Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2019, 12:21   #421
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
-- Maruti I think, you did a slight mistake there allowing Toyota to eat into your products, unless ofc this is all pre-planned and it's all working out the way it's meant to be--
Don't think so, as estimated volumes from Toyota itself is ~2000/month.

Maruti (through Suzuki) will get the Toyota's Hybrid and EV technology which is bound to arrive in 2021 and beyond.
Old 7th June 2019, 12:24   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Toyota may be able to sell Glanza in decent numbers, but I would say that they have insulted themselves, insulted the legacy of a great company who make and sell some of the best cars in the world.
They already did that when they made Etios/Liva. It is not new for them!
Latheesh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 12:49   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
They already did that when they made Etios/Liva. It is not new for them!
Thats debatable. Etios/ Liva were not priced that well and looked old, but the basic philosophy behind both cars can't be questioned - safe, reliable and more than adequate space, mileage and performance.

Last edited by rrsteer : 7th June 2019 at 12:51.
rrsteer is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 15:25   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Thats debatable. Etios/ Liva were not priced that well and looked old, but the basic philosophy behind both cars can't be questioned - safe, reliable and more than adequate space, mileage and performance.
Very Off-topic: But I cannot agree more. The Liva / Etios are like the Qualis - ugly, cheap interiors - but so easy to drive, and live with.

These new models though - Our Corolla Altis (2017) has a few small rattles and a bouncy highway ride - unlike the beater Etios (2013) we owned which was relatively rattle free till we installed leather seat covers and some speakers.

That being said - I still feel the Glanza has in a way reduced my perception of Toyota, though with the better pricing and warranty - I'd still pick it over the Baleno.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 15:27   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
I agree with it. I owned a Liva for 4 years and used more than 120,000 Kms. It gave me complete peace of mind and is surely a good car. It is a Toyota.
AHAMMED SHA is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 15:39   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

In case you missed to catch anything from Baleno, see it here!

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-1.jpg

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-2.jpg

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-3.jpg

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-4.jpg

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-5.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 20:15   #427
BHPian

Would Toyota send this to global NCAP or similar testing agencies and maintain its brand for safe Cars ? Going by ownership reports and a few friends who own Maruti Baleno, they don't speak too highly of the perceived safety. IMHO Toyota would only dilute its brand and premiumness by selling re-badged Maruti vehicles.. hope they don't do a Toyota 800 in the lines of alto 800...
charanreddy is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 08:05   #428
BHPian

Hats off to Toyota on the pricing department I think they've learned their lessons from the in-famous Yaris pricing. If we keep aside the fact that Glanza is a re-badged Baleno and consider it as a different product offering altogether, I think the perception would change. The question here is what Glanza has to offer over its competitors like Baleno, Polo, i20, etc. Glanza, over Baleno for example, is a BSVI compliant, having better warranty coverage, having better brand value and a subjectively better-looking product from Toyota stable which also works out to be a better value for money offering when it comes to the on-road pricing. Maybe it might turn out to be cheaper to maintain in the long run as well. If I for one, was in the market for a reliable automatic for my city-running, I would definitely give an edge to Glanza over Baleno. IMO, if Toyota doesn't screw-up on the ASS and keeps the maintenance costs in check, they would definitely do well, maybe beyond their target numbers.
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 08:58   #429
BANNED

A question to those who say Toyota has better hatchbacks elsewhere. Out of the need to fix my ignorance, had a look at T's US site. The entry vehicle was the Yaris. Prices started at USD $15,xxx/-. So which other better car does T sell and in which market? Official links will be appreciated.

Please pardon my ignorance of non-Indian markets.
Old 8th June 2019, 09:10   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10 View Post
Does somebody know more about the mild Hybrid tech? Looks like Suzuki might have inherited it from Toyota. That is why the G variant which has this tech is much cheaper than Suzuki. Rest all variants are similarly priced as Baleno.
It would be interesting to see if the mild hybrid is exactly same as from Suzuki. Apparently there are 2-3 variants of the start stop technology. Toyota worked with Denso (OEM to most for this) to create the smoothest variant. Such replacements can indeed start differentiating between the two models. However for the Toyota customers (brand ambassadors), safety and reliability will come first.
Old 8th June 2019, 09:13   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post

Though the screenshot is blurry (even with 1080p), the number looks like 1487, 1482, 1462 and 1467. Ran all the numbers on Vahan app and 1467 is a Fire Red Baleno
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Heard it before? Here is the Toyota Glanza's TVC!
I was just checking the numbers of the Glanzas used in the TVC and they are all registered to other Toyota cars!

MH 47 W 1461 /1642
MH 47 A 6688

Not sure now If we read the numbers wrong from the blurry snapshots or Toyota changed the numbers, but thankfully these numbers are not from Baleno's.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th June 2019 at 09:43. Reason: Removing YouTube URL from the quoted post (repetition). Thanks.
fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 09:49   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Not sure now If we read the numbers wrong from the blurry snapshots or Toyota changed the numbers, but thankfully these numbers are not from Baleno's.
They are all fake numbers used purely for TVCs. They usually belong to employees of the same company.

Even in the Honda City TVC, the Honda City is actually registered as a Civic and the WR-V is registered as a last gen Jazz.

Cheers!
porsche_guy is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 13:49   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
They are all fake numbers used purely for TVCs. They usually belong to employees of the same company....
Yeah. The reason I called it out here is because from the original TVC spyshots the numbers appeared to be from actual Baleno's, which added to all the fun we were having with this 're-badging' effort.

By the way in case anyone has seen the car, does the touchscreen system show the Toyota logo on startup?
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 14:00   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post

By the way in case anyone has seen the car, does the touchscreen system show the Toyota logo on startup?
Yes, it does show Toyota logo.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_20190608_135920.jpg  

HarshGtR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 14:03   #435
BHPian

Spare a thought for the Maruti Suzuki dealers now.

One of their cash cows has been seriously affected by this. Suzuki does not stand to lose at all. A Baleno out of the factory will remain a Baleno out of the factory no matter what you call it at the end of the day or who sells it.

I won't be surprised if the MS dealers are not too pleased with this strategy.
Can they force Suzuki to in turn force Toyota to do something about it? I don't know. Would Suzuki be inclined to force Toyota? I doubt it. Bean counters run companies/corporates today. When the money will come pouring in I doubt anyone in the management will have the courage to damage the deal in any shape or form.

This is a win-win for Suzuki. Either way they get more sales for their platform.
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks