Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2020, 20:54   #166
BHPian

re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

We can only guess what the executives were smoking when they decided to charge such hefty premium for the 4 speed TC. There can't be any logical explanation since the premium for AT is less atrocious in Ciaz and XL6 selling from the same showroom.
Old 5th August 2020, 20:59   #167
BHPian

Maruti has still not understood "the buyer" of S Cross and they wonder why it does not sell as much. They have Vitara Brezza the sub 4 mtr SUV, Ertiga the 7 seater MPV and Ciaz the classical sedan with the same national engine and their patrons are not complaining. Then why one should buy an S Cross which is neither a 7 seater, nor a boxy SUV but the engine is same? Maruti should have simply provided a more powerful engine to S Cross and that would have helped them create a niche for this otherwise good car. After launching Vitara Brezza they should have discontinued the 1.2 L diesel engine from S Cross instead of the great 1.6 L engine and they would indeed be giving a fight to Creta. But Maruti made S Cross withdraw from the game and now it will play the junior league showing its muscles to the kids.. what a shame.
ashtrix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 21:07   #168
BHPian

The Scross is decently priced when you look at other competitor's prices.

You are talking about a 4.3 metre long crossover vehicle with adequate power, excellent fuel efficiency for a petrol and backed by the best support network in the country. This vehicle is stable, has excellent build quality, ride quality and is quite spacious. I know since I own the diesel.

People who want to go for second hand cars are not the target audience. No doubt you get great value when you buy used.

Folks who are not really fuel efficiency conscious or who have a 16 lakh budget are again not the target audience here.
Old 5th August 2020, 21:26   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_kumar View Post
We can only guess what the executives were smoking when they decided to charge such hefty premium for the 4 speed TC. There can't be any logical explanation since the premium for AT is less atrocious in Ciaz and XL6 selling from the same showroom.
Okay, now I understand the reason. Maruti is doing us a great favor by "introducing" us to automatic transmission.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs-intro.jpg  

k_kumar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 21:45   #170
BHPian

5 speed manual and 4-speed automatics? Did we just time machine back to the 80s? How dumb does Maruti think customers (who pony up a million rupees for a car) are?
kovilkalai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 01:51   #171
BHPian

Nice move by Maruti. Change should be incremental which should be highlighted and showcased to the customer.

That will help to keep the inquisitive customer alive. I am sure the cosmetic changes which people are missing now, should be launched pretty soon once the pulse for the model is found to be still alive.
livetodrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 08:18   #172
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs

S-Cross Petrol TVC - The Refined SUV

Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 09:59   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
S-Cross Petrol TVC - The Refined SUV

What a fake ad! That V8'ish fake soundtrack for the petrol engine is repulsive - and Maruti speaks about being modest.

Should have focussed on practicality or family instead, like their usual stuff.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 10:03   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember reading in the XL6 petrol automatic thread that the Lithium-ion battery beneath the driver's seat (speak about a hot seat , given the risky nature of Lithium-ion batteries) will drain out fully if the car isn't started in ~30 days. This battery cannot be re-charged and a new one costs ~75,000 INR.

The same battery has been placed beneath the S-Cross driver's seat right?
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 10:44   #175
BHPian

I still wonder what the company is upto.Their justifications on discontinuing diesel engines and not having turbo petrols doesn't even make sense.It is true that the market is shifting towards the petrol powertrain but SUVs and Crossovers need punchy turbo petrol motors considering the weight and build of these cars.Talking about the Scross in specific,it was sold in the European markets and therefore it felt more European than Japanese and it never felt like a mainstream Maruti.But it couldn't achieve the sales figures that the company expected mainly
due to its dull looks and overpricing and was eventually been considered as a Flop in the market.(No offense to Scross owners but that's the fact)The facelift was launched but the overall improvement in sales was by a very small margin.It remains to be seen how Maruti manages to sell this outdated product in the market where companies offer multiple engine and gearbox options and first in segment features for their cars.
Old 6th August 2020, 11:17   #176
BHPian

I don't know if anyone noticed this misspelt 'Cancle.'

Perils of sourcing Chinese components who are not so well-verse with English. Shows serious deficiency in quality controls here at home.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs-cancle.jpg  

Hoopoe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 11:22   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
I don't know if anyone noticed this misspelt 'Cancle.'

Perils of sourcing Chinese components who are not so well-verse with English. Shows serious deficiency in quality controls here at home.
Yes, that got discussed here -
Incorrect Cancel spelling post (Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Smart Hybrid Petrol, now launched at Rs. 8.39 lakhs)

Although I don't think these are perils of outsourcing part manufacture to the Chinese. Like it or not, the Chinese seldom make such mistakes in manufacturing.

The image is not that of a real car but seems to be a CAD render for media releases to me. If that holds true - these are perils of outsourcing IT/ITES and graphic designs to Indian supplier. Having been in this industry for a long time now, I don't find such mistakes surprising at all.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 11:37   #178
BHPian

In a segment where 6 speed transmission has become a norm, still carrying on with a 5 speed manual/ 4 speed TC gearbox shows how adamant this company is, in making their product stand out from the crowd

This shows, either they are not serious about their product in this segment or they are taking their LOYAL customers for granted. If they continue this trend, it won't be too long before they realize that their once LOYAL customers, are now watching them from their competitor's showroom.

Last edited by Sudarshan_N : 6th August 2020 at 11:53.
Sudarshan_N is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 11:38   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

The image is not that of a real car but seems to be a CAD render for media releases to me. If that holds true - these are perils of outsourcing IT/ITES and graphic designs to Indian supplier. Having been in this industry for a long time now, I don't find such mistakes surprising at all.
Yes, it seems to be a CAD rendering.
It can be seen in the ad that the spelling on CANCEL is correct
jigar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 12:12   #180
BHPian

I wonder what S cross has actually got more to offer. Apart from longer length (which does not translate into good boot space) and slightly better build quality, nothing I can think of.

If compared to Brezza/Nexon, space and legroom wise its same. Infact It felt more airy in Nexon. Also, Nexon even with AMT felt better to drive (compared to Ciaz AT which I once rented on Zoomcar) due to higher torque. Boot space is just 25 litres more than Brezza which is not much. GC is better in both Brezza and Nexon. Interior in better than Brezza but way behind Nexon. Due to weight of S cross, it will be even more boring to drive compared to Brezza, since engine specs wise its same as Beezza.
A car like S cross which has good chassis and suspension just does not deserve an ancient 4-speeder.

So basically only if one wants the snob value of a 'lambi' car, does it makes sense. Otherwise, Brezza/ Nexon make so much more sense. Also, save 1- 2 lakhs rupees, or more.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks