Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2019, 17:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda Amaze VX CVT variant launched at Rs. 8.56 lakh

The Honda Amaze CVT is now available in VX trim priced at Rs. 8,56,900 for the petrol and Rs. 9,56,900 (ex-showroom, India) for the diesel version.

Honda Amaze VX CVT variant launched at Rs. 8.56 lakh-amaze-2019.jpg

The VX CVT variant comes with a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system with turn by turn navigation, remote control and Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity. It has an additional USB port, multi-function steering wheel, reversing camera with guidelines and driver side window with one touch up and pinch guard.

The second-generation Amaze is powered by a 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine which makes 89 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 110 Nm of torque @ 4,800 rpm and a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder diesel with 99 BHP @ 3,600 rpm and 200 Nm @ 1,750 rpm. Both engines come paired with a 5-speed manual gearbox or a continuously variable transmission (CVT). The diesel CVT version is tuned to produce 79 BHP @ 3,600 rpm and 160 Nm @ 1,750 rpm.

The CVT is also available on S and V variants with petrol or diesel engine options.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 21:09   #2
BHPian

Re: Honda Amaze VX CVT variant launched at Rs. 8.56 lakh

Welcome move More choice to the customers.

With raising avg. sale price of the cars and cities getting congested - this is the logical move.

Hopefully all other Manufacturers would follow suit and provide Automatic transmission in the top variants and not worry about sticker price/product cannibalization.

@Honda : City needs a diesel-Auto and WRV needs an Automatic option too.
vaasscit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 07:14   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good move . Diesel + CVT is the Amaze's trump card and it's nice to see the combo now available in the top variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
Hopefully all other Manufacturers would follow suit and provide Automatic transmission in the top variants and not worry about sticker price/product cannibalization.
It's because of "sticker shock", not cannibalisation. The pricing at the time of launch decides the car's reputation, and manufacturers don't want customers to see the price of the top variant and think its "overpriced". You'll see many brands following this = don't offer the AT in the top variant at the start, only to release it a couple of months later.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 11:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You'll see many brands following this = don't offer the AT in the top variant at the start, only to release it a couple of months later.
While on the topic of ATs and cannibalization, wonder why Honda doesn't launch the automatic variants of the Jazz/WR-V and the Amaze with the 1.5L i-VTEC. If Ford can use the 1.5L Dragon with the torque converter unit in the Figo and the Aspire (in addition to the Ecosport), I'm sure Honda can plonk that 1.5L engine in its sub-4m offerings as well.
nikipedia87 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 11:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikipedia87 View Post
While on the topic of ATs and cannibalization, wonder why Honda doesn't launch the automatic variants of the Jazz/WR-V and the Amaze with the 1.5L i-VTEC. If Ford can use the 1.5L Dragon with the torque converter unit in the Figo and the Aspire (in addition to the Ecosport), I'm sure Honda can plonk that 1.5L engine in its sub-4m offerings as well.
This will probably cannibalize sales of the Honda City! I think I posted something similar earlier, but a Honda Jazz with the 1.5 L engine + CVT + 6 airbags plus some sportier colours will be the near perfect urban hatchback with more than enough poke for highway runs. The colours below are available in the US.

Honda Amaze VX CVT variant launched at Rs. 8.56 lakh-1.png

Honda Amaze VX CVT variant launched at Rs. 8.56 lakh-2.png
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 12:41   #6
BHPian

No Cruise Control in Vx CVT (Petrol or Diesel both) while Vx MT petrol gets it. I'm totally perplexed !!
umeshd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 14:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
This will probably cannibalize sales of the Honda City! I think I posted something similar earlier, but a Honda Jazz with the 1.5 L engine + CVT + 6 airbags plus some sportier colours will be the near perfect urban hatchback with more than enough poke for highway runs.
I do not think Jazz 1.5 will cannibalize City sales for the following reasons:

1) City targets a different set of customers while Jazz/WR-V targets different segment. Minuscule level of cross-shopping is possible but nothing significant.
2) Jazz is already an expensive product as it is with lesser comfort features than what the competition has to offer. Plonking 1.5 is going to make it even more expensive. Add CVT, it is prohibitively expensive and will take it into City territory. Why would someone buy Jazz now if they can get a proper Sedan? WR-V 1.5 will have very few buyers because competition offers more or less same for lesser price. Also, it does not make business sense for Honda to cater to a negligible number who would still opt Jazz 1.5 + CVT.

I may be wrong. But these are the reasons why I would personally not pick Jazz 1.5 over City and it might even be applicable to others.
arunramaswamy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 14:39   #8
BHPian

Honda won't being automatic in WRV as it would cannibalize the sales of Jazz. I got this reply from a dealer while shopping for a Jazz/WRV.
Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 18:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post

2) Jazz is already an expensive product as it is with lesser comfort features than what the competition has to offer. Plonking 1.5 is going to make it even more expensive. Add CVT, it is prohibitively expensive and will take it into City territory. Why would someone buy Jazz now if they can get a proper Sedan? WR-V 1.5 will have very few buyers because competition offers more or less same for lesser price.
So this is the main issue. Honda cannot plonk their 1.5L engine plus CVT combo in the Jazz et al. because they have already overpriced them so much, any addition of features or Upgradation of power trains will result in the prices touching that of the City .

Coming back to the Amaze, a top end automatic is a welcome move. I would have liked it if Honda had also brought in adjustable rear headrests at least in the VX models, like they have in the top end City ZX. Then the Amaze will make an even stronger case for itself.
nikipedia87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 19:31   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

A few months ago, I was chatting with some non auto enthusiasts, one of who owns the first generation Amaze and has clocked some serious miles on it. On the topic of the new Amaze, they were unanimous that the new generation Amaze is a disappointment and has lost the appeal of the original Amaze. Maybe the quirky looks have contributed to the perception but I wonder if this is a prevalent mindset in the Indian market or an outlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
I may be wrong. But these are the reasons why I would personally not pick Jazz 1.5 over City and it might even be applicable to others.
All very valid points indeed. For someone like me though, a sedan is not really a need or a want but a larger engine and a good safety net are important when I look at an upgrade. For my wife, driving and parking a large hatchback would be easier than parking a > 4m sedan as well. Seeing how prices of sub 4 metres offerings are going up, I for one, dont mind paying more to get a bigger engine in the Jazz platform. That makes more sense to me than paying Rs 10 L plus for an Ecosport or a XUV300 etc.

Quote:
So this is the main issue. Honda cannot plonk their 1.5L engine plus CVT combo in the Jazz et al. because they have already overpriced them so much, any addition of features or Upgradation of power trains will result in the prices touching that of the City .
As far as I know, there is a decent price difference between the top of the line Jazz and the entry level City. To me, a more logical Honda offering set would be Amaze < Jazz 1.2 < WRV < Jazz 1.5 <= City. I would pick a fully loaded 1.5 CVT Jazz over an entry level City 8 days a week.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed