Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2019, 18:09   #151
BANNED

re: Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh

Because only hatchback that we see on the road isn't already a Baleno! What a strategy by Toyota. It's gonna sell like hot cakes because people are now getting that Toyota badging which is just as trustworthy as MS according to their mentality. Soon after a few years, all we're gonna see on the roads here are Marutis & rebadged Marutis.
Old 30th April 2019, 18:12   #152
BHPian

While its definitely funny from one perspective on the effort that has been put in to come up with this, on the other hand its pretty sad.

For a brand that has established itself very well in India, coming up with such products its definitely embarrassing

As far as Toyota is concerned we are a third world country and we don't deserve anything good from their line up.
RJ411 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 18:18   #153
BHPian

I think this whole joke of an exercise is just in order to adhere to sort of terms and conditions that might be part of the JV pact.
Maybe there is a clause that says the JV should release at least one product within x years.

This stupid idea could only have been brought up by a heartless BeanCounter who couldn't care less about cars or even customers.

It looks to me as if, Toyota was desperate to keep the venture floating and Suzuki was probably like "Well, we've got nothing to lose here. On top of that we just sold x thousand cars with absolutely no effort.!"
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 19:06   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
what about the next part of the story - Toyota giving cars to Suzuki. If we can get a Corolla with just a badge change and with Suzuki Price, it would be awesome !
I doubt this is going to happen as Toyota will not be bringing the 2020 Corolla to our shores. And there is no point rebadging the version currently on sale in India.
hiren.mistry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 20:26   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfreak View Post
The render didn't make sense because it would have led to sheet metal changes (even if trivial)

The turnaround time for the launch suggests a very short term approach which is bound to fail if there is no significant value add (Additional warranty etc) for customers.

We have to keep in mind that premium hatch customers are price sensitive (unlike an Innova fan) which is why a good product like Jazz could find only a lukewarm response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
I see it a bit differently.

The Baleno to begin with is a good looking car. Why would Toyota mess around with a product that consistently sells 12-15K+ units/month? Whatever MS has done with the Baleno is helping them rack in profits! Toyota just badge-engineers it and adds to the numbers. And the Glanza is a better looking Toyota than the Etios/Liva, which could be phased out now.

It's a win-win game for both!

Whatever may have been the constraints, this effort is plain lazy. Just look at all rebadged cars in India. Some of the best efforts are Vento & Rapid, Duster & Terrano. Even others such as Sunny & Scalia, Micra & Pulse had better exterior differentiators. If niche players like Nissan & Skoda can make an attempt to differentiate, then shouldnt Toyota do so? They make much higher profits in India due to the Innova and fortuner, which others like Skoda and Nissan can only dream of.

And there could been some intelligence applied to this whole make over. Its not all about sheet metal changes etc. Bumpers, fenders and grill could have been changed, and also the tail light design could have also been worked on, keeping the shape as is.

Just an example, although not directly relevant, Hyundai has done a facelift to the Creta recently. They have not tampered with the lights, only the Grill and the bumper. So much so that for 34k, any earlier Creta can be changed to this facelift version. Just looking at it visually, both the Cretas look very different. But the elements that have been changed are few.

Just think that Toyota could have done this rebadging a little bit more intelligently. Need not have spent the big bucks. The current one is too easy for anyone to spot that the Glanza is nothing but a Baleno. The same cannot be said of others like the Vento and the Rapid. A lot of people even today may not know this.
motorworks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 10:32   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Im very fascinated by the response to the Toyota Glanza aka Mommy, someone stole the big S badges from our car, lets replace them with nicer ones sister of the Maruti Baleno. As a customer, yes its a lazy move and its almost to the point of being comical. Same build quality, same engines, same paint jobs but a different name. As they say, if it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it is quite likely to actually be a duck. As in the bird and not in a cricket sense.

That said, if we look at it from the manufacturer's perspective, things begin to manifest themselves a little differently. Yes Toyota and Suzuki are making strides to become one but if you have ever been a part of a merger or acquisition (Ive been in one though in the IT service space, it isnt pretty!) you will know the challenges you face on the ground. There is a constant pressure for 'quick wins' to showcase to the management that their business decision is a 'success'. This becomes a huge challenge when engineering decisions are involved. I for one, would have liked the Glanza to come with 7 airbags and (a perceived) better build quality than the Baleno and a greater warranty period. That said, to achieve this, Toyota would have had to engineer a proven platform and test it before launching it in the market. How can a company provide a greater warranty on a product developed by someone else without any testing? Think of the time that they would have lost in the process. Hence if Toyota's mission was to get a 'quick win' for the partnership (99.9% sure this was the case and it was a top management decision) and get a new product out the door, a logo exchange was the best option.

Also, to the question of why sell rebadged cars in a Toyota showroom right now? In the immortal words of the great management guru Hans from the Fast and the Furious franchise, "Fifty percent of something is better than a hundred percent of nothing."

Not sure if this was reported earlier on the thread but there are some interesting details published by Overdrive.

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki has updated its executive board with the appointment of the Shashank Srivastava as the company's new head of marketing and sales. It is being said that this rejig in the top position is in line with the company's new plans of working with Toyota as well as the new emission norms that come into effect from next year onward. Additionally, Maruti Suzuki has re-appointed Kenichi Ayukawa as the Managing Director of the company. Ayukawa will be serving his third tenure as Managing Director and CEO of Maruti Suzuki India, his first being in March 2013. In a different filing, Maruti Suzuki's board also passed an approval on the manufacturing of its compact SUV offering, the Vitara Brezza by Toyota Kirloskar Motor (TKM) at its own facility in early 2022. Maruti Suzuki believes that this will help the company save money from investing in a new manufacturing facility. This rebadged and also the new variants of Vitara Brezza will be sold through the sales channel of both Maruti Suzuki and TKM respectively. In addition, Maruti Suzuki's board has also approved supplying a derivative of the Baleno to TKM which would help in increasing the sales of the premium hatchback. Further, the board has also given a green signal to the use of Toyota Hybrid System (THS) in the company's future offerings.
Here is another great management key word in such mergers and acquisitions - cost savings. Imagine how many hundreds of crores are being saved through the better utilization of Toyota's plant while avoiding building a new one for Maruti Suzuki.

Also Im not sure if the derivative of the Baleno could be a higher specced variant.

Link - http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/2...u-should-know/
neil.jericho is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 11:24   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Just think that Toyota could have done this rebadging a little bit more intelligently. Need not have spent the big bucks. The current one is too easy for anyone to spot that the Glanza is nothing but a Baleno. The same cannot be said of others like the Vento and the Rapid. A lot of people even today may not know this.
Don't know about Nissan-Renault cousins, but Vento and Rapid had more serious differentiators, such as engine and drive train options (yup! I'm nitpicking).

Personally, I won't mind even if Glanza had absolutely no exterior changes. After all, the Baleno is a decent looker anyway, why change it for the sake of it. But I wish Toyota had taken the opportunity to address its shortcomings instead. As no specs have been released so far, fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Also, to the question of why sell rebadged cars in a Toyota showroom right now? In the immortal words of the great management guru Hans from the Fast and the Furious franchise, "Fifty percent of something is better than a hundred percent of nothing." ......

......Here is another great management key word in such mergers and acquisitions - cost savings. Imagine how many hundreds of crores are being saved through the better utilization of Toyota's plant while avoiding building a new one for Maruti Suzuki.
From what I have followed in this thread, and reports in news papers a couple of days back (sorry, not able to give reference links), both Baleno and Glanza will be made in Suzuki Motors India's facility in Gujarat, and shipped out to respective dealers. Can't see where the cost saving and capacity utilization is. In fact, there is only the added marketing cost, that is if both cars are just the same.

Also, again from this thread, Maruti Suzuki will stop selling Brezza in a couple of years, and will be exclusively manufactured and sold by Toyota under the same agreement.
Old 1st May 2019, 11:43   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
From what I have followed in this thread, and reports in news papers a couple of days back (sorry, not able to give reference links), both Baleno and Glanza will be made in Suzuki Motors India's facility in Gujarat, and shipped out to respective dealers. Can't see where the cost saving and capacity utilization is. In fact, there is only the added marketing cost, that is if both cars are just the same. Also, again from this thread, Maruti Suzuki will stop selling Brezza in a couple of years, and will be exclusively manufactured and sold by Toyota under the same agreement.
I have only used cost savings with regards to the quoted text which I am quoting again below.

Quote:
In a different filing, Maruti Suzuki's board also passed an approval on the manufacturing of its compact SUV offering, the Vitara Brezza by Toyota Kirloskar Motor (TKM) at its own facility in early 2022. Maruti Suzuki believes that this will help the company save money from investing in a new manufacturing facility.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 11:44   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota GLANZA will make its debut in April dispatches in the monthly sales chart .

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-g1.jpg

Shows as 364, and this to be all accounted to dealers/test drive vehicles.

Maruti Suzuki data mentions:

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-00.jpg

Quote:
Effective April 2019, Sales to other OEM have commenced and are reported as ‘Sales to other OEM’.
Total Domestic Sales (Domestic + OEM) and Total Sales (Domestic + Exports) may be viewed in this context

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st May 2019 at 11:51.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 14:11   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a constant pressure for 'quick wins' to showcase to the management that their business decision is a 'success'. This becomes a huge challenge when engineering decisions are involved. I for one, would have liked the Glanza to come with 7 airbags and (a perceived) better build quality than the Baleno and a greater warranty period. That said, to achieve this, Toyota would have had to engineer a proven platform and test it before launching it in the market.
This could surely have brought quick wins to TKM but judging by the comments from fellow BHPians, it has only brought contempt and ridicule and rightly so. I am sure that will go down well with the management, NOT!

Toyota could very easily have launched the export version of the Baleno with side and curtain airbags which I am sure will have structural reinforcements compared to our 'desi' Baleno. That would be a great differentiator and the premium pricing would be justified.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 15:41   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
This could surely have brought quick wins to TKM but judging by the comments from fellow BHPians, it has only brought contempt and ridicule and rightly so. I am sure that will go down well with the management, NOT!

Toyota could very easily have launched the export version of the Baleno with side and curtain airbags which I am sure will have structural reinforcements compared to our 'desi' Baleno. That would be a great differentiator and the premium pricing would be justified.
TBH, we take the influence of our forum a little too seriously. The Yaris with 7 airbags from the base variant failed in the market. BHPians have different reasons for it 🙂
We ourselves go for which one offers more VFM, I am sure the market won't mind the same.

The price list is not released. Let's save the outrage for that later.

I believe it'll be a success story simply because it's a great selling car. They cannot do an export model v local market differentiation. That'll be like cutting the hand that feeds them.

Maruti will not allow it under any circumstances. It's too ridiculous for it to happen.
SchumiFan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 15:56   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
TBH, we take the influence of our forum a little too seriously. The Yaris with 7 airbags from the base variant failed in the market. BHPians have different reasons for it ��
We ourselves go for which one offers more VFM, I am sure the market won't mind the same.
That I agree, we form a miniscule % of the car buying public. The Yaris failed because of its pricing and I clearly remember most of us went up in arms against it.

Quote:
The price list is not released. Let's save the outrage for that later.
Regarding the pricing, I have no reasons to believe that TKM will price the Glanza at par with the Baleno. I'd be happy to swallow my pride if this is not the case.

Quote:
I believe it'll be a success story simply because it's a great selling car. They cannot do an export model v local market differentiation. That'll be like cutting the hand that feeds them.
TKM had to differentiate the Glanza vs the Baleno, and safety can be a good bet. Didn't they do the same with the Yaris? There is nothing special about that Yaris besides the 7 airbags.
Old 1st May 2019, 16:54   #163
Senior - BHPian

The biggest dfferentiation should be in power windows switch console, hope that Toyota has not retained Maruti's decade old switch console.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 17:08   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
The biggest dfferentiation should be in power windows switch console, hope that Toyota has not retained Maruti's decade old switch console.
Those switches IIRC debuted in the 2005 Swift, so they are easily over a decade old. I would love to see backlit switches for the windows. My Fiat Punto had them all backlit in orange.
Old 1st May 2019, 18:51   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Well, I don't think so. Toyota has been least bothered about this car is what I have been seeing. I mean, they didn't even redesign the lights! What do you expect?

Secondly, I don't think Maruti has any other part for the window controls so this is pretty much going to be the same.

Cheers!
porsche_guy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed