Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2019, 20:37   #46
BHPian

Re: What's your least favourite interior of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Out of the cars I have seen, it has to be the Honda Economy models like - Jazz First Gen, Brio (supposed to be a premium hatch)
Am really shocked! Are you sure you didn't mean the present Jazz? I personally benchmark the first gen Jazz dash design as the epitome of functionality and Quality without the frills. In comparison, I find the quality of plastics on the present gen Jazz cheap.

But then.. To each his own.

Last edited by handsofsteel : 10th May 2019 at 20:42.
handsofsteel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 21:49   #47
BHPian

Interesting thread. My list in terms of interiors with a mixture of bad quality, design, ergonomics (standalone and compared to competition) would be:

1) Force Gurkha: Supremely capable, but that interior is quite sad. Really fun driving it, though!
2) Toyota Etios: Toyota's arrogance thinking that they could get away with something like that after charging a premium if it had a T badge on it.
3) Early Honda Brio/ Mobilio/ Amaze: Honda's arrogance thinking that they could get away with something like that after charging a premium if it had a H badge on it.
3) Some early Tata cars like the Indicas, Estate, Sumo and Estate.
4) All Datsuns sold presently.

Any luxury segment interiors that are bad compared to competition? Is the ranking correct? Curious to know since I do not have extensive experience with these brands.

Porsche=Mercedes=Land Rover>Volvo>BMW>Jaguar

Last edited by evilmessiah : 10th May 2019 at 21:54.
Old 10th May 2019, 23:35   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabeer_ts View Post
I don't think SX4 deserves to be here. Was it the most beautiful cabin of its time? It wasn't. Did it look the worst? Well, certainly not. Also, I kind of like Yaris when it comes to interior design and ambiance. But hey, to each his own I guess.
What I did not like on the dash of the SX4, are long sloping recesses and the centre console especially the head unit of the audio system which has a mere strip display, that too in 2013-14.

As the saying goes, "Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder", its all about ones preferences and individual liking. No offences mean to anybody, mate.
Old 10th May 2019, 23:49   #49
BHPian

How about the pre-facelift XUV500? It was big on function but it was absolutely terrible on form.
Old 10th May 2019, 23:52   #50
BHPian

Etios without an iota of doubt if time quotient of the era of various ugly interiors is considered. I could not believe that Toyota designers were capable of coming out with this unless they made explicit effort to produce strictly below par interiors for third world offering. This is my personal view and please do not take offense.
gupta_chd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2019, 07:18   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Nissan Micra dashboard. The center console appears like a Frog is looking at me.
haha, that illustration of the frog though...

Truth be told, I went through the 4 pages expecting to see something about the Nissan Sunny. Well, since it shares a lot with the Micra, I'd think we are covered... however, I've always been one to favor function over form and so it doesnt really bother me much. But yes, after the 4th generation Honda City, the all black interiors of the Sunny, the circular air vents, Walkman-inspired ac console, did take some getting used to.

That said, I do see the point of this thread - there are some really drab interiors!
arnieshwartz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2019, 14:53   #52
BHPian

Saw many comments on interiors of decade old cars. In my opinion, any decade old car's interiors will look boring now. What really matters is how the interior was when compared to other cars launched at the same time period.

Moreover, most comments of bad interiors are about Maruti/Suzuki, Toyota, and Mahindras. These cars sell the most in Indian market. Whereas there are no mentions on Volkswagen or a Skoda. Shows that in Indian market the key driver of car purchase is only Reliability factor (or perception of reliability?)
Old 11th May 2019, 15:34   #53
BHPian

In my opinion Ford Figo 1st generation is my worst. The pinkish plastic was so soft that with anyone's little finger they can depress the dash. Very cheap quality work, although the leg room was one of the best on those days.

What's your least favourite interior of all time?-ford_figo_01.jpg

Not accounting Tata Indica or Indigo of those times as they were offering packages in very low price.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th May 2019 at 17:00. Reason: Uploading image as an attachment (breaking page bounds). Thanks!
haisaikat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2019, 23:37   #54
Senior - BHPian

Dashboard :
The base variant of Marazzo (D2) & last year's Innova Crysta (GX).

Both don't have even a basic 2-Din system (even though they DO have speakers) and that section is covered with hard & cheap looking plastics.

Interior :
Toyota Etios, anyday IMO. Very poor rear bench with a dreary grey interior.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 11th May 2019 at 23:39.
Old 12th May 2019, 02:38   #55
BHPian

Amongst new cars , my vote goes to the Ertiga. Cheap rotary knobs in a car priced upwards of Rs 8L.
Attached Thumbnails
What's your least favourite interior of all time?-ertiga.png  

thehighwayman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2019, 07:30   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Among the post 2010, the winner is undoubtedly the Etios/Liva siblings. We test-drove both in 2011, and while we liked the engines and the TCO proposition, the interiors were so taxi oriented that our decision was made the minute we sat inside and went for a drive.

Just look at the design! Completely bereft of any symmetry or style. I forget which Mod owned one (maybe Tanveer?) but I burst out laughing in my quiet workplace at his description of that ghastly over-bright speedometer as a reminder of the 'Land of the Rising Sun' :-)
Attached Thumbnails
What's your least favourite interior of all time?-toyotaetios01.jpg  

itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2019, 09:48   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
First gen Indica! Though the dashboard was of decent design, the dash lip near to the windscreen was peculiarly high, to the point where it was just impossible to see any part of the bonnet! For some strange reason, this design felt high for most of the drivers I have ever spoken to. Even as a passenger, remember straining my neck to get a good view outside though it was just the dashboard design which fooled you to think you were sitting quite low in the seat!

Attachment 1875042
Indica required you to be an orangutan, long upper body, even longer hands and a short pair of legs. Pre V2 was meant to be a moving Gym, you need to push start it in the morning and then without power steering the workout continued.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2019, 11:00   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Nissan Micra dashboard. The center console appears like a Frog is looking at me.
Oh, wonderful imagination! It is true that Nissan has rarely found it possible to make acceptable interiors, like its collaborator Renault. Kicks top-end may be an exception in the same way, perhaps, the Renault Fluence was.
Vipin Kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2019, 11:18   #59
BHPian

I'm still trying to understand the point of this thread while it could leave owners of cars listed here with sour taste for sure. Nevertheless, here are my picks : Good old Mahindra 'Classic' and Nissan 'Sunny'.
As some wise gentleman said , beauty is in the eyes of beholder.
Old 12th May 2019, 15:22   #60
BHPian

Don't know about others but I personally never liked the DC Avanti dash. It's one of those cars whose interior never suited the exterior, especially for what it costs.
Attached Thumbnails
What's your least favourite interior of all time?-1557654545518.jpg  

What's your least favourite interior of all time?-1557654572919.jpg  

Starfire is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks