Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2019, 11:11   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Right now only Xcent looks like an afterthought from a design front in the Hyundai portfolio, maybe sub4M SUV is the perfect replacement for a compact sedan.

The other day a friend of mine was admiring a Creta pass by and he said, Hyundai simply makes the most well done product of them all.

I have not seen venue on the road yet, how is the stance? Have they got it right?
Old 25th May 2019, 11:15   #467
Senior - BHPian

I'd be happier if they can introduce the Turbo Petrol in Creta, Verna & i20 as well.
Had a Santro which gave me 14kmpl on bad traffic (Santro was rated for under 18 kmpl) & i20 that my brother uses for extremely short distances, still manages 12kmpl.
If the turbo petrol gives 14kmpl in real world I'm sold.
Old 25th May 2019, 12:15   #468
Team-BHP Support

ACI is praising the Venue's 1.0, both the engine as well as the GB. True?
Old 25th May 2019, 12:43   #469
BHPian

I visited a Hyundai dealer today, primarily to check the fuel efficiency of Venue 1.0 Dct .

The car was showing an average efficiency of 6.7kmpl before I reset it , that was over several test drives totalling 67kms by various people .

The fuel efficiency at the end of my efficiency check drive was 9.7 km / litre over a 7 km sedate drive . So the expected efficiency is 8-9 in bumper to bumper traffic , 10-11 in usual city drives and 15-17 on the highway runs .

Other observations :-
a)The suspension is stiff for pothole ridden or uneven stretches , every unevenness on the road was felt .
b) Weird engine clatter on cold startup , although for two minutes only .
c) Decent engine gearbox combination .
d) The horn is very meek .
e) The car has to be parked to connect the phone .
f) Barring the drl all the lights are yellow which shall not appease the class of the people Hyundai is targeting with this product .
g) The front handrest upon moved forward in the SX(o) felt weak and unstable .
h) Music system performance is mediocre .

Few questions the sales representatives could not answer:-
1) kerb weight of the car
2) fuel tank capacity
3) timeline for availability of colours , to check in person .
.Albatross. is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 13:26   #470
Senior - BHPian

Was at Honda showroom today for my Jazz's first service. After the price declaration of Venue, I had a small doubt in my mind, if I should have waited one more month before spending ~10.6L on the Jazz? Hyundai showroom is around a kilometre away from there, so hopped in to check out the car. Being a weekend, showroom was buzzing with activity and whole crowd concentrated on just one car. No points for guessing which one

Spent some good time checking out different aspects of the vehicle and comparing vis-a-vis the other cars which I test drove in last couple of months.

Build quality
: It doesn't feel as solid as Nexon or EcoSport. Period!!! But yeah slightly better than Jazz and i20. However parts like seat height adjuster feel pretty flimsy. The one in jazz feels better to operate. Panel gaps although okay aren't really tight. Here are some which caught my attention right away. Although not really too bad but seeing the price point (~14L OTR Bangalore for DCT and 13.3L manual 1.0) expected better finish.

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_20190525_111719.jpg

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_20190525_111733.jpg

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_20190525_111705.jpg

Space: The car is small no doubt. Inside it feels smaller than my Jazz, Nexon and even the EcoSport. Legroom is at super premium at the rear. I am 5'8" for reference. After adjusting driver seat to my usual position, here's the legroom at the backseat.
Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_20190525_111507.jpg

Post that another person around 5'10/11" adjusted driver seat and the legroom reduced further
Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_20190525_111551.jpg

I didn't remember even i20 being so tight, so quickly hopped in an i20 active to check and indeed it felt better in this aspect. Here's the legroom in i20 active for reference behind my own driving position.
Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_20190525_112116.jpg

The probable reason for this is the increased bootspace. That's pretty good at 350L. At same 4m length i20 has 280L and this has almost 25% bigger boot at the cost of rear seat legroom. Hyundai should have made it sliding and given the customers an option to set it as per their requirement. Fitting 3 at the back would be tough. It's best for 2adults plus a kid at best. So anyone going for this please do check the space aspect.

Looks: It does look good from outside specially darker shades.

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_20190525_111957.jpg

But lighter shades lack presence (silver, white)

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_20190525_111758.jpg

Alloys look next level

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_20190525_111820.jpg

Smaller spare wheel was from hancook brand . 195/65 size 15 inch.

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_20190525_110856.jpg

Features: That's something where this car will sell well. Most of the folks in showroom were smitten by the sunroof. Wonder where in Bangalore they would use it with so much pollution all around, never the less this feature seems to be a hit in our market. However sad to see a 14L 1.0 DCT(Bangalore OTR) won't come with a rear wiper washer. Absolutely not done Hyundai.

Couldn't test drive the car as the queue was long and people were barely getting a 10 min drive. Way too less. However took a snapshot of the mileage figures of the DCT test drive car.
Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_20190525_114242.jpg

I remember i20 CVT test drive car showed 7kmpl. Going by figures posted by owners here in i20 CVT thread, this DCT doesn't look like being any better maybe 1-2kmpl more making it ~10kmpl in city(Bangalore) traffic.

Price list for Bangalore.

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_20190525_132154.jpg

Last edited by SoumenD : 25th May 2019 at 13:52.
SoumenD is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 16:24   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Smaller spare wheel was from hancook brand . 195/65 size 15 inch.
Is this by design or by error? Why give 4 MRF Wanderers and the other a Hankook? Is it because the size is different, so it doesn't matter?
Old 25th May 2019, 16:34   #472
BHPian

So the remote start functionality is only available with the 1.0 DCT. No use waiting for the Venue then. The remote start is the reason why I overlooked the shortage of interior space and missing features from SX variant, but EcoSport and Nexon seems a better deal now, both have more powerful 1.5L motors, but I'll still test drive the diesel, maybe it has something to offer for me, which I couldn't find while watching the ACI review.

Can anyone explain why it's not possible to implement remote start in manual cars? I was kinda hoping it would make way to the diesel, but no.

Also, does anybody have the Kerala on road prices?
Old 25th May 2019, 17:40   #473
Senior - BHPian

Had prebooked the Diesel sxo but cancelled it today for the following reasons:

1) Cramped rear seat
2) Extremely slow engine vis a vis the competition
3) Smaller cheaper spare tyre
4) No insulation under the bonnet

Hyundai - You seem to be cheapening the experience. Even your I 20 felt more premium.

What a shame since I was so looking forward to the Venue.
Lalvaz is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 18:05   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post

Can anyone explain why it's not possible to implement remote start in manual cars? I was kinda hoping it would make way to the diesel, but no.
It's not so much about possibility but more about safety and feasibility. In an automatic, the transmission is sure to be in neutral and Park position. So it is OK to crank the engine. In manual transmission, the over whelming tendency is to keep the transmission in gear when parked. It's even recommended along with use of hand brake. And you obviously cannot crank an engine while in gear for obvious reasons.
niteshbids is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 18:13   #475
Senior - BHPian

Just saw the test drive Venue in white.
It doesn't look small for the class (sub-4 meter). Yes it's smaller than Brezza, but perfectly usable for small family of average proportions, & those upgrading from small cars.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 18:56   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
ACI is praising the Venue's 1.0, both the engine as well as the GB. True?
Depends

I had loads of fun driving the 1.0 DCT in manual mode but auto mode is very sluggish because of 2 reasons -
- turbo lag can last upto 2600 RPM
- DCT does not hold gears at all

So you're always in turbo lag in bumper-to-bumper traffic, so no quick overtakes because of poor throttle response and turbo lag - which translates to about 2 seconds of lag in response from the engine after you depress the pedal.

If you're mostly on highways, you'll enjoy the DCT - but it's not the one for daily commute.

If I had to get a Venue, I'd get the 1.0 engine with manual transmission so as to evade the horrible low-end tuning of the DCT.

I found a video on YouTube echoing my driving experience -

This video is, well, weird at a lot of levels but the observations are on point.

Last edited by kubectl : 25th May 2019 at 19:10.
kubectl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 19:24   #477
BHPian

Quote:
The car is small no doubt. Inside it feels smaller than my Jazz, Nexon and even the EcoSport. Legroom is at super premium at the rear. I am 5'8" for reference. After adjusting driver seat to my usual position, here's the legroom at the backseat.
Thanks for sharing the rear seat legroom comparison photos! Earlier in the thread, another BHPian mentioned that 2 six footers can easily sit one behind the other in this car, which doesn't seem to be case.

I feel Hyundai has deliberately kept the Venue smaller than the competition (like the EcoSport or XUV300), so that it can without a doubt look much smaller than the Creta when viewed side by side in the showrooms. This would ensure that people looking for a bigger CSUV would still go for the Creta. If the Venue was slightly bigger then it would've lured some customers away from the Creta
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 19:41   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Thanks for sharing the rear seat legroom comparison photos! Earlier in the thread, another BHPian mentioned that 2 six footers can easily sit one behind the other in this car.
Seeing different views got me confused as well and hence decided to check it out myself. But then a lot depends on your driving style as well. I have seen quite a few people driving in an upright position pretty close to the steering wheel. Maybe for them the legroom would seem adequate. But I have a relaxed driving position, so found it really tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
I feel Hyundai has deliberately kept the Venue smaller than the competition (like the EcoSport or XUV300), so that it can without a doubt look much smaller than the Creta when viewed side by side in the showrooms. This would ensure that people looking for a bigger CSUV would still go for the Creta. If the Venue was slightly bigger then it would've lured some customers away from the Creta
In that case why take the pain of bringing a new product with so much investment and releasing it globally? Add to that new engine gearbox combo as well? What I feel is, Creta's success went to their head and they presumed being a Hyundai they can sell anything here. In international markets, I doubt this would have much takers. It's really cramped for space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post

Hyundai - You seem to be cheapening the experience. Even your I 20 felt more premium.
Absolutely with you on this. i20 seems more premium compared to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Is this by design or by error? Why give 4 MRF Wanderers and the other a Hankook? Is it because the size is different, so it doesn't matter?
Well that's common with other manufacturers as well. My jazz came with 4 Bridgestones (15") but the smaller spare wheel (14") is a MRF. Probably they are trying to tell us that spare wheel is not another wheel, rather just an emergency substitute to let you reach the next Tyre shop , who knows.

Last edited by SoumenD : 25th May 2019 at 19:46.
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 20:00   #479
BHPian

Quote:
In that case why take the pain of bringing a new product with so much investment and releasing it globally? Add to that new engine gearbox combo as well? What I feel is, Creta's success went to their head and they presumed being a Hyundai they can sell anything here. In international markets, I doubt this would have much takers. It's really cramped for space.
I've seen EcoSport's review from global markets where people usually prefer big proper SUVs, the reviewers don't really care about the EcoSport due to its smaller size relative to what they're used to. I wonder if the Venue would be seen as just a raised hatchback in those markets, which to be fair what exactly cars in this category are.

My point was that Hyundai seems to want to safeguard the Creta by making the Venue visibly smaller. Who knows, they might raise the Venue's prices and slot it into Creta territory when the facelift Creta is launched with increased prices down the line. Going by the number of bookings Venue has garnered, it's already a blockbuster!
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 20:21   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshbids View Post
It's not so much about possibility but more about safety and feasibility. In an automatic, the transmission is sure to be in neutral and Park position. So it is OK to crank the engine. In manual transmission, the over whelming tendency is to keep the transmission in gear when parked. It's even recommended along with use of hand brake. And you obviously cannot crank an engine while in gear for obvious reasons.
Im sorry to go Offtopic but one more small question lingers in mind, can't they just implement the feature and also add a safety mechanism wherein it will only start if the gear is in neutral? If they get the remote start into the diesel, then I'm ready to suffer inferior interior space.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed