Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2019, 09:38   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW Tiguan AllSpace with 3rd-row seating, now launched

Given that the Tiguan all space will probably be priced at a premium to the Kodiaq, think this does not make sense. If they can get it at around the current price, of course a 7 seater option is always welcome. Will probably enter the consideration set for my Vento replacement next year.
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 18:51   #17
BHPian

Media reports suggest that the 2020 Tiguan Allspace will be 7 seater only and "hold your breath .." Petrol FWD only, at least for now!

To me that is stunning news. VAG is a Diesel leader in India, at least in SUV. Kodiaq .. Diesel only, Tiguan .. Diesel only. The current Tiguan was also moderately well received, then WHY would VAG completely shake up the specs of an existing car and offer its replacement in Petrol only! That too when most experts on this forum suggest that an SUV has to be diesel to compete and most people prefer it.

Why, then why would VAG choose to offer its replacement Tiguan with Petrol. I can think of 4 scenarios:

1. It does not have a 2 L diesel? Not true .. it has great diesel engines which are fully BS6 compliant.
2. Diesel Tiguan will not sell? Haha no way.. it's the opposite. So far it's been selling only Diesels.
3. It has no clue what it's doing? Hmm that's possible.
4. The Diesel engines in the BS6 world (in India) could become a nightmare to operate and sell? Does it know something we don't?
Old 30th October 2019, 05:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
Why, then why would VAG choose to offer its replacement Tiguan with Petrol. I can think of 4 scenarios:
I think this could be the main reason for this. Also Honda CRV sold a lot in petrol versions, and is still selling with both in Diesel and Petrol, a price competitor to Tiguan. I for one was waiting for the Petrol version since launch .

A welcome news. Good job VW India.

Last edited by ampere : 30th October 2019 at 07:12. Reason: fixed quote tags
Old 30th October 2019, 08:30   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
1. It does not have a 2 L diesel? Not true .. it has great diesel engines which are fully BS6 compliant.
2. Diesel Tiguan will not sell? Haha no way.. it's the opposite. So far it's been selling only Diesels.
3. It has no clue what it's doing? Hmm that's possible.
4. The Diesel engines in the BS6 world (in India) could become a nightmare to operate and sell? Does it know something we don't?
Until BSVI fuel is freely available, VW do not wish to be saddled with sick diesel engines which would sully their reputation further. My guess is we would need to wait until all BSIV fuel stocks have been consumed.

The second aspect is the cost of the BSVI engine and getting consumers to understand the best cases for BSVI engines. It grates my teeth when I go for my morning walk and see folks who live a 10 min walk away, drive over in their Q3's etc.

Last edited by ajmat : 8th December 2019 at 18:51.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 09:57   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Until BSVI fuel is freely available, VW do not be to be saddled with sick Diesel engines which would sully their reputation further
Great point, ajmat! The last thing diesel car manufacturers are social media-spread "OMG" stories about a brand new BS-IV diesel getting 'ruined' by BS-VI fuel OR a BS-VI diesel being 'ruined' by BS-IV fuel in the runup to the changeover.

Either ways its reputational slaughter so it makes sense to let the pan-India switchover happen while selling less risky petrols, and then bring in the Euro-6 diesels in late 2020 or early 2021. This is of course unless the NGT effect forces more Tier 1 cities to suddenly restrict diesel certificates of fitness to only 10 years.
Old 6th December 2019, 21:12   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkwagen Tiguan Allspace spied in India, launching in early 2020.

The Tiguan Allspace for India is likely to be powered by a petrol engine that could be the only powertrain option that this seven-seater could be sold.

VW Tiguan AllSpace with 3rd-row seating, now launched-volkswagentiguanallspace1.jpg

VW Tiguan AllSpace with 3rd-row seating, now launched-volkswagentiguanallspace2.jpg

VW Tiguan AllSpace with 3rd-row seating, now launched-volkswagentiguanallspace3.jpg

VW Tiguan AllSpace with 3rd-row seating, now launched-volkswagentiguanallspace4.jpg

Quote:
The Allspace variant of the Tiguan is Volkswagen's Kodiaq, so to speak. Its a seven-seater variant of the Volkswagen Tiguan, that sits on a 109mm longer wheelbase which increases the cabin room to incorporate the third row of seats and leaves a respectable boot volume. Drop the third row, however, and you get a massive 700l boot, compared to the 615l of the regular Tiguan
Quote:
The petrol engine in question is a 2.0l TSI four-cylinder direct-injection turbo-petrol with an output of 180PS and 320Nm.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th December 2019 at 21:19.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 23:34   #22
Team-BHP Support

It does look a lot more proportionate with the stretched dimensions, but a petrol-only 7-seater? We aren't ready for that yet.
Old 7th December 2019, 14:33   #23
BHPian

That's a beautiful SUV

A diesel does have its advantages, but If you can afford to run it, nothing like the refinement of a petrol.

I wonder if any politicians would swap their Fortuners for this car.
Old 8th December 2019, 15:50   #24
BHPian

Well I would say a much needed petrol 7 seater in this segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
a petrol-only 7-seater? We aren't ready for that yet.
Well actually many people are. .

Considering the fact that most of these are for urban commute and occasional highway runs, refinement & maintenance costs trump fuel costs.
haldar_siliguri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 09:29   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Tiguan ALLSPACE spied again,

VW Tiguan AllSpace with 3rd-row seating, now launched-2020volkswagentiguanallspacespiedlaunch3.jpg

VW Tiguan AllSpace with 3rd-row seating, now launched-2020volkswagentiguanallspacespiedlaunch11536x864.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th December 2019 at 09:52.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 10:12   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks classy and very European. The added length has really done wonders to the overall vehicle. Hope they price it sensibly.

Will be favoured that select group of buyers deliberately avoiding the 'nazar effect' of buying the Big 5's more blingy crossover/SUVs.
Old 24th December 2019, 20:11   #27
BHPian

Spotted this test mule of VW Tiguan ALLSPACE just ahead of khed shivapur toll plaza
Attached Thumbnails
VW Tiguan AllSpace with 3rd-row seating, now launched-5cbca5006ba34e6781c584c18a8464c5.jpeg  

VW Tiguan AllSpace with 3rd-row seating, now launched-31d5181a5c424ba9982dd0aa02f45964.jpeg  

VW Tiguan AllSpace with 3rd-row seating, now launched-f0d9b780cf824b2db8d01c4fa14c990d.jpeg  

VW Tiguan AllSpace with 3rd-row seating, now launched-2c3f4eee1e9a475ca6877cba8ea6d8f5.jpeg  

Last edited by ShubhamGhute : 24th December 2019 at 20:14.
ShubhamGhute is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 20:38   #28
BHPian

It is very bland looking design for me as per the pictures. Front of a car ,side profile of a MUV and rear of a estate. Doesn't look like a SUV from any angle. The Tiguan in present shape looks better but to every person it's one's own like from design angle. By the way SUV has to be diesel in Indian people's mindset if we consider the number of popular petrol SUVs selling like Fortuner or XUV500 , must be less than 1 percent of their total sales.
Old 24th December 2019, 21:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the R Line variant. But this variant comes with 20 inch wheels in the UK while the one caught by Shubham is riding on 17 inchers. I say this is a good move by VW India since the normal Tiguan rides pretty stiff on 17 inch wheels. So can just imagine how terrible the 20 inch version would be on our roads.

Also I think this is the 2.0 TSI engine on test because the 1.5 TSI engine doesn't get 4WD option in UK and is only FWD while the 2.0 TSI only gets 4WD as standard. And since the current Tiguan comes with 4motion technology, expect the same with the Allspace too. But the 2.0 TSI would surely be a gas guzzler. It is rated at only 30 MPG in the UK while the 2.0 diesel is rated at 38 MPG.
ram87pune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 21:16   #30
BHPian

Looks great! Love the rear looks. Unlike the Fortuner and Endeavour which are huge, this is just perfectly sized, big enough for 5+2 seating yet compact for the narrow roads of India.

Pricing will be the key factor. VAG will have to bring their BS6 TDI engines. Because the 2.0 TDI is imported from Poland, and it already meets Euro 6 standards, they can easily launch one once Oil companies start selling BS6 Diesel.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks