Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2020, 20:08   #91
BHPian

re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

If you do rough reverse calculation on pricing of Diesel and Petrol Brezza, keeping in mind the change in tax slab from 31% to 45% (Source: SIAM) due to bigger engine.

Variant - Ex-Showroom - Pre-tax (Approx)
LDI - 7.8 - 5.95
ZDI+ - 9.88 - 7.54

LXI - 7.34 - 5.06
ZXI+ - 9.75 - 6.73

Maruti actually reduced the pre-tax price by 89,000 for base variant and approx 81,000 for top variant.

Additionally, Petrol Brezza got minor updates to grill, headlights (LED) and taillights.

SCross never enjoyed the lower tax benefit, so technically Maruti can reduce price as they did with Brezza. Also, no changes to features list is expected.

Considering reports that SCross may be offered with SHVS on both Manual and Auto, they can still reduce the price by 50K.
Route66 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 14:42   #92
BHPian

S-Cross zeta diesel was the most vfm variant till it was priced under 10 lacs. Looking at the way Maruti has priced Vitara Brezza which now comes with no tax benefits due to larger 1.5 ltr petrol and the recent Honda city prices which is priced reasonably well, although they cater to different buyers yet more or less belong to the C2 segment. My guess for the S-Cross prices are:
Delta 1.5 - 8.9 lacs
Zeta 1.5 - 9.9 lacs
Alpha 1.5 - 10.9 lacs
Anything more than this and they enter Creta and Seltos territory which satisfies buyer's Suv thirst and reasonably loaded as well.
Stranger17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 22:10   #93
BHPian

Let me be absolutely blunt about it. Without a diesel option this product is already on ICU. There are far many compelling choices around the pricing of S cross especially with the lack of diesel option. Spend another 1-2 lakhs and you will enter the Creta/Seltos category and there the S Cross stands no chance.
needforspeed88 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 11:25   #94
Senior - BHPian

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol pre-bookings open

Maruti Suzuki dealerships have started accepting pre-bookings for the S-Cross 1.5L petrol. Customers can book the car online or at a Nexa dealership. The booking amount has been set at Rs. 11,000.

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs-scross-bookings-open-1.jpg

The S-Cross will be powered by a BS6-compliant, 1.5-litre petrol engine with a mild-hybrid system. The engine produces 103 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 138 Nm @ 4,400 rpm. The engine will be paired with either a 5-speed manual or a 4-speed automatic transmission.

While Maruti is yet to announce the launch date, media reports suggest that the S-Cross 1.5L Petrol could be launched on August 5, 2020. The crossover could be offered in in four variants - Sigma, Delta, Zeta and Alpha. The automatic transmission is likely to be available in Delta, Zeta and Alpha trims.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 19:34   #95
BHPian

Terms & Conditions? Is booking amount completely refundable on cancellation, like Kia Seltos or others?

Last edited by Aditya : 24th July 2020 at 23:00. Reason: Spacing, acronyms
Old 24th July 2020, 23:39   #96
Senior - BHPian

The ad should read in fine print at the bottom.

** With the same old dull interiors than its competitors.

I do not understand why Maruti is hell bent on giving away it's market share to the likes of Kia/Hyundai. With that ordinary looking dashboard how are they expected to match up the competition?
sumeethaldankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 07:13   #97
BHPian

Going by the wordings of the teaser, it looks like Maruti is introducing a new 1.5 litre engine. Seems interesting
Old 25th July 2020, 08:34   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DImPo View Post
Going by the wordings of the teaser, it looks like Maruti is introducing a new 1.5 litre engine. Seems interesting
Highly unlikely it's a new engine because the same is already doing duty in the Ciaz. What it probably means is that the petrol engine is new to the S-Cross which was exclusively diesel before.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 02:24   #99
BHPian

Why is Maruti hell bent on using the 4 speed AT ?

It’s a very decent car and people who shop only Maruti will buy it anyway. If only it came with a proper automatic transmission (5 gears at least) would it have been a great car.
Old 26th July 2020, 05:09   #100
Senior - BHPian

I am questioning the very purpose of this product right now. Even if I were to be a hard core Maruti fan (I am sure there aren’t as many in the 12-18 lac market), I would still take the Brezza over this, assuming a price difference of a lac or so between their respective variants.
As long as S-Cross gets just 2 airbags, same 7in Infotainment, no AWD, no ESP, and the same 4speed AT. It’s a joke in terms of the positioning, not to mention this fake premium aura about Nexa branding. S-Cross was fully viable as long as it had the 1.6MJD, once thats gone, its as good as the Maruti 1000,i.e. sheep in wolfs clothing,
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 09:36   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I am questioning the very purpose of this product right now. Even if I were to be a hard core Maruti fan (I am sure there aren’t as many in the 12-18 lac market), I would still take the Brezza over this, assuming a price difference of a lac or so between their respective variants.
As long as S-Cross gets just 2 airbags, same 7in Infotainment, no AWD, no ESP, and the same 4speed AT. It’s a joke in terms of the positioning, not to mention this fake premium aura about Nexa branding. S-Cross was fully viable as long as it had the 1.6MJD, once thats gone, its as good as the Maruti 1000,i.e. sheep in wolfs clothing,
It's the opposite for me. I would pick the S-cross over the Brezza any day.

The S-cross has way more advantages than the Brezza for a price that is not much more when it came to diesel. In Fact I was trying to see the logic people were picking the Brezza over the S-cross.

The S-cross has below advantages IMO:
1. Way more interior space and comfort than Brezza. Brezza even has smaller seats to make it look spacious. The S-cross is full sized seats. Seats are also wider for 3 in S-cross.
2. Much better interior quality and fit / finish. Soft touch materials on dash, better dials, more padding on door for arms.
3. Much better build quality than Brezza. The Brezza is good but the S-cross feels better built.
4. Superior ride and handling. Ride Quality is plusher and because of longer wheelbase and less height handles better.

The only positive in the Brezza vs the S-cross is the boxy SUV styling. There's nothing else really the Brezza excels at vs the S-cross.

The S-cross is seriously underrated and you appreciate it only after driving or owning one.

In Fact I have told many to wait for the 1.5L petrol S-cross if looking for a crossover in 11-14L bracket.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 26th July 2020 at 09:48.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 10:30   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

The S-cross has way more advantages than the Brezza for a price that is not much more when it came to diesel. In Fact I was trying to see the logic people were picking the Brezza over the S-cross.
Completely agree on all points. During my recent car purchase, when I decided to look beyond the S-Presso , the first car which came to my mind was Vitara Brezza. Infact before lockdown, I had even booked one. Good GC and high seating position were non negiotiable for me, hence started with the cheapest car of the lot.

I was appalled at the interior quality the moment I sat in. No, I'm not taking about the visual stuff. The door handle when held, creaks like a cheap chinese toy. That left a bad taste. The TD car had done less than 1000 kms, yet it was full of rattles, squeaks and misaligned panels around the upper glovebox. I checked another Brezza in showroom, and it was the same story there as well. I'm sure it wasn't the case with Pre-facelift Brezza.

The S Cross always remained quite an under-rated car, overshadowed by Creta and then its sibling, the Brezza.

The day I booked my XL6, I came to know about the sales training for S Cross. I did ask them to hold the booking for a moment, since dynamics of S Cross is at another level. However XL6's comfort was loved by all, specially my mom who has a problematic back. So I decided to overlook the S Cross, which will be a bit lower than XL6. Also S Cross is almost at the end of its life cycle. Didn't want to face issues later with spares availability, since I intend to keep this car for long.

And I don't understand why the 1.5L K series is considered to be a mediocre engine. At least for me, I spend most of my time driving in lower rpms, where engines like the 1.5L of Etios or this K15B have simply no comparison. I prefer bottom end grunt more than that top end performance. In fact during Mobilio's TD some years ago, and I was quite irritated by the lack of grunt lower down the revv band. Top end grunt is always desirable, but not at the cost of low end torque availability.

Maruti has messed with the S Cross formula, right from day 1. Bland styling, overpricing the 1.6L gem, sticking to diesel only when the market was moving towards petrol-you name it and they have committed that blunder. Maruti is responsible for less than average performance of this model which had immense potential. Look at the Seltos, it has something for everyone. Maruti should have gone for that approach with the S Cross. 1.4L Boosterjet, 1.6L Diesel for the enthusiasts, 1.5L K15B and E15/D13 Diesel for those who prefer relaxed engines.

Anyways, it's probably too late for the S Cross. Hope the 1.5L petrol gets it the love it always deserved.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 10:37   #103
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

The S-cross has below advantages IMO:
4. Superior ride and handling. Ride Quality is plusher and because of longer wheelbase and less height handles better.
Traveled extensively in my friend's S-Cross, didn't like the ride quality at all, especially the back seat experience isn't good at all. From Maruti's profile, used to refer S-Cross to my friends & relatives until then but after the longish rides in the back seat, stopped referring it to my knowns. Shall I ask my friend to get his car's suspension checked, are there any known suspension issues with S-Cross?
Old 26th July 2020, 11:01   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Traveled extensively in my friend's S-Cross, didn't like the ride quality at all, especially the back seat experience isn't good at all. From Maruti's profile, used to refer S-Cross to my friends & relatives until then but after the longish rides in the back seat, stopped referring it to my knowns. Shall I ask my friend to get his car's suspension checked, are there any known suspension issues with S-Cross?
Yes rear suspension was faulty on many S-cross. Here's the thread discussing this:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...pension-2.html (Suzuki S-Cross: Bouncy rear suspension)
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 11:05   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
are there any known suspension issues with S-Cross?
Well, yes and no. I know folks who complained and got aftermarket shocks, there is a thread on Team-BHP too. On the other hand, I am at 1,35,600 KMs on stock suspension. My Highway-City drive ratio is 80-20, I mostly have my parents accompanying me at the back and we have done 1,000+ KMs at a stretch, many times.

Last edited by sinharishi : 26th July 2020 at 11:12.
sinharishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed