Team-BHP - Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/208714-toyota-glanza-rebadged-maruti-baleno-edit-launched-rs-7-22-lakh-5.html)

What, Toyota did not even bother to change the Alloy wheels? If this is just a badge replacement, Maruti should consider selling T badge as an accessory.
I read somewhere that Glanza will only be for export markets, but from the Ad it appears that Toyota will sell this in India.

What stands out from the TVC is that Toyota has made no visual differentiation from Suzuki's version at least at the back. The chrome strip, spoiler, tail lights, everything is exactly the same. Even the alloys are exactly the same except the hub caps.

Why pay more for this?

Renault and Nissan at least made some changes while badge engineering their cars.

At least add a body kit Toyota!

This in a way, is going to be very beneficial for Maruti. I am sure a lot of people who will buy this car from Toyota will go to Maruti for the spares due to the easy accessibility of Maruti service centers :D

The first teaser trailer is out and looks like the Baleno was photocopied.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEiJKqVixPg

I don't know why Toyota wants to sell this in India, they should learn from the Nissan-Renault alliance, badge engineering does NOT work in India.

I'm pretty sure this is going to dent Toyota's reputation as folks will now start to second guess whether the Toyota they're buying is indeed a real Toyota or a Suzuki in Toyota clothing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhiwakar92 (Post 4580556)

I don't know why Toyota wants to sell this in India, they should learn from the Nissan-Renault alliance, badge engineering does NOT work in India.

In simple terms, Toyota has no other means of achieving CAFC. They have Petrol hatchbacks and sedans which don't sell much, Its only Diesel powered Innova & Fortuner which sells like hot cakes.

The other reason, Toyota is experimenting with Cheaper built models (Tin Can strength) to introduce similar models in Future in India.

Lastly, as part of the larger strategy - Position Toyota as a Premium Car Manufacturer (Lexus is not working as intended) and Suzuki (which they plan to take over soon) as a cost sensitive brand (Remember they trashed plans to introduce Daihatsu in India)

Toyota Glanza,

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-g1.jpg

And rendered,

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-gla.jpg

The only way this is going to work is the Baleno having waiting period so high that a buyer will get it from a Toyota showroom instead, or some big shot buying a Camry says on his way out 'Hmm, I will need a small car for city. Captain, add a Glanza too'

From the teaser, it appears Toyota has done nothing to differentiate it from the Baleno, I wonder how they are going to price it higher than Maruti and expect foot-falls in Toyota showroom.

On a side note, the controversial Baleno to Mercedes conversion in Kerala was more interesting than this. stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrideRed (Post 4580467)
What, Toyota did not even bother to change the Alloy wheels? .

It will be interesting to see what Toyota offers in its variants.
New Baleno is loaded to the gills in Alpha and Zeta variants.

I hope they get some differentiating features in Glanza, like rear armrest, rear ac vents ( not required actually ), different steering wheel and importantly a different alloy wheel design.

Will be sad if they sell in same Colours as Baleno.

Toyota offers cheaper and better after sales experience than Maruti. Also being a Toyota, I expect the car not to skimp the safety features which Maruti ignores. If its priced around the same levels, it will be a huge success for Toyota.
I never believed in Maruti's safety ratings and hence always ignored the Baleno, even thought the Baleno CVT was on top of my list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4580630)
Toyota Glanza,

Attachment 1871525

And rendered,

Attachment 1871539

If this Indonesian render is the real thing, then the Glanza will be a much better looker than the Baleno, which itself is a handsome and well proportioned car.

Plus Toyota may launch it with 6 airbags as standard, and thereby justify a premium.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhiwakar92 (Post 4580556)
The first teaser trailer is out and looks like the Baleno was photocopied.

The tail-lamps of the car in the teaser looks like the ones on the lower variants (below alpha). Does this by any chance imply Toyota is not going to sell the car in fully loaded guise?

This whole Toyota-Suzuki exercise reminds me of a recent ad. A customer sitting in a posh hotel orders an exotic dish only for the waiter to run to the back street and get a samosa-chutney from a road side vendor lol: . No offense to Maruti owners, it's just an analogy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by octane_100 (Post 4580736)
This whole Toyota-Suzuki exercise reminds me of a recent ad. A customer sitting in a posh hotel orders an exotic dish only for the waiter to run to the back street and get a samosa-chutney from a road side vendor lol: . No offense to Maruti owners, it's just an analogy.

I think you are referring to this ad lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r96L8-C4JjE

More info. on the Toyota hatch,

- Toyota Glanza will be available in 2 Variants - V and G, both in MT and CVT.

- V is the equivalent to Alfa trim available in Maruti's Baleno, while the G is the Zeta trim.

- Toyota estimates an equal split in sales in either trim - of that 15% of CVT and 35% of MT

- Anticipates a sale of 2000 cars/month

- Blue, Silver, Grey, White, Red are the colour options

- Target audience is millennials in urban cities.

-Test drive and display cars will start arriving at Toyota dealerships from this month

Quote:

Toyota Glanza will be retailed at a higher price tag. Sales executives will be trained to explain to customers the cross-badging and reason behind higher price. They will create an appeal for brand Toyota by showcasing Toyota Heritage and Lineage.
Link

So, going by this report we are indeed getting the same plain vanilla versions as available in the Nexa showrooms. As it is Toyota did not have much risk with this strategy, they could have brought the export version with a full kit of safety. I sincerely wish this strategy to bomb big time. MS and Toyota together as a combination has maximum volume and profitability. And even then they refuse to bring something fresh to the market. It deserves to be treated with contempt from the customers.