Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2019, 09:20   #856
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
On further insistence, he shared the screenshot of an email received from Hyundai. The email states :

This is to inform you all that due to high demand in Denim Blue (TN6) and Deep Forest (RWP) colors in Venue, there is production constraint in these colors and the production of these colors will start only after 22nd of Jul'19.

Now, the underlined portions of this statement are not adding up. If there is high demand of these colours, why not ramp up the production, why wait till 22 Jul. Has Hyundai run out of paint stock ?

Just to give you some perspective about what happens at the plant:

The product manager along with the planning team estimates the demand at variant and colour level. The planning team places an 'order' with the plant for x number of cars to be produced (again at the variant and colour level). This order is generally on a 6-month rolling basis with the demand for the first 2-3 months frozen, with ZERO changes allowed.

Next, the manufacturing / plant / production planning team studies the feasibility of producing those many cars and reach an agreement with the planning team (which internally aligns with the product manager and sales team). Now, the plant team details this order into a daily plan. Generally variants and colours are produced in specific groups / batches to avoid confusion and wastage on the assembly line. You cannot have six different colours being produced one after the other. The process simply cannot support this and thus batches are formed.

Now that you have some understanding of the process, let us understand why changes in the production schedule are not so easy. As i said, the plant team prepares a daily plan for production. This plan is shared with the vendors for parts supply and they in-turn align their production and logistics accordingly. Any change in the production schedule disturbs everything and the Vendors may or may not be able to support the change in plan. Thus, change in schedule is generally not entertained unless it is very very necessary.

Now talking about this specific case where Hyundai says that the colour will be produced from 22nd July. I cannot guarantee the authenticity of this statement but this can be true. May be the next batch for these specific colours are planned after 22nd July only. This is a typical case of demand estimation gone wrong and nothing new in this industry. May be the team estimated the demand for blue colour to be x% and the actual demand is well over x%.

Last edited by tarik.arora : 5th July 2019 at 09:24.
tarik.arora is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 10:01   #857
BHPian

Yesterday I ran into a white Venue for the first time on road. Honestly, I doubt anyone will consider this as a compact SUV, the already thin line between the compact SUV and hatchback notwithstanding. The profile especially makes it appear very small and the rear has way less presence than the already hatchback like Nexon. I will be surprised if this sells anywhere close to Brezza or Creta.

Perhaps, people who like Hyundai cars might find this an alternate to the i20.
prakash_ajp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 10:39   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post

Perhaps, people who like Hyundai cars might find this an alternate to the i20.
I agree. But I hope they launch the i20 with the same Turbo petrol with DTC. That would make one sweet hot hatch. Then, I would personally prefer the i20 over the Venue.
Old 5th July 2019, 10:42   #859

Mod note: Please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead of back to back posts, also please avoid quoting entire large posts for short reply. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Guys, I have a concern and seek your opinion on that.
==========
Attachment 1890131

I understand your anguish but normally the production cycle runs on a relatively longer forecasting window. For example, dealers need to give their broad forecast 2-3 months in advance and the firm one 30-45 days prior. Since production depends on not just the paint like you mentioned but the associated trim options etc. as well, the planning for the required child parts coming from different suppliers too is accordingly lined up. Take the deep forest for instance; its the first time this colour has been introduced and one cannot anticipate for sure what the demand will be like. Post launch, it looks like this colour has really taken off and so they're unable to meet the demand. The already planned production cycle cannot be changed instantaneously since the entire supply chain is linked. Sorry if my explanation makes it sound more complicated. All I want to tell you is that in a newly launched model, its quite possible that such situations occur when it comes to a particular colour/variant. Hoping you get your beauty soon. BEst wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post

Just to give you some perspective about what happens at the plant:
=======
May be the team estimated the demand for blue colour to be x% and the actual demand is well over x%.
Didn't notice that you had already posted an explanation before replying to this same post Perfectly explained!

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th July 2019 at 10:57.
PieBull76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 11:46   #860
BHPian

The reason why Deep Forest is majorly in demand is it's the only color with which you can get khaki interiors on the DCT versions. And the dual tone seriously improves the ambience of the already cramped cabin.
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 19:07   #861
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Venue narrowly misses being the segment leader in June sales . Just 108 units short of the 'only diesel' segment leader Vitara Brezza.

Inter sting to see how the numbers look like when the Brezza will be launched shortly in its petrol variants too.

Vitara Brezza : 8871

Hyundai Venue : 8763

Source:Auto Pundtz
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 22:34   #862
BHPian

So after weeks of deliberation I finally went for a side by side comparison of Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT and Ford EcoSport Titanium+AT. Had no prior appointment in either of them and missus & I simply walked in.

First: Trident Hyundai at Kudlu Gate. Venue SX+ DCT

Walked in and were greeted by an attendant who told us that we would be helped by someone immediately.

- The first thing we noted was how butch the Venue looked, compared to the Creta next to it, from the front. That grill definitely has made things going for it. Very subjective opinion as most seem to hate it, but I liked it. It is, for lack of a better word, distinct. That said, the showroom definitely had placed the Venue on a slightly elevated field compared to the Creta, which made the Venue look higher.

- Sitting inside, the Venue does feel like an i20. Don't expect any miracles here and don't have any high hopes. The missus commented on the legroom, or lack thereof, totally unimpressed. Something to the tune of Maruti cars was said, I was smart to not argue.

- The quality of the interiors is good, and the sunroof looks really chic. Feels overall pretty premium. The missus was happy and sold on them.

- The boot space isn't vast but pretty adequate for occasional outstation trips. Creta's is mammoth!

Now I've mostly spent my time driving stick, except for an occasional test drive on a Baleno, so you can take my experience here, driving DCT, with a pinch of salt.
- The car feels good. It is a tad slow to respond below 2000rpms but beyond that it wakes up with an attitude, and a nice grunt. The steering feels light and is responsive.
- Brakes tend to respond good but with suddenness.

- The drive feels confident and there isn't any issue in bumper to bumper traffic.

- Hill assist is a charm and the torque appreciable on an incline.

- The rear seat is a tad bumpy and the missus commented on that. My driving couldn't have helped matters either.

- A short test drive in traffic and highway was adequate though I would definitely take it for another spin before sealing the deal.
The sales agent was informed, though a tad sedate, but affable. Told us absolutely no discounts whatsoever! Quoted an OTR of INR 13.93 which included a handling charge of INR 3k (so much for the courts ruling it out)!!

Next: JSP Ford. EcoSport Titanium+AT

We reached and were again greeted by an attendant who told us that we would be helped by someone immediately. This sales agent was chirpy and immediately we were forthright on our intentions. We wanted to test drive the Titanium+AT and compare it with the Venue DCT+ before finalizing. But our excitement met with pails of cold water, when the SA informed us that they don't have the test drive car in today!! Apparently, the car was under service and isn't available before Monday. Shucks!
We did check out the interiors of a manual Titanium+, but it's not the same like going for a TD. SYNC3 is missing in the new Titanium+AT, as confirmed by the SA. The SA made a pretty good pitch but when confronted about the price difference compared to the Venue, took out a tablet with a PDF comparing the two specs. Meh. OTR quoted price is INR 14.24 with discounts ~INR 16k. Add to it the extra wheel cover ~INR 12K and one really needs to understand the reason for the extra price! The SA highlighted the below (missing in Venue)
- Paddle shift
- Leather seats
- TCS
- Rear defogger & wiper (which he said with unmatched glee)

Overall, we really missed the EcoSport TD. Could have cleared so many things! Will go again next week to check it out.

Wifey seems to be sold on the Venue, for now. Looks good, feels premium and the drive is fun. Backed by Hyundai's guarantee and history, the EcoSport TD will have to be a game changer to change our collective minds now.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 01:20   #863
BHPian

This is to inform you all that due to high demand in Denim Blue (TN6) and Deep Forest (RWP) colors in Venue, there is production constraint in these colors and the production of these colors will start only after 22nd of Jul'19.

Yes, above email communication from Hyundai is true. Even i got a copy of this email from the dealer. I had booked at MGF Hyundai, Alleppey, Kerala. I was quoted 1 month lead time for delivery. Now its almost 1.5 months since placing order & no sign yet of allocation for my order from Hyundai, let alone delivery.

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-venue.png
Power House is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 07:55   #864
BHPian

C-SUV June 2019 Sales - Autopunditz

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-csuv.jpg
jailbird_fynix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 08:11   #865
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
- Brakes tend to respond good but with suddenness.
So the behaviour of brakes are still the same even after so many long years in the market. I still don’t understand why Hyundai can’t make it work in a way it should. The predictability of braking distance is a complete mess in Hyundai cars. Anyone can say ‘you will get adapted to it’, but I would say it’s a failure to implement something in the correct way. Anyways they are more known in the market for premium feel rather than the non-existing driving feel. Yes, I know people say 1.6D (not related to Venue) is an enthusiast’s engine, but I would say it needs to be accompanied with a better chassis, steering and suspension.

I think people have different set of expectations from different companies, like VFM from Maruti, premium feel from Hyundai, driving feel from Fiat & Ford etc. and as long as a company is able to meet those expectations people are happy.

Last edited by pavi : 7th July 2019 at 08:13.
pavi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 10:22   #866
BHPian

One thing for sure the csuv segment has eaten into the sales of sedan segment. Not a single of sedans crossed the 3k mark. Nexon seems to have taken a hit of 1000 units, Brezza is the hardest hit. However the new entrants have added to the numbers of the segment.
This will ensure no new sedans launch in our market in the 10-15L range for the near future
Old 7th July 2019, 10:37   #867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I think people have different set of expectations from different companies.
The problem is that Hyundai is considered the benchmark amongst small/budget car buyers. Every characteristic, good or bad, is seen as the norm and given a premium angle. Lousy handling, lifeless steering? Nah, that's easy to drive. Overpriced products? Nah, premium products.

Similarly, strong initial bite is associated with strong braking performance. You won't find anyone complain about brakes in the Eon or Grand i10 even though the pedal on both these cars literally works like an ON/OFF switch. No ABS in earlier models made them even more scary.

Last edited by self_driven : 7th July 2019 at 10:49.
self_driven is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 11:16   #868
BHPian

For the first time, I spotted a Venue on Gurgaon roads last evening. I will let the photos do the talking:

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_9840.jpg

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_9844.jpg

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_9847.jpg

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_9846.jpg

One thing I must say is that the Venue zoomed ahead and was nearly out of sight in a matter of seconds!

And then I spotted an Ecosport beside it and was able close in due to the slow traffic ahead of them. Here are photos from a distance and close-up:

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_9849.jpg

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_9850.jpg

The last photo was taken from the centre i.e. right between the 2 vehicles.
CarStruck is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 13:39   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
C-SUV June 2019 Sales - Autopunditz
The falling numbers of EcoSport don't instill much confidence in a prospective buyer's mind. And no Sync3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
One thing for sure the csuv segment has eaten into the sales of sedan segment
I also checked out the Verna in the showroom, and I have to accept the headroom in the rear seat is absolutely atrocious in the Verna compared to both Venue and Creta!
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 18:13   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarStruck View Post

Attachment 1891012

The last photo was taken from the centre i.e. right between the 2 vehicles.
The Ecosport is at least a foot closer to you than the Venue is. But wow, you did manage to take the pic when you were bang in the center of the two cars! I really hope you weren't driving when you played paparazzi.
saisrujan is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed