Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2019, 20:57   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post

My point was that Hyundai seems to want to safeguard the Creta by making the Venue visibly smaller. Who knows, they might raise the Venue's prices and slot it into Creta territory when the facelift Creta is launched with increased prices down the line. Going by the number of bookings Venue has garnered, it's already a blockbuster!
I was one of those who booked online during the pre launch phase. After seeing the car in person I cancelled. I’m told that many others are cancelling due to the cramped interior. That’s a total show stopper for many. What made things worse for me was the really bad 0-100 timing of the Diesel engine as compared to its peers. So don’t keep your hopes pinned on the record bookings alone. Let’s see actual deliveries please.
Lalvaz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 20:59   #482
BHPian

So I finally test drove the venue automatic today.
Pros:
1. It looks sweet! Those alloys are drool worthy. The DRLs are very sleek and look elegant beyond limit! It also doesn’t look as small as a lot of people made it out to be; at least not to me. I was pleasantly surprised by the external dimensions of the car, as I was prepared to see a santro dressed as a venue.
2. The interiors seem very high quality, at least in the front half of the car.
3. The car is loaded quite well.
4. A good seating position is easy to find.
5. The steering is quite good. I am used to an i20’s steering and I liked venue’s.

And now the cons, and this list is long. After driving the car, I have lost faith in Autocar as well as dino’s Vault. Their videos seem like paid adverts now, esp dino’s in which one could see the weird shifting of the gearbox in manual mode. My kodiaq for instance, drops the rpm and the gear as soon as I hit the paddle, which should be mimicked by the lever in the venue. However, the rpm continues to be up, while the MID shows the shift has happened already. And Dino pretty much said it’s slick. I am really confused as to how they liked it.

Cons:
1. Turbo lag; Bucket loads of turbo lag. The car feels dead below 1600 rpm. My i20 Petrol feels livelier, and that’s quite a statement. This car would be sheer torture in traffic. It does come alive post 2000 rpm but the shove isn’t exciting. I am tempted to drive the ecoboost now, which I haven’t yet as I was looking for an automatic but now I feel like checking it out to see if their implementation of a 1 ltr turbo charged engine is just as bad. I have started believing in “there’s no replacement for displacement” more than ever now.
2. Grand i10: it feels a step below the i20, for sure! It feels smaller, although might be just as spacious as the i20. It feels like a grand i10 cross, especially from the back. From the inside too, it doesn’t feel like a 13 lakh car. May be I am spoilt by the i20, so I should probably say that it doesn’t feel like a 13 lakh Hyundai.
3. Stiff suspension: the suspension is so stiff that I actually got the SA to check the tyre pressure. It was 32 psi. The ride is super bouncy at slow speeds, and it was a big big turnoff for me. It’s one of the worst rides that I have experienced in any car. Almost makes me wonder if something was wrong with the test car.
4. Dct: the character of the dct here is very very weird. It almost feels as if it slips the clutch way too much because even after upshifting, the revs are held for almost a second or so. That’s very off putting.
5. The touch screen system, although very crisp, feels aftermarket due to its shape and thickness. It doesn’t have the nice rugged look of the ecosport’s touch screen.
6. Rear seat plastics feel really really cheap. There’s no padding on the rear door hand rests and that takes away all the premium character that is formed at the front.
7. Loud engine: the engine is LOUD. My first car was a beat which is an incredibly refined petrol car. Had a city, an altis which are very refined petrol cars as well. The kodiaq is very quiet for a diesel and the i20 is also a very silent car, less than beat though IMO. The venue has the typical 3 cylinder start up vibration and rumble which is much more pronounced than in the dragon 1.5 of the ecosport. The engine is loud on the move too! Now whether that is due to bad insulation or loud motor is something that I didn’t bother to find, as whatever the reason may be, I was put off. It was louder than my kodiaq, which I think is the absolute maximum that I can take.
8. No rear wash and no sliding armrest. I understand the lack of 6 airbags as they want to differentiate their models, as well as control costs, but a sliding armrest and rear wash wipe are essentials and they mustn’t cost so much. Both of these are deal breakers to me, but I would have overlooked them if the car drove really well.

Overall, I had prebooked the venue dct and I am going to cancel my booking for sure. I was excited for the car and now I’ll most probably get the Verna or the ecosport. One last test drive remains.

PS: the aforementioned pros and cons are strictly my personal opinions and I do not mean any offence to anyone who might feel offended by any of the above. I do not mean to influence anyone either, and I am in no way associated with any magazine, car manufacturer, or any organisation that might have an ulterior motive in spreading hate for this latest Hyundai offspring.
bled_soul is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 21:34   #483
Senior - BHPian

Seems like my wish is being fulfilled as Hyundai could introduce turbo petrol in i20 & Verna to start with

http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/h...n-near-future/

Mods what's the probability
Old 25th May 2019, 22:01   #484

I had made an advance booking for the Hyundai Venue by paying INR20000 to the showroom. After the release of the vehicle and looking at the pricing for the options that I am looking for, I am thinking of taking back my advance booking money which is fully refundable. Any thoughts on if I should stick with my booking?
Old 25th May 2019, 22:17   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing Singh View Post
I had made an advance booking for the Hyundai Venue by paying INR20000 to the showroom. After the release of the vehicle and looking at the pricing for the options that I am looking for, I am thinking of taking back my advance booking money which is fully refundable. Any thoughts on if I should stick with my booking?
In my view you should take back the refund.

I repeat again what i mentioned earlier - the Venue is not a (compact) SUV. Far from that.

Infact, the Venue is more or less a premium hatchback disguised as an SUV.

For the kind of money being asked for, its would be more prudent to go for proper sub 4m SUVs like the Ecosport / Nexon / Brezza.

Not sure what was Hyundai thinking with this product
DCEite is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 22:22   #486

I agree with your analysis. I am calling the Hyundai showroom and asking for my money back.

I did a test drive of Nexon, and Ecosport. While the Nexon is priced well, its ride quality is not that great. One can feel the road bumps and some amount of road noise while driving. The Ecosport that way is a great vehicle but given the pricing of approx 13L.....that a lot for a sub-4m vehicle.
Old 25th May 2019, 22:23   #487
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Too early to call, but how did Hyundai get the whole interior space thing wrong? You have 3 live examples in the Market, the Brezza, the Ecosport and the Nexon for more than 2-3 years now. My guess is that a manufacturer like Hyundai would have analysed the specs of these cars in and out and they might have even had these cars in house as constant reference points. All of the three nearly sell 20k a month between them, so surely Hyundai should have and would have studied them closely.

And yet they came up with something that seems visibly short of space. I mean, this cannot be subjective since space is measurable!

And this is a global car! They have launched it in the US and other markets too. I do not think the car that is in other markets is significantly bigger than the one in India. They might have cut a few millimetres here and there like even ford did with the Ecosport, yet there is no reason why the Venue should be short on space!

Thats probably poor design! I have not seen the Venue in person, by my guess is that they tried to mimic the Creta until the B pillar, thereby creating a longer front, may be, and thereby had no where to go when it came to the rear space. Just an assumption, may be when we have proper dimensions we can have better clarity.

But this is just lack of intelligence from Hyundai. They should learn how to manage space inside from Honda. In fact, Hyundai did something similar in the Verna as well. Visibly short in cabin space compared to the city and the Ciaz,although the overall dimensions of all three cars are quite similar. But they sort of got away with it. But I do not think they will be able to do so with the Venue.

Last edited by motorworks : 25th May 2019 at 22:24.
Old 25th May 2019, 22:24   #488
BHPian

Got this from a Facebook group. Venue sure looks small.

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-fb_img_1558803057888.jpg

Credit to the respective owner.
HarshGtR is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 22:40   #489
Bee
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGtR View Post
The angle of the picture is totally unjustified for the Venue . This perspective makes the side cars look huge in comparison (more particularly how wide they look), whereas, Creta and Venue have a difference of just 1cm in their widths
Bee is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 22:49   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Im sorry to go Offtopic but one more small question lingers in mind, can't they just implement the feature and also add a safety mechanism wherein it will only start if the gear is in neutral? If they get the remote start into the diesel, then I'm ready to suffer inferior interior space.
I'm sure that they can. But having a sensor to identify neutral in an H gate transmission (the ones used in cars) is a lot more complicated than in a sequential transmission (used in motor bikes). The usual method to identify the gear for display in the MID in cars is based on back calculation of engine speed and vehicle speed ratios rather than using sensors.

Secondly, it is always a good practice to park manual transmission cars in gear ALONG with the hand brake to add a failsafe. Enabling what you suggest would be a way of the company to discourage the practice.

BTW, just curious, why is this feature so important that is absence is a deal breaker for you? I frankly am not a fan of this feature as this would be a feature to add additional pollution when not even using the car. It would also introduce am additional way for tech savvy thieves to hack into the signals and maybe drive away with the car.
niteshbids is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 23:23   #491
BHPian

After pre-booking the Venue DCT in the start of May, I finally got a chance to test drive the car. After the drive, I decided to proceed the purchase, and should be getting the car before the 31st.

After eventually being able to spend some time with the car, I think I'll be able to give a real-world report about a lot of the concerns we've been having on this thread. Let's hope this isn't an expensive mistake

Last edited by KaranP : 25th May 2019 at 23:24.
KaranP is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 00:50   #492
BHPian

Venue gets 17000 bookings since launch, 35% bookings for the diesel variant.

Quote:
Given that Hyundai has committed to clear the initial 15,000 orders by July 2019, expect the company to have despatched plenty of Venues to its dealerships this month. This also means that the Venue could debut in the Top 5 Utility Vehicles chart for May 2019

Source
pacman2881 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 01:03   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Just saw the test drive Venue in white.
It doesn't look small for the class (sub-4 meter). Yes it's smaller than Brezza, but perfectly usable for small family of average proportions, & those upgrading from small cars.
You just made my day by saying this - it is indeed a perfectly usable car for small family & those upgrading from small cars I know since I fit into this description perfectly and hence eagerly looking forward to proceeding with its purchase.

As a thank you gesture for making my day, here is a picture of the white test drive car, which I drove shortly in the morning- it undoubtedly looks (and feels) 'the car' for me!
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_9025.jpg  

CarStruck is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 01:14   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Given that Hyundai has committed to clear the initial 15,000 orders by July 2019, expect the company to have despatched plenty of Venues to its dealerships this month. This also means that the Venue could debut in the Top 5 Utility Vehicles chart for May 2019

The confirmation form sent by dealers to whoever booked for further filling in notes the waiting period as 12-16 weeks, at least in Hyderabad.

I wonder if the July date holds.

Last edited by Glass : 26th May 2019 at 01:15.
Glass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 01:18   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubectl View Post
I had loads of fun driving the 1.0 DCT in manual mode but auto mode is very sluggish because of 2 reasons -
- turbo lag can last upto 2600 RPM
- DCT does not hold gears at all

So you're always in turbo lag in bumper-to-bumper traffic, so no quick overtakes because of poor throttle response and turbo lag - which translates to about 2 seconds of lag in response from the engine after you depress the pedal.

If you're mostly on highways, you'll enjoy the DCT - but it's not the one for daily commute.

If I had to get a Venue, I'd get the 1.0 engine with manual transmission so as to evade the horrible low-end tuning of the DCT.
I felt so too I had the opportunity to take 2 test drives back to back yesterday and today. In Gurgaon, Hyundai showrooms have this combination for Venue test drive cars - MT Diesel & DCT Petrol. I drove both, albeit from different dealers and each for 10 minutes or 5 kms - that's the limitation which the SA informs before the test drive due to 'the rush in the showroom'.

I found the MT Diesel much more smooth and enjoyable compared to the DCT petrol, primarily due to lag in pick-up after slowdown or sudden stops while driving slowly due to crawling traffic or negotiating a U-turn. The petrol was comparatively a little more silent than the diesel one. I wish they had a MT petrol and I could check it out as that combination in my choice for the car.

Last edited by CarStruck : 26th May 2019 at 01:21.
CarStruck is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks