Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2019, 20:15   #1036
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaranP View Post
A couple of weeks back, I too almost got this warning.

I was driving the car as I would drive a regular torque converter automatic in bumper to bumper traffic - where you don't really care if you let the car creep for long durations without fully releasing the brake. However, the transmission temperature guage gradually climbed to a level which was just below the trigger point. If I would have continued driving in the same manner for even a minute more, the same warning would have definitely triggered.
Hope this helps!
Certainly this enlightened. I didn't know this at all.
Although I'm now wondering, isn't that a bit of a downer? B2B traffic and creeping is the primary reason for which we Indians are now a days buying automatics. Unlike the western world where people drive automatics because they don't always know how to drive manuals or aren't bothered about them at all.

If this DCT starts to get into trouble in city B2B traffic - it would mean extra care (that you mentioned) to be taken all the time while driving (as its always B2B!!) in Mumbai, Delhi, Bengaluru, Pune, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Chennai...and the list just goes on!

Your idea is correct - wait for gap to open and then release the brake. I'm not sure about your area, but doing that would result in one of these two in my part of the world -
  1. Vehicle from the lane besides quickly takes up that gap
  2. Those behind me start honking as if they are all ambulances with patients onboard & I'm blocking them since 1 hour.

The basic AMT does this creep job without complaint no matter how long you are stuck in the traffic. Bummer!

I guess we need to keep an eye for such reports coming in. Didn't hear too many with the GT TSI from VAG etc. If this gets reported often, Hyundai should actually address this in a robust manner. Not far ago that Ford dropped DCT in their cars.

Last edited by Reinhard : 13th August 2019 at 20:31. Reason: Spelling mistake corrected
Reinhard is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 20:28   #1037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

If this DCT starts to get into trouble in city B2B traffic - it would mean extra care (that you mentioned) to be taken all the time while driving (as its always B2B!!)
You're right! I came across this video last year when I was checking out how the dual clutch gearbox works.

This guy clearly explains the 'Don'ts' in a DCT.

KaranP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 09:42   #1038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
I just have a question to those that have received their Venues and have been driving it for a while now - Do you use the connected car features? Does it actually help you or do you believe it is just a gimmick? Would you renew the subscription to those features when the day comes?
Just about crossed 1000km on my Venue DCT. The connected car feature I've been using more often was to check if I actually locked my car. Sometimes I check my driving history to see how much time I took to reach work and how long I've been idling. I want to try the valet features, but I always forgot whenever I gave my car for valet parking.

I tried to use the in-built maps and navigation but it is so inferior to Google Maps that I never got used to it. Voice recognition doesn't work well either (heard a post that there's a software update that resolves this issue).

I have not called the call-center to ask for directions because google maps works quote well through CarPlay / Android Auto. I MAY use the in-built maps when I don't have a phone network. I can't call the call-center then because the included SIM may not have network either.

For now, the value I'm getting out of the "connected car" feature is quite low. Whether or not I start paying for it will depend on how much they charge for it. I may choose to pay for it just for the fact that there's an SOS feature which, hopefully, works. Ford had this feature for free in the Ecosport since 2013. Hyundai will charge for it and call it innovation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaranP View Post
You're right! I came across this video last year when I was checking out how the dual clutch gearbox works.

This guy clearly explains the 'Don'ts' in a DCT.
There was also another video I ran into where someone said that Hyundai made a blunder offering dry-clutch DCT instead of a wet-clutch. The claim is that the dry-clutch gets way hotter much faster and in India's stop-and-go traffic situation and relatively high temperatures in summer, there will be cases of many customers end up with transmission failures. Here's the video:

The service advisor, at the time of delivery, stressed more than once, never to ignore this transmission temperature warning. The protocol is to stop the car for 10 minutes and resume. My assumption is that if you ignore the warning and that results in transmission failure, Hyundai may not entertain warranty claims because they'll have proof that the car alerted the driver and the driver ignored the warning.

This is definitely a cause for worry to owners of the DCT version - I hope these are not the early indicators of a disaster that's waiting to happen. I know I shouldn't be paranoid, but this has been my only worry with this car.

Last edited by saisrujan : 14th August 2019 at 09:56.
saisrujan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 12:27   #1039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisrujan View Post
The service advisor, at the time of delivery, stressed more than once, never to ignore this transmission temperature warning. The protocol is to stop the car for 10 minutes and resume. My assumption is that if you ignore the warning and that results in transmission failure, Hyundai may not entertain warranty claims because they'll have proof that the car alerted the driver and the driver ignored the warning.

This is definitely a cause for worry to owners of the DCT version - I hope these are not the early indicators of a disaster that's waiting to happen. I know I shouldn't be paranoid, but this has been my only worry with this car.
This is now sounding unreal. If this event happening is indeed so common that service advisors are advising customers during handover(!) of brand-new Hyundai Venue DCTs, it will make Skoda's dreaded DQ200 DSG look good in a few months time.

Look at it like this. This variant will be bought overwhelmingly by self-driven folks or at most they will hand it to a chauffeurs on select days only. I doubt if those driving will be able to follow these strict instructions. Cannot imagine what Hyundai was thinking of! On some undivided IN highways, it is downright dangerous to park as there no shoulders or parking lanes.

Last edited by itwasntme : 14th August 2019 at 12:34.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 15:48   #1040
BHPian

I did about 4 test drives of the DCT 1.0 Turbo Petrol and it seemed quite enthusiastic to drive. This happens though only post 2000rpm when the turbo spools up. The bottom end response is ok.
My concern as mentioned by others is the heating of DCT transmissions in bumper to bumper traffic. The top end SX+ DCT does not come cheap at 14L and the only other variant is the S DCT (11.4 L) which is average equipped and does need a plethora of aftermarket accessories to up the game.
Does anyone here think that the S DCT variant makes sense to buy? I'm on the look out for a decent sub 4 m automatic and unable to decide.

The Ecosport Auto is too far a stretch at 14.3L on road - Bangalore and misses out on Sync3!
The Nexon AMT is a real downer and a the Swift AMT is so much better tuned. Owning a swift, I would like to jump to the next segment.
The Venue S seems like the only fly in the ointment, but misses out on essentials such as rear wiper, climate control, adjustable headrests and 60/40 split seats. Suggestions from all welcome! I'm one super confused soul now!
Old 14th August 2019, 16:05   #1041
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advenk999 View Post
Suggestions from all welcome! I'm one super confused soul now!
Looking at your post it seems that you have pretty much zeroed in on the Venue & no other car is going to impress you. .

I'd suggest you to spend more and go for the DCT SX+ in that case. If you are willing to own the car for more than 5 years - its okay to spend more once & be happy longer IMHO.

If you replace a Swift with a Venue S without the bells and whistles - you'll spend a lot of calories afterwards only in convincing yourself that you did actually "upgrade". Mostly you won't be convinced at the end of it. Swift is a good car .

Its a bit of a surprise to know about Nexon's AMT performance. I have never driven it of course - but all the reviews I read / watched on YouTube always said the Nexon's AMT tuning was very good & easy to live with.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 18:55   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Looking at your post it seems that you have pretty much zeroed in on the Venue & no other car is going to impress you. .

I'd suggest you to spend more and go for the DCT SX+ in that case. If you are willing to own the car for more than 5 years - its okay to spend more once & be happy longer IMHO.

If you replace a Swift with a Venue S without the bells and whistles - you'll spend a lot of calories afterwards only in convincing yourself that you did actually "upgrade". Mostly you won't be convinced at the end of it. Swift is a good car
Excellent points. If you are looking for a car upgrade, then definitely it needs to have a decent amount of bells and whistles in the new car. If you are planning to have the car for longer time, say 5-6 years, then within the selected new car, pick the variant which you feel will not make you feel bored after 1-2 years. Saving a few 1000's now by picking a lower variant, will not be convincing to you on the longer run and make you think about moving to a new car, well before the 5-6 years period.

Talking about this from my personal experience. Got a XUV 500 W6 and realized after 2-3 years that I should have gone for the W8 Automatic (which also had 6 airbags). Now I have decided to move to Seltos and have zeroed in on GTX Auto variant. Will finalize either GTX or GTX+, depending on the availability of all black interiors. I am planning to keep this car for next 5 years at least. I might feel bad, if I eventually pick GTX Auto and crib about missing Bose, Ventilated Seats and Sunroof. But atleast I will be happy that 2 of my MUST boxes (Auto and 6 airbags) is ticked.

Will follow a similar process, when we will be upgrading my wife's KWID AMT with an EV in 2020.

If you have zeroed in on Venue, rethink the variant which will make you feel good after 2-3 years also. Venue is a fantastic car and is one of the hot selling cars currently along with MG Hector and potentially Kia Seltos.

Last edited by MukundanMK : 14th August 2019 at 18:58.
MukundanMK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 09:19   #1043
BHPian

Thank you for your that wise suggestion. I generally keep a car for over 5 years. My Swifty has completed 7 years and is running butter smooth at 83k kms

Back in 2012, I wasn't wise enough to pick the Z trim due to my constraint, but regret the V trim not having airbags or abs. This is my first car, bought with love and that feeling of letting go is very difficult. It is the perfect car in terms of performance, Dynamics and driveability.

The itch for an auto has been hitting me hard. The DCT does tick all my requirements but my concern has been the reliability.
I can fortunately stretch the budget to the SX+, but at 14L, our man still misses out the rear wiper, split seats and a central arm rest
This variant also comes with just 2 airbags at this price and I have a feeling that this price is lurking in the Seltos' territory. I also felt the sunroof eating into the headroom. SX + owners feedback on this regard appreciated!
This is also the BS4 engine version, and prices would definitely be jacked up once it moves to BS6.
This is where the confusion has started!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th August 2019 at 09:33. Reason: Smileys = 2/post.
Old 15th August 2019, 09:54   #1044
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
I'd

I can fortunately stretch the budget to the SX+, but at 14L, our man still misses out the rear wiper, split seats and a central arm rest
This variant also comes with just 2 airbags at this price and I have a feeling that this price is lurking in the Seltos' territory. I also felt the sunroof eating into the headroom. SX + owners feedback on this regard appreciated!
This is also the BS4 engine version, and prices would definitely be jacked up once it moves to BS6.
ed!

Hyundai truly have been fools to have a spec like this. After all the car costs 13.5-14 lacs and these
simple features would not add much cost to them if they were to include them.

In comparison the Mahindra XUV300 is way way better value. A colleague of mine bought the top spec and it is absolutely loaded with features.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 22:06   #1045

Quote:
:
This is where the confusion has started!
I own the sx(o) manual but I can help you out with the sunroof situation, I'm 5"7', and I tend to keep the seat height to tallest, and I have about 10 cm of room left. But what I do notice is that the line where windshield ends and roof starts creeps more into my peripheral vision than what I'm used to.
Old 16th August 2019, 11:10   #1046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hyundai truly have been fools to have a spec like this. After all the car costs 13.5-14 lacs and these
simple features would not add much cost to them if they were to include them.

In comparison the Mahindra XUV300 is way way better value. A colleague of mine bought the top spec and it is absolutely loaded with features.

-XUV300 doesn't come in an AT version yet (no AMT at this price point doesn't count)
-Its boot space is abysmal
-Its over priced
ValarMorghulis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 08:35   #1047
Team-BHP Support

Further to the problems reported in this post, Anand Munnolli has an update.

Quote:
Further update to my issues with Hyundai Venue 1.0 t-gdi manual transmission car:

Request people to put their purchase on hold.

My car broke down twice on NICE road last weekend with the Engine Malfunction Light ON and it just doesn't go beyond 65 km/h. It vibrates like a mini-truck with a very rough noise.

Upon reaching Sarjapur, I also found that rear left door refused to close. The latch was misaligned for no reason. Called up Hyundai RSA and the call didn't get through. There was only a blank response.

Called up the service advisor and area manager and complained. Luckily, one of the service centers was on Sarjapur Road and I was at Sarjapur Circle. Asked my wife to hold the rear left door and slowly drove to the service center. The mechanic fixed the door latch issue with a screw driver and confirmed it was misaligned and should be replaced under warranty. Now, the car was put on a bay and OBD scanning found that injector was misfiring. I had attached a screenshot for people who might be interested in it. Initially, they thought it was a spark plug issue and replaced all 3 and one coil. Took a test drive and it seemed good. Until this, it took 4 hours. Now, started back towards home on NICE road again. After about 15 km, the same issue recurred and I recorded a video this time for a proof of failure. Stopped for 10 minutes, restarted and seemed good to go. In between, the engine malfunction light blinked twice again. Since it was late in the evening, I reached home somehow.

Next day, the car was driven to another Hyundai service station and they did a combined test drive till Nelamangala. The issue simulated and they agreed to change the injectors. Three injectors were replaced and I took a test drive on the following day. Now, the drive seemed good. The same day, I took door delivery of my Venue. The car was standing still for a couple of days except for a couple of km drive to school.

Today, Saturday, I have driven it to Metro mall which is around 10 km from home. The onward drive was good and on return, just 200 m before my home, the engine malfunction light came on. The car vibrates badly and rough engine sound has started. The car refuses to go beyond 15 km/h. Yes 15 km/h! Immediately, I took a video and called up SA. He arranged a home checkup and found a new error code related to throttle body malfunction. The vehicle is at the service center now for replacement of throttle body. I am writing this email while waiting for a fix. Final word, my car has done just 2,060 km. Yes less than 2,200 km.
Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_20190811_122658018.jpg

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_20190817_170605961_burst000_cover_top.jpg
Aditya is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 08:42   #1048
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
-XUV300 doesn't come in an AT version yet (no AMT at this price point doesn't count)
-Its boot space is abysmal
-Its over priced

Well all of these vehicles with the seats up have poor boot space.
But spec for spec the XUV300 offers much more in terms of features than the Hyundai Venue does.

The three or four little things that I have highlighted here - Hyundai could and ought to have offered in their 13.5 lac 1 litre Turbo AT version. It would not have hurt them to offer these, in terms of cost.

1.split fold rear seats
2.rear wiper
3. 6-7 airbags
4. Passenger seat height adjustment

And the owners of this car would have been pleased.

Manufacturers ought to do what they can in these ways and not skimp like this especially in a depressed market scenario.

And if the AT version is otherwise the same as the Top Spec MT then why not load all the Top Spec MT features into the AT too?

There are after all, many evolved consumers out there!
Old 18th August 2019, 11:03   #1049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
-Its over priced
Well priced isn't a term I'll associate with the Venue, especially the higher 1.0-litre petrol trims. For someone considering the 11.10 lakh rupee Venue 1.0 DCT, I think the XUV300 W8 AMT isn't way off the mark. The price difference is roughly 40k ex-showroom, for which one gets a larger diesel engine, much lower running costs (around ₹4/km lesser) and a decently kitted variant with 60:40 split seat and rear wash wipe. At least personally, till the time Hyundai offers a SX(O) DCT variant, I would prefer the XUV300 W8 AMT for the overall package.

PS. I haven't driven either of the two variants but a short stint in the Brezza AMT proved that the lag between gearshifts is better contained than in smaller capacity petrol engines. Now the Brezza had a 1.3 diesel infamous for its turbo lag and I expect the XUV300 to fare much better in overall drivability.

Last edited by self_driven : 18th August 2019 at 11:11.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 13:21   #1050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Further to the problems reported in this post, Anand Munnolli has an update.
I would strongly suggest we start a dedicated problems thread for Venue, so that any new buyer can make an informed decision.

This is more than a niggle and serious issue with Venue.
dadu is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks