Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2020, 20:54   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hybrid Cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Off-topic post alert.

As a owner of new Ertiga, I can say confidently that the hybrid tech works. In certain cases like climbing inclines or pressing throttle hard, you can feel that there is additional torque going to the wheels. Think of it as if you are a kid riding a cycle uphill with your friend sitting behind and he pushes it momentarily with his legs. Of course, this torque assist doesn't last more than 10-15 seconds and anyone expecting a bump in mileage would be disappointed. Still, I feel that in certain high load conditions, it gives the car a good mid-range torque to pull. I've driven the Ertiga with all rows occupied and loads of luggage and it has assisted engine during overtakes or climbing flyovers.
Yes for sure. The Torque assist function works. You can tell the mild push you get when the system starts assisting. If there is no assist, say when battery has insufficient charge, the pull is linear without any spike.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 21:19   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hybrid Cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Of course, this torque assist doesn't last more than 10-15 seconds and anyone expecting a bump in mileage would be disappointed.
Thanks. I have read the review by DBHPian SS-Traveller and his Ciaz where he explained how the hybrid technology works. I have also driven the new Ciaz and have experienced this feature. However my complaint is this mild push and the short window of few seconds that this feature provides. It feels more like a beta/lite version. My question, if they have the technology, why can't they roll-out a true blue hybrid which provides boost for few kms at least?

Maruti advertises that the hybrid technology is responsible for good FE (but doesn't advertise the torque boost - any idea why?). But if you compare their hybrid and non-hybrid models, the certified FE increases by 1-2 kmpl at max. On the other hand, if you look at the hybrid implementation in expensive cars, the FE and performance gains are a lot more apparent.

If making a true hybrid would jack up the cost exponentially, I will understand. Does anyone have any insight around costs?
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 00:26   #198
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

Hello All, I have a 6 year old Ritz VDI that I would like to trade in for a compact SUV,

My Budget 12 lakh on road,
requirements -

1) Safe car (abs, air bag, ncap 4 and above)
2) 4 cylinder petrol engine (1.2 above)
3) automatic Climate control
4) Good FE
5) Alloy Wheels
6) decent ICE with car play / android auto
7) reverse parking camera
8) keyless / push button start stop

Good to have features
Foot well illumination
Puddle lamps
All 4 disc brakes
Hill hold assist
TCS etc

Am I being a bit unreasonable to look for the above in 12 lakh OTR car?

With the ongoing discussion, surely the new S Cross is dated by all means. But would any of you still suggest this car as an upgrade?
MadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 08:00   #199
ARG
BHPian

Agree. I guess the S-Cross should've been a much bigger success, but it's likely that MSIL's "larger plans", including their stand on diesels, got in the way - strange as that may sound!!

To my mind, they lost the plot, when they took out the "poor selling" 1.6. Surely, MSIL could've persevered a little more, with their superior market position? The 1.3 would still have made it's volumes, but that 1.6 would've been a worthy contender to the Creta 1.6.

We would've picked up the 1.6, when we were in the market around the time, the first S-Cross facelift was launched, but since MSIL "assured" us that the 1.6 was gone for good, we went on to the Creta.

Don't get me wrong, though! The Creta 1.6 checks all the boxes, & then some!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
Missed opportunity by Maruti S Cross again.
Atleast some additional effort could have been put take on the Korean twins, but looks like a half-hearted launch by Maruti.
Old 7th August 2020, 09:06   #200
BHPian

I was in a similar situation like yours and finally brought the Manual Brezza Zxi+ Dual Tone Petrol in July,

It has almost all the same features of S Cross and XL6 and costs you under 12L OTR with 3YR nil dep Insurance and 5yr extended warranty.

I was looking at ecosport,Nexon,Venue but was skeptical of the 3 cylinder turbos which are yet to prove themselves so took a safe bet on Maruti.

I had a 2012 beat diesel which I replaced and it was a 3 cylinder too which rattled like a tractor after initial 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
Hello All, I have a 6 year old Ritz VDI that I would like to trade in for a compact SUV,

My Budget 12 lakh on road,
requirements -

Last edited by Sheel : 12th August 2020 at 09:38. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
arcotsrinivas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 17:18   #201
BHPian

Quote:
I am on a similiar lookout for my 5 year old swift. Ritz and swift being around 3.8 metre in length, none of the sub 4 metre compact SUV appear as a meaningful upgrade in terms of size whereas Seltos and Creta with all these features would be pricier by 1.5-2 lacs.
S-Cross Zeta appears to be VFM with most of the features mentioned above and priced below 10 lacs, one can save additional road tax and tcs.

Last edited by ampere : 7th August 2020 at 18:13. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Stranger17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 00:06   #202
Senior - BHPian

S-Cross Petrol Price list

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs-smartselect_20200808000340_drive.jpg

Source : WhatsApp forward
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 02:29   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Latest pricelist for Ranchi, Jharkhand:

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs-sc.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 08:16   #204
BHPian

2015 called, they want their S-cross back.
Seriously, I have no idea who are they trying to fool
1.5L "Powerful engine" are they hoping that people will look at 1.5L and think man 1.5 is bigger than 1 for sure it must be more powerful, Maruti folks are geniuses!

Practically nothing has changed in the interior, they are still happily living in the past. That cockpit console is not fitting to be called a 2020 spec at all.

And they "Introducing" us to Automatic transmission. It never ends with these people, does it?

Top-end variant still only gets 2 Airbags

And that infotainment unit just looks bad and outdated, VW is too guilty of this.

I think it's time for Manufacturers to stop showing Push Start/Stop button as a feature to boast about
Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs-screenshot-20200808-8.29.03-am.png

Nothing much has changed with the MID too
Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs-screenshot-20200808-8.29.16-am.png

They pretend to be so much in touch with what people/enthusiasts want and this is what they put out. For once I'd love to see some automotive journalists serve them some humble pie. But we shouldn't be too selfish with our wishes I guess.

Cheers
Krishna

Last edited by krishnaprasadgg : 8th August 2020 at 08:20.
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 09:29   #205
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
With the ongoing discussion, surely the new S Cross is dated by all means. But would any of you still suggest this car as an upgrade?
If I'm in market for a 11-12 L car my first two choices would be a Toyota's UrbanCruiser which is Vitara Brezza or this SCross. Obviously I will vouch for the trouble free 1.5L NA petrol of Suzuki. VB has scored a good 4 star safety ratings. SCross is decently built too. Had Honda given city's 1.5 to WRV that would also be in my list. One cannot go wrong with Japanese petrol engines.
But why a Toyota urban cruiser instead of VB? Simple reason: Honest and straight forward sales and service personnel. Moreover Toyota's urban cruiser is not ubiquitous like MS Vitara Brezza. Having come this far with budget why not check XL6 too? I love captain seats.

Last edited by KPR : 8th August 2020 at 09:36.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 09:47   #206
Senior - BHPian

On paper the Scross is a winner. It has everything I will like to have in terms of features like a decent engine, Hybrid thingy, all wheel disc brakes my favorite feature and unlike other Maruti's has great build quality. But the interiors are a big let down. Maruti should re-design the interiors and make them more modern. The design is at least a few years old and they should have taken this opportunity to renovate the insides with the likes of KIA baying for Maruti's turf they better wake up.
Old 8th August 2020, 10:22   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
If I'm in market for a 11-12 Having come this far with budget why not check XL6 too? I love captain seats.
XL6 was the first car I tried, but I found it really sluggish in picking up pace. I found the scross way more quicker. Coming from a diesel family the trusted 1.3 MJD, the turbo kick is something I will miss! What I liked about the K15 is being really rev happy and eagerness to rev higher. I did feel a slight kick when accelerating from SHVS but that was miniscule enjoyed. But it certainly checks many boxes that I wanted in my next car.

Toyota certainly will have VFM in terms of maintenance.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Old 11th August 2020, 23:21   #208
BHPian

Looking through the kerb weights and the power/torque numbers, the scross actually compares well with the competition at a much lower price.

The power/weight and torque/weight is better or in the same ball park range as the Creta, Kia and Kicks for a significantly lower price. The car also doesn't have the ergonomic challenges of the duster.

It will be surprising if the scross doesn't garner decent numbers!.
vishnurp99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 11:09   #209
Senior - BHPian

S-Cross Petrol first drive reviews

Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 11:17   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Looking through the kerb weights and the power/torque numbers, the scross actually compares well with the competition at a much lower price.
The power/weight and torque/weight is better or in the same ball park range as the Creta, Kia and Kicks for a significantly lower price. The car also doesn't have the ergonomic challenges of the duster.
That's a double edged sword isn't it? A strong power/torque : weight ratio with a lower power engine also tells about something else.

the lower price is also linked to a lot of other aspects that the newer cars have over the SCross. SCross makes sense if the power:weight ratio & rear seat space are the top most parameters in one's wishlist. One glance on the brochures of these other cars you mentioned would generally be enough to sway consumers away from SCross.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks