Team-BHP - Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/208714-toyota-glanza-rebadged-maruti-baleno-edit-launched-rs-7-22-lakh-24.html)

By normal Toyota nomenclature, "G" is the lower variant and "V" is the higher variant. Looks like the person who wrote this messed up or am I missing something?

Quote:

Originally Posted by self_driven (Post 4597442)
Sorry for OT, but third gen City came with a torque converter and not CVT. Perhaps that was the reason you found it to be good. :)

I had the Honda city that came with paddle shifters for the first time in India. I am pretty sure that was a 5 step cvt. I bought it when it was a fresh launch (as far as I remember) and i as far as I remember, that was retained till the city before this current one, I.e., the one without led headlamps but with the 7 step cvt along with stuff like automatic climate control, etc. the city that came with the torque converter, as far as I know, was the one before the 2009 model, which didn’t come with paddle shifters. The major design overhaul was in 2009, with the extremely low, yet sexy looking design language. I hope I am not wrong here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bled_soul (Post 4597522)
I hope I am not wrong here.

I know you are talking about the third gen City that came with arrowshot design, paddle shifters and E, S, V variant names. Quoting some lines from the fourth gen City official review:

Quote:

Unlike the 3rd-gen City which had a conventional 5-speed Automatic, the CVT makes a return to the 4th-gen car. We'd earlier seen it on the 2nd-gen City...

Toyota Glanza shows 2302 units as dispatched from Suzuki In May.

Just got this from our local Toyota dealer.
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-glanza-invite.jpg
My guess is:If my guess is true then this will be one weird and confusing car launch :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debajyoti (Post 4597790)
Just got this from our local Toyota dealer.
My guess is:
  • Glanza G manual = Baleno Zeta 90hp Dual jet smart hybrid will be 7.99 lakh
  • G CVT = Zeta non smart hybrid 83hp K12B with CVT 8.49 lakh
  • V manual = Alpha non smart hybrid 83hp K12B 7.79 lakh (this may sound weird but this is correct as mentioned in the previous leak as there is no smart hybrid Baleno Alpha variant)
  • V CVT = Alpha non smart hybrid 83hp K12B with CVT 8.99 lakh
    All prices ex showroom Delhi
If my guess is true then this will be one weird and confusing car launch :confused:

Seems like the prices aren't too far from the Maruti Baleno.
That was the only change that was expected apart from the badges IMO.

There is one thing about this launch that I am excited about though - What the Sales team are going to pitch to the customers!

Even though the average Indian customer isn't aware of the technical aspects of most cars, they aren't foolish enough to not understand that this is basically the Maruti car. At least I hope this is the case:).

So, if someone is in the market for a Baleno, what will one choose?
I guess, the only factors will be price and proximity of the service center :)

I would choose Suzuki as service stations are everywhere. Why pay premium for badge? It's not like we get PORSCHE badging there!

Toyota Glanza ready for launch. Stocks arrive at dealerships.

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-1.jpg

Having a total of 2,666 units, Glanza will be available for dispatch to customers in coming weeks.

Link

Toyota Glanza will come with a 3-year/1,00,000km warranty as standard, like what’s offered on other Toyota models in India. The Baleno, in comparison, comes with a standard 2-year/40,000km warranty.

Apparently, this is the key differentiating factor between the two. :confused:

Article : Glanza vs Baleno - Compared

If everyone is over with their quota of criticism and sarcasm, let me ask one question. Prices being in the same bracket (a few thousand here and there would not make a difference), what is stopping me from buying this over the Baleno? Better warranty and same built, features, after sales service (may be even better) and same resale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 4599566)
If everyone is over with their quota of criticism and sarcasm, let me ask one question. Prices being in the same bracket (a few thousand here and there would not make a difference), what is stopping me from buying this over the Baleno? Better warranty and same built, features, after sales service (may be even better) and same resale.

God forbid, if I ever have to choose between Baleno & Glanza (can't stop the sarcasm!), it will really boil down to convenience of getting it serviced.
MS: 3 service centers in the perimeter of 5 kms where I live.
Toyota: The only one is 12 kms away.
So, will settle for the Baleno.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 4599566)

Honestly, it all boils down to the price difference. Combine this with whatever discounts you can squeeze with your local Nexa dealer and then compare the two with other factor such as warranty/extended warranty coverage. I am not comparing service center distance because its just once an year affair and Maruti as well as Toyota are known for their good quality servicing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrsteer (Post 4599571)
God forbid, if I ever have to choose between Baleno & Glanza (can't stop the sarcasm!), it will really boil down to convenience of getting it serviced

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherlocked (Post 4599583)
Honestly, it all boils down to the price difference. I am not comparing service center distance because its just once an year affair and Maruti as well as Toyota are known for their good quality servicing.

Exactly my point. I doubt if a customer would shy away from the Glanza only because Toyota did a copy-paste job on it. It only boils down to the pricing and convenience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 4599616)
Exactly my point. I doubt if a customer would shy away from the Glanza only because Toyota did a copy-paste job on it. It only boils down to the pricing and convenience.

In fact the copy paste job is also done by MSIL, not Toyota in real world. The car is made on Maruti's assembly line. Even the Toyota logo is being glued on the maruti assembly line.

This is one really weird scenario & I can't comprehend it. Maruti of course is not losing anything since they are "selling" the numbers regardless of whether to a NEXA customer or to TOYOTA as a bulk customer.

There are 2 scenarios where such rebadging is practically correct -
1. Platform Sharing but different cars - like the VW Group cars, RENAULT-NISSAN siblings where each marque makes differences visibly in the car while using the same parts bin & platform to have a different visual identity other than just brand logo.

2. Logo Swap in different geographic location
to sell a car in a DIFFERENT market than the original car. Countless examples of this sharing amongst most leading car brands.

But a car maker selling the SAME car, with no change in the same country as that of the original manufacturer and competing with the same car with a different logo - makes absolutely no sense to me. I understand that TOYOTA has no say in the hatchback segment right now (Etios Liva? what is that sorry?) & wants to have a foothold. But then this is really a childish way to achieve that.

And just for the added warranty, I'll not buy the Glanza which is sure to have a higher pricing compared to Baleno. (Maruti won't give Toyota a loaded gun aimed at itself!)
I'd rather give the due credit for a good car directly to those who made it - Suzuki, and not to someone who borrowed it for sales.