Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2019, 21:08   #271
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh

Toyota has to redesign the dashboard to change HU, they won't do it for 30K. They should have atleast launched a 1.5L petrol variant, but they are taking a risk with half hearted approach.
Old 18th May 2019, 13:51   #272
BHPian

So today I was opening Nexa's website.
This is what came on google

See the 2nd search result.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-screenshot_20190518132836.jpg  

Bhatia.D17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 14:12   #273
BHPian

One of my seniors narrated this story to me, he went to a popular clothe store which was famous for selling "Branded Jeans" at reasonable prices, he asked for a particular brand and the answer was "aa brand stickers inka raaledu anna" Translation: We haven't received stickers (Jacrons) of that brand yet! So they were buying unbranded Jeans from factories and slapping various brand Jacrons on them!

Imagine, someone going to Toyota Showroom for Glanza, and the SA tells them we haven't received the Toyota Badges and Grill yet!
tchsvy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 16:35   #274
BHPian

I believe Toyota is just testing out the Baleno, to learn its defects in quality. The deal between Toyota and Suzuki also enable Toyota to sell it in international markets. But no way can Toyota sell the Baleno in the current form outside India. There are many areas where Maruti has skimped on quality.

Toyota can sell the Baleno in India, where it is successful and then upgrade it to meet Toyota standards elsewhere. Toyota loses nothing in doing this. Infact more customers will enter the Toyota showrooms and the dealers can make more profit as well.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 17:07   #275
Senior - BHPian

Toyota quality isn't the same. I've seen the 'New Altis and Yaris' front bumper flex when winds are strong and car is at high speeds, in Dubai. Was zapped out of my wits seeing this.
Old 18th May 2019, 17:11   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Toyota quality isn't the same. I've seen the 'New Altis and Yaris' front bumper flex when winds are strong and car is at high speeds, in Dubai. Was zapped out of my wits seeing this.
Isn't that supposed to be part of pedestrian safety mechanism? A hard bumper will cause more damage on impact. No?
arunramaswamy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 17:14   #277
Senior - BHPian

First time I've see it flex like paper. Yes 'pedestrian safety and fuel economy', of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
Isn't that supposed to be part of pedestrian safety mechanism? A hard bumper will cause more damage on impact. No?
Old 19th May 2019, 01:24   #278
BHPian

Toyota has made safe cars in past.
The mediocre feeling build quality of Liva and Etios are safe and proven.
I have doubts for Baleno. When swift scores 2 stars, Baleno with similar pricing and more features would be using body of similar safety.

If Toyota chooses to copy paste the Baleno with slight premium pricing, I suspect safety standards would be met.
It will be interesting to see the kerb weight of Baleno and Glanza.

It will also be interesting to see the sales of Liva after Glanza.

IMHO, If it’s priced higher by good amount, the fate of this will be like Scala, Terrano and Pulse.
Still, Good Luck Toyota!

Last edited by procrastinator : 19th May 2019 at 01:25. Reason: Auto correct Typo
Old 19th May 2019, 08:55   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator View Post
I have doubts for Baleno. When swift scores 2 stars, Baleno with similar pricing and more features would be using body of similar safety.
Euro NCAP had awarded 4 stars to the Suzuki Baleno with safety pack.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/top-varia...rating-1397692
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 09:13   #280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator View Post
Toyota has made safe cars in past.
The mediocre feeling build quality of Liva and Etios are safe and proven.
What Swift and WagonR misses out, and NEXA cars like Baleno (along with Arena cars like Ciaz and Brezza) gains is Suzuki TECT body. As claimed by the brand - Suzuki's Total Effective Control Technology results in effective absorption and dispersion of crash energy, and this could very well improve the NCAP ratings.

So we can't really predict the Baleno's crash rating based on the earlier results from Swift. (Even though most of these cars are on the same platform).
Old 19th May 2019, 09:24   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What Swift and WagonR misses out, and NEXA cars like Baleno (along with Arena cars like Ciaz and Brezza) gains is Suzuki TECT body. As claimed by the brand - Suzuki's Total Effective Control Technology results in effective absorption and dispersion of crash energy, and this could very well improve the NCAP ratings.

So we can't really predict the Baleno's crash rating based on the earlier results from Swift. (Even though most of these cars are on the same platform).
Well, you could predict!

Let me quote the official team bhp review

Quote:
The Swift is based on the HEARTECT platform, which underpins the Baleno as well as the Dzire. With this lightweight platform, it weighs just 855 - 985 kg depending upon the variant. For the record, the older car weighed 965 - 1060 kg. That is quite a reduction! As expected, the low weight is reflected in the build of the car.
So, the TECT is part of HEARTECT and that resulted in a poor rating of 2 in Global NCAP result.

The below URL has Maruti proudly talking about cars on 'HeartAttack' platform

https://www.marutisuzuki.com/corpora...ology/heartect

Quote:
HEARTECT is a new generation platform designed for passenger protection; delivering enhanced collision safety, rigidity and Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) performance. It is achieved by using ultra high tensile steel and a smooth, continuous frame that uniformly disperses impact energy, thereby mitigating damage to the car and its occupants.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-heartect.jpg  

Last edited by searacer932 : 19th May 2019 at 09:32.
searacer932 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 09:27   #282
BHPian

Don’t want to go but when’s the Maruti Corolla coming. Just curious?
Nostalgic3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 10:06   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Euro NCAP had awarded 4 stars to the Suzuki Baleno with safety pack.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/top-varia...rating-1397692

No point in looking in EURO NCAP score for Baleno given that the Indian swift scored a paltry 2 stars in GNCAP. Baleno hasn't been tested in GNCAP but given that Swift and Baleno share the same platform and built I would be surprised if it scores any better!
Waspune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 10:30   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
No point in looking in EURO NCAP score for Baleno given that the Indian swift scored a paltry 2 stars in GNCAP. Baleno hasn't been tested in GNCAP but given that Swift and Baleno share the same platform and built I would be surprised if it scores any better!
Maruti Suzuki says that Nexa cars have Suzuki Tect body which isn't there on cars sold through Arena except Brezza. Brezza with Tect body scored 4/5 stars in GNCAP, so it's highly possible that Baleno might score at least one star more than Swift which also gets Heartec platform but misses out on Suzuki Tect. By the way, when is the crash test for Baleno scheduled? Any idea on that?
HarshGtR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 11:24   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGtR View Post
Maruti Suzuki says that Nexa cars have Suzuki Tect body which isn't there on cars sold through Arena except Brezza. Brezza with Tect body scored 4/5 stars in GNCAP, so it's highly possible that Baleno might score at least one star more than Swift which also gets Heartec platform but misses out on Suzuki Tect. By the way, when is the crash test for Baleno scheduled? Any idea on that?

To be honest I don't buy what Maruti says. Brezza is based on a totally a different and sturdier platform which was quite evident with its GNCAP score. Let's hope Baleno proves to be a safer bet when compared to Swift. No idea on when Baleno will be tested.

Another POV is this - Indian made i20 which is supposedly a better built car than a Baleno/Swift also scored a 3.

Most Viewed