Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2019, 11:09   #151
BHPian

re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

OK, so lemme be a spoilsport and ask:
What constitutes a C-SUV in the Indian market?

-Can't be the length, it is <4m and most hatchbacks are there too.
-Can't be height. Wagon-R at 1660mm stands taller than all except EcoSport.
-Can't be bootspace. Baleno has higher than XUV300 or Brezza.

-Can't be ground clearance. i20 Active has 190mm.

So the mantra is width? So is that it? Make a wider car and it qualifies for being called a C-SUV?
Something is rotten in Denmark!
ValarMorghulis is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 11:37   #152
Bee
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
OK, so lemme be a spoilsport and ask:
What constitutes a C-SUV in the Indian market?

I think it's all the things combined. More like a jack of all trades and master of none.
4 meters of length, 180mm+ ground clearance, wider body and to some extent the overall stance. As a general trend, they have a different design overall as well (barring the nexon which seems more hatch like). Boxy design with cladding and butcher front which certainly provided them with more road presence.
Although, Venue does seem to foray into the new mini-csuv segment owing to its dimensions which at the end just blurs the lines even more.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th May 2019 at 11:42. Reason: quote content trimmed
Old 10th May 2019, 11:51   #153
BHPian

Noticed this. Though Engine specs doesn't have mention about 1.0 Turbo unit.

But interesting to see dimensional comparison.

Old 10th May 2019, 12:00   #154
BHPian

I am a little confused by the Hyundai's AT strategy and choice of DCT here. Ford tried and said there were reliability issues, VW continues to face that. Even Hyundai, in its higher end cars in India uses TC gearboxes. In USA in December, they moved from DCT gearbox in Tucson to TC gearbox. So, why is it being launched in India?

Their AMT is probably the best in the market. Why not focus on one of TC or CVT and improve on the single digit mileage they give on i10 and i20 instead if launching different variations and hoping something sticks. Hyundai is the only manufacturer I know who has now tried all 4 TC, DCT, CVT and AMT. This strategy is extremely confusing.
autorahul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 13:11   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
With time at my Hands, tried to draw a correlation of the sizes of the Venue's Competition. (Matched the Width & Height to the exact Pixel size of the boxes below) Turns out Venue is not in the same field as the Biggies of the bunch
Any details available on the kerb weight? I have booked the 1.0 SX MT. Wanted to make some power to weight ratio calculations for the turbo.

Last edited by SmartCat : 11th May 2019 at 23:07. Reason: quoted post trimmed
anil_neo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 14:06   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubectl View Post
Let us know how it goes. For what it's worth, I just checked with Trident Hyundai in Bangalore about the cancellation of booking and they told me that I needed to mail them the screenshot of booking and they will process the refund in 5-6 days.
Thank you for sharing this. I am sure it will be helpful. I received a call from someone in Hyundai who sounded like one of their call center resources. As he pretty much repeated what I had written in my email and read a script. Anyway, he has promised a call from Hyundai's regional team. Let's see how it goes.
Old 10th May 2019, 14:14   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
I am a little confused by the Hyundai's AT strategy and choice of DCT here.
The only 3 reason I can think of are

First: This might be how the engine was designed from early stages and for other markets, does not make sense to change the transmission only for India. Not sure if this is offered with any other automatic any where else in the world.

Second could be they have sunk a lot of money on this tech and need a place to sell and reduce their investment hit. We all know India is kind of dumping ground for tech for many companies.

And last, No legal repercussion in India if things don't work as intended. They can wash their hands off on many things.
They have a good brand equity in Market and failure of one automatic will not hurt them much. this can be their place to experiment.
aniyo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 15:48   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
I am a little confused by the Hyundai's AT strategy and choice of DCT here. Ford tried and said there were reliability issues, VW continues to face that. Even Hyundai, in its higher end cars in India uses TC gearboxes. In USA in December, they moved from DCT gearbox in Tucson to TC gearbox. So, why is it being launched in India?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
First: This might be how the engine was designed from early stages and for other markets, does not make sense to change the transmission only for India. Not sure if this is offered with any other automatic any where else in the world.
They have been offering this very DCT + 1.0 L engine combo on i20 and Kona in international markets for quite some time and I didn't find a lot of complaints about it online.
Performance is great as well - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4570911 (The Hyundai Venue SUV (aka Carlino))

Last edited by kubectl : 10th May 2019 at 15:50.
Old 10th May 2019, 15:51   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
And last, No legal repercussion in India if things don't work as intended. They can wash their hands off on many things.
Very true, not to mention the method of "Goodwill warranty" replacement, where company acts as if they are doing customer a favour by replacing poorly made component.

I do wish we get good automatics with efficient petrol engines, something that doesn't exist in our market.
Old 11th May 2019, 12:14   #160
Senior - BHPian

If Hyundai thinks of making a Exclusive Convertible of its Venue, it could look like this.

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-hyundaivenueconvertible_696x391.jpg

It will do decent numbers if launched in future.

Source
CarguyNish is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2019, 14:10   #161
BHPian

Nice to see Hyundai finally bring a turbo. I drove the Kia Rio with the same engine in 99hp version, didn't feel any turbo lag whatsoever. The engine loved to be revved and has good torque available in the low end unlike the dull 1.2NA engine.
sabby_4c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2019, 15:41   #162
BHPian

Will be test driving this keenly and do a back to back with the ecosport

The absence of a fully kitted auto is a bummer

Slightly off topic - I am curious about the 3 cylinder 1.0L turbo charged engines. They are definitely here to stay.

How much difference would that make in terms of cost and weight vs an inline 4 cylinder 1.2 L turbo. (let us for a moment leave aside the R&D expenses)

Wouldn't a 4 cylinder 1.2 running with the same turbo and boost levels yield more power, be a bit more rev friendly and have a tad more low end torque (before the turbo really kicks in)?
Old 11th May 2019, 19:48   #163
BHPian

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar21 View Post

Wouldn't a 4 cylinder 1.2 running with the same turbo and boost levels yield more power, be a bit more rev friendly and have a tad more low end torque (before the turbo really kicks in)?

The basic premise of a 1L 3 cylinder petrol turbo engine is to deliver better FE, better emissions while not compromising on performance. A 2 cylinder engine would have even a better FE. A tech that Ford has employed in the western ecoboost 1.0 where the engine uses only 2 cylinders when it's cruising (cylinder de-activation).
Engine downsizing as well as cylinder downsizing seems to the norm followed worldwide with the advent of turbo.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2019, 21:41   #164
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview

A little surprised by a lot of comments on the dimensions of the Venue! Some people even comparing it with the Ignis!
While the Venue may be marginally smaller in dimensions compared to the Brezza, I think its got road presence and stance which makes up for it. My view is that 5-10mm may not change things.
Remember, even the Creta is not the longest or tallest in its class.

Also, even if you park the Brezza next to a Swift or Grand i10 or the ignis, you may be surprised as to how close it is to these hatchbacks! I see such instances in my apartment parking lot and its understandable since some of these hatchbacks are pretty tall as well!

Hyundai would have and should have done their homework, I doubt if Venue would fail or not do well due its dimensions. If it does not generate at least 5k monthly sales then it may be down to other factors such as Price and variant level equipment list etc.
motorworks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2019, 23:34   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
A little surprised by a lot of comments on the dimensions of the Venue! Some people even comparing it with the Ignis!
While the Venue may be marginally smaller in dimensions compared to the Brezza, I think its got road presence and stance which makes up for it. My view is that 5-10mm may not change things.
Remember, even the Creta is not the longest or tallest in its class.......
Totally agree, there are indeed far too many such comments bordering on silly, akin to staring at the Monalisa and whining that it should've been a size bigger (I am not comparing Venue to the Monalisa, but you get the idea!!).

Both Venue and XUV 300 are two strong positives for the market in recent times. They bring in so many new things to that segment, and are setting new benchmarks. I remember XUV300 faced similar brickbats here on the price point, thankfully the market seems to have recognized the value it offers. Yes, I say 'thankfully', even though I have no plans to buy any of these. VW and Ford are winding up, Toyota will soon be a badge making facility. Perhaps these are some strong indicators for what's to come.

Last edited by 2cents : 11th May 2019 at 23:36.
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks