Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2019, 18:19   #616
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Hey folks,
I had the idea of buying a car and zeroed in on CSUV diesel as the hunting ground. After test driving all the options out there in April, I was awaiting for the Venue launch. I did a pre booking for a diesel SX variant. From the day of launch till today I have done 4 test drives (one decently long), read and watched almost all the reviews out there on the car. I was eagerly waiting for the TBHP official review too but have reached a point where I need to decide.
I am choosing the Venue SX because
1. At 11.3 lacs on road its value for money (compared to XUV and EcoSport, the other cars I considered)
2. Though not very sporty, it's reliable and efficient diesel engine
3. Hassle free ownership experience of a Hyundai + a better resale value
4. Liked the cabin interiors especially the short n clean dashboard
I am choosing the Venue SX despite
1. A wee bit cramped rear bench for the 3rd passenger (not as bad as some of the reviews here)
2. Ride: now out of the cars I test drove, all of them had a stiff ride but for one. That one was relatively softer. Having said that it was not a deal breaker for me.
3. Out of all the missing features in SX, it's the Push start button, rear arm rest, rear vipers that's hurting the most, but made up my mind to let go

Will be confirming the order by tomorrow and will keep you posted on the delivery and first ownership experience.

Last edited by Sreedharan : 2nd June 2019 at 18:40.
Sreedharan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 22:47   #617
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a chance to check out and drive the Venue DCT today. Had to visit the VW service center for my Vento TSI and had a couple of hours to kill, the Hyundai showroom was next door and hence decided to check out the Venue.

For reference, I drive a Vento TSI DSG, in the immediate family we have an Ecosport DCT and a new Nexon AMT- Both of which I have driven a reasonable amount and continue to drive once in a while.

The showroom was Trident Hyundai on Outer Ring Road- KR Puram Bangalore. Was attended to quickly, made an entry in their register and noticed the 10-15 entries before mine were all for the Venue. Expected a long wait for TD, but surprisingly had to wait only 5-10 minutes.

A summary of my observations and comments(Focusing more on the drive):

• Looks: In my view, the Venue does not have the presence of the Ecosport , nor the quirkiness of the Nexon. A nice looking car- Nothing that makes it really stand out. In addition, soon there will be 1000's of them on the road. So not a car to buy to stand out from the crowd.

• Build: Felt solid. Of course, not an indication of anything, but had a sturdy feel to it.

• Interiors: Typical Hyundai. Everything felt and looked premium. Good looking interiors. Nothing to complain about.

• Space: A lot has been said about how it it smaller as compared to the competition. It is definitely not as spacious as the Ecosport or Nexon at the back, but not bad at all. I could comfortably sit in the back after setting the driver seat to my liking (I am 5'11). It is meant to be a compact SUV and I think does its job.

• Boot: Very decent boot. Looked practical too.

The most important part- The Drive.

• Was able to do a pretty decent drive of around 10km. Being a Sunday, the outer ring road had just the right amount of traffic. Some open stretches too.

• Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised at the turbo petrol+DCT combo. After reading some of the comments here, thought it would be pretty bad. That was not the case.

• Pop it into D mode and the Venue moves off smoothly. Upshifts are pretty seamless and quick. Cabin is well insulated and not much noise filters through.

• There is definitely a lag in the initial stages, but did not feel it very pronounced. Nothing that a slightly heavy foot on the pedal does not solve.

• Once you get going, the Venue feels smooth and powerful. Up-shifts happen quickly and smoothly and did not notice any major lag in the downshifts too. My drive had several open stretches, some overtakes and a little bit of B2B crawling also. The DCT handled it all pretty well. Steering was very light at parking speeds, but seems to weigh up well as the speed increased.
  • Since it was a pretty straight and smooth road, no specific comments on the ride and handling.

• D7 came up by the time the speedo hit 80. Unlike the TSi DSG, which is eager to go all the way to 7, the Venue's DCT held at 6 for a longer time.

• Tried the manual mode and worked without any drama. I am not a big fan of the tiptronic manual mode, but it is definitely good to have.

• In the 10km that I drove, did not find the Venue hunting for gears or getting confused. This is a big issue I noticed with the Ecosport when it had the DCT and also a little in the Nexon. For an automatic, I believe predictability is very important.

• In summary, I felt the Venue DCT performance to be pretty good. Much better than the DCT from Ford and of course the AMT in the Nexon (which I personally think is pretty well implemented for an AMT). It is definitely not up there with the TSI-DSG combo, but I would say it is pretty close. It is smooth, quick shifting and the engine-gearbox combo seems to be a good one. When I drive the Ecosport DCT or the Nexon AMT, I quickly miss my TSI-DSG. That feeling did not come with the Venue.

• Which brings me to the biggest down-side- Lack of a sports mode. Not sure why Hyundai did not give it a Sports Mode. The initial lag seen would have been masked well with a sports mode. For long highway runs, while the lag in D may not be a deal breaker, an S mode would have made it effortless- The TSI DSG also has some initial lag, but the S mode helps take care of it especially in highways. Of course a simple work around would be to switch to manual mode for any quick overtakes.

• Probably another caveat to call out is that I personally am very used to the Turbo Petrol-DSG combo. Over a period of time, one learns to manipulate the throttle to force the needed gear shifts. It could be that memory easily translated into the Venue which made the drive pretty impressive for me.

• The other big downside is the price- The DCT Top version is almost 14 Lakh OTR Bangalore (Including all the add on's the dealers throw at you). That is quite expensive in my opinion. I believe the Ecosport is slightly cheaper and the Nexon is a full 2L cheaper from the last prices that I recall. Overall I think the Venue can take away some of the Ecosport numbers.

Like all Hyundai's the price is not going to stop it from selling. It has all that is required to attract the customers and drives pretty well. Expect tons of them on the road soon. The AT has a 3 month waiting period as per the sales person.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 2nd June 2019 at 22:52.
Rajeevraj is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:22   #618
BHPian

Had a brief TD of the Venue
I might have a different perspective
I am looking for an alternative to the 1.3 s cross (completed 70k km and going to be 4 years old). I was bit tired of frequent gearshifts and left foot exercise. Wanted an automatic, reasonably spacious and powerful, may be a bit more than my remapped 1.3 s cross.

+ves
Reasonably peppy engine and refined
NVH better than my S cross
Easy to drive
Okay interior
Good front seats, though a bit soft for my liking
Looks good and is almost as wide as the competition - Though not so on the inside

-ves
Turbo lag, loads of it till 2k rpm
Steering felt lifeless. However easy to use in congested roads
Brakes were okay, not as good as in the S cross, not even a patch close to Figo's brake claws
Stiff ride at low speeds
Only 2 airbags in the DCT
No rear wiper, split seats or rear arm rest
Not as peppy as a 120bhp, may be something like a 100bhp
Milage on my 10 km run was 7kmpl, the same way as I drive my S cross (I get 17kmpl)
Doors felt tinny compared to Creta parked nearby

Should I upgrade? I am a bit confused
Venue is a good family car, My wife liked it and she drove it like a breeze.
Anyway going for a TD again to convince myself not to uprade or vice versa
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:40   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Sage View Post
Taking Delivery of the SX+ DCT today
I have my UPSC tomorrow, will be able to drive the car properly tomorrow.
Attaching some pics. Decided to go with Silver like all my other cars. It is a safe color and light scratches don't show.
Many congratulations. You are one of the first to get delivery. Happy miles to you! I also prefer the silver colour for the same reasons as you have cited. I have a brick red colour one now, which is a dust and scratch magnet, causing quite an eyesore till restored!

Hope your UPSC went well. Will wait for your initial report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Saw it in a mall today, it sure made a good first impression....
Overall felt like a proper alternative to Ecosport.
Yes, this is so true!! Finally an alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
It seems from both videos that the lack of space is hyped. Hyundai have managed space well for a small family upgrading from a small car. Anything over that is a bonus I'm favour of other competitors I agree.

I now understand why this confusion is arising - minimum legroom is non existent, the seats are longer & taller, but not wider, different drivers have different driving position/ posture, & lastly a short test drive & stint in showroom is not enough for judging these aspects in totality.

You have made an innovative analysis for the space related conflicting views! Also, you're right - finally it's your car & choice, reviews can influence you, but final choice is in one's own hands.
Your conclusion is so apt - final choice in your own hands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreedharan View Post
...............I am choosing the Venue SX because....
Your thoughts for selecting the SX trim echoed mine word for word. It is VFM in comparison to all cars I tested including Ecosport, XUV 300, Brezza, Nexon, TUV, WRV (among the CSUVs) and others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
8. General ride seem to be good, but sharp undulation send a loud thud in cabin.
I felt the loud thud too on a large pothole. Here is a quote from my earlier post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarStruck View Post
I even deliberately drove it at high speed over some deep potholes on the road in front of my office and the suspension seemed fine on most except one, which caused a loud 'bang' sound. I guess I will need to be a bit more careful on craters!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
11. While discussing on road price, SA was cooperative in waiving off optional charges from the price like essential kit, handling charges etc. Now that was totally unexpected as hyundai has the hottest car of the moment with them.
It is interesting to note waiver of handling charges. The Himgiri showroom was adamant to charge this at the time of booking and on pointing out that the same is not permissible under law (I will pull out the case law on this point), the manager first tried to say that it is but could not furnish document to prove his point

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd June 2019 at 11:54. Reason: trimmed quoted post
CarStruck is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 11:14   #620
BHPian

Personally I feel that speedo console on the SX diesel trim spoils the premium looks of the Venue. I don't mind the lack of push button start or the rear vipers, but a proper MID is a must for otherwise good looking interiors.
a_myth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 11:43   #621
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Bichu for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Bichu shares pictures of the Venue next to the Creta:
Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img20190601wa0004.jpg

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img20190601wa0005.jpg
ChiragM is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:08   #622
BHPian

So while chatting with my mom yesterday, I learnt that they’re probably booking the petrol Venue. Out of curiosity I went online in the evening to see what features are available on each variant and ended my day with PTSD. Allow me to elaborate.

Full disclosure: this is going to be an irrational and long rant. I need to vent and can’t think of a better platform. I have never been overly fond of math in school. I would grit my teeth and push through (as I do with most things in life, sadly). One of my worst memories are trying to solve those D level (highest difficulty world problems) questions.

One of the topics involved making Venn Diagrams. The question would be something very imaginative and ridiculous like in a class of 200 toddlers 100 pick their noses, 90 eat crap of the floor and 75 are part of swatch bharat abhiyan. Find the number of bald hypocrite babies which eat their nose goo while supporting cleanliness. You would then draw intersecting circles and figure out the answer. Very traumatic experience and I had buried it deep in my subconscience.

Well, when I went online and looked at the Venue’s brochure all that stress came gushing back. Let’s say you are a frugal guy who believes in getting the bare minimum needed. You obviously zero in on the E variant. But then you realise you don’t get a defogger, seat height adjustment, rear luggage lamp, glovebox cooling or even a parcel tray. Ok, so you then tell yourself let me splurge a bit more. What’s a few thousands more when you’re already looking at spending a couple of lakhs. So you then move to the manual S model and pat yourself for not being a cheap bugger but also not burning money at the same time.

You feel like Thanos, perfectly balancing things as they should be. Then you realise you’re still not worthy of safety features like ESC, VSM, HAC, rear camera, projectors, that fancy IRVM with stuff like SOS switches, auto headlamps, burglar alarm, still no projectors, cornering lamps, height adjustable driver seats, DRLS, turn indicators on mirrors, touch screen and to top it all you have actually insert a key to start the car. The horror of it. So you then say if I am compromising so much, let me actually get an Auto so atleast I’ll be comfortable while I am poor. But then Hyundai tells you that you cannot get an auto with a diesel to save money. In the S trim you can’t get a USB charger either.

After all, if you can’t afford the higher models, you probably can’t afford a modern smartphone either. So why on earth do you need a USB slot? You then grit you teeth and say fine, I’ll go further up the chain and get an SX but a manual to atleast save money on fuel later on. Guess what, you’re back again to no ESC, VSM, HAC. Also no telematic switches, no smart key, burglar alarm, supervision cluster, AVNT display or that first-in-class Bluelink which is what caught your eye in the first place. You don’t get those fancy chrome handles either because it’s only available with a DCT. After all, everyone knows an Automatic needs chrome to be in optimal condition while a manual doesn’t. Oh and you still don’t get a rear wash and wipe which your neighbour’s 10 year old Wagon R has. That elusive feature sir, is only for the elite manor-born folks.

At this point you lose it and say “screw this. I am going for the most expensive model available, the SX(O). And I’ll get it in petrol and with an auto option. I want to be comfortable, safe, and have convenience. YOLO after all.” Unfortunately, you don’t know that Hyundai wants you to keep your feet on the ground. You’ll lose touch with reality if you have a petrol auto in the top variant. It’s just too much of a convenience. That’s why you only get a manual transmission here. Fine, atleast I can impress the ladies by starting my car remotely like James Bond, right? Wrong. The remote start, dear sir, is only for the DCT, which of course is only avilable in a segment below and not the top end manual. And so you end you end up in this infinite loop of trying to get the engine, tranny, and features you know is in there somewhere. The only solution: draw a Venn diagram.

Last edited by navin : 3rd June 2019 at 15:09. Reason: formatting
Iyencar is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:35   #623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRONIX View Post
These guys have gone ahead and measured the interior rear seat space of Venue vs Competition.
This is the slide of interest from the second video. Kudos to the video makers going to such lengths to measure interior space. XUV300 really shines in this area. Just being 2.6 inches wider, it adds up 8.5 inch seat width. Even Team-BHP could consider incorporating these measurements in their review, rather that simply saying on the lines of 'car is best fitted for 2 at the rear, even though third person can be squeezed in.'

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-car-legroom-comparison.png

Last edited by ani_meher : 3rd June 2019 at 12:42.
ani_meher is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:51   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
This is the slide of interest from the second video. Kudos to the video makers going to such lengths to measure interior space. XUV300 really shines in this area. Just being 2.6 inches wider, it adds up 8.5 inch seat width.[/ATTACH]
But XUV300 lose when it comes to boot space. It has just 259 Litres boot space and Venue has 350 Litres, that is 35% more than XUV300.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:06   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
But XUV300 lose when it comes to boot space. It has just 259 Litres boot space and Venue has 350 Litres, that is 35% more than XUV300.

Yes. It depends on the user profile, whether he prefers interior space or boot space.
ani_meher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:35   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
This is the slide of interest from the second video. Kudos to the video makers going to such lengths to measure interior space. XUV300 really shines in this area. Just being 2.6 inches wider, it adds up 8.5 inch seat width. Even Team-BHP could consider incorporating these measurements in their review, rather that simply saying on the lines of 'car is best fitted for 2 at the rear, even though third person can be squeezed in.'
Any reason Nexon was left out. It would be right up on top with the rest for both Space and Boot capacity
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:36   #627
BHPian

Autocar reviews the 1.0 MT & BlueLink
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:40   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Any reason Nexon was left out. It would be right up on top with the rest for both Space and Boot capacity

Well it's not my video, but the video maker says in the youtube comments that arranging Nexon would have taken 2-3 more days, delaying the publishing of this video. Hence he did not add Nexon to the mix.
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:59   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreedharan View Post
Out of all the missing features in SX, it's the Push start button, rear arm rest, rear vipers that's hurting the most, but made up my mind to let go
This is very strange, at least Rear Wiper/Washer should have been provided on SX trim, especially on SX plus DCT this being the top of the line variant anyone can buy

Last edited by ampere : 3rd June 2019 at 14:00. Reason: fixed quote tags
Aafaq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 15:38   #630
BHPian

So now that the initial euphoria of the price announcement has settled and many have taken a look and feel of the car, I am curious to know this.

Many here agree that the interior space of the Venue is somewhat lesser than its direct competitors, the automatic transmission, which people usually buy to navigate stress free through bumper to bumper city traffic, doesn't perform that well in precisely those city conditions and the BlueLink tech (other than being able to turn on AC before getting into the car) is mostly a gimmick which many buyers may not use after the initial few days.

Keeping these observations and the mind-boggling feature distribution in mind (and keeping aside the Hyundai brand and the "futuristic" front design, for the moment), does the Venue feel correctly priced or overpriced?
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed