Team-BHP - April 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   April 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/209107-april-2019-indian-car-sales-figures-analysis-3.html)

Well, it’s concerning. New launches aren’t attracting customers. One such example is the Civic that sees a sharp decline in MoM losers chart. Damn! It’s the most recent launch to get hit this big. What’s going wrong for Civic?

Maruti is also seeing a downfall. Perhaps, the hoax (opting out of diesel) that went out did have any adverse affect on their sales?

Sad to see Nexon losing out on XUV300. Good for Mahindra as their plan certainly is working out and looking to eat up further on Brezza. It’s the XUV300 features that’s drawing out customers towards it for the price it’s demanding vs the competition nearly having any features like the XUV has to offer. Nexon USP is it’s build quality and safety rating. But, seems like our society needs features at the EOD. Tata are you listening? Add in some features please so that Nexon wakes up. Or is it the facelift that’s doing rounds is affecting the current sales? Time for Maruti to bring in facelift as well as XUV300 will surely catch up now whilst Venue is gearing up.

Anyways, mostly post the election results, sales might restore its balance.

In a way, the slowdown in car sales is welcome atleast in our crowded metros.

Sales booming in rural areas or for the export market would be a good thing.

The Govt. should in fact discourage the sales of cars and two wheelers in cities and put full thrust on usable and reliable public transport. We simply don't have space for more vehicles in our crowded cities.

Sluggish month for auto industry. Apart from being politically charged, due to elections, there seems to be apprehension regarding the oncoming BSVI norm. The push towards EV might have advanced the dormant buyers decision.

Good to see alto gaining traction, refreshing facelift and safety features has made it into a goto hatch. Without any initative from the manufacturer, Tata Hexa was regarded to the background and the strobes were focused on the Harrier. I hope more footfalls in the TML showrooms should keep Hexa afloat.

31% (YoY) down for WagonR ? Is the tallboy facelift rejected or any other reason?

Had high hopes on this platform and a 7-seater is on the cards based on the new WagonR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by for_cars1 (Post 4585806)

The Govt. should in fact discourage the sales of cars and two wheelers in cities

And guess what will be the effect of such rules in India where people think rules are to punish them and look for how to circumvent the rules! They will buy new / used cars from other areas to use in cities, or will keep their old cars for longer time. This will actually add to the pollution levels in cities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by for_cars1 (Post 4585806)
...put full thrust on usable and reliable public transport.

Yes, and provide last mile connectivity. Also, provide covered and non-water-logging foot paths. People may not like to walk under 30° temperature or in a pool of water during rains.

Imposing rules from top won't work unless it is supported by real improvement in situations at the bottom level. Example? Demonitisation and the intended cashless system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gururajrv (Post 4585805)
Sad to see Nexon losing out on XUV300. Good for Mahindra as their plan certainly is working out and looking to eat up further on Brezza. It’s the XUV300 features that’s drawing out customers towards it for the price it’s demanding vs the competition nearly having any features like the XUV has to offer. Nexon USP is it’s build quality and safety rating. But, seems like our society needs features at the EOD. Tata are you listening? Add in some features please so that Nexon wakes up. Or is it the facelift that’s doing rounds is affecting the current sales? Time for Maruti to bring in facelift as well as XUV300 will surely catch up now whilst Venue is gearing up.

This is rather temporary IMO. XUV 3OO is still riding on the bookings that it has gathered over the last 2 months so 4,200 vehicles is not a big number. While Nexon is an old product (comparatively) and still managed 4,000 units when the industry went up-side down. Just wait for a couple of months and Nexon will regain its numbers. It might not regain its number 2 position as Venue will take that position in the coming months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by romeomidhun (Post 4585837)
And guess what will be the effect of such rules in India where people think rules are to punish them

Yes, and provide last mile connectivity. ..
Imposing rules from top won't work

I didn't mention that Gov't should impose any draconian/illogical rules or prohibitions. That's certainly not the right approach. The Govt can't simply not provide transport facilities and then on top of it restrict people from buying vehicles, simply won't work and illogical.

What I mean't is Govt should prioritize efficient timely and reliable public transport (with end to end connectivity of course) and fast-track them. This step will automatically de-congest our roads and reduce vehicle sales in the cities.

Not having proper public transport is exactly what the automobile lobby would wish for, so that their sales growth trend can continue. This is not the kind of growth that we want. Atleast within cities, there should be no need to drive a personal vehicle. Proper efficient convenient comfortable reliable public transport is the way to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovingeye (Post 4585665)
Agree! Also, it looks like the Fortuner/Endeavour buyers don't care much about the impending BS VI related uncertainties. I suspect people might buy more of these two before April 2020. There may not be any big year end discounts to be had. :Frustrati

Add to this, the companies themselves throttling supply closer to the embargo to prevent stocks piling up unsold. So the big fat discount that many (including myself ) are waiting for might not be that big at all.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 (Post 4586058)
Add to this, the companies themselves throttling supply closer to the embargo to prevent stocks piling up unsold. So the big fat discount that many (including myself ) are waiting for might not be that big at all.:)

Ha ha!! Time to take the proverbial plunge then, huh? I've requested a test drive of the Endeavour this Saturday. The showroom has said they don't have a test drive vehicle available and that they will try to arrange one and let me know if they were able to on Friday.

I would like to compare the Hexa XTA's driving characteristics and overall feel (not the bells and whistles of course) with the Endeavour. And if I find the Endeavour to be the better driving experience, I will start arranging finance etc and take the plunge. But, if it turns out that both are comparable or even close, I'll save myself a good 20 lakh and buy the Hexa.

Sorry, :OT.

This is a bit crazy, Hexa is selling less than the Safari.

Wonder what's going though the Hexa's product management team in TML headquarters.

All that money spent on Aria->Hexa conversion would have been far better spent on making the Storme better. Amazingly stupid market sensing and product planning by the chaps in those teams.

Despite the absolute lackadaisical attitude by TML and it's dealers, about 500 Indians pay 17 Lakhs every month for the Safari, for the past so many years. Not sure how much more validation they need to start investing in this brand.

Most likely this brand is suffering due to dirty internal politics at TML.

cheers
lazy

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarik.arora (Post 4585866)
This is rather temporary IMO. XUV 3OO is still riding on the bookings that it has gathered over the last 2 months so 4,200 vehicles is not a big number. While Nexon is an old product (comparatively) and still managed 4,000 units when the industry went up-side down. Just wait for a couple of months and Nexon will regain its numbers. It might not regain its number 2 position as Venue will take that position in the coming months.

I agree. We must wait for another few months with XUV3OO showing real sales figures and Hyundai with Venue in market. Also, rumours are that Nexon facelift is also in works. This segment is getting interesting.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovingeye (Post 4586072)
I would like to compare the Hexa XTA's driving characteristics and overall feel (not the bells and whistles of course) with the Endeavour. And if I find the Endeavour to be the better driving experience, I will start arranging finance etc and take the plunge. But, if it turns out that both are comparable or even close, I'll save myself a good 20 lakh and buy the Hexa.

Please do share your comparison of Hexa and Endeavour. There is a lot of difference buck-wise, Tata is known from VFM products. It will be really interesting to see Automatic comparison of both, though I know which would be better ... still interested to learn from your experience!!

It is very sad to note that Marazzo is failing. I do not see any Marazzos running on road. The reduced factory push indicates, dealers are less optimistic in stocking Marazzo in their stock yard.

When I read the news that Mahindra has plonked a 1.5L engine, I was shocked.Also the on-road price of 15L is too much for a Ertiga competitor. Mahindra narrowly missed a winning opportunity by pricing Marazzo wrong.

Being a Xylo owner, and after test-driving the Marazzo, I felt Marazzo is a down grade, rather than an upgrade or alternate choice for Xylo owners.

XUV300 numbers are I feel a one off and would be down in a month or max two. Hyundai Venue would take a big chunk in the segment.

Compass and Harrier numbers are decent. Harrier numbers should rise further soon.

Civic numbers now make some sense for the segment.

Are Kia and MG entering India at the wrong time? (Even if the products are right.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovingeye (Post 4585665)
Agree! Also, it looks like the Fortuner/Endeavour buyers don't care much about the impending BS VI related uncertainties. I suspect people might buy more of these two before April 2020. There may not be any big year end discounts to be had. :Frustrati

@rovingeye - Endeavour holding its own seems to have given confidence to it's maker. Ford increases price of the endeavour. We can Shave off a lakh from the prospective savings from year end discounts if we are waiting that long just for discounts to be had. :D Anyway this hike was bound to happen.

All vehicle segments register de-growth in April 2019

As per the vehicle registration data released by the Federation of Automobile Dealers Associations (FADA), vehicle sales continued their downward trend in the month of April 2019.

April 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-april19.jpg

2-wheeler sales were down by 4% at 12,85,470 units compared to the previous month. The personal vehicle segment also registered a marginal de-growth of 2%. 2,42,457 units were sold in April 2019 compared to 2,46, 615 units in the previous month.

3-wheeler sales were down by 12% from 53,573 in March 2019 to 47,183 units in the last month. While the commercial vehicle segment saw a slight growth of 2% compared to the previous month, sales were down by 16% compared to the same period last year.

Link to Team-BHP News