Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2020, 20:57   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Skoda Kodiaq to get 1.5L petrol engine option

I don't see Skoda selling the Kodiaq with the 2L TSI anytime in the future in great numbers.

The Tiguan Allspace killed any chances of the Kodiaq selling well.

VW should have got a regular smaller Tiguan with 2L TSI and in a sportier R line trim which would have been targeted at enthusiasts.

The Kodiaq could have slipped in above the Tiguan as a premium luxury SUV.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 23:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Kodiaq BS6 has been spotted testing in Pune

Rumour: Skoda Kodiaq to get 1.5L petrol engine option-smartselect_20210107235347_chrome.jpg

Rumour: Skoda Kodiaq to get 1.5L petrol engine option-smartselect_20210107235358_chrome.jpg

Video Link
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 19:42   #18
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0L TSI makes perfect sense ! 1.5L may be restricted to Kushaq/Kamiq/Kamala .

I'm pretty sure it will eat into sales of it's rich looking cousin - Audi Q5 2.0L TSI. That should be the group's strategy IMO.
niruvrs9669 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 09:23   #19

1.5L TSI would be too small for a SUV of this size and it probably would be getting AWD , so a 2.0L TSI with 190PS and 320Nm would be the ideal , or the old 2.0 TDI with 180PS available internationally.
Old 4th February 2021, 10:29   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight View Post
1.5L TSI would be too small for a SUV of this size and it probably would be getting AWD , so a 2.0L TSI with 190PS and 320Nm would be the ideal , or the old 2.0 TDI with 180PS available internationally.
The 1.5L TSI is only available with 2WD DSG. I haven't seen the 1.5L TSI with a 4x4 option anywhere internationally since 2019. It was there before IIRC.

Looks like Skoda stopped giving 4x4 option on 1.5L TSI and I just checked that the 2L TSI is removed as well from their lineup completely in Europe.

So now with Kodiaq you get only FWD 1.5L TSI and 2.0L TDI is FWd or 4x4. This is international market.

So will be interesting what they decide to get for India now.

The Kodiaq is a soft roader at best can't do the rough stuff so AWD hardware cost makes no sense. The 1.5L TSI has good poke and with the lighter weight of the 1.5L and lack of 4x4 will not be too slow.

Knowing that the Tiguan Allspace failed miserably with the 2L TSI and AWD option, Skoda could try a gamble by getting the 1.5L TSI DSG at a lower price point sub 40L and it may work in creating a big difference between the Fortuner, Endeavour for people to consider this. At this price point they don't have much competition as well except from JEEP and now Citroen.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 4th February 2021 at 10:31.
Old 4th February 2021, 11:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Tiguan Allspace killed any chances of the Kodiaq selling well.

VW should have got a regular smaller Tiguan with 2L TSI and in a sportier R line trim which would have been targeted at enthusiasts.
Quote:
Knowing that the Tiguan Allspace failed miserably with the 2L TSI and AWD option, Skoda could try a gamble by getting the 1.5L TSI DSG at a lower price point sub 40L and it may work in creating a big difference between the Fortuner, Endeavour for people to consider this. At this price point they don't have much competition as well except from JEEP and now Citroen.
Just curious to understand why you keep saying that the Tiguan Allspace failed? As a car, it is quite good and has a great engine and gearbox combo. For a petrol engine, it is quite torquey (320 Nm) and comparable to the outgoing diesel Tiguan and Kodiaq. Also, the 2L engine with 187bhp is more powerful compared to the outgoing Tiguan and Kodiaq and can be remapped to a higher state of tune if one desires even more power. Switch on to the sports mode and its quite fun to drive for a car of its size.

Along with TRoc, it was meant to fill the short term gap until the Taigun was launched and showcase VW's global products. Being a CBU, it was never meant to bring volumes for VW and considering that it launched bang in the middle of a lockdown, it did as expected and served its purpose.
mustangvins is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 18:09   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangvins View Post
Just curious to understand why you keep saying that the Tiguan Allspace failed? As a car, it is quite good and has a great engine and gearbox combo. For a petrol engine, it is quite torquey (320 Nm) and comparable to the outgoing diesel Tiguan and Kodiaq. Also, the 2L engine with 187bhp is more powerful compared to the outgoing Tiguan and Kodiaq and can be remapped to a higher state of tune if one desires even more power. Switch on to the sports mode and its quite fun to drive for a car of its size.

Along with TRoc, it was meant to fill the short term gap until the Taigun was launched and showcase VW's global products. Being a CBU, it was never meant to bring volumes for VW and considering that it launched bang in the middle of a lockdown, it did as expected and served its purpose.
As a car it is definitely good, no doubt. But it failed cause they imported 1000 cars and priced it on par with the bigger SUV's and even had lesser features than their own sister company Skoda.

Even when lockdown was over the only way they could get rid of the 1000 cars was with massive discounts, of 6-8lakhs + lot of marketing help from all local actresses, paid adverts with Autocar and what not.

It got sold only cause people realised it's good at less than 35L vs 40+. Not one buyer I think paid the full 42L on road in Bangalore.

The appeal of a thirsty 2L turbo petrol in a car with lesser presence than bigger SUV's + missing features vs the discontinued Kodiaq. The Tiguan allspace had no electric passenger seats, no canton premium audio, no sunblinds at the back and a few other small stuff absent. Plus the 3rd row like the Kodiaq was unusable.

This is also the reason Skoda pushed the Kodiaq 2L TSI launch cause then the Tiguan stocks would never sell. I'm pretty sure seeing the low sales of the Tiguan Allspace, Skoda are evaluating and reworking the numbers to get for the Kodiaq and the 1.5L TSI might be an option.

I've mentioned this before, the Tiguan 2L TSI would have been a perfect package in the regular size not the larger Allspace. Now they are planning this as well.

The Kodiaq can be the larger more practical 7 seater and the Tiguan can come a little below for the slightly more sporty and enthusiastic buyer.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 4th February 2021 at 18:15.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 22:06   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is no way that Skoda will price the Kodiaq at sub ₹40L on-road, the 2L TDi Kodiaq used to retail upto ₹45-46 Lakh for the L&K!

Kodiaq is the flagship of Skoda, if you plonk it with a 1.5 TSI 2WD 150hp forget selling anything when the cheaper Superb gets the 2L TSI 190hp, it won’t have the face to even compete with the big boys Fortuner and Endeavour. In my eyes the Tiguan AllSpace is just as good as the Kodiaq. I feel VW did the right thing by getting the Tiguan Allspace to India, at 40L as compared to the older Tiguan 2L TDi which retailed close to the same price.

Now with the Regular Tiguan also coming in, VW can price it (with whatever engine it comes) at a slightly lower price tag and attack the Compass Model S and Citroen C5 Aircross head-on.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 4th February 2021 at 22:14.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 22:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I was enquiring if there are any huge year end/stock clearance discount on the Tiguan Allspace but despite them (dealer) selling just one or 2 cars every month, they are talking about 10-15k kind of discount.
Kodiaq might manage to sell few more owing to the better looks and interior.
Well my colleague had enquired some weeks back and he was offered Petrol Tiguan Allspace (Red Color) for ex show room 30 lakhs net , Bangalore. I happened to check carwale for the non discounted ex show room price and it was approximately 33.5 lakhs. If that is true then there is (perhaps was) a considerable discount.

Tiguan Allspace is a CBU and one should consider the costly spares factor, Hope Kodiaq has considerable localization for an affordable after sales service.
Old 4th February 2021, 23:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
Well my colleague had enquired some weeks back and he was offered Petrol Tiguan Allspace (Red Color) for ex show room 30 lakhs net , Bangalore. I happened to check carwale for the non discounted ex show room price and it was approximately 33.5 lakhs. If that is true then there is (perhaps was) a considerable discount.
What you quoted is my old comment and when I enquired after few days, they came down till 37 lakhs on-road (from the 42 lakhs) + the service package for 5 years.
Old 5th February 2021, 11:56   #26
BHPian

Quote:
As a car it is definitely good, no doubt. But it failed cause they imported 1000 cars and priced it on par with the bigger SUV's and even had lesser features than their own sister company Skoda.

Even when lockdown was over the only way they could get rid of the 1000 cars was with massive discounts, of 6-8lakhs + lot of marketing help from all local actresses, paid adverts with Autocar and what not.

It got sold only cause people realised it's good at less than 35L vs 40+. Not one buyer I think paid the full 42L on road in Bangalore.

The appeal of a thirsty 2L turbo petrol in a car with lesser presence than bigger SUV's + missing features vs the discontinued Kodiaq. The Tiguan allspace had no electric passenger seats, no canton premium audio, no sunblinds at the back and a few other small stuff absent. Plus the 3rd row like the Kodiaq was unusable.

This is also the reason Skoda pushed the Kodiaq 2L TSI launch cause then the Tiguan stocks would never sell. I'm pretty sure seeing the low sales of the Tiguan Allspace, Skoda are evaluating and reworking the numbers to get for the Kodiaq and the 1.5L TSI might be an option.

I've mentioned this before, the Tiguan 2L TSI would have been a perfect package in the regular size not the larger Allspace. Now they are planning this as well.

The Kodiaq can be the larger more practical 7 seater and the Tiguan can come a little below for the slightly more sporty and enthusiastic buyer.
We both agree on the most important aspect that the car is good!

I also agree that the original pricing was higher at 33l ex showroom which did not help its cause but being a CBU, I think it was expected. And that is why i said that this was not expected to bring volume but rather showcase the product offerings and tech from the VW stable.

The regular diesel Tiguan was also overpriced when it launched and it sold more units in the last 3 months of 2019 after big discounts due to BS6 transition. So, VW definitely needs to get their pricing right but can be forgiven in this instance since this is a CBU.

But the same holds true for Kodiaq as well. If i remember correctly, the L&K variant of Kodiaq was priced even higher than the CBU version of Allspace and even the lower variants were priced close to the bigger SUV's. Kodiaq sold 903 units in the last 6 months of 2019 which was before the lockdown compared to 825 units for Allspace in the post lockdown period (based on team-bhp car sales analysis).

I am just trying to drive home the point that the Allspace has done its intended purpose for VW.
mustangvins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 10:00   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
There is no way that Skoda will price the Kodiaq at sub ₹40L on-road, the 2L TDi Kodiaq used to retail upto ₹45-46 Lakh for the L&K!

Kodiaq is the flagship of Skoda, if you plonk it with a 1.5 TSI 2WD 150hp forget selling anything when the cheaper Superb gets the 2L TSI 190hp, it won’t have the face to even compete with the big boys Fortuner and Endeavour.
This is the only reason why they may not want to risk the 1.5L TSI in the Kodiaq. It is their most premium car and it's not a risk to take by plonking in a smaller motor.

Skoda could have tried putting the 1.5L TSI in the Superb to lure chauffeur driven owners more with a lower price tag but instead they went with the 2L TSI lower FE option only cause the Superb is a status symbol and a 1.5L TSI could dilute the image it has at a lower price.

The 2L TSI looks to be the only option but like the Tiguan will be a tough sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangvins View Post
I also agree that the original pricing was higher at 33l ex showroom which did not help its cause but being a CBU, I think it was expected. And that is why i said that this was not expected to bring volume but rather showcase the product offerings and tech from the VW stable.

But the same holds true for Kodiaq as well. If i remember correctly, the L&K variant of Kodiaq was priced even higher than the CBU version of Allspace and even the lower variants were priced close to the bigger SUV's. Kodiaq sold 903 units in the last 6 months of 2019 which was before the lockdown compared to 825 units for Allspace in the post lockdown period (based on team-bhp car sales analysis).

I am just trying to drive home the point that the Allspace has done its intended purpose for VW.
Unfortunately the reality was different. The Kodiaq was on sale for 3 years and was assembled here with kits. With the Tiguan they thought it would cover the Kodiaq gap but till October 2020, they sold 200 out of 1000 cars that were imported in feb. They finally cut their losses and sold them at a lower price to finish off the 1000.

The Kodiaq was a steady stream from 150-250 cars monthly for 3 years.

The Allspace is the reason that the Kodiaq 2L TSI is delayed.
Old 6th February 2021, 10:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suspect that the delay is because of the facelift version being around the corner.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 12:05   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately the reality was different. The Kodiaq was on sale for 3 years and was assembled here with kits. With the Tiguan they thought it would cover the Kodiaq gap but till October 2020, they sold 200 out of 1000 cars that were imported in feb. They finally cut their losses and sold them at a lower price to finish off the 1000.

The Kodiaq was a steady stream from 150-250 cars monthly for 3 years.

The Allspace was officially launched only in June and deliveries to customers started only in late July. So wonder how you expect it to be sold prior to that. Also you seem to conveniently ignore that the impact of a nationwide lockdown when all sales was completely stopped for a few months from end of Mar.

In the 6 months since it was launched, it sold close to 140 units on average per month. For a premium CBU, that was launched post the lockdown, those are quite decent numbers.
mustangvins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 19:50   #30
BHPian

Kodiaq to be relaunched before June this year

Mr. Zac Hollis has confirmed on twitter that 2021 Kodiaq will be launched by June this year.

Rumour: Skoda Kodiaq to get 1.5L petrol engine option-img_20210210_194417.jpg
YD14 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks