Team-BHP - Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/208714-toyota-glanza-rebadged-maruti-baleno-edit-launched-rs-7-22-lakh-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by docprashant (Post 4579175)
Seriously what an awful name..reminds one of the male reproductive organ (google the full name). And here I believed (ex)Creta was a bad name but Toyota has outdone Hyundai!!

Dont agree. No one can surpass SKODA India when it comes to Bad/Awful/Ridiculous/Hilariously Funny Name.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 4578952)
Errr, this is a "Laura" situation, has anyone dared googling what Glans is?

That was the first thing I did when I heard the name!

Just did some research. Toyota has renamed the car after the fifth gen Toyota Startlet Glanza V that was found in Japan back in 1998. "Glanza" was the sports variant for the Japanese just like "Carat" was the luxurious variant.

The more potent Glanza V was powered by the 4E-FTE engine which was a 1.3 Turbo producing 133 hp @ 6400 rpm and 157 Nm at 4800 rpm. Had great mod potential like the old Honda Civics. Pretty sweet I tell you. But from what we are going to be getting here, looks more like a name copy paste job rather than a true blood off spring to the beast. Attaching pictures of the Original Glanza Below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vennarbank (Post 4579516)
I think the target demographic segment is not India but other countries. Launching in India is just a first step to start exporting in Toyota's name in countries where Suzuki is not popular.

This is where it makes sense for Toyota, especially other growth markets.

This is absolute laziness and cockiness if I dare say.
Are they really taking Indian car buyers for idiots?
That said, what Toyota is trying to achieve here is
In The short term,
1) Show sharelholders something is happening. It's an easy way to "show" GROWTH without significant investment.
2) If they are going going to use those old corrolla headlights for the front, get rid of old inventory or eeke out more juice from those old machines
3) "Claim" more marketshare and in the end
And in the long term - absorb suzuki become Susuki's premium tier.

Toyota Suzuki Nissan Mitsubishi Isuzu Honda Subaru Mazda Daihatshu they are all one and the same.

The word is Karitshru

Toyota may own 30 % shares in Suzuku who own 40 % of Mitsubishi bank where 25 % shares are owned by Toyota corporation where Denso is a 10 % shareholder where Nissan owns 24 % shares. DO you understand ? Its one family of Japanese industry. A global united front.
Relaunching each others products has always been there. Many Denso parts not sold in Toyota packaging but Denso or Nippon packaging have Toyota Nissan and Mitsubishi part numbers on them.
For that matter in a reciprocal arrangement Toyota Corolla Altis will be sold as Suzuki in NEXA showrooms. Currently Suzuki does not manufacture anything bigger than Ciaz on their production facilities.

The press release says Ertiga and Ciaz are going to be re-badged for India. Baleno's pseudo-phallic cousin is targeted for African markets. So I guess Baleno will have its number unaffected.
Brezza seems to be the next re-badging target in 2020.

Quote:

Originally Posted by payeng (Post 4579639)
Dont agree. No one can surpass SKODA India when it comes to Bad/Awful/Ridiculous/Hilariously Funny Name.

Lol. Any speaker of Malayalam will die laughing if told that "Turan" is coming.
Any body remember that ad by Subaru, with a truck loaded with a particular model of cars? The cars were upside down on the truck. They were rebadged Suzuki's Esteems.

Toyota needs to understand that people pay for Innova and Fortuner not just due to bedge but these models have created a lasting impression and actually there are genuine reasons also. Otherwise Yaris did not have got such response.

If Glanza is launched at a higher price than the Baleno then I can't see why anyone will pay a premium and go for Toyota 'Baleno' instead of Maruti Suzuki Baleno.
Agreed, Toyota has remarkable after sales service but it isn't that Maruti is any particularly bad at it. In fact, given the number of volumes they handle, the ratio of dissatisfied customers isn't that high.

Plus, I have a doubt that Glanza will definitely have some quirky elements look wise as compared to Baleno which still looks classy!

Toyota needs to offer something different. More features, perhaps, or body panels which doesn't flex like a Pepsi can (wishful thinking I know).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 4578952)
Errr, this is a "Laura" situation, has anyone dared googling what Glans is?

Instinctively shuddered last week at a Noida hotel portico when a jolly Sardar asked the hotel valet (in chaste Punjabi) to "get his Laura out" :D.

A Bangalorean can never replicate the earthy intonation that a Sardar can, when saying this thoughtfully chosen name.

I for one find this practice of rebadging cars and then selling absolutely ridiculous. Why can't the manufacturers make their own cars? The sooner this stops, the better.

I don't get this re-badging thing.
If Toyota works on to improve the weak points of Baleno like- build quality etc, makes the car more feature rich and re-launches the car with competitive pricing, then it's ok. Simply by tweaking and launching a re-badge car, simply doesn't makes any sense.
Anticipating that, Toyota's model will be priced higher than its Suzuki's counterpart and also the fact that Suzuki's service network is way higher than Toyota. I don't think this is a good move by Toyota.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starfire (Post 4579647)
Just did some research. Toyota has renamed the car after the fifth gen Toyota Starlet Glanza V that was found in Japan back in 1998. "Glanza" was the sports variant for the Japanese just like "Carat" was the luxurious variant.

The more potent Glanza V was powered by the 4E-FTE engine which was a 1.3 Turbo producing 133 hp @ 6400 rpm and 157 Nm at 4800 rpm. Had great mod potential like the old Honda Civics. Pretty sweet I tell you. But from what we are going to be getting here, looks more like a name copy paste job rather than a true blood off spring to the beast. Attaching pictures of the Original Glanza Below.

Yes the GLanza isn't all new name. It's been around for a while and Toyota is just reviving the name which was once used with the Starlet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Starlet#Glanza

That said, Starlet or even Vitz would have been a better name than Glanza.

Toyota Glanza teaser,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv3fbqZtXrA

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4580447)
Toyota Glanza teaser,

What an odd advertisement from Toyota. 4 vertically challenged people jump into the boot. 2 are then shown in the back seat. And one person to drive it away and one to sit in front as the passenger. So it fits 8 people? Well we know it doesnt but what a puzzling TVC nonetheless!