Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2007, 12:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata's answer to Swift D : Indica 1.3 CRDi

We knew the launch of Swift diesel would shake up the market and it has! According to Business Standard, Tata Motor's will launch the Indica with a smaller 1.3 L CRDi engine developed in house that will be almost Rs. 1 lakh CHEAPER then the Swift D.

Quote:
Tata Motors plans to launch a 1.3 litre CRDi diesel variant of its small car Indica developed in-house in the next few months
Quote:
With this, Tata Motors has fast-tracked its original plans to develop indigenous CRDi technology with Fiat, which is expected to fructify in a year or more.
Full Story: Business Standard.

Last edited by amit : 29th January 2007 at 12:59.
Old 29th January 2007, 12:57   #2
BHPian

Good move by Tata.. Hope they don't delay it..
Old 29th January 2007, 13:00   #3
BHPian

but still, the question is that will the tata be able to give the refinement levels of the swift?

The tata motor, will produce, not more than 70 bhp, as the present gearbox (which again is a major drawback ) cannot handle more torque from the engine. And this same engine, on the indigo xl, gave only a morginal increase in performance, compared to the TDI engine!!!!
Old 29th January 2007, 13:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

the diesel segment is really going to hot up with so much competition.....there are fewer and fewer reasons to buy petrol cars...
Old 29th January 2007, 13:04   #5
BHPian

But one year is too long of a time also MUL may cut the cost when there will be real competition to them from Indica at price front. I think TATAs need to make it fast.
Old 29th January 2007, 13:15   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
But one year is too long of a time also MUL may cut the cost when there will be real competition to them from Indica at price front. I think TATAs need to make it fast.
Fast..

And quality stuff too...

With the current levels of refinement and quality, they wont be able to match Swift DDiS... In the passenger car segment (not taxi segment)
Old 29th January 2007, 13:19   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilv12 View Post
but still, the question is that will the tata be able to give the refinement levels of the swift?
Ever the pro-active Tata.....cant wait to test-drive one. @Nikhil, the Indica will not offer the refinement but it will have oodles more space.
Old 29th January 2007, 13:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

If they launch the Dicor for a lack cheaper it will surely be a blow on Swift sales but what I would like to know is whether they are going to do anything about the interior trim , its still pretty poor . Its a fact that Indica has come a long way with continuous improvements to what it is now - an economical , reliable , maintenece free small car but quality of materials still feel barbaric , Door handles, dash board design ....somehow the interiors fail to entice a customer to a level that its exterior does. With the upcoming launch of Fiat 1.3 Multi , competetion is going to be really stiff.

Last edited by maxbhp : 29th January 2007 at 13:23.
Old 29th January 2007, 13:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

The article is a little confusing to me. Business Standard says the Indica will be out with the 1.3L diesel, developed in-house by Tata, in a few months.

Quote:
Tata Motors plans to launch a 1.3 litre diesel variant of its Indica with a CRDi engine developed in-house in the next few months.
Then they say, with this Tata have fast tracked their efforts to develop CRDi engines with Fiat that was expected to happen in one year.

Quote:
With this, Tata Motors has fast-tracked its original plans to develop indigenous CRDi technology with Fiat, which is expected to fructify in a year or more.
So is this new smaller diesel the Fiat multi-jet or Tata's own product? I don't think it is the multi-jet if reports of the car being at least Rs. 1 lakh cheaper then Swift D are true. Can someone make better sense of what business standard are trying to say?
Old 29th January 2007, 13:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Not only an engine change but a platform change as well can be expected.

Quote:
Tata Motors has decided to introduce the technology in all diesel models of its Indigo and Indica cars within next 4-6 months. "We will be introducing CRDi technology in our hatchback segment Indica and sedan segment Indigo cars during next 4 to 6 months," Tata Motors Limited, HeadCar Product Group (Passenger Car), Nitin Seth said here today.
"The Common rail technology is certainly going to enhance the fuel efficiency of a passenger car significantly against normal diesel version car."

The company with a turnover of Rs 25,000 crore also plans to change its existing platform of its cars including Indigo, Indica, Marina etc within the next two years.
"As per our policy, we do change our platform after a gap of 8 to 9 years and now we would introduce our new platform of our passenger cars in next 2 years," he said.
Source: The Hindu
Old 29th January 2007, 14:56   #11
BHPian

But the biggest problem with Indica is the 'TAXI' tag attached to it. Can't TATA develop atleast one more platform other than Indica/Indigo??
Old 29th January 2007, 15:24   #12
BHPian

hey ! i saw an indica dls which had different tail lights and new bumper and front grille while i was returning to jaipur from Gurgaon at NH-8 . it zipped pass through my car at <130kmph i think cudnt take a photo but the front looked much better than the present . there was no badging of dicor or crdi .but the vehicle didn't even had any number plate on it ...............

Last edited by garvit2002 : 29th January 2007 at 15:28.
Old 29th January 2007, 15:30   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So is this new smaller diesel the Fiat multi-jet or Tata's own product? I don't think it is the multi-jet if reports of the car being at least Rs. 1 lakh cheaper then Swift D are true. Can someone make better sense of what business standard are trying to say?
Fiats role is probably limited to assisting Tata with some technological leads.
Old 29th January 2007, 15:37   #14
nbr
BHPian

i doubt whether INDICA dicor can match SWIFTs image
Old 29th January 2007, 15:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronline View Post
But the biggest problem with Indica is the 'TAXI' tag attached to it. Can't TATA develop atleast one more platform other than Indica/Indigo??
I think Tata will sell both the current Indica and the all new Indica V3 (spy pics shown by ACI) when they launch the new one. The current Indica will be for the taxi market while the new V3 would appeal to private car buyers at a slightly higher price tag. I am expecting Tata to do a Skoda and Hyundai!

Most Viewed