Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2019, 15:13   #286
BHPian

re: Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh

I agree until crash tested predicting one option of safe or not is like a bet.
I hope it gets tested and results are good.

This segment competition is intense. Swift is already priced high especially when you compare with Baleno.
I anticipated better safety as it’s launched later than Baleno.
After crash test results, I was surprised.
It’s more to do with material science instead of platform here.

The only hope for its safety is export of Baleno. If they are building volumes of export spec and Indian Baleno at same plant with same material. However I will reserve my words due to lack of R&D on Indian and export model specifications. If someone has information on it, do share.
If someone wants me to do, let me know pls.

If Toyota gets export spec Baleno, it will boost my confidence on safety.
Let’s keep an eye on kerb weight of Baleno and Glanza

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What Swift and WagonR misses out, and NEXA cars like Baleno (along with Arena cars like Ciaz and Brezza) gains is Suzuki TECT body. As claimed by the brand - Suzuki's Total Effective Control Technology results in effective absorption and dispersion of crash energy, and this could very well improve the NCAP ratings.

So we can't really predict the Baleno's crash rating based on the earlier results from Swift. (Even though most of these cars are on the same platform).

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Well, you could predict!

Let me quote the official team bhp review

So, the TECT is part of HEARTECT and that resulted in a poor rating of 2 in Global NCAP result.

The below URL has Maruti proudly talking about cars on 'HeartAttack' platform

https://www.marutisuzuki.com/corpora...ology/heartect

Last edited by procrastinator : 19th May 2019 at 15:26.
Old 19th May 2019, 20:59   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator View Post
Toyota has made safe cars in past.
The mediocre feeling build quality of Liva and Etios are safe and proven.
I have doubts for Baleno. When swift scores 2 stars, Baleno with similar pricing and more features would be using body of similar safety.

If Toyota chooses to copy paste the Baleno with slight premium pricing, I suspect safety standards would be met.
It will be interesting to see the kerb weight of Baleno and Glanza.

It will also be interesting to see the sales of Liva after Glanza.

IMHO, If it’s priced higher by good amount, the fate of this will be like Scala, Terrano and Pulse.
Still, Good Luck Toyota!
I bought the Etios sedan after doing extensive test drives that included Baleno and S-Cross as well. A back to back test drive of Etios and Baleno will settle the issue, atleast for those who value function over feature.
Old 20th May 2019, 01:43   #288
BHPian

Off topic but the way I see it, TeamBHP review of Glanza has the following possibilities:

1. Reviewed - Toyota Glanza - Click here to be redirected to Suzuki Baleno review.
2. Our mods simply copy and paste the entire review of Baleno on Glanza's page. (Inspired by Glanza's copy and paste manufacturing)
3. Edit the existing review of Baleno by inserting a GIF that's keeps shuffling the logo between Suzuki and Toyota. (suit yourself)
4. Our reviewers decide to take an entire week off that could have been consumed to review Glanza, if it was worth the effort.

Dear Mods - Sorry for the OT but I couldn't resist.

Last edited by k.sumit : 20th May 2019 at 01:45.
k.sumit is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 09:31   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Another POV is this - Indian made i20 which is supposedly a better built car than a Baleno/Swift also scored a 3.
Actually, it was always known that the i20 is a compromised, built to a cost car. Hyundai & Maruti are both cut from the same cloth

This was discussed a fair bit before its launch:

https://www.motorbeam.com/australia-...t-safe-enough/
da_lowrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 10:29   #290
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you ask me for my frank opinion, the Glanza has damaged Toyota's reputation. Enthusiasts & industry players alike are laughing at them for the lame badge-swapping job. I'm talking about a serious amount of ridicule going on in the circles and for once, I agree with all the jokes.

Second, any customer expecting the "Toyota experience" from this new hatchback will be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I like the Baleno, but it doesn't stand for any of the great things that built Toyota. Yes, I know neither did the Liva & Etios, but at least the Liva / Etios got a fantastic 1.5L petrol which made them fun to drive (flat handling too), scored surprisingly well in the NCAP crash tests & didn't have an identical competitor in another brand's showroom.

This is one of the many stupid moves made by Toyota India. The company has a track record of silly decisions.

Of course, we shouldn't miss the big picture. Toyota is only flirting with Suzuki, which it eventually wants to marry & take home . The Glanza is the equivalent of all the stupid things we have done to impress our girlfriends in college.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd May 2019 at 09:26. Reason: as per rp
GTO is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 15:50   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you ask me for my frank opinion, the Glanza has damaged Toyota's reputation. Enthusiasts & industry players alike are laughing at them for the lame badge-swapping job. I'm talking about a serious amount of ridicule going on in the circles and for once, I agree with all the jokes.

Second, any customer expecting the "Toyota experience" from this new hatchback will be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I like the Baleno, but it doesn't stand for any of the great things that built Toyota. Yes, I know neither did the Liva & Etios, but at least the Liva / Etios got a fantastic 1.5L petrol which made them fun to drive (flat handling too), scored surprisingly well in the NCAP crash tests & didn't have an identical competitor in another brand's showroom.

This is one of the many stupid moves made by Toyota India. The company has a track record of silly decisions.

Of course, we shouldn't miss the big picture. Toyota is only flirting with Suzuki, which it eventually wants to marry & take home . The Glanza is the equivalent of all the stupid things we're done to impress our girlfriends in college.
This is hilarious & true.

the cross dressing (badge-ing) is done outright cheap. Did someone notice the front grill? It is actually the grill of base Baleno models with the chrome & new logo.

Going by your words, the girlfriend threw her old jeans & the boyfriend all new distressed jeans for himself with a new waist belt .

Sorry for off topic post, but this is to emphasise your point that Glanza (eeks!) is lame & stupid move by the behemoth which is least interested working hard in India, when it could have easily helped them edge past current sales leaders at the world level.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 09:37   #292
BHPian

If Toyota decides to charge a hefty premium then it must be commensurate with structural or other improvements.

On the other hand, they came up with Yaris with 5 star safety kit at all levels, a segment first and customers still chose Honda and Maruti.
So what’s their incentive to beef up the Baleno?

pricing killed the Yaris , so it’s anyone’s guess how the pricing will be for Glanza. And what will be the NEXA dealers reaction if Toyota starts offering large discounts on Glanza ?
Old 21st May 2019, 16:40   #293
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Glanza spotted in the flesh.

Height of LAZINESS !!
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-60647605_10157628215124095_5930741384939044864_o.jpg  

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-60872165_10157628215074095_1196644671112085504_o.jpg  

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-60941237_10157628215549095_7462607484704784384_o.jpg  

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-60960530_10157628215114095_1543894709728968704_o.jpg  

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-61043723_10157628215329095_3620809343521259520_o.jpg  

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-61126523_10157628215304095_7674915775504711680_o.jpg  

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 21st May 2019 at 16:41.
RM Motorsports is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 16:57   #294
Senior - BHPian

with Hyundai coming out with attractive prices for Venue, B+ hatches are surely going to hit, more so this 'new' entrant. If Toyota prices Glanza at premium over Baleno, it'll fall in the category of C-SUVs.
Old 22nd May 2019, 12:43   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic3r View Post
Don’t want to go but when’s the Maruti Corolla coming. Just curious?

Who cares and now after the Glanza/Baleno case study, best is buy a corolla and swap the badge to a Suzuki logo as that's what one will get in the NEXA showroom once it does come out.
sajands is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 12:46   #296
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki is lucky, in that they get a Corolla - which has been the benchmark for quality across the world for decades. It will have a positive rub off on their image. They could also be angling for the Prado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Who cares and now after the Glanza/Baleno case study, best is buy a Corolla and swap the badge to a Suzuki logo as that's what one will get in the NEXA showroom once it does come out.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th May 2019 at 11:23. Reason: Quoted text edited
Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 14:33   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Toyota Glanza spotted in the flesh.

Height of LAZINESS !!
I spot this car at-least 25 times in a day, after all Maruti has sold over 500,000 of these
tarik.arora is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 01:24   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Got these as a whatsapp forward:

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-3.jpg

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-2.jpg

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-1.jpg

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-7.jpg

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-6.jpg

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-5.jpg

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-4.jpg

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-8..jpg

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-10.jpg

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-9.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 07:53   #299
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Who cares and now after the Glanza/Baleno case study, best is buy a corolla and swap the badge to a Suzuki logo as that's what one will get in the NEXA showroom once it does come out.
If Glanza is the epitome of laziness, then changing the Toyota badge on a Corolla with a Suzuki badge would be the epitome of stupidness. So you should not say such heart breaking sarcasms, it hurts
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 09:09   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
If Glanza is the epitome of laziness, then changing the Toyota badge on a Corolla with a Suzuki badge would be the epitome of stupidness. So you should not say such heart breaking sarcasms, it hurts
Manufacturers like Geo and Chevrolet have snapped their badges on Corolla in the 90's and sold them as Chevrolet Prizim or Geo Prizim in North America.
fx45 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed