Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2019, 10:55   #691
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Isn't possible to add the rear wiper and washer as there would be provision for the same? I mean with some effort can't one do that?
Yup. It has been done before Link (DIY: Adding a rear wiper to the Maruti Zen).
Iyencar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 11:28   #692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I mean with some effort can't one do that?
New wiper stalk + rear wiper arm + additional wiring + adding rear washer nozzle (could involve drilling a hole) + laying additional pipe for washer fluid.

Come on! I don't think anyone would be going to such great lengths to add a function that will be used infrequently while driving. It's not that we use the rear wiper on clear days or keep it always ON even on rainy days.

While I agree that rear wash/wipe is good to have, end of the day it does not contribute as an active safety feature. One can surely live without it. That said, the feeling of getting shortchanged even while paying upwards of a million bucks will always be there.

I know many people will not agree with my point but I do not consider the lack of rear wash/wipe a dealbreaker if rest of the car satisfies my needs. Features such as airbags, ABS and proper neck restraints (and even rear fog lamp) are more important in my opinion.

Last edited by self_driven : 8th June 2019 at 11:31.
self_driven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 11:30   #693
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't possible to add the rear wiper and washer as there would be provision for the same? I mean with some effort can't one do that?
I may sound naive, but in my 12 years of car driving never ever came across a scenario where the unavoidable need of a rear wiper was felt. Yes a rear defogger is a wonderful must have feature but a rear wiper is just a good to have feature nothing which one cannot live without.
hydraulicsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 11:45   #694
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
I may sound naive, but in my 12 years of car driving never ever came across a scenario where the unavoidable need of a rear wiper was felt.....
Never driven a hatchback on a highway in the rain, esp. with truck traffic around you? The rear windshield mucks up faster than a kid in a mud pool, rendering the IRVM useless.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th June 2019 at 11:47.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 12:12   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Never driven a hatchback on a highway in the rain, esp. with truck traffic around you? The rear windshield mucks up faster than a kid in a mud pool, rendering the IRVM useless.
During rainy highway runs the poor sweep area provided by these tiny rubbers call for manually wiping the rear wind shield for a safer drive. Thats why it is just good to have a rear wipe and it is not effectively a deal breaker. 2 cents from my experience rest to each his own.
Old 8th June 2019, 13:31   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
+1. Not just hatchback, my EcoSport has had its rear windshield drenched with muddy splashes from heavier vehicles on severely rainy days on the highway. The rear washer/wiper definitely helps.

[Rant Alert!]

I've seen many people dismiss smaller safety features off hand. I see many guys driving with their car's ORVM closed! Many riders remove their bike's mirror, apparently that makes them look more macho and stylish! People making turns without indicating, makes me want to yell at them to get their indicators removed and get refund from manufacturers! These small features may not be very apparent safety features, but they do make life safer for us and others on the road. But then, I see people completely obstructing their rear windshield by placing plush/soft toys on the parcel tray, so they wouldn't bother with rear washer/wiper anyways!

More

When I was looking to buy the EcoSport last year, I took a test drive of the Duster CVT. The enthusiastic Renault SA kept cutting off my points favouring EcoSport over the Duster with many illogical arguments. One among them was regarding airbags, when I mentioned that EcoSport top end AT variant has 6 while Duster has only 2, the guy said 2 airbags is more than enough since most crashes are usually frontal hence side and curtain airbags are unnecessary. I look forward to Hyundai SAs telling similar story about lack of rear washer/wiper to prospective customers!
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 14:18   #697
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
During rainy highway runs the poor sweep area provided by these tiny rubbers call for manually wiping the rear wind shield for a safer drive. Thats why it is just good to have a rear wipe and it is not effectively a deal breaker. 2 cents from my experience rest to each his own.
The bigger problem is the dirt mucks up side windows too, so visibility to the ORVMs (and the mirrors themselves getting dirty) and over your shoulder aren't optimal either, so I'd take every clean inch of glass I can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
...I see people completely obstructing their rear windshield by placing plush/soft toys on the parcel tray!
You forgot the burning desire to showcase the entire clan's name, salutations to the family deity and often pictures of their favorite filmstars!

'Who needs backwards visibility when I'm barely watching where I'm going ahead of me?'

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th June 2019 at 14:24.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 15:04   #698
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
+1. Not just hatchback, my EcoSport has had its rear windshield drenched with muddy splashes from heavier vehicles on severely rainy days on the highway. The rear washer/wiper definitely helps.
Yes it does, due to the shape of the rear end, a lot of dirt accumulates on the rear windshield compromising safety.

I have to say that in five years, I have never used the rear wiper even once when the car is moving, (I do not remember whether to twist forward or backwards on the stalk!!). Even on a long trip I make sure to go out and wipe the glass with a microfiber towel whenever I stop for a break.

It's an inconvenience for sure but certainly can do without it.
Old 8th June 2019, 15:35   #699
Senior - BHPian

My experience on our highways in the monsoon says a rear wiper is a must have. In a hatchback it literally takes just 15 minutes for the rear visibility to go to zero in the rains.
Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_20180815_14424001.jpeg
I think this gives a clear picture!

Hyundai is the only manufacturer that treats the rear wiper as such a luxury feature that's offered only on the highest variant. I was quite surprised to see so many i20 Asta's without a rear wiper and of course now the Venue.
fiat_tarun is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 15:54   #700
BHPian

Rear wiper & wash is needed during rains for sure

Check my car rear on a trip to Kedarnath during the monsoons
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_3665.jpg  

GSMINC is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 23:13   #701
BHPian

Checked out the Hyundai Venue today. From the front it looks good, but there's no hiding the compact dimensions. For some it can actually be a boon in the crazy city traffic. Feels compact on the inside too, more like a hatch. Rear legroom is about ok, manageable but not generous. Brezza feels more spacious inside. So overall it's a bit polarizing and some may like it, some may not. But looks striking in red for sure!!

Attaching some pics with Venue alongside Santro, i20, i10, S-Cross and XUV-5OO. Looks like a midget next to the XUV. Tried my best to take pictures with accurate representation of size. For me it's a hatchback designed as an SUV and may be just what many people want.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img20190608wa0009.jpg  

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img20190608wa0007.jpg  

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img20190608wa0006.jpg  

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img20190608wa0005.jpg  

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img20190608wa0008.jpg  

Djay is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 23:33   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
My experience on our highways in the monsoon says a rear wiper is a must have. In a hatchback it literally takes just 15 minutes for the rear visibility to go to zero in the rains.
Attachment 1883050
I think this gives a clear picture!

Hyundai is the only manufacturer that treats the rear wiper as such a luxury feature that's offered only on the highest variant. I was quite surprised to see so many i20 Asta's without a rear wiper and of course now the Venue.
Same happens with my Renault duster, which amazingly has the feature from a model above base, surprising because it has overall very sparse kit. And I really appreciate it for being there and extremely useful. I'd choose a rear wash and wipe over sunroof/ avn system etc. anyday. I even enquired if this can be retro fitted on any Hyundai and I was told in the negative.
mh09ad5578 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 01:05   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Hyundai is the only manufacturer that treats the rear wiper as such a luxury feature that's offered only on the highest variant.
Not just that, they also were among the last to standardize dual airbags in the i20's lower variants while the others offered them as standard from the base. Even now, this idiotic mentality continues with the automatic unavailable with six airbags on the Venue. It remains to be seen if, like the i20, the Indian version also gets a weaker bodyshell than the export versions.

But hey, it's got a sunroof and a fancy phone app...
McLaren Rulez is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 20:44   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Looks like Brezza is feeling the heat!
The Brezza has finally met it's match. Nothing against the Ecosport or the Nexon but they just did not have the right mix of qualities to take on the Brezza. Hyundai has been very thorough in it's reading of the segment. They have rightly summarised that as long as they provide decent space the passenger leg room is not a real deal breaker in this space. And they loaded the car with so many segment firsts - a DCT, sunroof, class leading boot space and the usual Hyundai build and quality.

I chanced upon a Venue product manual when I was waiting for my wife's i10 to get serviced. It was comprehensive as I suppose it is used to train their sales personnel. It clearly brought out the strengths of the Venu v/s the competition and unlike a usual sales hyperbole there were very few points I could actually disagree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaranP View Post
So after a long wait of close to a month, I picked up my silver Venue DCT SX+ today.
Firstly congrats and wish you many miles of happiness. Drive safe!! I too drive a 1.0 litre turbo petrol in the guise of a Baleno RS. The engine was what nailed it for me and the little firecracker never fails to amuse. I am sure you will come to appreciate the same in your Hyundai especially with the 7 speed DCT.

I read about your old ride and did a double take. After the rear legroom in the City I thought the space in the Venue would be a downer. The review is excellent and well balanced.

Regarding the gear box wanting to stay in 2nd this is something that I commonly face when navigating a sharp hump. You slow down and the rpm lands in no man's land. too low for second and to much torque for first. Either way being a manual, I need to slip the clutch and rev in second or slip the clutch to lower the torque in first. I think this is similar to what your DCT is trying to do. With little more drive time, I think you will easily be able to drive around this.

I hope Hyundai does not detune this engine when they offer it in the i20 facelift as rumored. i would love to see it in a hatchback.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 9th June 2019 at 20:47.
Old 9th June 2019, 21:24   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
The Brezza has finally met it's match. Nothing against the Ecosport or the Nexon but they just did not have the right mix of qualities to take on the Brezza. Hyundai has been very thorough in it's reading of the segment.
I wold slightly disagree.
Both ecosport and nexon have superior diesel engine than Brezza.
Both have decent petrol offering.
Both are better built than brezza
Both have bigger boot than brezza
Nexon has better space management and ride quality
Ford has better quality of materials and full safety kit

Looks are subjective so did not include that.

What both Ecosport and Nexon don’t have is the brand value of Suzuki and the reach. If we see per dealer sales, the difference will not be much.
Tata has about 830 outlets and sells about 4.5k Nexon averaged monthly
Ford has some 390 outlets and sells 3.8-4K averaged monthly
Suzuki has over 2000 outlets and sells 10-11k averaged monthly
I still say Ecosport and Nexon are better buy than brezza and the after sales of both Tata and Ford is not as bad as made out to be.

Last edited by aniyo : 9th June 2019 at 21:29.
aniyo is offline   (19) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks