Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2020, 13:01   #136
BHPian

re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

I have to admit I am a bit disappointed with the pricing. This car was loved by many and Maruti had an opportunity to play it aggressively with pricing to gain traction. In this day and age with a Petrol 4 Speed Auto - compare this to Nexon, Ecosports, XUV300 and I don’t see any value why will someone choose this over competitor products.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th August 2020 at 20:20. Reason: Minor typo.
swarnava.ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 13:05   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Maruti cleverly have launched it at same price thinking people will forget the earlier diesel price and when they do come out with the 1.5L BS6 diesel they can price it higher.
The word in bold is questionable . I think the consumers have become more so than what MSIL gives us credit for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The S-cross is an older gen product and Hyundai have even upgraded the Creta to a newer generation even though both launched within a month apart back in 2014.
The only comparable aspect in these 2 cars now is that they both have faces resembling fish! The Creta's face looks like a bored Catfish while the SCross resembles something from the Guppy/Molly/Swordtail family.

(No offense - I'm not saying these are bad, I have pet fish at home.)
Reinhard is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 13:18   #138
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling that in the days to come, MSIL's market share will go down as a natural expansion of market segments occurs. With products like Kia Sonet aiming directly at the B+ hatchback/ CSUV territory, Maruti will eventually become a sub 8 lac player. The only niche product worth considering is the Ertiga, with its relatively comfortable 7 seater design.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 13:32   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
In this day and age with a Petrol 4 Speed Auto - compare this to Nexon, Ecosports, XUV300 and I don’t see any value why will someone choose this over competitor products.
The top variant of S-Cross Petrol is 6,000/- bucks cheaper than sub 4-meter SUV Ecosport Top variant Titanium S BSVI. You are getting a vehicle one segment above, 4 discs brakes, Hybrid engine, more mileage which are not offered in Ecosport and larger boot. I am not sure why you are comparing S-Cross with sub 4-meter SUV's. It is fair to compare it with Creta / Seltos / Kicks etc.

Just in case if someone want to know variant wise features, you can refer to below video from V3Cars.

Last edited by ramnaresh_2000 : 5th August 2020 at 13:37.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 13:53   #140
Senior - BHPian

Oh my god! Pricing is offset by at least a lakh, considering the petrol 1.5 Engine in other Maruti contraptions.

Rest let the market decide!!

Last edited by laluks : 5th August 2020 at 13:54.
laluks is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 13:54   #141
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
And the official pics. Just check the cancel button on the steering. They got the spelling wrong in the official image I hope the car doesn't have the wrong spelling.
What's with the yellowish backlight for buttons? White or blue looks so much better. Even red looks way better.
Old 5th August 2020, 14:39   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Oh my god! Pricing is offset by at least a lakh
I have the same feeling. How I wish it was more competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
The top variant of S-Cross Petrol is 6,000/- bucks cheaper than sub 4-meter SUV Ecosport Top variant Titanium S BSVI.
Dear ramnaresh_200, I was actually comparing the prices based on the website. For Bangalore, For Ecosoports Titanium AT is priced as 10,66,500 Ex showroom. this is much less than SCross pricing announced.
Please refer Ford India website for pricing here. Did I miss anything ? Please feel free to correct me here.
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 4228
Size:  168.8 KB

Other point is about segments and comparison with Creta and Seltos. Its a fair point however this is a very personal decision.
With due respect to other owners and also that I like SCross in general, I will only say that I perceive Creata and Seltos to be better packaged than SCross at respective price points. This is more in my head and just my opinion. I may be wrong here but maybe we can respectfully disagree with each other here.

Last edited by swarnava.ch : 5th August 2020 at 14:40. Reason: adding screenshot for pricing
swarnava.ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 14:46   #143
BHPian

Quote:
For Ecosoports Titanium AT is priced as 10,66,500 Ex showroom.
I was referring to Ecosport Titanium S Petrol MT variant which is 11,21,500/- ex showroom in Hyderabad.
Old 5th August 2020, 15:01   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
I was referring to Ecosport Titanium S Petrol MT variant which is 11,21,500/- ex showroom in Hyderabad.
BHPian swarnava.ch is right. If you compare the major features across variants of the two cars, S-Cross Alpha is comparable to the Ecosport Titanium variant only.

Titanium+ and the S variants have major feature advantage in the form of 6 airbags, sunroof, traction control to name a few.

The S-Cross petrol is over-priced for what it offers on this day. Maruti should have refreshed the design and added some more features to justify this premium pricing. Else they should have priced it a lakh lower. That should have brought the base automatic variant below the 10L ex-showroom mark, a critical number in most of our states.

Nexa has offered discounts on the S-Cross almost round the year to move through the numbers and I am afraid, this trend will continue.

Last edited by ashis89 : 5th August 2020 at 15:05.
ashis89 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 15:24   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Autocar India in conversation with Shashank Srivastava and CV Raman, talks about Engineering the S-Cross petrol and opting against turbo-petrol.
Honestly, their words in the video and what they have delivered doesn't seem to match. They speak about delivering a powerful petrol engine, but delivered the least powerful engine in its class, and even a class below it(Sub 4m C-SUV's) as all of them have a more powerful petrol engine. One question from the media person like - "But sir, this engine which you say is powerful, is actually the least powerful in its class" would have made my day and make the manufacturers re-think their strategy on what to give out to media next time. Sadly, our medias aren't capable enough to question the leading manufacturer(in sales).
That 1.4L Boosterjet at even 2L more than the current price would have pitted it right against the 1.4 T-GDI in the Creta/Seltos and still cost atleast 4-5L cheaper than them.
Quote:
Mr. Shashank says when customers had the option of only a diesel engine on the S-Cross, many wanted a powerful petrol engine under the hood, so now we have delivered just that.
Mr. CV Raman is one of the most respected personalities in the industry and this is the first time ever I have seen him speak like a programmed robot. If you see the 1.0 Boosterjet launch, he was so energetic and passionate explaining even the minute details of the engine but it looks all dull now with hardly any interest on his face. I think its certainly not his call on the S-Cross going 1.5 petrol. Knowing him, he would have surely wanted the 1.4 turbo in it as in the other markets, or atleast the full spec 1.0 turbo. It certainly is the case of Maruti not wanting to try anything other than 1.5 in these cars. Hats off to the second largest player, Hyundai for bringing such vast number of engines and gearboxes to India.

Edit: Seeing this once again, honestly my first feel is Mr. Shashank has absolutely no clue on what he is speaking other than powerful petrol and customers looking for luxurious interiors. Certainly this guy has to step inside the new Creta or Seltos to understand that the industry is moving at a much faster pace than Maruti Suzuki!

Last edited by Xaos636 : 5th August 2020 at 15:27.
Xaos636 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 15:37   #146
BHPian

With no offence to prospective buyers, the 4 Speed TC AT Petrol line is like one of those products that satiate neither the heart nor the mind.

While I don't mind an old school, naturally aspirated, free revving petrol mill, plonking a neanderthal gearbox signals the utter lack of interest in promoting the product.
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 15:40   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Oh my god! Pricing is offset by at least a lakh, considering the petrol 1.5 Engine in other Maruti contraptions.

Rest let the market decide!!
100% agreed. But contrary to what many of us @ T-BHP think, Maruti could sell their contraptions.

Quote:
I have the same feeling. How I wish it was more competitive.
It's their "flagship", has to be a bit premium

@ 2:00 Shashank says its got a very powerful and then immediately uses has adequate power.

They go on to justify why 1.0 turbo charged engine was opted out of - customers perceive 1.0 as a small engine and not powerful enough. Lessons from Baleno

Finally the justification for using the old school 4 speed AT - Almost no change in mileage from MT!!

Sigh!

Last edited by sudeepg : 5th August 2020 at 15:41. Reason: Grammar correction
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 15:41   #148
Senior - BHPian

Keeping automatic variant aside, the difference between Zeta and Alpha variant is more than a Lakh rupees. I wonder why that is the case, what major features does it miss ?

I think the Vitara Brezza and Ciaz will be cannibalized more than any other car by the new S-Cross. (I for one would get this over the Ciaz if I was in the market)

That said, Maruti now has the price bracket of above 11 lakh open for a car that can 'really' compete with Seltos and Creta. Lets see what do they bring to the table (showroom)
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 15:54   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Keeping automatic variant aside, the difference between Zeta and Alpha variant is more than a Lakh rupees. I wonder why that is the case, what major features does it miss?
It's intentional. They are absorbing margins on the Zeta to keep it under 10L. If ex showroom is below 10L there is a good saving of 20K to 40K in road tax in many states. Karnataka charges 14% for sub 10L and 19% for 10-20L ex showroom price.

So many manufacturers price the variant which would have been 10.2-10.5L under 10L and then increase the top end little more to adjust.

Maruti always used to keep the Zeta at 9.95L and move prices around for Delta, Sigma, Alpha. Zeta would get features but no price increase.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 16:28   #150
BHPian

A car which was launched more than 5 years ago and is continuing without any substantial upgrades needs a significant overhaul to rack up the numbers. But Maruti simply plonks the "adequate" 1.5 petrol with a 4 speed AT and two airbags and thinks it will sell like hotcakes.

MSIL needs major product changes otherwise these 10lac+ cars of Maruti will die similar death like the SX4 and Kizashi. It's not 2015 MSIL, the competition has moved on way ahead.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed