Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2020, 19:36   #76
BHPian

re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I really don't understand how that mediocre 1.5 liter petrol can do justice to the SCross. It is the best chassis in the current Maruti lineup and it definitely needs a better engine (atleast the 1.5 liter diesel).
The 1.3 MJD felt the most sluggish (not sure about Ertiga, as I haven't driven it) in the SCross. The heft of the car and the 89 bhp with that turbo lag actually spoils the driving experience of a rather nice car. 1.5 petrol feels "adequate" in the ciaz, which is a lot lighter than the SCross.
Absolutely spot on! Speaking as an owner of a petrol SX4, the 1.6L in the SX4, the 1.4L in the original Ciaz and the 1.5L in the Ciaz facelift have never been as competitive in their segments as their K12 series (we have a Baleno too) or even the K10. Its adequate for city use and one really has to work the gearbox hard to make good progress on the highway. In short, good mid range with ok low end and missing top end. A 4th gen Honda City felt like 10 years ahead in the engine department!
When I drove the facelifted S-Cross earlier as a potential upgrade for my SX4, the vehicle felt as if it was willing to be thrown into corners with that terrific chassis and brakes but let down by the 1.3L diesel. I wonder what the 1.6L diesel would have been on the original S-Cross judging by the great reviews. In fact, I wonder how your experience has been with the Ciaz diesel considering excitement while leaving out the reliability and frugality.
Its high time Maruti gives us better engines in the 10-20 lac segment or it is bound to lag there, like it has until now.
Researcher is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 20:27   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
Its high time Maruti gives us better engines in the 10-20 lac segment or it is bound to lag there, like it has until now.
I agree as well and let me share some personal experience on the 1.4 Petrol VVT as I have owned a petrol Ertiga earlier.
The car revs at around 3200 rpm driving at 100 with all occupants. Due to the lack of top end, progress is usually slow beyond this. I can only wonder what will happen in the SCross which is supposed to be relatively heavier.

Moreover the 4 Speed Auto is dated. One thing I was always wanted on the Ertiga was a 6th Gear and now compared to that, AT box with 4 ratios only is not the best choice.

Last question, is it possible that the Mild Hybrid can provide some intial torque boost ?
May be that helps a bit.

Last edited by swarnava.ch : 17th July 2020 at 20:28. Reason: Spelling correction
swarnava.ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 23:44   #78
BHPian

That insipid 1.5 P and then 4 speed auto in this era!! Lesser priced hatches are coming with 6 speed DCT.
Zinda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 03:07   #79
BHPian

Let me create a small wish list for the updated S-cross:
1. Electronic Stability Program
2. 6 Speed Automatic
3. Updated Steering
4. Updated instrument cluster
5. Updated touch screen system

I believe Maruti has already written the exam and none of the above are present in their answers. Results awaited!

Not sure how Maruti will justify much lower priced cars from their own portfolio like Baleno and Swift getting better instrument cluster and steering compared to their supposedly premium flagship car. Expecting 6 Airbags would be pushing it a bit too far, even farther than the 6 speed Automatic.

PS – Add the first two and I will pre-book the car. In case someone is watching.
srikanthmadhava is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 11:10   #80
Senior - BHPian

Its an utter waste of a good design to have underpowered engines. Instead of this nonsense, its better that they launch the global model of the Suzuki Vitara which is a capable offroader, as a CKD. This will definitely put MSIL in the premium SUV territory.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 13:08   #81
BHPian

Variant for Variant, Scross won't be much heavier than ciaz or Ertiga. Ciaz and Ertiga are much longer cars. Even accounting for the much better build quality, scross will only be 60-70 kgs heavier than a comparable ciaz variant and probably the same weight as Ertiga.

Please share exact weight of old ciaz shvs top end variant 1.3 DDIS variant and Ertiga 1.3 DDIS top variant from the respective RC books in case anybody has this information handy.
vishnurp99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 23:47   #82
BHPian

Well as per the team bhp review, kerb weight of Ertiga 1.5 petrol is around 1130 kgs. Vitara Brezza which is based on the same platform as S-Cross weighs around 1140 kgs without the hybrid and dual battery setup.
Now going by the differences in their diesel models which was around 10-20 kgs and the increase in weight due to dual battery setup, I am expecting a weight increase of around 40 kgs which puts it at par with the kerb weight of XL6.
Hoping for a similar fuel efficiency of around 19 kmpl in the manual avatar which would make it the most fuel efficient car in its segment and performance would be similiar as Xl6 which would be best termed as adequate.
Old 19th July 2020, 10:36   #83
BHPian

@Stranger17, is Scross and Vitara Brezza based on the same platform? I don't this is the case. Could you please point to your source of this information.

My impression was that Scross is based on the same platform as the global vitara but vitara Brezza is independently developed in India. So they are not the same platform.
Old 19th July 2020, 10:46   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
@Stranger17, is Scross and Vitara Brezza based on the same platform? I don't this is the case. Could you please point to your source of this information.

My impression was that Scross is based on the same platform as the global vitara but vitara Brezza is independently developed in India. So they are not the same platform.
Yes, it is true that both Vitara Brezza and S-Cross are based on the on the Suzuki Global C-Platform. Plenty of resources available on the web, even on Teambhp.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ncap-test.html (Maruti Vitara Brezza scores 4 stars in the Global NCAP test)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.evo...-brezza-review

Last edited by sinharishi : 19th July 2020 at 10:51.
Old 19th July 2020, 10:49   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post

From Brezza official review

Codenamed 'YBA', the Vitara Brezza is based on Suzuki's global C-platform, which it shares with the full-sized Vitara. Nope, it's not based on the new Baleno platform as work on the Vitara Brezza started before the Baleno's platform was even ready. One look at the kerb weight and you'd know it. While the Baleno is lightweight, for a sub-4 meter Maruti, the Vitara Brezza is on the heavier side. At 1,170 kg (1,195 for the top variant), it's just 10 kg lighter than the S-Cross DDiS 200.

Last edited by NICHE : 19th July 2020 at 10:50. Reason: Typo
Old 19th July 2020, 11:53   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
. In fact, I wonder how your experience has been with the Ciaz diesel considering excitement while leaving out the reliability and frugality.
Its high time Maruti gives us better engines in the 10-20 lac
Totally agree that Maruti needs to give better engines in their bigger cars.

As for my ownership with ciaz, I find it more than adequate for 99% of conditions (that 1% is when I would need rapid acceleration from 0 kmph, say from a signal stop, like a drag, which seldom happens). The ciaz is a light car and is very aerodynamic. The 89bhp engine's major Achilles heel is the low end turbo lag. Beyond 2000 rpm, it delivers rather punchy mid range and even the top end is pretty good(I do a lot of upper triple digit speeds as I drive on NH45 4 times a week).

Excitement as such is not there, but it isn't boring too. It all boils down to your experience in keeping the engine in boil(2000+ rpm) and work with the gears whenever you need fast progress.

But imagine a 120 bhp engine in a ciaz, it will be a hoot (even 1.5 diesel had a 10s 0-100 kmph according to Autocar road test). But as fast as it can be in a straight road, you will curse Maruti for the chassis, the vague steering and soft suspension the moment you encounter the first steep corner

So it has been a balance in ciaz and I am happy with it. As for the same engine in my friend's SCross, the chassis, suspension and even the steering are eager to go faster, while the engine is more reluctant than the ciaz beyond certain speeds(can't mention here) and even the acceleration feels slower. Guess it has to do with the 11cm extra height and 110 kg extra kerb weight of the SCross in comparison with the ciaz.

Ciaz vs Scross (Both 1.3 Alpha)

1485 mm vs 1595 mm
1130 kg vs 1240 kg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 19th July 2020 at 12:01.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 19:07   #87
BHPian

@prasanna - are you considering the shvs version of the ciaz alpha with Scross? The old Scross was 1180 kgs from the teambhp review. The new one has shvs and some added electronics for the automatic led headlights and wipers and tyres which are larger too. So that would go to 1240. I believe the latest 1.3 ddis ciaz (when available) with shvs, auto headlamps and the works is around 1160-70 kgs. So it should be around 80 kgs of weight difference for the actual chassis.

Scross masks speeds like few other cars. However I don't think the weight differential will cause a significant performance differential if the difference is even a 100 odd kilos. Ultimately it's the same engine.

@Niche - Thank you for clarifying on the platform for vitara
Brezza.

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 19th July 2020 at 19:19.
Old 19th July 2020, 19:20   #88
BHPian

Is it too optimistic to think that this will be priced lower than the outgoing S-Cross diesel?
Old 19th July 2020, 20:21   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoker View Post
Is it too optimistic to think that this will be priced lower than the outgoing S-Cross diesel?
It won't be priced lower the outgoing one had the 1.3 litre diesel which led to lower duties but now with 1.5 litre petrol it would lose that benefit just like the vitara brezza lost its duties benefit and is more expensive compared to the pre-facelift diesel one.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 00:52   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
It won't be priced lower the outgoing one had the 1.3 litre diesel which led to lower duties but now with 1.5 litre petrol it would lose that benefit just like the vitara brezza lost its duties benefit and is more expensive compared to the pre-facelift diesel one.
S-Cross is > 4m in length and didn't have duty-benefits anyways with 1.3 diesel engine (something which brezza had as it was < 4m in length)
I guess one of the factors in deciding the price is the cost of 1.5 petrol engine and related components v/s older 1.3 engine and it's related components

Last edited by djkher : 20th July 2020 at 00:56.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks