Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2019, 19:48   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
This could surely have brought quick wins to TKM but judging by the comments from fellow BHPians, it has only brought contempt and ridicule and rightly so. I am sure that will go down well with the management, NOT!

Toyota could very easily have launched the export version of the Baleno with side and curtain airbags which I am sure will have structural reinforcements compared to our 'desi' Baleno. That would be a great differentiator and the premium pricing would be justified.
While our forum and other social media sources are influencers in various degrees, the greatest voice that any manufacturer listens to is that of the customer! Or absent customers as many predict in the case of the Glanza. If people continue to buy the Baleno from Nexa showrooms and shun the Glanza, Toyota will realize that they cannot afford another badge swap exercise while they build the partnership and actually leverage each other's engineering prowess.

We both agree that a safer Baleno / Glanza should have been Toyota's offering. However the more Toyota deviates from the proven Maruti Suzuki Baleno script, the more they have to work with vendors to source parts, streamline manufacturing operations, test the vehicles, get their legal team's approval (in IT sales, this is the hardest part!) and then roll out the product. Imagine the amount of testing involved once the revised Baleno / Glanza was fitted with seven airbags and say a sunroof. And the corresponding time delays. Its unfortunately the way it is.

That said, this is all speculation until the final specifications are revealed.
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 14:37   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

We both agree that a safer Baleno / Glanza should have been Toyota's offering. However the more Toyota deviates from the proven Maruti Suzuki Baleno script, the more they have to work with vendors to source parts, streamline manufacturing operations, test the vehicles, get their legal team's approval (in IT sales, this is the hardest part!) and then roll out the product. Imagine the amount of testing involved once the revised Baleno / Glanza was fitted with seven airbags and say a sunroof. And the corresponding time delays. Its unfortunately the way it is.

That said, this is all speculation until the final specifications are revealed.
Yep, till the time Toyota officially launch the car, this is all we can do - Debate.

Regarding interfacing with vendors, why would Toyota have to do that? Aren't they simply buying from Maruti and sell it to Joe Public?
And instead of buying the Baleno made for local consumption, TKM could have bought the export Baleno with 6 airbags. And voila!
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 15:05   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Regarding interfacing with vendors, why would Toyota have to do that? Aren't they simply buying from Maruti and sell it to Joe Public?
And instead of buying the Baleno made for local consumption, TKM could have bought the export Baleno with 6 airbags. And voila!
Yes, you are right. In my last post, I mixed up Maruti making the Baleno for Toyota with Toyota making the Brezza going forward. Maruti Suzuki will have to interface with their existing vendors or work with new ones if they want to build a different Baleno for Toyota. Say with better power window switches or larger wipers etc. This will likely mean a production model (features wise) between the Indian Baleno and the export Baleno. That is how I interpreted the following quote from the Overdrive article I shared.

Quote:
In addition, Maruti Suzuki's board has also approved supplying a derivative of the Baleno to TKM which would help in increasing the sales of the premium hatchback.
On the topic of the export Baleno with 6 airbags, sigh! Why couldnt Maruti have given it to India in the first place? Only in India.
Old 2nd May 2019, 15:22   #169
BHPian

Any new product manufacturing ground up involves great deal of supply chain management , For Toyota it is easy to change the monicker and leave the production to Suzuki than setup SCM just to make Toyota spec car.
Old 2nd May 2019, 21:58   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Toyota GLANZA will make its debut in April dispatches in the monthly sales chart .

Attachment 1872979

Shows as 364, and this to be all accounted to dealers/test drive vehicles.

Maruti Suzuki data mentions:

Attachment 1872978
So, as anticipated Toyota Glanza seems to be nothing more than a re-badged Baleno. . This is really sad. Just hope, it is different under the skin.
Finger crossed.
Old 2nd May 2019, 22:21   #171
Senior - BHPian

Damn, for all the tall claims by Toyota that the car will be different from the Baleno, it boiled down to just a change in the front grille, not even a change in design of the alloy wheels ? Whatever it is, Toyota will have to keep in mind that this time around its not their badge that is going to sell the car, but the car herself as it has been proven by Maruti Suzuki already. Lets see how they price the car.

Meanwhile, Shaw Toyota from Pune is advertising on Facebook asking people to add a comment on the possible launch date of Glanza. I commented that "it doesn't matter because the car was already launched few years back by Maruti Suzuki" . They blocked me and removed my comment

Last edited by NiInJa : 2nd May 2019 at 22:24.
NiInJa is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 23:39   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Meanwhile, Shaw Toyota from Pune is advertising on Facebook asking people to add a comment on the possible launch date of Glanza. I commented that "it doesn't matter because the car was already launched few years back by Maruti Suzuki" . They blocked me and removed my comment
And Toyota expected that their brand value is everything. Yes, they have got good brand value both globally and in India but this nowhere means that they can fool customers by launching existing models, simply by putting their brand logo and expectedly at higher prices.

C'mon Toyota, even Duster and Terrano, Sunny and Scala, Micra and Pulse look different. At least give customer some reason to go for your car rather than simply your brand logo.
SamitMukherjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 16:03   #173
BHPian

We know certain times that manufacturers don't want leaks about their new offering, sometimes they do selective leaks but pretend that they didn't do that. Just thinking - what about this "leaked" images from Toyota? could it be that they wanted to test public opinion?
gopalnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 00:20   #174
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Glanza spotted at a dealership yard

Red Toyota Glanza spied at a dealer stockyard
AdityaDeane is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 11:31   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Damn, for all the tall claims by Toyota that the car will be different from the Baleno, it boiled down to just a change in the front grille, not even a change in design of the alloy wheels ? Whatever it is, Toyota will have to keep in mind that this time around its not their badge that is going to sell the car, but the car herself as it has been proven by Maruti Suzuki already. Lets see how they price the car.

It's always amazing how touchy these guys are to truthful criticism. Even Amazon has a history of not allowing reviews that point out glaring misrepresentation!
Old 4th May 2019, 12:59   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Glanza ready for display!

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-1.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 15:19   #177
BHPian

More pics of the Glanza shared on the Autocar forum.

http://forum.autocarindia.com/topic/...comment-171573
Old 4th May 2019, 15:25   #178
Senior - BHPian

Does Toyota have any plans of selling the Baleno RS? Possibly badged as a Toyota Glanza TRD Sportivo.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-images6.jpeg  

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 4th May 2019 at 15:29.
Old 4th May 2019, 17:42   #179
BHPian

Will the Toyota Glanza be equipped with a media player that supports Android Auto and Apple Car, as Glanza is a just a rebadged car and Maruti cars have them. If so, it will be the first for Toyota in India.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 4th May 2019 at 17:43.
Old 4th May 2019, 18:32   #180

No disagreement about the fact that it's a huge disappointment from Toyota.

The least they could have done was bring newer shades for the Baleno and make some difference

Most Viewed