Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2007, 19:03   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Spyker coming to India

ET reports the ultra niche hand-made Dutch supercar maker Spyker is opening shop in India. It's twin assault will be in the form of the C8 Spyder and the C8 Laviolette

C8 Spyder:

C8 Laviolette:

Owners of these will be more idolized than a dozen Lambo owners together

Source: Make vroom, Spyker's coming to India-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Last edited by theMAG : 29th January 2007 at 19:06.
Old 29th January 2007, 19:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hardly anybody knows about Spyker even abroad leave alone in India plus they are exhorbitantly expensive. I don't think this is a very good idea since most brand-conscious affluent people would rather stick to their Lambos, Bentleys & Porsches rather than being seen driving around in a weird looking sportscar that nobody seems to have heard of!

Just my opinion though & I might be wrong here!
Old 29th January 2007, 21:09   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Hardly anybody knows about Spyker even abroad leave alone in India plus they are exhorbitantly expensive. I don't think this is a very good idea since most brand-conscious affluent people would rather stick to their Lambos, Bentleys & Porsches rather than being seen driving around in a weird looking sportscar that nobody seems to have heard of!

Spyker has taken over the Midland F1 Operation which was previously the Jordan which our own Narain Karthikeyan drove for.

Also Spyker is a kind of really niche producer of cars. They produced a grand total of 94 cars last year and look to produce 250 cars this year including a SUV tentatively called paris to peking .

Btw the Spyker F1 operation tech director is Mike Gasgoine who made the toyota F1 operation respectable and also if i am right they are powered by Audi Engines (for the Cars) the F1 Cars are going to be powered by ferrari engines

But somehow i tend to agree with you that the brand concious indian buyer might prefer to plonk the money for the Lambos and bentley than the spyker .

regards
Old 29th January 2007, 21:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

iam still wondering how they got into f1...ive heard of them sometime back only because of gran turismo...so basically i have driven one of these in gt4 and iam sorry to say they suck...
looks a lot like something DC modified...
Old 30th January 2007, 00:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

'Nouveau riche' Indians seem to be be buying anything made by white people, in their quest for approval from the same, is my humble observation!.'Spyker' would not have contemplated entering the Indian market , if they didn't see the opportunity!.White people are very smart.Unlike 'nouveau riche' indians, is my humble opinion.
nickatnite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2007, 02:03   #6
BANNED

How can somebody miss this car maker???? Especially after watching Sharon stone in basic instincts 2 for all the wrong reasons???
After Basic instincts2, this car maker has become quiet famous. They even released a limited version of C8 Laviolette Basic instincts 2 version.

I don't really know if the car will take off here. But for sure, it will find some takers here. And Spyker won't be planning to sell those in truck loads. Their sales target will be very low and exclusive.
Old 30th January 2007, 02:24   #7
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
... White people are very smart.Unlike 'nouveau riche' indians, is my humble opinion ...
Just like black people got rhythm & asians are bookish and anybody wearing a beard & a turban is a terrorist.

Man, that's one offensive racist 'humble opinion'. And what's with the inverted commas - are you trying to make a point or is it just bad grammar?

Getting back to the topic at hand, methinks the Spyder looks like a DustBuster. Which won't appeal to the noveau riche Indians because they have no need for vacuum cleaners because they have so many servants.

Maybe the Laviolette will. I quite like it's lines (accents are a bit busy, but so what?). And the strange thing is I'm old money. I've had it for about 12 minutes now.
Old 30th January 2007, 02:26   #8

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:

you never know.with the obscene amount of money that people have today,you never know what might happen.not to forget,the spyker offers even more exclusivity than a lambo,porsche etc.
Old 30th January 2007, 12:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
you never know.with the obscene amount of money that people have today,you never know what might happen.not to forget,the spyker offers even more exclusivity than a lambo,porsche etc.
Yes it's certainly more exclusive. BUT do the riche seriously want to buy a car that almost certainly no one recognises & knows about? Imagine one of these customers reaching a party or a 5-star patio in the Spyker and his friend(s) going what car is that and why the hell is it so ugly?

I don't think so, the point of spending so much money for many such people is that people will look & recognise that they drive a Bentley/Lambo which costs so much etc. etc. With Spyker it'll be different because half the time they'll be explaining to people what it is, what FE it gives & then how much it costs
Old 31st January 2007, 13:24   #10
BHPian

lol completelt agree with you raghav
Old 31st January 2007, 13:52   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Imagine one of these customers reaching a party or a 5-star patio in the Spyker and his friend(s) going what car is that and why the hell is it so ugly?
Iraghava,

I see your point, and it is definitely valid, but let me tell you that when you see one of these cars in person (though i have only seen the C8 spyder in person) it is not ugly at all.
Infact, if you take a look inside the cabin, or through the roof in this case, the quality and uniqueness of the interiors definitely do differentiate themselves from other "expensive" cars, and a lot of well to do people look for the one in a million, and dont want to be just another gallardo or 360.

cya
R

ps - Not to mention, with an annual production of ~250 cars, even the sale of 2 cars in the first year in India would be considered a success, after all you have to start building from the bottom.

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st January 2007 at 13:54.
Old 31st January 2007, 16:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

How much would this even cost Spyker....Its not like they have to set up production in India or anytihng....and I really doubt if they will have service facilities in India....all they have to do is appoint a dealer and maybe get a demo car down.....nd im sure even if they sell even 2 cars a year they will definitly make up for the investment...
Old 4th February 2007, 01:55   #13
Team-BHP Support

Why spyker is coming to India starts to make a little more sense now -

cya
R
Old 22nd November 2010, 20:38   #14
BHPian

Here is an article regarding this news that Spyker Cars coming to India in today's edition of Hindustan Times.
The article says that first 2 dealerships are expected in New Delhi & Mumbai which wil be opened in new year 2011.
Attached Thumbnails
Spyker coming to India-dsc04381.jpg  

Old 23rd November 2010, 08:58   #15
BHPian

Just an update:
According to the sales department of Spyker cars, “Spyker is always looking for the right partners in viable markets for the brand and we are discussing with a number of potential partners in many new markets, India included.”
The company hasn’t revealed the models that will be brought to India but expect them to cost upwards of Rs. 1 Crore.
Here is the link:
Spyker cars coming to India in 2011 | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks