Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Venue turbo petrol DCT(11.1L)
VS
New Ecosport petrol TC auto(11.36)
VS
Preowned city petrol CVT (12L-15k done )
VS
Preowned Creta 1.6 petrol TC auto (14L-15k done)
VS
Preowned Jazz auto(7L-15k done)
VS
Preowned Corolla Petrol CVT(14L)
You know Ford well now Among the lot, my vote goes to Ecosport. I would have voted Venue, but i have doubts on DCT. I know Ecosport is long in tooth now but still quite the best around there. With compact SUV's you need not worry about GC and I believe more practical for Indian roads.
Old 27th May 2019, 16:46   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
If the comparison is between diesels, and top-most priority is handling, the Ecosport should be the choice eyes closed. Upon TD'ing the Ecosport I realized it handles like a car, more like a sedan defying the physics of it's higher ground clearance, somehow. Also, simple stage-1 remaps through OBD (by Wolf or Code6) make the Ecosport highly fun to drive with more linear power delivery.

I do not think any of the C-SUV's can match the handling of Ecosport. However, if you like ride comfort and more plush drive like floating on the roads, I'd advise you to go with Venue, Hyundai being known to provide such characteristics. I could be wrong though because the statement is based on existing Hyundai cars, not Venue which I have not yet TD'ed. The Ecosport ride is (I think) the stiffest among all C-SUVs, although I do not feel that is uncomfortable.
Venue’s ride is much worse than ecosport’s. it’s too stiff and it’s very different from typical Hyundais. All venue has going for itself is the feature list, that too more of the bling ones than of real use. Ecosport is definitely a better product. I booked mine today after driving venue, Verna, Creta and eco.
bled_soul is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 17:18   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need help guys

Not so impressed with the Venue

Preowned Creta petrol auto shouldn't be so costly. I have seen them go for 12-13L for petrol auto.

Besides, if you are open to buy pre-owned cars, no new car can compete on sheer value.
Old 27th May 2019, 17:27   #529
BHPian

I got a chance to have a look at the much anticipated venue at the showroom and I must say all the anticipation shredded pretty soon. There were three of us who went in to check out the car, one amongst us was 6 feet tall and he was barely one inch below the roof in the co-driver seat. Any rough pot hole surely gets him. Things turned worse when we decided to check the rear space. It was even hard to get in the car and move towards the rear mid seat and finally when three of us managed to settle in the rear seat, we couldn't even sit there for a minute. Funny thing, our SA was trying to convince us to buy this car and take it out only with 4 people always. There was i20 just beside the venue, compared to i20 Hyundai got everything wrong with the venue except for blue link gimmicks.

We moved on to check XUV300 immediately and that felt much better in comparison to the rear space. Wouldn't go into much details about XUV300 here but I must say I'm pretty much disappointed with the space management in Venue. I was told i20 Active would be stopped sooner and Venue is the replacement for it. Would be a better chance to grab some discounts on the i20 Active maybe
SpideyBoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 17:29   #530

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I was in the same dilemma a few months back, and while I was initially ready to purchase the Ecosport, a few things made me cancel my booking and opt for a different vehicle:
===
In my view, the petrol versions make MUCH better sense unless your monthly running is in 2500-3000 kms range, given the negligible price difference between the two fuels today.
Thanks very much for your inputs arindambasu. Well this surely makes my life a bit difficult now. I was almost ready to jump into the fray to buy the Ecosport.
I was not aware of the heavy clutch in Ecosport Diesel. I just test drove it two times and there was not much heavy traffic since the showroom is actually on the highway.
It felt really fun to drive. Now if there is such a heavy clutch then it might become a deal breaker.
My running is 1000-1500 Kms per month. But again I thought if I am buying a diesel car I might really increase my travel each month since the diesel price is a bit less and also gives a better mileage.
One of the reason for the 1000 odd Kms per month running is mainly due to the petrol cost and a not so efficient running in the city.
My assumption is if I had a diesel I may do more kms per month. I am a bit confused now as I was almost fixated on the Diesel Ecosport.

So finally which car did you decide upon?
Old 27th May 2019, 17:39   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Need help guys

Not so impressed with the Venue
=====
Thank you
I totally agree with you on the Venue part. Based on the options you have put-forth, this would be my ordered list:

1. Preowned Creta 1.6 petrol TC auto (14L-15k done) - For creature comfort and little more space. I think you can get an excellent condition 2017 Creta for around 12-13L

or

New Ecosport petrol TC auto(11.36) - For a driving enthusiast. I heard there are some offers going on at the moment.

2. Preowned Corolla Petrol CVT(14L) - Corolla is a very good chauffeur driven car, I hear. But, it is spacious and is feature rich.

3. Preowned city petrol CVT (12L-15k done ) - The Ground clearance of this car is an issue esp during rains. Otherwise, this is a fantastic choice. There is one 2017 Top-end CVT run less than 10k kms on sale around the price you have mentioned.

I have no opinion on Jazz, so I will leave it out at the moment.

--Kalyan

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th May 2019 at 17:48. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Old 27th May 2019, 19:06   #532
Senior - BHPian

All these comparison pics only highlight half of the doubt, sure car looks comparable to other car on the outside, but the story is different from in Inside! This is a good thing for buyers like me, who prefer easy to drive cars, but many would miss the "big car" feel while driving.
giri1.8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 21:42   #533
BANNED

Just visited the Hyundai showroom and looked at the Venue. Looking for an automatic for wife .
- The front looks good enough, with the whole thing looking stouter in comparison to other
CSUV's.
- The rear space is good for two adults.
- The front seats are comfortable.
- The tires and alloys looks great.
- Headroom is not that great.
Checked the Nexon after that and I must say the seats , space and build quality are at a different level. If not for the AMT, I would have bought the Nexon!
DCT version of Venue is not ready for test drive, will do a test drive of both in the coming week.
The Rationalist is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 07:48   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Venue likely to get a Mild Hybrid System that would increase fuel efficiency along with minor torque assist.

-Expected to get a 12V mild hybrid system like the Ciaz and Baleno.

-Likely to be launched in India before 2022 to meet CAFE norm

Quote:
Hyundai’s latest SUV, the Venue, may soon get a mild hybrid system paired with its new Kappa T-GDI 1.0-litre, 3-cylinder turbo-petrol engine
Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 08:59   #535

Quote:
Originally Posted by bled_soul View Post
Venue’s ride is much worse than ecosport’s. it’s too stiff and it’s very different from typical Hyundais. All venue has going for itself is the feature list, that too more of the bling ones than of real use. Ecosport is definitely a better product. I booked mine today after driving venue, Verna, Creta and eco.

Well again this is a new one for me. I never even thought that the venue ride would be harsher than the Ecosport. Hyundai are known to have very good rides at slower speeds and at higher speeds it gets a bit uncomfortable and the handling gets nervy.
Ecosport was known to have a bit stiffer ride anyway. But it helps for the sportier riding style and I am quite happy with it.
The only thing I am worried about is the heavy clutch in Ecosport which will make it hard to drive in congested city like Pune.
Old 28th May 2019, 09:18   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco_Driven View Post
I was not aware of the heavy clutch in Ecosport Diesel. I just test drove it two times and there was not much heavy traffic since the showroom is actually on the highway.

My running is 1000-1500 Kms per month. But again I thought if I am buying a diesel car I might really increase my travel each month since the diesel price is a bit less and also gives a better mileage.

So finally which car did you decide upon?
Yes, the clutch is definitely heavy. There is no question about the fact that it becomes cumbersome to drive in Bangalore traffic. I say this after taking multiple test drives in various traffic situations, including in peak hour traffic and late night, when roads are freer. Be very aware of this fact, because newer test drive vehicles will most likely not reveal this point to you. In fact, it was only after three or four test drives from different showrooms that this point struck me and I actually thought about it. I would have missed or ignored it completely otherwise.

The XUV 300 has a much lighter clutch, at least from what I experienced in the new test drive vehicles. Even the Nexon clutch felt slightly lighter. Not sure about the Venue since I have not test driven it.

I finally bought Honda City iVTEC, and I am glad I made that decision. I have always loved the car, and got a superb deal from Honda towards the financial year end in March. Fantastic vehicle, and given my monthly running of 1000-1200 kms, makes perfect sense. I was also not keen on purchasing a automatic since I wanted to have the last bit of fun with a nice petrol engine mated to a slick gearbox. I am sure that for my next change, I will have no choice but to select an automatic car, given the way traffic is worsening.

Even if your travel increases, I am not sure that it would increase so much as to genuinely warrant a diesel - whether Ecosport, Venue or anything else. The Dragon engine on the ES is good enough (though I was not too impressed with its performance), and if you can stretch your budget, check out the 1 liter Ecoboost variant (if you want to stick to Ecosport, that is). The Dragon also comes with the AT, which would resolve the clutch issues altogether.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 28th May 2019 at 09:25.
Old 28th May 2019, 10:42   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
A 6 footer says the arm rest is placed too far back!! What is it with the latest cars and their far-away placed arm rest? Case in point: Toyota Yaris. If at your height you feel the armrest is placed too far back, the average height persons are better off using it as a center table for the car.

Why would you say Blue link is a hogwash? That is one of the major selling points of this car for Hyundai. Would love to hear your views.
I thought blue link was rather gimmicky and people will use it only for the first few days and also to show off to their friends, kind of like the sun roof in Chennai. Once the glamour wears off, people will rarely ever use it. This is only my personal view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Quite contrasting views.
Based on the pictures and similar comments, i believe that the space at the rear is not plenty. Brezza remains the king in this aspect. Nexon is also not bad. I think rear space could be a deal-breaker for many.
I think it has to do with my personal driving position. I like sitting closer to the steering wheel. It was certainly not a deal breaker in my case. But I would understand if someone else felt otherwise.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 11:07   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
I thought blue link was rather gimmicky and people will use it only for the first few days and also to show off to their friends, kind of like the sun roof in Chennai. Once the glamour wears off, people will rarely ever use it. This is only my personal view.
In my opinion, the remote climate control is an extremely underrated feature specially for people who have to park their cars where the shades don't touch.
Which is in the majority of the cases. In a city like Delhi, it would be a big boon. The sun is really harsh and would be awesome to move from a cooled room to a cooled car. I can think of those unbearable initial moments in the car. With tints banned, I think it would be nice to have this.
I remember being introduced to that feature from Tesla and I was like WOW.

Other bluelink features, I still have to take a look.

Test drove the car on Sunday. I was really impressed with their DCT. I think this vehicle would give a tough fight to the competition.
adhd92 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 11:35   #539
Distinguished - BHPian

More than anything, I'd say Hyundai was late to the party on this one, and hence receiving the most flak (as usual with any Hyundai product).

This product was 1-2 years too late, and today the competition is fierce in this segment. The 4m restrictions for tax benefits didn't help either else they could've used the KIA Soul platform (145mm longer) to make a truly spacious, well planned car.

I checked out the car and indeed it was nothing very special, to me outwardly it is the best looking by a mile but the interiors are quite gloomy being full black and a bit on the compact side (the Elite i20 and Grand i10 fill the compact people mover role already). The interior build quality, hmm, when compared to the Elantra it isn't anywhere close, some of the panels have a slight flex and the floating tablet computer is poorly integrated even by floating standards.

I too believe that the tech part will get old quick, so buying it for that aspect purely won't make sense, I hardly use the tech in my car unless for sure I need guidance to a destination. No mirroring, no reading messages, no answering calls etc, I keep it old school.

The Venue will find its takers at the end of the day, even where there is absolutely no niche to fill between the i10, i20 and Creta.. they need to rework the interior color combos and make it a bit more youthful and funky to appeal to that segment of buyers, as someone else had written before, it is the closest to an affordable Mini Countryman (of sorts).

The ride is middle-ground, neither hard nor soft (best way to describe this, period, coming from my experience of having driven many Hyundais and many German cars). I'd have preferred a bit more softness and the automatic is nothing to write home about (I felt the same way about Polo TSi), a torque converter is way more predictable and smoother and doesn't grunt (as much) like a pig when needing quick overtaking, I absolutely hate autoboxes when they downshift and hold on endlessly. Give me a manual turbo any day so I can keep the revs all the way down while giving just enough throttle to match the right gear.

Overpriced by a lakh or so (top end), but give it time and the discounts will start, this niche is very competitive.
dark.knight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 11:51   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Rear legroom was fine, I am 6 ft and my 6ft dad did not complain when he sat behind me.

The road I drove on were quite bad and suspension did a good job. However I couldn't test the cornering.

3 people could sit fairly comfortably in the rear seat.

Its priced quite well.

Overall I liked this car and will probably buy it next week after test driving the Ecosport one more time.
I took test drives and agree with all your observations on the Venue, especially the ones quoted above, which led to my booking it. Have you booked yours yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Quite contrasting views.
Based on the pictures and similar comments, i believe that the space at the rear is not plenty. Brezza remains the king in this aspect. Nexon is also not bad. I think rear space could be a deal-breaker for many.
True. The rear space is indeed turning out to be deal breaker from various posts on this thread. Another truth is the contrasting views Just like @Chrome6Boy has mentioned 3 people could sit comfortably in the rear, when I test drove we had 3 adults and 1 child in the rear seat but still sat comfortably! I have quoted below from my post #503

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarStruck View Post
I am happy to inform that I took another test drive today (third day consecutively), this time with my 5 family members (including 1 child) and the SA - so 6 in total. We are not exactly lean people but still managed to sit comfortably in the rear seat with the child on the middle-seated adult's lap. So the rear seat capacity is not a bother for me atleast. Moreover the adult behind me could sit comfortably with my best driving position (maximum seat height adjusted and seat pushed back for my comfort).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyBoy View Post
Things turned worse when we decided to check the rear space. It was even hard to get in the car and move towards the rear mid seat and finally when three of us managed to settle in the rear seat, we couldn't even sit there for a minute.
The above is a perfect example of the contrast expressed by @tarik.arora

Quote:
I think it has to do with my personal driving position. I like sitting closer to the steering wheel. It was certainly not a deal breaker in my case. But I would understand if someone else felt otherwise.
I did not feel otherwise at all and in sync with your valuable observations. However, quite a few are finding this a deal breaker!
CarStruck is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed