Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2019, 18:31   #31
BHPian

re: Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Toyota Glanza, has toyota run out of names?? I don't want to bet on what the Ciaz will be renamed into. Wonder who was the think tank behind this name and said thats an selling name we got
Seriously what an awful name..reminds one of the male reproductive organ (google the full name). And here I believed (ex)Creta was a bad name but Toyota has outdone Hyundai!!
docprashant is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 18:54   #32
BHPian

bad name! very bad name! would a urologist service it at his clinic?

Last edited by lemedico : 23rd April 2019 at 18:54. Reason: added punctuation
lemedico is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 00:49   #33
BHPian

Going by history, I wonder if it would sell in volume. The intent is unclear from Toyota as a product. They have Etios/Liva since ages. They could be replaced by other great products like Yaris hatchback

As far as name goes, it will just exist like other cars and weird car designs have existed. My guess is ten years down the line, this thread will rather gain dust and this car will be antique.

My hope is Toyota will grow from partnership and Suzuki too. Toyota will know how to do business, here in India with other products.

Last edited by ampere : 24th April 2019 at 06:43. Reason: formatted
Old 24th April 2019, 05:18   #34
BHPian

Keeping the name aside, I would buy this if it comes with 7 Airbags like Yaris. I love the design of Baleno and with the 1.2l K series engine, this will be a peppy hatch to drive around the town as well in highways.
Old 24th April 2019, 07:13   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota's Hatch will be priced premium to Baleno and will come in higher trim levels only.

To differentiate in the offerings Toyota is likely to offer 3 year/1,00,000km warranty on the Toyota Glanza.
( Maruti Suzuki Baleno, for reference, comes with a standard 2-year/40,000km warranty)

Quote:
Toyota is also likely to offer extended warranty plans with the A11 premium hatchback, including Toyota’s five-year True warranty package that can be opted within the period of standard manufacturing warranty, and the seven-year Toyota Timeless Warranty package, which can be purchased after the standard warranty is over

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th April 2019 at 07:15.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 08:24   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Errr, this is a "Laura" situation, has anyone dared googling what Glans is? That was the first thing I did when I heard the name!
Nope. Don't ever do that again. Sometimes, a search on internet about unknown medical terms might give you sleepless nights and nightmares; speaking from experience.
Toyota is not even going to cut the panels to bring some new design elements, it might just make half the interiors beige colored and might as well put leather seats, as well as the steering wheel from Etios siblings.
And voila, your new car might just be designated as 'wacky-mod-job' on a Baleno from layman POV.
Since the ruggedness and build quality is out of the question, until Toyota provides some seriously great and some segment first features in the Glanza, it's going to be a hard sell. Give us powered driver seat, 6 airbags, paddle shifters, Toyota's CVT and a higher tuned engine and this might even bite into the sales of City, Verna and Ciaz. Oh, and if there comes a sunroof,the Glanza will become one among the rare species of hatchbacks which have a sunroof; but the nearest one is a Mini or A-Class. The Glanza might as well skyrocket in sales, turning out to be a beneficial thing instead of a major take-over drill from Toyota.
The 'organ'ically derived name also resembles something else, which north people know by the name... err never-mind. It might just repel some people from buying the car because it's named after a hallucinogenic.

Guy 1: Hey bro, heard you bought a new car, which one?
Guy 2: Yeah. I bought Glanza.
Guy 1: See you later.
Old 24th April 2019, 10:26   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
But why? Why should I buy a re-badged Glanza when I can buy the original Baleno? Unless there is a major upheaval in terms of build quality and structure, there is no point in getting a Glanza.

And in case there is a change, then what is the point of Baleno at all? Why buy an inferior Baleno?
Suzuki's USP is extensive network and ASS, but if a better car is available from Toyota with Suzuki's service, I'd go with Toyota.
The challenge with Suzuki cars is that their drive-ability and behavior is derived in large part from the lightness of the cars & power to weight ratio in spite of small engines. A Polo feels significantly more sprightly in the GT guise but the stock Polo just isn't as much fun as the swift or the Baleno.

I would expect Toyota to improve on the car significantly. Build quality expectations would be right up there with Yaris. And then there would be an expectation of Toyota CVT, safety kit etc. All this adds significant weight. A traditional Suzuki engine would feel ordinary in a much heavier set up. And return less mileage on the dollar. Suspension would also have to be re-tuned significantly.

Just not sure what Toyota's strategy is here, other than the badge. They can't bank upon reliability of Toyota. Suzuki is making the darn cars (for now at least). And there are safer, better built, sportier options available. i20 (no fuss ownership and a reasonably built vehicle) and Polo GT Tsi (if only VWs made for an easier ownership experience) would still be my choice in the segment in that order.
Annibaddh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 11:08   #38
BHPian

Looks dated even before the launch. One more hatchback entry in already crowded 1.2 ltr petrol market. The only interesting thing for me, would be after sale service from Toyota and the warrenty.
Swap_Abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 12:25   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
...... hence Toyota must target the safety & build quality aspects. May be slightly tinker with the looks too; though Toyota India is not known to design jaw dropping cars. This way they can charge and justify the premium pricing......
Toyota is known for jaw droppingly weird front designs (Lexus, Yaris, Innova etc). Hope they don't continue the trend with "Glanza". Need to keep it within 10l OTR for any reasonable chance of success.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 26th April 2019 at 09:08. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 24th April 2019, 12:52   #40
BHPian

What benefit will Toyota gain from Glanza, Maruti will now have to hold more SKUs of the marginally modified parts (grills, seats, dash etc.). Consumers will not walk into a Toyota showroom in droves to look at a Glanza when the exact same vehicle is a success and has a proven track record in Maruti.

How will they advertise the Glanza against Baleno?
silvercloud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 13:00   #41
BHPian

Does anyone have an example of badge engineering actually working well (Rapid/Vento to an extent, I guess)? Using the same platform is different. If you look at the two cars and say "Oh! Come on!", thats badge engineering.

Badge engineering was big in the US during the 80s and 90s with Ford, GM and Chrysler. Check out the sixth generation Oldsmobile Cutlass and the fifth generation Chevrolet Malibu to see what I mean. I don't remember this strategy actually working out at all. It makes sense if the car is visually different, but 80% of the parts and underpinnings are the same.

Perhaps one way of looking at it would be... If I could sell 1,000 more Balenos if I call it a Toyota without eating into my Baleno pie, why the hell not?
kovilkalai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 13:30   #42
BHPian

I think the target demographic segment is not India but other countries. Launching in India is just a first step to start exporting in Toyota's name in countries where Suzuki is not popular.
vennarbank is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 13:41   #43
Senior - BHPian

The name will be a hit with the Top Gear/Grand Tour trio for sure with their incessant reference to a certain human anatomy . Jokes aside I wonder what more Toyota can do for an already successful automobile (except ruin it with weird names) unless they plan to add more airbags, cruise control etc.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 15:21   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
....I wonder what more Toyota can do for an already successful automobile (except ruin it with weird names) unless they plan to add more airbags, cruise control etc.
A lot actually. If only the numbers are to go by, anything with a Suzuki badge is a success in India. But are they better built? Toyota can provide you that choice. The biggest USP for Suzuki is the ASS. You will most likely get the same benefit with this Toyota version, at least after warranty expires. Besides, Toyota is perceived as a better brand than Suzuki, I am sure even those who complain about `Suzuki tin cans' will have a rethink. Better build, better brand, convenience of wide ASS, all that `IF' Toyota goes beyond just mere badge engineering.

Ps.: Agree, they could've thought of a better name.
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 16:21   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

I personally think too much is being made about the name. When I read this thread name the first time, I didn't even connect the two; and me being from the medical background and with a twisted mind
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks