Team-BHP - Scoop! Jeep Wrangler Sahara caught testing in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Scoop! Jeep Wrangler Sahara caught testing in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/208745-scoop-jeep-wrangler-sahara-caught-testing-india.html)

Thanks to BHPian libranof1987 for sharing these images with other enthusiasts.

Scoop! Jeep Wrangler Sahara caught testing in India-wrangler1.jpg

The fourth generation Jeep Wrangler was first spotted in India back in June 2018. Recently, a test mule of the Wrangler Sahara was caught testing in Pune.

Scoop! Jeep Wrangler Sahara caught testing in India-wrangler2.jpg

The Wrangler Sahara comes in a four-door body style. It features circular headlamps and Jeep's trademark 7-slat grille. The front bumper houses circular fog lamps with chrome surrounds. LED daytime running lights are placed on the front fenders. In the US market, the Wrangler Sahara is available with a variety of roof options. The test car appears to be equipped with a hard top and has 5-spoke dual-tone alloy wheels.

Scoop! Jeep Wrangler Sahara caught testing in India-wrangler3.jpg

In the US, the new Wrangler comes with four engine options - 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder petrol producing 270 BHP and 400 Nm of torque, a 3.6-litre, V6 petrol with 285 BHP and 353 Nm of torque, a 2,2-litre, 4-cylinder diesel making 197 BHP and 450 Nm of torque and a 3.0-litre, V6 diesel developing 240 BHP and 570 Nm of torque. Transmission options include a 6-speed manual and an 8-speed automatic. All variants come equipped with all-wheel drive and a 2-speed transfer case. The Rubicon variants get heavy duty axles and locking differentials.

Link to Team-BHP News

I saw this car testing too a few times near Bangalore. I saw the car in the exact same colour with no disguise on 2 separate occasions.

1. Rajajinagar, Bangalore - More than 4 months ago
2. Mysore Road, just outside Mysore(Columbia Asia) - 21st April.

Both times, i had my phone in the pocket and couldnt take it out in time to take pics. This is a massive vehicle. i was surprised when i saw such a huge car. It looks like the Hulk version of Thar!

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

I hope they launch the Wrangler with the 2 litre petol too , It is the dream car for me & my son . He recognizes one on the road instantly & is only 5 years old .

I hope this inspires Mahindra to give us a 5-door family Thar. But I hope this doesn't inspire Mahindra to price it accordingly :).

YES! Jeep is finally doing this. The launch has got to be around the corner at this rate of leaks. I hope they bring the 2.0 liter petrol too, but as long as we at least get the 3.6 Pentastar, we should be good.

If only the Rubicon would've been available, it'd be a dream come true, but I guess there's no market for it here according to Jeep.

I wonder if the Sahara would come with Selec Trac with the LSD and full time 4H. Might not be necessary in India but it'd be cool to have it.

As an offroader, I'd like to see the more extreme Rubicon here, but I'll admit that the Sahara is the better choice for India. It's cheaper (than the Rubicon) and is easier to live with (among other things, even full-time 4WD drive can be selected which leaves it up to the electronics).

Quote:

Originally Posted by TusharK (Post 4579399)

Off Topic : What does the BYE number plate stand for ? I found it rather amusing in this pic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suneel (Post 4579953)
YES! Jeep is finally doing this. The launch has got to be around the corner at this rate of leaks. I hope they bring the 2.0 liter petrol too, but as long as we at least get the 3.6 Pentastar, we should be good.

I was at the showroom a week ago and the team informed that they would be launching the 2L turbo engined Wrangler. The V6 3.6L version might not be on sale. The sales exec. used the words 'last of the naturally aspirated' engine to the last unit of petrol Wrangler JK with them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAC (Post 4580114)
I was at the showroom a week ago and the team informed that they would be launching the 2L turbo engined Wrangler. The V6 3.6L version might not be on sale. The sales exec. used the words 'last of the naturally aspirated' engine to the last unit of petrol Wrangler JK with them.

Any idea if they were talking about the 2L Petrol from the US or the 2L Diesel from Europe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAC (Post 4580114)
I was at the showroom a week ago and the team informed that they would be launching the 2L turbo engined Wrangler. The V6 3.6L version might not be on sale.

Looks correct going by their UK website for our side of traffic. Don't know if anyone will be Ok plonking 80 Lac on a 4 Cylinder engine :Frustrati

Why don't these guys understand that selling something in a price conscious market in the UK might not work in an aspirational high-cost market like ours where taxes add a lot to the costs. It's not as if the 6 Cylinder is going to cost them too much extra, so it will be a lame launch unless they are able to price it very aggressively which I doubt. And if they are to give downsizing logic then why do they have a 6 cylinder Engine for the USA?

Quote:

Originally Posted by suneel (Post 4580129)
Any idea if they were talking about the 2L Petrol from the US or the 2L Diesel from Europe?

If it's 2 Ltr, then it has to be gasoline, have a look here.

https://www.jeep.co.uk/private-promo...gler-hp-offers

Quote:

Originally Posted by suneel (Post 4580129)

They were referring to the 2L Petrol engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4580195)
Looks correct going by their UK website for our side of traffic. Don't know if anyone will be Ok plonking 80 Lac on a 4 Cylinder engine :Frustrati

Why don't these guys understand that selling something in a price conscious market in the UK might not work in an aspirational high-cost market like ours where taxes add a lot to the costs. It's not as if the 6 Cylinder is going to cost them too much extra, so it will be a lame launch unless they are able to price it very aggressively which I doubt. And if they are to give downsizing logic then why do they have a 6 cylinder Engine for the USA?

If it's 2 Ltr, then it has to be gasoline, have a look here.

https://www.jeep.co.uk/private-promo...gler-hp-offers

Reviews unanimously agree that the 2.0 L Petrol engine in the US has equivalent HP and Torque with considerably better fuel economy than the 6 cylinder. I wouldn't mind the 2.0L Petrol at all.

The diesel is horribly underpowered and depressing though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suneel (Post 4580238)
I wouldn't mind the 2.0L Petrol at

Let’s wait for the numbers from North American market. Their V6 is a very reliable engine severely let down by that horrible 5 speed gear box in past. New ZF will extract true potential of that engine. But I guess, everyone is moving towards smaller Turbo engines so Jeep must have done some homework. It will be nevertheless a good excuse for me to stay away :)

Good luck with your Purchase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4580195)
It's not as if the 6 Cylinder is going to cost them too much extra, so it will be a lame launch unless they are able to price it very aggressively which I doubt.

Correction: 4 cylinder 2000 cc imports will attract custom duty @ 65% whereas regular duties are 100%. These lower duties are applicable for cars costing less then 40,000 USD.

So we can actually expect some competitive prices :thumbs up