Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2019, 15:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: What's your least favourite interior of all time?

Datsun Go interiors are big NO NO
Attached Thumbnails
What's your least favourite interior of all time?-datsun5.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 15:44   #17
BHPian

Another one that I hated were the previous generation Toyota Innova interiors. Mind you I still don't like any of the interiors that Toyota comes up with.
kartavya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 18:40   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Out of the cars I have seen, it has to be the Honda Economy models like - Jazz First Gen, Brio (supposed to be a premium hatch)
I'm surprised. I quite like the interior of first-gen Jazz, both in terms of aesthetic and functionality.
Kabeer_ts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 00:13   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone loved that mehndi coloured dashboard of the 1st-gen Ford Figo?

What's your least favourite interior of all time?-ford_figo_01.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 00:13   #20
BHPian

I am only answering based on the looks. I am not including quality since it is obvious that a 4/5 lakh car can never be as good quality as a 40/50 lakh car

So based on looks, I hate anything with central mounted drivers/instrumental console. Like for example, Indica Vista, Chevy Spark or Nano and such.

Apart from that, another car I really couldn't digest is the Go/Go+. I know it's build to a cost but when I first saw it in person, I couldn't believe my eyes as how bad it looks for a car costing 5.80L on road?
Old 10th May 2019, 00:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

I'd give the award to the Etios. It just defines lack of effort and arrogance on Toyota's part. There are no ergonomic flaws, but Toyota simply decided that the car didn't need good interiors.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 01:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Anyone loved that mehndi coloured dashboard of the 1st-gen Ford Figo?
Hell no! I actually keep repeating about this nonsensical pallette in a few threads. And I also realize, I haven't posted my list of interior disasters. The mehendi 1st gen Figo is 3rd in my list.

Number 2 - Honda cost cutting triplets namely Brio, Amaze and Mobilio. Jelly bean seats, weird looking fascia among many of the in-your-face cost cutting pieces.

Amaze survived and Honda thankfully have revved away to a more presentable interior in the 2016 facelift.

Number 1 - Launch interiors of Toyota Etios in 2010. Godawful pallette, dull fascia, ancient looking AC vents and integrated headrests Till date is one of the prime examples of what you shouldn't do in the interiors of car in India.

Toyota lazily responded in 2014, but by then the market had moved on. Today its a practical car with liveable interiors. Alas, this market isn't very kind towards launch disasters. Thanks to its generous boot, its found a place in the taxi market.

Notable mentions:
Maruti Ignis - Too polar for my liking.
Nissan and Fiat cars haven't kept up with the market are behind a generation or 2. Their bosses aren't interested in promoting the brand, so no point considering these.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 05:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

I think the perspective and context of price and the segment is totally lost on some of the choices. Datsun Go for example is not supposed to have luxury interiors but for its segment and price, its just fine.

On a manufacturer level, I have never liked the interiors on any Maruti except possibly the last gen Swift but even then the plastics were hopeless. On the other hand Hyundai interiors are mostly great from their cheapest cars to their most expensive one except for the Tuscon. That interior does not justify the pricing.

Among the luxury car makers, I simply do not like Audi drab grey interiors in the Audi A4 even though the quality is just fantastic. In that segment, Mercedes has the best interiors along with the Infiniti Q50 which I bought specifically for the interior presentation.
Old 10th May 2019, 08:10   #24
BHPian

Apart from Etios twins, I dislike the dashboard design and quality of the brezza. It suits to be in a budget hatchback but not in a 10+ lakh compact suv.
What's your least favourite interior of all time?-images-7.jpeg

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 10th May 2019 at 08:13.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 08:55   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Datsun Go interiors are big NO NO
Even at its cheap price, the Datsun Go was a disaster.

A glovebox without a lid!

YUCK handbrake:

The most basic head-unit I've ever seen (although I agree with the importance given to the smartphone):

Dealers trying to sell it as a 6-seater saying "you can sit 3 at the front" & Datsun encouraging the practice. Notice there is no gap between the front seats:
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 09:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

When I look at the pics of some of the new cars this dashboard of a pre 1963 Mark 1 Ambassador with all OE meters and switches intact has a classic timeless elegance about it that is a lot better than any of the others.

And that's despite having its meters in the centre. Note the after market rev counter indicating it's not just another Ambassador.
Attached Thumbnails
What's your least favourite interior of all time?-1image.jpeg  

Last edited by AMG Power : 10th May 2019 at 09:31.
AMG Power is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 10:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Its the price point that matters. M800/Alto etc had not-so-good interiors, but it was justified for the price we paid for it.
M800 / Alto may be, but what about the pricier cars with horrible interiors ?

Hyundai gave good looking & good quality interior in their cheapest car Eon which is way better than not only Alto but also more pricier Wagon R. Also if we compare Grand i10 / Tata Tiago / i20 etc's interior Vs much pricier Maruties, Toyotas etc, I don't think the interiors of many cars are not justified for the price.

Last edited by Asish_VK : 10th May 2019 at 10:13.
Asish_VK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 10:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Ohh! I meant more the Wagon R, & the Gen II Zen (not the Ritz and Swift nor the Alto/M800), but my vague language was at fault.

They were not exactly cheap, and yet were very basic and used brand name legacy for too long.
I used the Wagon R for 15 years and the interiors were very functional / utilitarian. Like GTO, I am very fussy about driving position, and at 6'2"Wagon R was the only car in that price band which was comfortable.
I had more issues when driving my cousin's Accord (seating position, A pillar blind spot, bottle not fitting in slot, etc.).
Even in the Storme, there are issues like the 2 front cup holders not being usable, the mobile charger being located in a place where putting mobiles is difficult etc. Whereas in the Wagon R, utilities were limited, but everything was practical.

Last edited by chinkara : 10th May 2019 at 10:38.
Old 10th May 2019, 11:03   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
When I look at the pics of some of the new cars this dashboard of a pre 1963 Mark 1 Ambassador with all OE meters and switches intact has a classic timeless elegance about it that is a lot better than any of the others.

And that's despite having its meters in the centre. Note the after market rev counter indicating it's not just another Ambassador.
thats a lovely steering wheel, i remember a taxi driver telling my dad how he managed to get a fancy looking plastic two spoke steering wheel on a trip to Bombay for his amby!! It was a big deal then - Plastic.

I see etios interiors getting a lot of attention, give it a break, take a look outside!
Etios and Liva interiors look comparitively better in comparison to its exterior.
Old 10th May 2019, 11:05   #30
BHPian

I drive the Linea and i think it provides the most comfortable seating position for all passengers among sedans this side of 10 lakhs.

I am not really picky abut how the interiors look, feel etc as long as they do not rattle and are functional. Having a lot of cub holes for keys, wallets, knick knacks, water bottles and a convenient charging point/s and above all easy accessibility. These are what i look for on the inside. My major complaint with the Linea is no water bottle holders at all. My Ford Classic had 4 in the front 2 doors.

As long as the quality of the interiors is similar on the international models i don't have a problem with it. Just that they shouldn't be taking Indian customers for granted by giving sub par plastics on the India variant. A manufacturer can provide leather dashboard, all digital and touch panels, soft touch feels etc too if you want but that will push the prices up. They have to cut on these things to arrive at a price to make it appeal to most customers.

Last edited by bharatbits : 10th May 2019 at 11:11.
bharatbits is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks