Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2020, 23:00   #46
BHPian
 
Dieselritzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 566
Thanked: 1,338 Times
Default re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

Looking at the way they have been greedy with the Brezza base variant automatic pricing, Scross will be 13 lacs + on road for the cheapest automatic variant.
Dieselritzer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 23:49   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vizag
Posts: 2,359
Thanked: 2,520 Times
Default re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route66 View Post

A lot depends on the pricing of S-Cross. They would not want to cannibalise the sales of Brezza which has become more expensive in Petrol avatar.

Thank You
This is the thought carmakers have to get out of. There is no such thing as cannibalizing. Every model has its own identity. Not everyone wants a big car. If they sell both Brezza and S-Cross at same price, there will still be takers for both cars. Some people are intimidated by large cars. Some have parking issues. Others want compact for ease of driving. And, then there is different school designs. Brezza is boxy SUV-ish while S-Cross is curvy MUV-ish. There is market for both type of cars. Maruti should not price S-Cross far away from Brezza. If it does, it will be measured against Koreans and would come up short.
pgsagar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 20:06   #48
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: NCR
Posts: 16
Thanked: 42 Times
Default re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Looking at the way they have been greedy with the Brezza base variant automatic pricing, Scross will be 13 lacs + on road for the cheapest automatic variant.
I seriously hope they don't get greedy. I believe the removal of tax benefit due to bigger engine would be the main culprit in increased pricing of Brezza. Being bigger than 4m, S-Cross never enjoyed that benefit, so i am hopeful of sane pricing by Maruti.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
This is the thought carmakers have to get out of. There is no such thing as cannibalizing. Every model has its own identity. Not everyone wants a big car. If they sell both Brezza and S-Cross at same price, there will still be takers for both cars. Some people are intimidated by large cars. Some have parking issues. Others want compact for ease of driving. And, then there is different school designs. Brezza is boxy SUV-ish while S-Cross is curvy MUV-ish. There is market for both type of cars. Maruti should not price S-Cross far away from Brezza. If it does, it will be measured against Koreans and would come up short.
Pricing it close to Creta/Seltos would definitely push buyers towards them due to fresher models and better features and appeal. I would bring the Duster 1.3 Turbo in consideration as well at that point of time. Let's hope for good pricing. Thank You.
Route66 is offline  
Old 30th June 2020, 23:26   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vizag
Posts: 2,359
Thanked: 2,520 Times
Default re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route66 View Post
Pricing it close to Creta/Seltos would definitely push buyers towards them due to fresher models and better features and appeal. I would bring the Duster 1.3 Turbo in consideration as well at that point of time. Let's hope for good pricing. Thank You.
Exactly. Since Brezza lost under-4m tax break, S-Cross should be priced almost the same as Brezza. Reason? They have same engine, gearbox, hybrid, features. Probably wheels, too. The extra sheet-metal on S-Cross can't cost more than 5 to 6K rupees.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 16:56   #50
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Leoshashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: India
Posts: 4,423
Thanked: 29,958 Times
Default re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

Sales training for S Cross in progress, soft launch very soon!

Screenshot:

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs-20200710_165542.jpg

PS: Being pitched against the Seltos Hope they don't get over optimistic with the pricing
Leoshashi is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 17:07   #51
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 94
Thanked: 149 Times
Default re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

Seltos has all these features except the smart hybrid. May be they are comparing with base variant only
NICHE is offline  
Old 10th July 2020, 19:22   #52
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 4,317
Thanked: 10,115 Times
Default re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
PS: Being pitched against the Seltos Hope they don't get over optimistic with the pricing
Yeah right The Seltos and Creta twins come with an arsenal of engine and powertrain options and a bigger list of features. Maruti can only position the S-Cross in a price bracket of that of the entry level Seltos such that those who want to go for the base variant and petrol can switch to the S Cross. I guess thats it.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 15:46   #53
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 629
Thanked: 4,723 Times
Default re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

This 7 points will make sure that S-cross is going to be killed by Seltos, in fact they can add 8th point 4 speed automatic and make sure the death will be swift and painless. Which dimwit brings out these points on a slide, talk about taking swords to a gun fight. One thing is that this made my day. If this was made with seriousness, it was good fun and had a good laugh, thank you Maruti Suzuki!
The Rationalist is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 16:02   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
himanshugoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: !!!!
Posts: 2,225
Thanked: 2,013 Times
Default re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Sales training for S Cross in progress, soft launch very soon!

Screenshot:

Attachment 2028303

PS: Being pitched against the Seltos Hope they don't get over optimistic with the pricing
If they are positioning Auto AC as a differentiator, then the chances are the mid/top end scross will be priced at par with base seltos. In which case, this will be a very compelling proposition. the common public cares two hoots about 4 vs 6 speed AT. Heck, most people consider AMT as ATs.
himanshugoswami is online now  
Old 11th July 2020, 16:06   #55
KPR
BHPian
 
KPR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Thamizhnaadu
Posts: 347
Thanked: 806 Times
Default re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

Somehow with out Fiat MJD diesel MS is not attracting customers to Nexa. If MS brings 1.6 Fiat MJD in S Cross, then they have a winner in their hands. There is nothing like they don't know about it. Else it's all podium for Nexon, Seltos and Creta.
KPR is offline  
Old 11th July 2020, 21:32   #56
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 147
Thanked: 283 Times
Default re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

Progressive next gen smart hybrid - does it mean they are bringing the 48 volt hybrid or is it just the existing 12 volt system. Considering the indicated mileage it could be only the 12 volt system

10% more fuel efficient means ARAI mileage is around 18.5 KMPL(Seltos Petrol Manual-16.8 KMPL)
DImPo is offline  
Old 11th July 2020, 22:44   #57
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Cotton City
Posts: 92
Thanked: 403 Times
Default re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
This 7 points will make sure that S-cross is going to be killed by Seltos, in fact they can add 8th point 4 speed automatic and make sure the death will be swift and painless.
Had a good laugh at the highlighted part man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Which dimwit brings out these points on a slide, talk about taking swords to a gun fight. One thing is that this made my day. If this was made with seriousness, it was good fun and had a good laugh, thank you Maruti Suzuki!
MS is going empty handed for a gun fight in this case!

I still don't get why MS can't use Hybrid like Toyota! That would have been a great differentiation! Rather than name sake powerpoints.

Last edited by xcentrk : 11th July 2020 at 22:45.
xcentrk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 23:47   #58
BHPian
 
Rshrey22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Delhi
Posts: 283
Thanked: 475 Times
Default re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Sales training for S Cross in progress, soft launch very soon!

Screenshot:

Attachment 2028303

PS: Being pitched against the Seltos Hope they don't get over optimistic with the pricing
The least MS could do is to turbo charge this 1.5 to make it a competent cross over rather than pushing 10% increase in fuel economy.

Anybody who is spending more than a million bucks wants that pushed in the seat feeling when they floor the pedal rather than high FE numbers.

XUV300 being sold as a sporty turbo petrol vehicle has seen decent success in the market, MS should learn!

Last edited by Rshrey22 : 12th July 2020 at 00:01.
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 00:34   #59
BHPian
 
arjab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MAA/CCU
Posts: 954
Thanked: 2,585 Times
Default re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
The least MS could do is to turbo charge this 1.5 to make it a competent cross over
No need to turbocharge it also. With a little bit of fettling this engine can easily produce another 10-12ps more with a similar increase in torque. Honda extracts around 125ps from its 1.5L, with VTEC, so with a little bit of work I feel 118-120 ps can easily be squeezed out of the K15 block. it's just that they won't do it! Simultaneously, Shorten 2nd and 3rd gear ratios, make 4th a 1:1 and keep 5th as an overdrive
Mind you the S-Cross tips the scales at close to 1.2 tons at the kerb which means it's close to 1.5tons at full GVW.
And it'll be good to drive as well. The S-Cross is one of those rare Maruti's which always had pretty decent levels of ride, handling and body control. All it needs is a bit more firepower under the hood.
And it's needless paranoia for Maruti to think they'll lose sales. S-Cross customers I've seen are a bit different. They are not the quasi-SUV loving brigade,(those choose the vitara brezza anyways), but are a more discerning lot, who buy the S-Cross knowing what it is - a large, decently built spacious hatch with a modicum of visual muscle. Such customers who are paying close to a million rupees will gladly trafe-off half a kmpl off the fuel efficiency figures for a more peppier drive.
arjab is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 00:56   #60
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 1,361
Thanked: 1,674 Times
Default re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
.
And it's needless paranoia for Maruti to think they'll lose sales. S-Cross customers I've seen are a bit different. They are not the quasi-SUV loving brigade,(those choose the vitara brezza anyways), but are a more discerning lot, who buy the S-Cross knowing what it is - a large, decently built spacious hatch with a modicum of visual muscle. Such customers who are paying close to a million rupees will gladly trafe-off half a kmpl off the fuel efficiency figures for a more peppier drive.
They won't be paranoid that they lose sales , but rather that they lose margin. The Baleno RS has taught them that as long as it is a half decent engine, the engine itself is not a deal breaker. So if the 1.5L sells in good numbers they would be happy to maintain status quo.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline  
Closed Thread

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks