Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2019, 07:46   #196
BHPian

re: Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh

I think the Yaris hatchback as mentioned in some previous replies would have been a better bet rather than the Glanza. Small changes like projector headlights, LED taillights would have made people to think about the Yaris. Me for example, would definitely put my money on a Yaris hatchback with 7 airbags and Toyota build rather than this one. Had a causal chat with a Toyota sales person and he said the prices will be identical to Baleno since Toyota is not paying any kind of premium to Maruti Suzuki for the car.
Old 6th May 2019, 08:32   #197
BHPian

A bad move by TKM. Rebadged cars never sell well in India. Examples like Nissan Terrano and Renault Scala were sales disasters, though the cars were good in their own right. I don't understand why can't Toyota bring in vehicles like CH-R, Hilux, FJ cruiser and RAV4. These will sell well and are very good cars. Heck, even our neighboring country Bhutan gets these cars(except FJ cruiser) and why can't they get it in India.
jithin23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 09:38   #198
Senior - BHPian

Is Toyota using Maruti's SmartPlay Studio infotainment as well? If yes, it would be interesting to see whether they are upgrading a software (showing a Toyota Logo on startup) or not.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th May 2019 at 10:04. Reason: Typo.
fx45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 11:16   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Toyota is hoping to cash on the waiting period of Baleno and hoping to deliver to such customers the Glanza.
Waiting period for Baleno ??

I doubt if there's any unless dealers have been instructed to show hypothetical waiting period. Few dealers I talked to over last six months are ready to give any variant almost immediately if you are flexible on colour; else you need to wait just 7~15 days so that dealer can 'arrange' the vehicle from central pool or nearby dealers.

And a look at the sales numbers over last 3 months provide testimony against waiting period.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 11:55   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

The name Glanza has been derived from the German word ‘glanz’, which means brightness.

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-1.jpg

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-2.jpg

Quote:
The Toyota Glanza comes with only one petrol engine, which gets the options of a 5-speed manual and a CVT gearbox. The engine will be a 1.2-litre unit – also sourced from Maruti – tuned to meet BS-VI regulations
Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 20:29   #201
BHPian

Rebadging, IMO, is nothing but attempt to cheat in the most absurd degree. Toyota should have refrained from this cheap tactics, at least considering its status, though overrated, in India
Ashley Nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 21:19   #202
Senior - BHPian

Its a win win for Maruti. Nobody is going to give a second glance to the badge, instead streets will be crowded by Baleno. Even the owners of Glanza will give up to others calling it Baleno.
fz_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 21:30   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Its a win win for Maruti. Nobody is going to give a second glance to the badge, instead streets will be crowded by Baleno. Even the owners of Glanza will give up to others calling it Baleno.
That is a valid point.. Never thought of that.
Why Toyota Why ?
Old 7th May 2019, 08:26   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

How many cars does Toyota need to sell to make this venture profitable for them? Without any initial money spent in the R&D stage, I am guessing that amount would be considerably lower. So now it boils down to pricing. If they price it at par, this car would sell. Just now I was showing this to my father ( who swears by the Toyota brand name after using an Innova and then Altis) and he just didn't pay any attention to me criticising this move. His only question was if the Glanza would be made in a Toyota plant or otherwise. Such is Toyota's brand loyalty. I would not be surprised if Toyota manages to sell this car in decent numbers and pricing is the only area of concern here.

But going by Toyota's pricing history, I expect them to price this at a premium and in that case this would meet the same fate as Yaris.
Old 7th May 2019, 09:55   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
How many cars does Toyota need to sell to make this venture profitable for them? .
This is a White labelled product, so its just inventory management and markup fee calculation for Toyota.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-label_product

Last edited by Thilak29 : 7th May 2019 at 09:57.
Old 7th May 2019, 10:30   #206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
His only question was if the Glanza would be made in a Toyota plant or otherwise. Such is Toyota's brand loyalty. I would not be surprised if Toyota manages to sell this car in decent numbers.
I won’t dispute his judgment and for some reasons, call it whatever, will pick this over MARUTI if and when it’s made in a Toyota plant. I had wished SUZUKI has given them export spec variant but it appears that’s not the case. So what all remains to be seen is when does Toyota actually starts production of these. They might have some exports plan as well for markets where SUZUKI is no longer operating. If they have planned to take a call on production after seeing initial success of this arrangement, I am afraid they might not be successful. MARUTI is no Fiat or Skoda that people like their products but are afraid of the company/ dealers. Offering higher standard warranty at a premium may not work either as you can always buy extended warranty from MARUTI and overall their products are reliable/ cheap to maintain.

Regarding the question of costs to Toyota for launch of this, it does take a lot of effort to create part numbers for spares and inventories besides the marketing and training Toyota dealership service guys on something which is not a Toyota, but more then anything else, it’s their Reputation at stakes if this is unsuccessful.

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th May 2019 at 10:39.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 11:39   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I mean this is Toyota. The second largest car maker in the world and this is what they could come up with?

I will rather purchase a Baleno from Nexa outlet. I was expecting Toyota to atleast plonk a hybrid petrol engine. As Toyota will have limited number of Glanza for sale, I believe the accessory stores will start stocking T-grill along with the 3D emblem of Glanza and sell them for a premium.

Does anyone know if the panel quality is better than the original ?
Old 8th May 2019, 13:48   #208
Senior - BHPian

Toyota could have at lease used the bumper from the previous generation model of Baleno to keep both these cars differentiated now! Let's wait for official launch for more details as to how different both the cars and their prices are.
Old 8th May 2019, 15:07   #209
Senior - BHPian

I think this JV & cross badging is only the first step of a bigger JV, and ultimately the absorption of Suzuki into Toyota. That way, Toyota can continue to sell T badged cars in the premium end, while MSIL takes care of the mass market end.
Old 8th May 2019, 15:32   #210
BHPian

These are proof of concepts - Toyota to sell / carry mass market (Baleno) cars in their showrooms and for Maruti to provide reach to premium products (Corolla). It is also POC for the two teams to work together. This is moving fast for Toyota to swallow Suzuki. Maruti will be another Daihatsu in their portfolio.

Current step is disappointing for consumers.

~m

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks