Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2019, 19:07   #181
BHPian

re: Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh

Toyota has really missed a big opportunity to establish it in the premium hatch segment. A few changes in the exteriors and they could have got some differentiation to justify the rebadging.

However, I feel that Toyota is not going to sell the Glanza at a premium. Looking at the pictures, they do not have any reason to. I know Toyota products have some snob value and are priced higher, but the beating they got with Yaris, they would try to be doubly sure that they do not race towards back to back failures.

So, we may be looking at a Baleno with a Toyota badge which would be priced the same and would have better service offers. Glanza will be offering 3 years/100000 km warranty compared to 2 years / 40000 kilometres of Baleno.

I don't think Toyota has aggressive ambitions to flood the market with Glanza. They are looking for incremental numbers which they would easily find with competitive pricing, the lure of the badge and better service offerings.

They could easily sneak in with a 1200 odd figure a month, get some respite in cafe emissions, and test the waters with rebadged products in India.
Old 4th May 2019, 19:21   #182
Senior - BHPian

So finally Maruti Suzuki, after successfully distorting customers' understanding of cars with its lame products and 'kitna deti hai' pitch, is able to corrupt the thought process of Toyota bosses.

Though final specs are yet to be revealed, but I don't have high hopes. Even if Toyota settles for export spec, fully loaded Baleno to be re-christened as Glanza, I'll be cautious as a tin can be enhanced as much.
AutoNoob is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 20:57   #183
BHPian

Its laughable that some people here think that the rebadged car being sold in Toyota's showroom would be superior to the one being sold in the original manufaturer's showroom. No manufacturer in the world would allow that to happen, under any circumstances.

Expect the same with Brezza and hopefully 20 forum pages don't get filled up when that launches. And the same with Corolla when it goes the other way.

This entire exercise seems to be for one thing. Show the boards that Toyota can sell good compact cars in decent numbers, if provided with a competent model and that Suzuki can questionably sell a large car under Nexa in a similar scenario. And once the study is complete, tell the boards to merge the one of the top manufacturers in the world with what might be one of the highest selling <4m manufacturers in the world.
autorahul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 21:06   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
---
Expect the same with Brezza and hopefully 20 forum pages don't get filled up when that launches. And the same with Corolla when it goes the other way.
---
We speculated there would be differences, but see below, excerpts from an interview ( 2018)with R C Bhargav on the cross- badging.

R C Bhargav:
Quote:
Never said will tweak Brezza & Baleno.
Quote:
I do not think we have said that we will ever tweak the cars because I am not sure what tweaking the cars actually means
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th May 2019 at 21:12.
Old 4th May 2019, 22:08   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
We speculated there would be differences, but see below, excerpts from an interview ( 2018)with R C Bhargav on the cross- badging.
Never said will tweak Brezza & Baleno.
I do not think we have said that we will ever tweak the cars because I am not sure what tweaking the cars actually means.
I apologize for sounding rude, but more and more I hear Mr. Bhargava over last few years, seems like he's long due for proper retirement.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 4th May 2019 at 22:12.
AutoNoob is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 23:08   #186
BANNED

I feel this to be a social experiment to find the customer understanding of Suzuki and Toyota. This may be an experiment to decide after the rumoured future take over of Suzuki by Toyota, whether the cars should have a Suzuki moniker or a Toyota moniker. In simple words, the question “will the customers prefer a Toyota badge over a Suzuki badge, provided all other factors remain the same” needs to be answered by the customers.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 09:21   #187
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno) launching in June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I feel this to be a social experiment to find the customer understanding of Suzuki and Toyota. This may be an experiment to decide after the rumoured future take over of Suzuki by Toyota, whether the cars should have a Suzuki moniker or a Toyota moniker. In simple words, the question "will the customers prefer a Toyota badge over a Suzuki badge, provided all other factors remain the same" needs to be answered by the customers.

I do not think this is an experiment to test which badge the customer prefers. Suzuki is the market leader by a big stretch. Credibility of the brand is unquestionable, even against a global biggie like Toyota.
I think if a take over eventually happens, it should be pretty simple. All cars up to 10 lakhs carry the Suzuki name plate, in this case almost all Suzuki cars can carry on with the existing name plate, including the Brezza, Ciaz and Ertiga. Any new models belong planned above the 10 lakh bracket can possibly carry the Toyota badge, for example the Vitara, which is rumoured to be a Creta rival. And thats the way it should be.
Toyota has failed to make any inroads in the under 10 lakh segment, well except the Etios which is a fleet operator favourite, so they might as just well stay out of this and use Suzuki as their Daihatsu in India.
Old 5th May 2019, 17:29   #188
Senior - BHPian

Toyota? Really? Glanza? What?

I’m seeing this as someone adopting a well known child of another and trying to rename him / her with their family name! Sorry people outside will still remember that person as with his original name unless there was some change to the face or appearance with a surgery to make things different.

What’s your next move? Go to Tata and ask for Tiago JTP & rename it as Fiasco TRD?

I know you’ve your strategy - but for a layman like me, sorry it seems more like Japanese carmaker wants to go Chinese with a lame grille change. Just like RR had a competitor in China who kept copying their design. Atleast that company changed the fascia and few other design cues. But here it’s straight pick and drop into your showroom

Last edited by gururajrv : 5th May 2019 at 17:36.
Old 5th May 2019, 18:02   #189
BHPian

"Hatchin' Soon"Really Toyota?!

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_20190505_175847.jpg

I ain't buyin' Ur Chick for sure!

Have they just lost the plot? using a cheesy campaign like this.

So what was Liva? An Ugly Duckling
Moto$apien is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 20:43   #190
Senior - BHPian

I have another question. Why didn't Toyota just launch a hatchback version of the Yaris in india ? They are already making the car with heavy localization. The hatch would help them get more economies of scale and being a true Toyota car, it would have sold in huge numbers (if priced competitively)Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1557069210.128972.jpgToyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1557069218.465631.jpg
nik_kapur is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 21:39   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

If You have seen Maruti Suzuki's Baleno , then there is no major differences to the Glanza!

Toyota is hoping to cash on the waiting period of Baleno and hoping to deliver to such customers the Glanza.

Toyota Glanza Revealed in full,

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-toyotaglanzafront.jpg

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-toyotaglanzaside.jpg

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-toyotaglanzainterior800x450.jpg

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-toyotaglanzaintrumentcluster800x450.jpg

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-toyotaglanzasteeringwheel.jpg

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-toyotaglanzakey800x450.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th May 2019 at 21:41.
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 21:40   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I have another question. Why didn't Toyota just launch a hatchback version of the Yaris in india ? They are already making the car with heavy localization. The hatch would help them get more economies of scale and being a true Toyota car, it would have sold in huge numbers (if priced competitively)Attachment 1873954Attachment 1873955
I think what Yaris missed is the looks. Indians are willing pay more for a Toyota, but the plane-Jane looks of Yaris would have put off many from buying it. The city which launched 5 years ago was looking much more modern.

I think the Yaris hatch would also be met with the same fate and Toyota don't want to do that experiment that.
Old 5th May 2019, 21:43   #193
Senior - BHPian

The Glanza is a sub four meter vehicle whereas the Yaris hatch isnt. (Correct me if I am wrong). This means Toyota wont get the excise benefits on the Yaris hatch in India.

Secondly, the way Yaris sedan has been priced (out of the segment more or less), i doubt Toyota has localised the car enough to price it competitively. Also, the sedan is a 1.5 petrol which means the Yaris hatch may not be as fuel efficient as the Glanza, if it comes the same engine as the sedan.
fx45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 23:14   #194
Senior - BHPian

On another note. Toyota has used this rebadging ploy in the USA as well. Here are images of the Mazda 3 and the US Yaris by Toyota. At least they made an effort with changing the front fascia ! Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1557078278.048543.jpgToyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1557078292.256983.jpg
Old 5th May 2019, 23:39   #195
BHPian

Toyota could have at least change the design of the wheels or front bumper design to identify the car on the first spot like Renault Pulse and Nissan Micra.

This is really sad. feels like they've used R&D dept only to discover the name Glanza

Expecting a sporty variant replacing the RS badge with TRD.

Most Viewed