.

https://www.cartoq.com/car-sun-film-...la9dBcGGiZhaCU
mukeshgoel is online now   (33) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 20:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Asahi's RTO-approved dark green UV cut glass

Finally some respite for motorists. But i suspect the costs will be prohibitive if someone wants to go the whole hog and change the front and rear windshields along with the door windows.

But why the green shade? Wouldn't brown be a universal color when it comes to matching with the car's paintjob?
Anyways, kudos to AIS, now to wait for the price.
hiren.mistry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 20:43   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Asahi's RTO-approved dark green UV cut glass

Guys, the Cartoq article is giving the wrong impression.

This glass is ONLY available to OEMs at the moment. Meaning, you can expect to see more new cars rolling out with the dark green UV cut glass, but you can't retrofit them in your existing car.

From the press release:
Quote:
AIS has a one of its kind product especially crafted for Indian market named Dark Green UV Cut Glass which is RTO Approved.

About Dark Green UV Cut Glass:

In our quest to offer better solutions, AIS has worked extensively with experts in Japan to develop a unique offering called Dark Green UV Cut Glass for the Indian market (especially for Automotive) which apart from reducing the thermal load inside the cabin, also eliminates the UV radiation by more than 80 percent.

This product is revolutionary as it perfectly complies with the Indian regulation for light transmission of 50 percent for sidelights and also provides a lifetime solution as opposed to sun-control films which have already been banned for use in India.
Asahi's RTO-approved dark green UV cut glass-marutisuzukibaleno2016.jpg

We had already seen this in the Baleno. From our review:

Last edited by GTO : 17th April 2019 at 20:47.
GTO is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 20:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Off topic, but I wonder why Maruti limited such good features only to Baleno, a car infamous for its thin panels. Apart from the thin metal, it is adorned with unique features like CVT (all others get AMT or 4 speed automatic), UV cut glass etc.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 21:09   #5
BHPian

Re: Asahi's RTO-approved dark green UV cut glass

Sorry for the off topic but apparently while every other BHPian is strolling on the Venue thread, GTO seems to be eradicating fake-news. Best thing about TBHP. Great to see such actions!
Dr.Mechanic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 21:23   #6
BHPian

Funny enough, but we were having this discussion on the Toyota Fortuner thread a couple of days back.

(Toyota Fortuner : Official Review)Link

Rahulk76 has enquired with AIS, and it seems there is a retail chain, substantiating this news. It will be huge boon, and looking forward to more information coming through.

Quoting from AIS website,
Quote:
"Solar Control Glass

Laminated Glass with increased iron content absorbs infrared rays and reduces the amount of heat in the car. This helps in:

Reducing the solar energy entering the car
Preventing the rise of interior temperatures
Reducing the load on the air-conditioning, thereby reducing fuel consumption
Reducing cool-down time after sun-soaked conditions
Reducing skin irritation caused by sunlight"

Last edited by Overlander : 17th April 2019 at 21:26. Reason: Spelling
Overlander is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 21:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is plain fraud making people spend a 'mountain' when sun film can be had for a 'mole hill'. I feel the ban on sun films needs to be lifted. It's not like rapes and kidnapping has come down after the ban was imposed.
Durango Dude is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 09:23   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
This is plain fraud making people spend a 'mountain' when sun film can be had for a 'mole hill'. I feel the ban on sun films needs to be lifted. It's not like rapes and kidnapping has come down after the ban was imposed.
Fraudulent? Yes. But not just this.

The sunlight that hits all of us do not have much of this harmful UV on one end of the spectrum and the Infrared on the other end of the spectrum like their marketing department make you believe. Else all the poor chaps who are out in the sun will perish.

So what is it then?

Most of what we see is visible light, the only way for a sunfilm to 'work' is by blocking visible light, that's it and it is visible light that makes you feel hot when it hits your skin.

Supreme Court did us a favor.
Old 18th April 2019, 09:30   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, the Cartoq article is giving the wrong impression.

This glass is ONLY available to OEMs at the moment. Meaning, you can expect to see more new cars rolling out with the dark green UV cut glass, but you can't retrofit them in your existing car.
Thanks Rush. My thought exactly - that this is a product designed for OEMs by Asahi in keeping with the permitted tint shade.

To my recollection, what the SC had held was that even RTO does not have the power to permit the 30:70 film if it is aftermarket as it tantamounts to a modification. But if it is within the 30:70 (hope I got the number right) off the factory floor that's fine.
Old 18th April 2019, 10:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Even if it was reasonably priced, unless any car comes stock with tinted glass, the public cannot use this. Using this will be considered as an illegal modification of the homologated product.

Long story short, government should make sunfilms legal again. I'm tilted for regulation (even if the govt claims its short of machinery to implement) & anti "if you can't regulate - ban it" culture that govts wield.

Edit : Dear Mods, please do consider changing the title of this thread.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 18th April 2019 at 10:24.
GrammarNazi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 10:36   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The sunlight that hits all of us do not have much of this harmful UV on one end of the spectrum and the Infrared on the other end of the spectrum like their marketing department make you believe. Else all the poor chaps who are out in the sun will perish.

So what is it then?

Most of what we see is visible light, the only way for a sunfilm to 'work' is by blocking visible light, that's it and it is visible light that makes you feel hot when it hits your skin.

What favour did the supreme court do us? Any of the smaller towns and cities still have people running jet black tints.

BTW a 70% visibility film isn't rejecting a large amount of visible light. Yet how is it that the film still manages to cut out a large amount of heat and reduce the burning sensation felt on bare skin? I'm talking about a good brand like Vkool or 3M?
Akshay1234 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 11:21   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Fraudulent? Yes. But not just this.

So what is it then?

Brushing up on my 12th standard physics:

Energy in a wave = h.f (h is Plank's constant and f is frequency. So, more frequency means more energy means more heat)
Frequency of UV ray is in Peta Hertz (10^16) range.
Frequency of Visible light is in Tera Hertz (10^12) range.
So, 1 unit of UV ray has 10,000 times more energy than 1 unit of visible light.

The solar waves hitting the earth is 44% visible light and 3% UV light. Let's say 1 unit of visible light has energy E. The 44 units of visible light have energy 44E. 1 unit of UV ray has 5000E (taking half of 10,000 assuming that the top frequencies are somehow blocked). 3 units of UV ray will have 15000E. So, out of total energy per 100 unit of rays, only 44E belongs to visible light while 15000E belongs to UV ray!

So, it can be seen that most of the energy coming from the sun lies in the UV range. If one can effectively block the UV range, one can reduce the heat by a great deal. It can also be experienced outside of car. Try walking in the sun with sunscreen for few days and without it for few days.

Last edited by ashlil : 18th April 2019 at 11:25. Reason: more explanation
ashlil is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 12:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

The article also mentions that VLT limit upto 70% for windshields and 50% for side glasses is acceptable. Didn't supreme court ban all tint, or can I comply to these norms and never have any legal issues?
Old 18th April 2019, 13:29   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The article also mentions that VLT limit upto 70% for windshields and 50% for side glasses is acceptable. Didn't supreme court ban all tint, or can I comply to these norms and never have any legal issues?
Supreme court bans any sort of aftermarket tint irrespective of VLT. Nothing over OEM glasses.

That's why Baleno's UV cut glass was seen as God sent and other OEMs and models should also get such solutions right from the factory.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 16:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I do not know about the condition in Bangalore but here in Kerala, during March of 2019 alone there were more than 290 admits because of sunburn/stroke (4 have lost their lives already) . The Health Dept has advised workers to change their working hours and to avoid direct sun exposure from 11am to 3pm. The UV index is way beyond the safe limit and has been in the extreme limit consistently. UV-index 10+ is capable of burning the skin in less than 25 minutes.

My mother is working with the National Rural Health Mission and a majority of her patients are the above 'poor chaps' and the sun has caused some serious damage with really long lasting effects on them. The tricky thing is that you wont notice the burn until the radiation has done considerable damage.

Quote:
I hope you were being sarcastic.

We had a perfectly working, easy and economically viable solution for years. To be honest, looking at the big picture they rocked the boat in the first place. Attempting to calm the waves now is not so great a feat.

What about the existing cars without tinted glasses? I hope that better sense prevails and this ban gets lifted.

OT : I've been trying to figure out the correlation between the rape cases in our country and an inanimate object like sun control film from the day this ban was imposed. Am I missing some point?
--gKrish-- is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks