Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2019, 12:26   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh

I seriously have stopped understanding the logic of this tie-up from a Toyota perspective. Without mechanicals, they have little value addition to do. Toyota is practically acting as a broker in the overall picture.
2000rpm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 12:53   #257
BHPian

As weird as it sounds, I think this perhaps might help Toyota stay relevant in the Indian market. Even though their big cars are selling well, they do need some good performers in the lower segment. I wonder what's Maruti strategy, though.

One might also read this as Toyota's lack of commitment to the Indian market and for that I wish this experiment fails big time.
prakash_ajp is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 13:25   #258
Senior - BHPian

Imagine two tyre dealers talking on the phone

"Tere paas Michelin XM2 175/65 R14 ke 2 piece pade hai? Customer ko abhi chahiye. Shaam ko mera stock aate hi bhijwa doonga."

Translation: "Do you have 2 pieces of Michelin XM2 175/65 R14? Customer needs it now, will return in the evening when my stock comes."

On the same lines, Toyota dealer will call Nexa dealer "Buddy, do you a have red baleno zeta, customer is standing with money. Just change the badges and send it. I will send one back tomorrow morning when I get my cars from the factory. Remember, we sent you a silver baleno delta last week?"
mukeshgoel is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 13:36   #259
BHPian

This is such nonsense and I hate it. We as Indian consumers have to teach these arrogant Japanese companies a lesson. First of all, they bring sub-standard cars to us and then just rebadge the existing cars and present to gullible buyers. This sheep mentality of Indian market and lack of knowledge of Indian consumers is allowing these Japs to make a fool of us. All the Jap companies are doing this, starting with Suzuki with their tin can build, Nissan for rebadging Duster, Honda to bring sub standard models, to now Toyota for this.
Old 17th May 2019, 13:43   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Imagine two tyre dealers talking on the phone

"Tere paas Michelin XM2 175/65 R14 ke 2 piece pade hai? Customer ko abhi chahiye. Shaam ko mera stock aate hi bhijwa doonga."

Translation: "Do you have 2 pieces of Michelin XM2 175/65 R14? Customer needs it now, will return in the evening when my stock comes."

On the same lines, Toyota dealer will call Nexa dealer "Buddy, do you a have red baleno zeta, customer is standing with money. Just change the badges and send it. I will send one back tomorrow morning when I get my cars from the factory. Remember, we sent you a silver baleno delta last week?"
this is the most funny part. The other option is they could work in the way nehru place market works-parchaa system. Every dealer maintains a kacchi parchi which he tallies in the evening.

Alternatively, toyota and nexa dealers could have the same stockyard for cars and maruti could be supplying cars to that stockyard. While taking the car out from the stockyard, if maruti takes it out, they will put their badging and if toyota takes it, they will put theirs. How sick?
su1978 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 14:09   #261
Senior - BHPian

I see a 'win-win' on both sides a few years down the line as they're seeing the bigger picture. We are not. I believe they could be testing the waters to be potent and relevant even in the future. Suzuki is a behemoth in India and Toyota wants to tap in on that success. On the other hand, Toyota is ages ahead in Hybrids and battery technology, know-how etc so Suzuki taps into that. For all you know, there could be a merger on the cards. Another perspective is that none of the spaces these current car majors are occupying is sacrosanct. The rug can be whisked under their feet by 'rank outsiders to the game'. Regarding products, this signals the era of commoditization of the vehicle space. You get your car slapped with the logo of your choice!
Sebring is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 14:24   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Can Maruti dealers order cars from Toyota and change the grill, decals and logos in their backyard to reduce the waiting period? Toyota would be even happy to just assemble the cars and supply it to Maruti dealers in South India.
Toyota is not even making this car, nor is Maruti. This car is made at Suzuki's own Gujarat plant and sold to both Maruti and Toyota.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 15:47   #263
Senior - BHPian

Cars will be assembled at Toyota plant, this will be more like a distribution business for Toyota. As far as Suzuki brand, majority buyers recognise only Maruti.
Old 17th May 2019, 15:52   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Toyota is not even making this car, nor is Maruti. This car is made at Suzuki's own Gujarat plant and sold to both Maruti and Toyota.

Rahul

That is an interesting point of view. Are you saying Maruti Suzuki is just marketing entity and they are buying cars from Suzuki owned factories in India to sell ? I thought the arrangement was more in the likes of royalty for Suzuki R and D.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 16:15   #265
Senior - BHPian

Look at cars that are labeled "Maruti Suzuki" and only "Suzuki". The Maruti Suzuki branded ones are made in Gurgaon, Haryana. The Suzuki branded ones are made in Naviyani / Hansalpur plant in Gujarat. The new Swift and Baleno are made there, and sold to Maruti Suzuki.

What happens after Toyota and Suzuki merge worldwide? Will Indian operations be kept out of it? Situation today is that Maruti Suzuki (India) is bigger than just Suzuki (Japan) which is merging with Toyota. Other companies in the picture will be Aisin Seiko and Denso which have high shareholding.

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2019 at 08:42. Reason: Rephrased
Rahul Rao is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th May 2019, 16:27   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Look at cars that are labeled "Maruti Suzuki" and only "Suzuki". The Maruti Suzuki branded ones are made in Gurgaon, Haryana. The Suzuki branded ones are made in Naviyani / Hansalpur plant in Gujarat. The new Swift and Baleno are made there, and sold to Maruti Suzuki.
I am personally happy that this will bring work to Toyota plant in Bangalore, but Toyota cannot contribute anything in this rebadging exercise. At this point, it is just a part number creation and BOM replication work for Toyota.

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2019 at 08:42. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 17th May 2019, 17:11   #267
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Toyota Glanza to be launched on June 6, 2019

According to a media report, the launch of the Toyota Glanza has been scheduled for June 6, 2019.

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-glanza-launch.jpg

The Glanza is essentially a re-badged version of the Maruti Baleno. The latest teaser video reveals the car's twin-slat chrome grille. The headlamps and front bumper with its circular fog lamps have been carried over unchanged.

Spy images suggest that the rear of the car will also be similar to the Baleno. It gets a chrome tailgate garnish and the same dual-tone alloy wheels that are available on the Baleno.

The Glanza is expected to get a 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine from the Baleno. It produces 83 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 115 Nm of torque @ 4,000 rpm and is likely to be paired with a 5-speed manual gearbox with a CVT available as an option.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 17:25   #268
Senior - BHPian

I strongly feel Toyota will charge a 30K premium and play the warranty card. I believe Baleno comes with 2 year warranty where as I expect Glanza to have 3 year standard warranty. Also interesting would be to see the service cost.
Old 17th May 2019, 20:17   #269
BHPian

I'm still completely intrigued by what's going on. There's a fine line between genius and stupid - I wonder where this is going to land up!
avdhesh15 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 20:53   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I strongly feel Toyota will charge a 30K premium and play the warranty card. I believe Baleno comes with 2 year warranty where as I expect Glanza to have 3 year standard warranty. Also interesting would be to see the service cost.

Not so sure that Maruti offers just 2 years warranty on the Baleno. I thought 3 years was standard pretty much everywhere! And even if 3rd year warranty is not being offered by Maruti, one can easily buy additional year for less than 5-7k. So just an additional one year warranty may not be good enough for Toyota to charge 30k. They may have to do something else apart from this to command a premium.

May be plonk in the HU from the Yaris. That has some gimmicks like gesture control etc. That would be something that they can at least state in a news paper advertisement!
And this would have been relatively easy too. Just ship this HU to the Maruti plant where the Baleno is being made and it could have been easily installed.

Most Viewed