Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2019, 10:48   #721
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisrujan View Post
I am exactly in the same boat as you are, but I was shooting for titanium+ AT. But Fordís announcement to drop features caught me off-guard and I lost confidence in Ford. Also thereís uncertainty about Mahindra taking over Fordís assets and how it affects service and spare part availability. I may sound paranoid to some, but I donít want to gamble with 13 lacs of my hard-earned money.

Venue DCT felt silly easy to drive in extreme traffic conditions and gear shifts were quick (except when you want immediate throttle response at crawling speeds - even Ecosport AT suffers in this aspect - Nixonís AMT canít compete with either). The road presence isnít the best but not bad at all. Itís got almost as much interior space as the Ecosport.

Considering Fordís predicament, I think Venue maybe a better choice.

Advices and opinions are given free here and they arenít ot much help. At the end of the day, you must be happy with your car. Go with the car that brings a smile on your face and when you step in and most importantly after you step out after a drive!
The ford's confusion is now sorted out brother. Ecosport Tit+ AT stays same as it is. No changes. Only Price dropped . As far as Ford-Mahindra goes, I believe they are just sharing technology but I am not aware much about this matter as it barely got any reasonable answer/comment from bothe the parties.
ameyadchule is offline  
Old 11th June 2019, 13:25   #722
BHPian
 
saisrujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 129
Thanked: 263 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyadchule View Post
The ford's confusion is now sorted out brother. Ecosport Tit+ AT stays same as it is. No changes. Only Price dropped .
Are you sure? My understanding is that the titanium+ variant, including the AT version, lost sync3 (including Android Auto / Apple CarPlay), leather seats, cruise control among other things. See the brochure:

https://www.india.ford.com/content/d...019-Mobile.pdf

Let me know if I'm wrong. I'm glad they didn't yank out side and curtain airbags, but they've downgraded it enough to make it a deal-breaker.

I've been driving an Ecosport Ecoboost titanium+ (O) all along, so when I go looking for AT in the same segment, Ecosport AT should've been my obvious choice. But now, Venue seems to be a better choice among the two, even though it does feel like a bit of downgrade (no side/curtain airbags and no rear wiper/washer). Again, since this discussion is about AT and the reason we opt for AT is to simplify city-driving, I think Venue DCT beats Ecosport AT hands down in that department because it's much easier in city traffic:
  • Venue's dashboard isn't as deep as Ecosport's
  • Venue's bonnet is visible, Ecosport's isn't
  • Venue has a significantly thinner A pillar compared to Ecosport, offering better visibility
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyadchule View Post
As far as Ford-Mahindra goes, I believe they are just sharing technology but I am not aware much about this matter as it barely got any reasonable answer/comment from bothe the parties.
Lack of detail into this arrangement is what troubles me. On the other hand, Hyundai is well entrenched and is doing quite well in India.
saisrujan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 14:03   #723
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 263
Thanked: 465 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisrujan View Post
Are you sure? My understanding is that the titanium+ variant, including the AT version, lost sync3 (including Android Auto / Apple CarPlay), leather seats, cruise control among other things. See the brochure:

https://www.india.ford.com/content/d...019-Mobile.pdf

Let me know if I'm wrong. I'm glad they didn't yank out side and curtain airbags, but they've downgraded it enough to make it a deal-breaker.

I've been driving an Ecosport Ecoboost titanium+ (O) all along, so when I go looking for AT in the same segment, Ecosport AT should've been my obvious choice. But now, Venue seems to be a better choice among the two, even though it does feel like a bit of downgrade (no side/curtain airbags and no rear wiper/washer). Again, since this discussion is about AT and the reason we opt for AT is to simplify city-driving, I think Venue DCT beats Ecosport AT hands down in that department because it's much easier in city traffic:
  • Venue's dashboard isn't as deep as Ecosport's
  • Venue's bonnet is visible, Ecosport's isn't
  • Venue has a significantly thinner A pillar compared to Ecosport, offering better visibility

Lack of detail into this arrangement is what troubles me. On the other hand, Hyundai is well entrenched and is doing quite well in India.
The Titanium+ MT is the one losing the features. The AT feature set stays the same. A clarification in this regard was shared on the thread discussing this move by Ford
akhil994 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 14:24   #724
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: -
Posts: 96
Thanked: 315 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisrujan View Post
Are you sure? My understanding is that the titanium+ variant, including the AT version, lost sync3 (including Android Auto / Apple CarPlay), leather seats, cruise control among other things. See the brochure:

https://www.india.ford.com/content/d...019-Mobile.pdf

Let me know if I'm wrong. I'm glad they didn't yank out side and curtain airbags, but they've downgraded it enough to make it a deal-breaker.
Ford has kept Titanium+ AT as is - see https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4600521

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisrujan View Post
I've been driving an Ecosport Ecoboost titanium+ (O) all along, so when I go looking for AT in the same segment, Ecosport AT should've been my obvious choice. But now, Venue seems to be a better choice among the two, even though it does feel like a bit of downgrade (no side/curtain airbags and no rear wiper/washer). Again, since this discussion is about AT and the reason we opt for AT is to simplify city-driving, I think Venue DCT beats Ecosport AT hands down in that department because it's much easier in city traffic
I beg to differ here - one place where Venue DCT is worst at is city driving. Sure, the steering is feather light at low speeds, but the horrible turbo lag and poorly tuned DCT make quick overtakes and filling the gaps in traffic very painful.

On the other hand, EcoSport's TC is quick to respond with no lag lower down - city traffic becomes all the more bearable. Outside city traffic, EcoSport's Sports mode makes it a brisk and more engaging experience on the highways as well.

Honestly, Hyundai is hyping a much inferior automatic experience in the guise of a DCT. I think the only reason Hyundai has gone for a DCT instead of a CVT (which will be offered in the US variant of Venue) is because of the fuel economy figures that India seems to care about so much - it has nothing to do with pleasing an enthusiast
kubectl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 14:35   #725
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubectl View Post
Honestly, Hyundai is hyping a much inferior automatic experience in the guise of a DCT. I think the only reason Hyundai has gone for a DCT instead of a CVT (which will be offered in the US variant of Venue) is because of the fuel economy figures that India seems to care about so much - it has nothing to do with pleasing an enthusiast
To be fair,there isn't much difference between Ecosport & Venue's fuel economy realistically.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th June 2019 at 11:59. Reason: Trimming quoted text
ameyadchule is offline  
Old 11th June 2019, 16:17   #726
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: -
Posts: 96
Thanked: 315 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyadchule View Post
To be fair,there isnt much difference between Ecosport & Venue's fuel economy realistically.
ARAI figures for both -
- EcoSport's TC - 14.8 km/l
- Venue's DCT - 18.15 km/l

Enough to swerve an average Indian buyer I think!
kubectl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 16:23   #727
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubectl View Post
ARAI figures for both -
- EcoSport's TC - 14.8 km/l
- Venue's DCT - 18.15 km/l

Enough to swerve an average Indian buyer I think!
True, thats what is mentioned and I have read that DCT's offer better fuel economy if compaired to TC. But when I test drove Venue,the sales representative surprisingly said that venue would give 8-10 kmpl in cities and 11-14 on highways. Why would he understate?
ameyadchule is offline  
Old 11th June 2019, 17:11   #728
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,795
Thanked: 10,939 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyadchule View Post
True, thats what is mentioned and I have read that DCT's offer better fuel economy if compaired to TC. But when I test drove Venue,the sales representative surprisingly said that venue would give 8-10 kmpl in cities and 11-14 on highways. Why would he understate?
That's an honest salesman. With these petrol automatics in city traffic, don't expect beyond 10kmpl on a regular basis. In a traffic heavy city like Bangalore, don't even look at the MID.

My Vento TSI has an ARAI of close to 17. 8-10 is pretty much the expected mileage in the city.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 17:19   #729
Senior - BHPian
 
Durango Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,267
Thanked: 1,773 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubectl View Post
I beg to differ here - one place where Venue DCT is worst at is city driving. Sure, the steering is feather light at low speeds, but the horrible turbo lag and poorly tuned DCT make quick overtakes and filling the gaps in traffic very painful.
I feel you're overstating the lag, I drove the DCT and felt it was adequately tuned and would be very easy to drive in the urban environs. I think those not used to driving automatics may have a problem modulating throttle inputs. Turbo petrol's are not known for giving great mileage in chocablock traffic.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 11th June 2019 at 17:21.
Durango Dude is offline  
Old 11th June 2019, 17:29   #730
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 194
Thanked: 332 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisrujan View Post
I am exactly in the same boat as you are....

Advices and opinions are given free here and they aren’t ot much help. At the end of the day, you must be happy with your car. Go with the car that brings a smile on your face and when you step in and most importantly after you step out after a drive!
I was in the same situation as you are and was very inclined towards the Ecosport AT (my previous vehicle was the Ecosport Titanium diesel manual). But two things really changed my mind towards the Venue.
1.) The Ecosport is at the end of its lifecycle and the new one will come along in 2020 along with the BSVI (Same as Brezza). XUV 300 was out due to no-automatic.
2.) The announcement of Ford+Mahindra partnership. It can shut shop in India as an independent manufacturer (the brand might retain in India).

The Venue is a brand new generation (design wise, engine wise, transmission wise). The next upgrades of Creta, i20, etc.. will follow the similar design language. The connectivity feature is really slick and I love tech aspect of the car. I do love driving as well. True to the fact Venue does not drive as good as the Ecosport, but its much better than most other models of Hyundai cars and its not too far away from the Ecosport. Space is a little tight in the rear for 3 adults but its perfect for my wife, son & me. Also, my office is in the city so a bigger car was a big no-no.
It totally depends on what you require and what suits you. Happy choosing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I feel you're overstating the lag, I drove the DCT and felt it was adequately tuned and would be very easy to drive in the urban environs. I think those not used to driving automatics may have a problem modulating throttle inputs. Turbo petrol's are not known for giving great mileage in chocablock traffic.
Very true. If you modulate the throttle properly it won't bother at all. It's the same time taken to manually change gear and the same time for turbo petrol motor to kick in. It's all about timing. After a couple of days of driving you get the idea how to modulate the throttle and to what extent, then its fairly easy and there is much more confidence while driving.

Last edited by deepjaju : 11th June 2019 at 17:50.
deepjaju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 17:43   #731
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: -
Posts: 96
Thanked: 315 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I feel you're overstating the lag, I drove the DCT and felt it was adequately tuned and would be very easy to drive in the urban environs. I think those not used to driving automatics may have a problem modulating throttle inputs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
Very true. If you modulate the throttle properly it won't bother at all. It's the same time taken to manually change gear and the same time for turbo petrol motor to kick in. It's all about timing. After a couple of days of driving you get the idea how to modulate the throttle and to what extent, then its fairly easy and there is much more confidence while driving.
Coming from Vento's TSI + DSG, driving the Venue felt very different, to put it mildly. But quite possible that I'm mistaken - I'm basing my observations on the short test drive that I took while you're speaking from ownership experience
kubectl is offline  
Old 11th June 2019, 17:58   #732
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 194
Thanked: 332 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubectl View Post
Coming from Vento's TSI + DSG, driving the Venue felt very different, to put it mildly. But quite possible that I'm mistaken - I'm basing my observations on the short test drive that I took while you're speaking from ownership experience
Now I see why it felt so laggy to you. You drive the TSI+DSG. The sweetest marriage of Engine+Auto transmission of any car in the Indian market. But am sure when you shifted from a manual to an automatic it must have taken a day or two for getting used to the new experience. Its the same learning curve here.
deepjaju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 19:13   #733
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: -
Posts: 96
Thanked: 315 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
Now I see why it felt so laggy to you. You drive the TSI+DSG. The sweetest marriage of Engine+Auto transmission of any car in the Indian market. But am sure when you shifted from a manual to an automatic it must have taken a day or two for getting used to the new experience. Its the same learning curve here.
Hehe, what I meant was that my frame of reference was TSI+DSG - in fact, I bought the Vento after driving Venue But yes, I get your point about the learning curve.

Also, I've been wanting to ask about the air purifier. How does it fair? Is it flimsy and gimmicky or have you actually noticed an improvement in the air quality? Does it reflect the current air quality?
kubectl is offline  
Old 11th June 2019, 19:22   #734
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 194
Thanked: 332 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubectl View Post
Hehe, what I meant was that my frame of reference was TSI+DSG - in fact, I bought the Vento after driving Venue But yes, I get your point about the learning curve.

Also, I've been wanting to ask about the air purifier. How does it fair? Is it flimsy and gimmicky or have you actually noticed an improvement in the air quality? Does it reflect the current air quality?
The air purifier does actually work. It changes colour according to the quality of the air present. Blue is cleanest, green is alright, orange is not good, red is worst. The bad odour goes away much quicker compared to opening the window or sunroof.

There is an option to increase & decrease the fan speed and if there is silence you can hear the hum of the air getting sucked into the filter. But its an easy DIY installation. It covers an entire cup holder though

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th June 2019 at 23:00. Reason: Thanks for sharing. Typo corrected.
deepjaju is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 21:16   #735
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore/Goa
Posts: 10
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs



Amused to see Evo rate Venue higher than Ecosport in terms of sportiness.
PieBull76 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kawasaki Z900 unveiled. EDIT: Launched at Rs 9 lakhs (with accessories) and 7.68 lakhs (without) v12 Superbikes & Imports 239 1st November 2019 12:18
The Hyundai Venue SUV (aka Carlino) volkman10 The Indian Car Scene 494 2nd May 2019 12:00
With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched Samurai The Indian Car Scene 526 25th May 2016 09:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:01.

Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks