Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2020, 15:12   #31
BHPian

re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

They have, in Europe, a beautiful 1.4L Turbo petrol mated to AWD and a CVT gearbox. But apparently we are not worthy of such luxuries.
Thank God they did not launch it with the 800cc engine!!

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st May 2020 at 12:49. Reason: Typo
sridhar-v is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 16:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Maruti S-Cross Petrol could be launched in May 2020

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

The Maruti Suzuki S-Cross BS6 petrol is likely to be launched in May 2020. The launch was initially scheduled in the month of April, but has now been postponed due to the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs-scross.jpg

The S-Cross petrol is expected to be offered in four variants - Sigma, Delta, Zeta and Alpha. The car is unlikely to receive any cosmetic updates. However, it is expected to get an updated touchscreen infotainment head-unit.

The S-Cross is expected to be offered with a 1.5-litre petrol engine with a mild-hybrid system. The same engine is available in the Ciaz, Ertiga and Vitara Brezza where it produces 103 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 138 Nm @ 4,400 rpm. Maruti Suzuki might offer a 5-speed manual transmission in the S-Cross as standard, while a 4-speed automatic gearbox could be available as an option.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by benbsb29 : 3rd April 2020 at 05:03. Reason: Corrected typo.
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 16:24   #33
BANNED

What’s the obsession of Maruti and this old 4 speed Automatic? Is it so difficult to give India a bit modern automatic gear box.
The Rationalist is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 08:53   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
What’s the obsession of Maruti and this old 4 speed Automatic? Is it so difficult to give India a bit modern automatic gear box.
Suzuki globally doesn't have the money to invest in cutting-edge tech, and Suzuki India (Maruti) doesn't have the knowledge, expertise or the inclination (since ATs still form a small % of the market).

That said, give me this old AT any day over the lousy AMT.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 14:41   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki has a 6 speed Torque converter and even DCT in some countries, but I believe they are sticking to this 4 speed Torque converter(which even today has very few local content) for cost reasons alone. It will also be easier for them to manage the spares requirements later because of this immense part sharing.

IMO they should localise the 6 speed AT, price it competitively and use it across all their models for that sharing benefit. It's anyday better than AMT, minus the efficiency.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 14:48   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Suzuki has a 6 speed Torque converter and even DCT in some countries, but I believe they are sticking to this 4 speed Torque converter(which even today has very few local content) for cost reasons alone. It will also be easier for them to manage the spares requirements later because of this immense part sharing.

IMO they should localise the 6 speed AT, price it competitively and use it across all their models for that sharing benefit. It's anyday better than AMT, minus the efficiency.

Regards,
Shashi
Is it such a big rocket science to add at least one cog to 4-speed AT? It's not like they sell only in India. And, ATs are catching up everywhere. Don't they have at least a 5-speed box in Japan? All their offerings in Japan are mostly ATs. And, why not a CVT than a 4-speed?

I fully agree about AMT, though. Better a 4-speed TC than an AMT. BTW, Maruti can position this as a good alternative to Seltos and new Creta by pricing a it few lakhs off these rivals' prices. That is the only way they can take on them. That said, crossoverish S-cross'es suspension should be better than Seltos'es and Creta's as it has less body-roll than SUVs.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 19:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

And the UK gets a lovely AWD, 1.4 Boosterjet version.
How I wish Maruti stops playing the turtle for once and comes out with some really nice specifications

Link:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...2020-uk-review
arjab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 10:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

What a far cry this petrol engine would be from the 1.6 liter DDIS 320 stonker that the S Cross once used to come with. Looks inevitable that the car would be underpowered and relegated to the list of "also ran". This is a heavy car and demands a competent engine, with which it would be a fantastic vehicle. Trust Maruti to plonk in a lackluster engine into a otherwise competent machine, thus resulting a very poor power to weight ratio. Annihilates whatever desirability quotient it was that had remained with this car till now.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 11:19   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
What a far cry this petrol engine would be from the 1.6 liter DDIS 320 stonker that the S Cross once used to come with. Looks inevitable that the car would be underpowered and relegated to the list of "also ran".
I think from where the bean-counters look (i.e. numbers) - the SCross 1.6 also had numbers near "also ran" category. Surely it put a grin on the enthusiasts' face & those who managed to snap it - enjoy it to the fullest. If I was looking for a car back then - the SCross 1.6 would be what I'd have bought. Pretty sure about it. But then - it never set the charts on fire by Maruti standards.

I think while the petrol engine may not be as enthusiastic to drive - it will get the job done for majority of buyers. I won't be surprised if the petrol SCross manages to match the diesel 1.3 sales numbers or even beat them. Even with this engine - it does not lose its excellent merits in humongous space, cavernous boot, good build quality & nice stylish road presence. It can sell well on these too. For now I think MSIL has kept "enthusiasts" on the back burner.
Old 7th April 2020, 12:11   #40
BHPian

And we thought Nexa channel will be different to Arena, and would get premium, global vehicles from Suzuki stable

Nexa has now become like an after-market shop- which provides a souped up exterior version of regular cars (XL6), or like the same "Big Bazar" in a more upmarket area which sells slightly expensive merchandise from the regular ones.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 16:09   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Even with this engine - it does not lose its excellent merits in humongous space, cavernous boot, good build quality & nice stylish road presence. It can sell well on these too. For now I think MSIL has kept "enthusiasts" on the back burner.
Agreed and precisely why I said that this is an otherwise competent vehicle. The couple of times I test drove the 1.6 I was very impressed with the build quality, practicality and comfort. And yes, the 1.6 on paper is an also ran, but we enthusiasts know what it was capable of. The petrol on the other hand won't have any such USP, I'm afraid. It might do basic numbers, but will be a lackluster product - especially at a time when companies are starting to bring in quality turbo charged petrol mills to counter the heavier weight of SUVs and crossovers.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 13:25   #42
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Maruti S-Cross Petrol BS6 to be launched post lockdown

According to a media report, the Maruti Suzuki S-Cross Petrol BS6 is likely to be launched only after the lockdown is lifted.

Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs-scross.jpg

Initially, the S-Cross Petrol was scheduled to be launched in March, this year. The launch was deferred due to the Covid-19 lockdown. Later, there were rumours suggesting that the car might be launched in the month of May. However, with infections on the rise, it seems unlikely that the government would lift the lockdown completely anytime soon.

The S-Cross is expected to be offered with a 1.5-litre petrol engine with a mild-hybrid system. It produces 103 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 138 Nm @ 4,400 rpm. Maruti Suzuki might offer a 5-speed manual transmission in the S-Cross as standard, while a 4-speed automatic gearbox could be available as an option.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 14:12   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Rumour: Maruti S-Cross Petrol BS6 to be launched post lockdown
According to a media report, the Maruti Suzuki S-Cross Petrol BS6 is likely to be launched only after the lockdown is lifted.
By then the existence of the car would have been forgotten, so there is no point in Maruti launching this car. Once upon a time a performance enthusiasts favourite with the DDiS 320, now with a petrol engine which is still not even upto the standards of the M16A on the International S-Cross in terms of power or torque. The 102Bhp is what the M16A could produce in its initial avatar on the SX4 and that is what the K15 does today with a loss in torque. The competition is heating up with good powertrain and transmission options and in a few years from now, Maruti might be limited to the sub 10L category with Ciaz and Ertiga being the flagships.
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 12:08   #44
Senior - BHPian

The S-Cross petrol will be offered in three variants and with two transmission options.

S-Cross petrol expected to launch in early June 2020.
Bookings unofficially open for a token amount of Rs 11,000.
The S-Cross petrol will be offered in three variants: Delta, Zeta and Alpha.
Prices are likely to start from Rs 9.90 lakh (ex-showroom).

All three variants of the S-Cross will be offered with manual and automatic transmission options.

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...-launch/38535/
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 21:08   #45
BHPian

Thank you for approving my membership.

No i can finally ask if any member has details on launch timings of S-Cross.

We are planning to replace our 2014 EcoSport and have shortlisted S-Cross. Ideally, we want a diesel as we have a fairly high running (EcoSport is close to 1.5 Lakh Kms mark) and an Automatic as this will be a daily runner for my father.

Budget: 10-12 Lakhs

Problem: There are no Diesel Automatics available in this price range on a Mini-SUV/Crossover.

So we decided to look into petrol automatics. With the recent fuel price increase in Delhi, diesel is now expensive than petrol. Maybe our decision to move to petrol is making some sense.

Options Considered:
Tata Nexon: I love the face-lift design. But my parents are not fond of the rear design. I could not convince them with safety, features and front end. No automatic option is also a deal-breaker. After test drive we concluded that AMT is not for us.

Hyundai Venue: Looks good, but interior space is limited. My dad does not hold Hyundai in high spirit. So we dropped it from consideration.

EcoSport: Although we have used EcoSport extensively, everyone in the family (except my dad) hates the ride. It is very stiff and we hardly use it for road trips. We use our other car (2013 Duster) for road trips and whenever we have to travel together. Me and mother Vetoed it out.

We did not consider sedans or Honda BR-V or Xuv300 (really small boot).

S-Cross: Should tick all the boxes when it is available in Petrol automatic. Earlier, the 1.3DDIS unit was way insufficient for this car. But reviews of new 1.5 Petrol are good and should be suited for our needs. Moreover, we get a bigger, more spacious car for same budget as a Sub-4 meter car. Many members on this forum have stories of reliability and solid build of the S-Cross and with new features Maruti provides in its car (LED lights, Entertainment system with Apple CarPlay etc.) it should do the job. It would mostly run on Delhi-Gurgaon route with occasional short trips. Although we still prefer Duster for any road trip due to its ride quality, but it is closing in on 7 years and 1.65 Lakh Kms. Additionally, if we install rear facing car seat for my son, the passenger seat has to be moved forward which makes it useless for us. (Me and my father both are 6 ft). I have already tried fitting the car seat in S-Cross and it has a lot more space left.

A lot depends on the pricing of S-Cross. They would not want to cannibalise the sales of Brezza which has become more expensive in Petrol avatar. But if they price it higher than Brezza, which already is close to 13 Lakh for top-end Auto, it will be in territory of Creta and Seltos. Which will take us to drawing board once again.

Thank You
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks