Team-BHP - Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/208714-toyota-glanza-rebadged-maruti-baleno-edit-launched-rs-7-22-lakh-31.html)

Atleast the ads are good for Toyota. The recent one with kid on swirling shopping cart though reminds you of 'zoom zoom' from Mazda.

Existing Toyota owners of Innova and up might be buying this if they need a hatch. Dont know why common man would buy this against Maruti.

Some very reliable sources tell me that the Baleno was picked up by Toyota after many internal tests and that they found the Platform and drivetrain competent enough to earn a Toyota badge.

With this, I'm eagerly awaiting for a crash test report of the Made in India Baleno. Hope it surprises us just like the Etios twins did with their flimsy feeling panels but a 4 star rating. :thumbs up

Regards,
Shashi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4604331)
Some very reliable sources tell me that the Baleno was picked up by Toyota after many internal tests and that they found the Platform and drivetrain competent enough to earn a Toyota badge.

With this, I'm eagerly awaiting for a crash test report of the Made in India Baleno. Hope it surprises us just like the Etios twins did with their flimsy feeling panels but a 4 star rating. :thumbs up

Regards,
Shashi

Competent enough for Toyota India perhaps? :)

It must be true though. The internal tests proved so much that they decided to only change the badge. It's so good after all that they didn't need to do anything else.lol:

Toyota Glanza commands a waiting due to unprecedented demand for CVT variants.

- Sees over 1 month waiting period.

- G MT variant of the Maruti Baleno-based Toyota premium hatchback is in highest demand

- V CVT demand higher than V MT.

- Waiting periods for the top-spec automatic variant are about two months

Link

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4604355)

Haha...it sure must hurt! While vaunted brands are struggling to maintain single digit market share and single model product lines, here is Maruti, having built the third largest car brand in India (Nexa) now potentially looking at it's top seller increasing the sales of a rival!!

And I don't see why not. As an enthusiast perhaps the few good things that are good are the excellent K12 engine which still after 12 years delivers the best experience in it's class, and the design. However if I were to look at it without the fun to drive glasses as perhaps 90% of the car buying public is looking at it, it gives the average middle class Joe the capability to buy a spacious premium hatch for around 9 lakhs. It's terrific value for money. The Toyota badge is just another icing on that cake. Whether it would cannabalise the Suzuki Baleno remains to be seen.

We also need to remember that when they first launched in the US, Toyota had to contend with the sobriquet "tin-cans" themselves.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4604355)

Looks more like an advertisement to me. Yes, there is a spike in footfalls at Toyota dealerships for sure (I recently went to one and saw many people staring at the Glanza). I inquisitively asked a sales officer about the response to the product and he told that apart from genuine enquiries, a lot of visitors are existing baleno owners who have come just to check if they missed out on something major! lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accelerati (Post 4604671)
I inquisitively asked a sales officer about the response to the product and he told that apart from genuine enquiries, a lot of visitors are existing baleno owners who have come just to check if they missed out on something major! lol:

That is quite a honest admission by the sales person. As Shibu mentioned the average Joe will be interested in the Glanza because it's a Toyota and the T badge definitely has more weight as a premium brand, and service satisfaction.

I was just going through the thread and found that the 90ps engine is available in the lower variant whole the top end gets the normal Baleno engine.

I don't understand the logic here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaiSW (Post 4604829)
I was just going through the thread and found that the 90ps engine is available in the lower variant whole the top end gets the normal Baleno engine.

I don't understand the logic here.

Basically there is only one engine option, and that is the 83PS engine. The base model gets the additional hybrid power, which bumps the final power to 90PS.

Are there any sheet metal related changes? Or info if Toyota is rebadging the export model version (is there such a version)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accelerati (Post 4604940)
Basically there is only one engine option, and that is the 83PS engine. The base model gets the additional hybrid power, which bumps the final power to 90PS.

There are two engines. The dual jet that was recently introduced in the Baleno and the normal VVT which is doing duty for ages now.

The dual jet is only available in the G variant.

The 90PS tune is almost the same engine block wise, but has numerous differences in the head side. For starters, it has Dual VVT(intake and exhaust side, K12M has only on intake), Dual Injectors per cylinder, so it has total of 8 injectors compared to 4 of the 83PS tune engine. I have also been told that the 90PS engine gets Hydraulic Lash Adjusters(HLA) compared to the simple tappets in the 83PS tune.

Even in the block side, there has been some optimisation of components like Pistons and crank bearings.

Regards,
Shashi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4604962)
The 90PS tune is almost the same engine block wise, but has numerous differences in the head side.

Thank you, but why? I don't get the logic. It's like Hyundai offering 1.0 turbo petrol for absolute bare-bones variants and the rather average i20 petrol engine for the top end variants

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaiSW (Post 4605056)
Thank you, but why? I don't get the logic. It's like Hyundai offering 1.0 turbo petrol for absolute bare-bones variants and the rather average i20 petrol engine for the top end variants

The only reasons I can think of are pricing and availability of CVT. Going by the similarity between the Baleno and Glanza, we can safely conclude that Toyota had no control over model configuration. Hence it had to only pick up what was on offer. Since Maruti doesnt offer a combo of dual jet and CVT, they had no other option but to settle for the K12 in its regular form. Also, the dual jet smart hybrid commands a hefty premium over the non Dualjet version. If they wanted a V CVT dual jet, the price difference between the G and V would have been quite high if at all Toyota had the power to configure variants. But looks like Maruti keeps its variants on the table and Toyota can only pick them wity no changes except the branding.

I happened to visit a Toyota dealership near my place and sure enough, the place was full of Glanzas in all shades for display. They did not have the Dualjet for test drive though( which is why I went). The SA told me that I was the first one to come asking for the Dualjet variant. The car looked nice with Toyota logo and grill and according to the SA, it is available for immediate delivery. He also told me that the prices will stay put for 3 months and will increase thereafter.